• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the north is not sansa's
the stark claim was lost with the death of robb, the boltons have legitimacy through conquest
just like dany can't just walk to the iron throne, she needs to retake it because the targaryens have lost their claim to the baratheons

True in theory, as in Sansa can't just walk into Winterfell and tell the Boltons to get out, but not really true in principle.

Winterfell isn't a throne or a position of power to be 'won' in any way. Winterfell was built by the founder of House Stark, for the Starks. A Stark isn't going to have to rely on anyone, a Bolton least of all, to convince The North of their legitimacy.

Roose got Winterfell by betraying Robb Stark, violating guest right (or helping violate it if you want to get technical) and making a deal with the hated Lannisters. Nobody in The North is telling a Stark they'll have to prove their claim if they want Winterfell back, the Stark name runs far too deep.

Lothar

Banned
She and Littlefinger never once discussed killing Ramsey.

Marrying Ramsey makes sense because a child of the Stark line (the ex wardens of the North), and the Bolton line( the current wardens of the North) would have a very strong claim on the North.

Strong enough, that after producing one or two sons with Ramsey, it would have been very easy for her and Ramsey to take the North from Roose Bolton by force.

And once Ramsey is in charge, again, it would have been very easy for either her or one of her sons to take control of the North away from Ramsey.

The bloodline would be forever mixed with the murderers of her family. While clearly the marriage didn't make any sense and everyone knows that, this is one way the show could have been dumber. I suppose it's good to sometimes have the reminder that the writing of the show could be worse.

They didn't discuss much. She was just supposed to wait for Stannis to do something.

Yoda

I hope George has been sharing some of his drafts w/D&D, if it's just broad strokes (as they've stated) and it's up to HBO's writers to fill in the gaps It'll be Drone levels of excitement for a lot of this season.

Predictions:

KL/Lannister:
- Jamie, Cersei or Tommen will die (not all).
* I don't think it'll be Jamie, GRRM rewards people who correct flaws in their character, Jamie has (slowly) started doing that, Cersei hasn't.
- The Sparrow zealots haven't actually caused any permeant damage to the Lannisters yet, it would be out of character for George to let everyone off the hook, so someone has to take the fall.
- I don't see Lannister's ever gaining full control of King's Landing again. If Cersei survives, she'll be forced to swallow her pride and bargain with the zealots.

Bolton/Winterfell:
- Ramsey will murder/subvert Roose.
- Greyjoys will most likely be involved in this story.
- Balon will die.
- Breinne will be involved in this story until she realizes Sansa is no longer in WF.
- <insert something cool for Euron to do here>; tbh I think D&D will screw this up, I remember being so hyped about the Sand Snakes... yeah.
- Sansa will go looking for her younger brother, she won't find him.
* May get tied back into Bolton storyline
- LF hinted @ the R + L = Jon to Sansa, she may be the plot device to reveal this poorly covered up foreshadowing.

The Wall
- Red woman will resurrect John (duh)
- <insert condition which bars him from re-graining control of the Watch> this will allow the WW to get passed the wall.
- Vows no longer apply because dead/mutiny -> can go do something more interesting than the Watch
* Might become a WW sleeper agent: pacify WW from within.
- Night's Watch gets destroyed by the WWs
- Sam won't become a Maester (takes too long); will learn something about killing White Walkers.
- Someone else's storyline will cross w/Sam's

The damn desert aka Essos :
- Deany will not make it to Westeros this Season or it will be the boats leaving @ the very very end.
- Deany will first be a slave/captive -> Dragons/Khallesi(sp?) will force the Khalasar to respect her -> Dothraki replace unsullied.
- Jorah will regain Deany's respect before he dies (death may not be this season)
- Greyworm dies (he's deadweight anyway); in w/e crap happens in the city while Tyrion is trying to manage it.
- I don't see Varys sticking around, I suspect he'll go back to Westeros before the rest of the gang.
- Sons of the Harpy showdown; whoever is in charge is still at large, and the grunts that got owned in the stadium certainly aren't the entire organization.
- Something consequential that makes this entire continent worth it... It's plot significance has been to build Deany's character... and nothing else. It's clearly treated as a secondary setting in the show, and given the amount of time invested into it I think it'll go down as a mistake to have not had Deany somewhere linked to Westeros. In the book this might turn out to be Aegon, but because the show isn't including him, I'm not sure what they can do to make everything feel "worth it".

Bravos:
- I can't see anything of significance happening IN Bravos, I suspect D&D are trimming most of this plot-line.
- Arya will break from the Faceless to go assassinate someone... not sure who: candidates are: Walder Frey, Jamie Lannister, LittleFinger (I'm guessing if LF does die in the book/show, it'll be @ the hands of Sansa or Arya).

