• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't his face here look very similar to Bran's? I'm looking at the big nose in particular. I wonder if this has any implications for Bran's future/past/present/whatever
LTZAyKI.jpg

Azzanadra

Disagree. All Ramsay needs is 20 good voters.

Haha, never get tired of "20 good men" jokes. The ASOIAF reddit was my main community for this at the time S5 rolled around, was there as much mockery and loathing for the fifth season here as was there there?

NeoGiff

Haha, never get tired of "20 good men" jokes. The ASOIAF reddit was my main community for this at the time S5 rolled around, was there as much mockery and loathing for the fifth season here as was there there?

I think mockery and loathing are two strong words. As one of the main naysayers who has kicked the dead horse long enough with the "bad pussy" and "20 good men" jokes, I'm not 100% serious about it all. Yes, I was very disappointed with some aspects of last season and loudly complained, but I still enjoy the show. It just happens that I (and, I believe, others) speak more loudly against things we have problems with than things we find praiseworthy.

Brakke

Banned
Hard to put any kind of significance on Mel getting naked. It's not like that's some unprecedented thing for her to do that it requires some Important Plot Justification...

Nobody stretches like the GoT fandom do. The "theory"-peddling cottage industry it has engendered is remarkable.

Showaddy

Loathing's a bit strong but it was pretty ugly. Thank god for Hardhome.

Edit: Just had a random thought... There not going to give Yara a horrifically unsubtle version of Aeron's screaming hinge storyline with Euron are they?

Kozak

Banned
The thing I'm looking forward to most is Cersei getting her confidence and attitude back.

The "I choose violence" line has me excited. You just know Lancel getting cut in half that scene.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Well, Old Nan did say the Night's King was a Brandon Stark right?

Woah, had to google but you're right.
How do I not remember reading that.

One of the Stories Old Nan told Bran is about the Night's King. She said some people believe the Night's King was a Bolton, a Magnar of Skagos, an Umber, a Flint, a Norrey, or a Woodfoot. However, she identified the Night's King as a Stark of Winterfell and brother to the King of the North, and hints his name was Brandon.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night's_King

Iksenpets

Banned
Since the appearance of the Night's King seems to have changed yet again, I think it's worth discussing.

Doesn't his face here look very similar to Bran's? I'm looking at the big nose in particular. I wonder if this has any implications for Bran's future/past/present/whatever.

bV7ppQu.jpg

I've never been able to fully let go of the idea that Bran is unwittingly being manipulated by the Others. There was just something so sinister-feeling about those chapters in the cave. It'll be really cool if Bran actually talks to the Night's King, maybe get some insight about what their goals are and what Bran's role is in it all.

And I agree on the mockery/loathing stuff. The show is good! Even if not as good as it used to be. I like 80%ish of what it does. Some of it even more than the books. Twenty good men and bad pussy were just bad lines/scenes and so people have fun with them, same way as people have fun with "nipples on a breastplate" and "fat pink mast" and Dany shitting in the desert. Some stuff you just have to laugh at.

Mr Git

Since the appearance of the Night's King seems to have changed yet again, I think it's worth discussing.

Doesn't his face here look very similar to Bran's? I'm looking at the big nose in particular. I wonder if this has any implications for Bran's future/past/present/whatever.

bV7ppQu.jpg

I thought that WW being called the Night's King was confusing, considering the other Night's King. Starks for whom winter came?

Lothar

Banned

My favorite are the Dave Hill jokes.

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know how Stannis really loves his daughter?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd burn her alive? What else is he going to do?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Sansa) whose family gets massacred by the Lannisters? The one who escaped to the Vale after Joffrey died?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that Littlefinger gives her to the Boltons for reasons and she gets raped every night by Ramsay Snow? Where else is she going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the battle for Winterfell, she's the one who ends up jumping off a wall?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

"We had an assistant on our show named Dave Hill," say Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know how Jon Snow goes to Hardhome to rescue some wildlings before they get slaughtered by the White Walkers?'

'Yeah?'

'Well,' said Dave, 'doesn't it make sense that Jon lands on that side of the Wall, so the Night's Watch has to decide whether to let the wildlings through or not?'

'You're right,' we said, 'that does make sense.'

'And doesn't it make sense that they'd let Jon and all the wildlings through even though they hate the wildlings?'

'Yes,' we said, 'that also makes sense.'

'And doesn't it make sense that the members of the Night's Watch who hate Jon, including the guy who gave the order to open the gate, would make sure all the wildlings were through before murdering Jon?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

I believe those are all