Dorne:
- Out of boredom everyone got high... upon sobering up a black pirate could be seen sailing away with all the kingdom's gold.

bengraven

I'm not as disappointed as all of you with Season 5.

I just feel like I'm doing the opposite of what I'm actually doing: I feel like I'm reading a book or comic about a movie that I'm really looking forward to seeing. I really am excited about the "movie" but am "reading" the "book" which is very different.

In this metaphor the "movie" is better than the "book" and I'm well aware of that.

OR

Maybe a better metaphor is that I'm watching a spoiler filled Wikipedia summary of the last two books in the series written by a couple of drunk guys who already read the books but can't get their facts straight.

bengraven

The biggest disappointment in season 5 is that it closed so many doors that the books left open.

True, but other than Stannis (who very well could die himself at the battle still) I didn't really care about many of the deaths. I'm more invested in if those people live or die in books.

Gigglepoo

Maybe a better metaphor is that I'm watching a spoiler filled Wikipedia summary of the last two books in the series written by a couple of drunk guys who already read the books but can't get their facts straight.

Ha! I always say the show feels like a four year old read the books but only remembered the major plot points and never picked up on the nuance of the dialogue or the motivations of those without a POV.

Poor D&D. It's hard to have too much sympathy, though. They screwed up even when they had the books to pull from.

The biggest disappointment in season 5 is that it closed so many doors that the books left open.

I imagine things are going to play out much differently in the books anyway. The show prioritized twists and shocks. The books built a world with complex characters and baffling magic. Totally different entities.

The show floundered without a villain. The books thrived when everyone became firmly grey. That's all I need to know about the goals of the respective creators.

It was a joke.

On a speculative note, I never felt like it was clear either in the book or in the show if I'm supposed to be worried about Dany at the end of the ADWD / S5. Like, do we know for sure or have a good reason to say she's really in trouble or not with the Dothraki?

I thought Dany meeting the Dothraki at the end of ADWD was triumphant for her. I didn't get that she would be taken prisoner at all. She's got a dragon right there! Maybe I misread it, though.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I thought Dany meeting the Dothraki at the end of ADWD was triumphant for her. I didn't get that she would be taken prisoner at all. She's got a dragon right there! Maybe I misread it, though.

the book made a pretty big point about how drogon flies away at sunset (or was it sunrise?) and that was pretty much the exact time of day that the dothraki show up. it seems entirely possible that drogon will bail on her.

Loke13

I thought they made it pretty clear in Season 2 out in the desert that the Dothraki weren't happy about a woman leading a Khalasar. Heck they even beheaded one of her blood riders for it.

Gigglepoo

She's found by Khal Jhaqo. Because he declared himself Khal after Drogo died, there's doubt how he'll react to Dany.

I read it as triumphant as well (especially after the pain/dreams she experienced wandering the red waste) but who knows.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if they realize that no one wants to watch characters in that room again.

It was kinda cool initially, but on reflection it's just stupid.

Marrying Ramsey does not make sense for Sansa.
She could marry any powerful lord and use his means and her name to take back the North. I think Harry the Heir is a distant relative to Ned too like Cat mentions in the books that some Starks married the Waynwoods. Hell she could marry Sweet Robin.

It doesn't even logically make sense for the Bolton's. Yes she's technically the supposed heir of the North, but is also wanted for regicide by the power that installed the Bolton's as Wardens of the North.

Also a legitimate heir for Roose reduces Ramsey's claim to the North as well.

She can marry any Lord and build a claim to take the North, true. The reason Ramsey is the best Lord to marry in her case is because he is the current heir to the North.

Also, Roose Bolton's army would split between him and Ramsey if the two turned on each other, so for Sansa it's a very easy way to strengthen her army and weaken Roose's at the same time.

Roose having another heir helps Sansa as well, because the further Ramsey slips down the line of succession, the more likely he is to turn on Roose, and the North would support her over Roose Bolton in the ensuing civil war.

To get back the North she has to kill Roose Bolton, and Ramsey is the Lord in the best position to do that for her.

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone remember that scene when Walder Frey is talking to Roose about the Blackfish and says something like "He's an old man with no allies."

I wonder if they'll bring that back up this season.

Gotta say the one thing I'm looking forward to this season is Bran being back; not sure why considering how they bungled even that reveal (Bloodraven).

But yea, last season really did a number on me and my trust in the writers.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm still bugged by the fact that Stannis was killed (or "killed") off-screen. There's a chance that he'll be back next season, which could be quite interesting/funny because the average show watcher probably hates him now

NeoGiff

I'm still bugged by the fact that Stannis was killed (or "killed") off-screen. There's a chance that he'll be back next season, which could be quite interesting/funny because the average show watcher probably hates him now

There's no chance he'll be back.

I wonder if they realize that no one wants to watch characters in that room again.

It was kinda cool initially, but on reflection it's just stupid.
I found the House of Black and White visually interesting in the show maybe just because I personally didn't get a solid visual ID of it from the books.
Does anyone remember that scene when Walder Frey is talking to Roose about the Blackfish and says something like "He's an old man with no allies."

I wonder if they'll bring that back up this season.
I hope so, I need some Blackfish back.

He's dead
homietheclown3.png

Szeth

I know the biggest (and most annoying) Stannis fan, never liked Stannis in the books and found the weird internet love of him... perplexing, to say the least. So the way they killed him (and the fact that he does indeed die in the series) was hilarious and amazing for me.

Looking forward to the teaser tomorrow and really hope they can avoid another sand snake-esque disaster this season.

NeoGiff

Wait, are the Sand Snakes going to be in this season?

On one hand, I don't ever want to see them again, so I don't mind if they're not. On the other hand, it's laughably awful if that was their sole contribution to the overall plot.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe they'll do a flyover after Jon defeats the Whitewalkers.

Arya's stabbing people in Braavos, Tyene is biting someone's ear, Hodor's eating rocks, Mace Tyrell is singing, Bran is a tree.

On one hand, I don't ever want to see them again, so I don't mind if they're not. On the other hand, it's laughably awful if that was their sole contribution to the overall plot.

I believe they are, and Siddig mentioned shooting for season six. I would assume they don't have a ton of screen time this year though.

sammex

There's no point stopping watching now if you're waiting for TWOW to avoid spoilers, as although there's only a year maybe till the next book, the following season will be stuff potentially spoiling the final book and that's probably half a decade away at least. Just watch it all and treat the two things as separate entities.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

I hope they are, the Lannisters have some debts to pay them.

If only Jaime could have somehow turned that ship around...
One of the dumbest scene in season 5.

Yeah, kill the Lannister princess with your sole heir to Dorne on board, that's smart! There's 100% no risk of a hostage situation, or just a good old revenge.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
One of the dumbest scene in season 5.

Yeah, kill the Lannister princess with your sole heir to Dorne on board, that's smart! There's 100% no risk of a hostage situation, or just a good old revenge.
That's assuming the SS and Ellaria don't want Trystane killed. Maybe they want him out of the way so they can take over Dorne from Doran? I'm just trying to make sense of that clusterfuck. :(

That's assuming the SS and Ellaria don't want Trystane killed. Maybe they want him out of the way so they can take over Dorne from Doran? I'm just trying to make sense of that clusterfuck. :(
I do not, do not want a Dorne civil war plot with those characters and their dialogues.
The first scene is Trystane floating face down in Blackwater Bay.
The show would come up with a dumb reason somehow :/

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I do not, do not want a Dorne civil war plot with those characters and their dialogues.
Maybe not a full civil war but with Trystane killed it would force Dorne into a war with KL like the SS wanted all along. They fight KL and weakens them before Dany comes over.

I hope that "teaser of the tease" isn't representative of what we're getting tonight. Even if it's shorter than normal, i'm just craving a trailer teasing various storylines. If it's just a small clip from Arya's storyline or god forbid like the other teasers we've gotten, that will be very disappointing.

Iksenpets

Banned
I believe they are, and Siddig mentioned shooting for season six. I would assume they don't have a ton of screen time this year though.

Yeah I think they only filmed for like three days though, so it's a one or two episode appearance. If I had to guess, it's going to be something like:

EPISODE 1 -

Doran: I SAID I WOULD KILL YOU ALL IF YOU PULLED THIS SHIT ALL OF YOU GET IN DUNGEON NOW

EPISODE 10 -

Doran: Ehhh never mind vengeance justice fire and blood get your asses to King's Landing your my most trusted agents now.

Sean C

the north is not sansa's
the stark claim was lost with the death of robb, the boltons have legitimacy through conquest
just like dany can't just walk to the iron throne, she needs to retake it because the targaryens have lost their claim to the baratheons
The Boltons have no real support in the North outside of themselves. Indeed, Roose notes that in explaining why they want the marriage; which only calls attention to the fact that Sansa doesn't gain anything by marrying them. With the rest of the North plus the Vale, she should be able to supplant the Boltons by force.

I hope that "teaser of the tease" isn't representative of what we're getting tonight. Even if it's shorter than normal, i'm just craving a trailer teasing various storylines. If it's just a small clip from Arya's storyline or god forbid like the other teasers we've gotten, that will be very disappointing.
The specifically labeled it as a teaser, and it's likely to be under a minute, so I imagine that this:
So 8:59 is when we get to hear random out of context dialogue over set pans?
Is what we're going to get. Maybe we'll also get some shots of characters reacting to things that they won't show. :p

Ithil

There was a picture with all the Dorne people as well as new cast members, so I assume they're all back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom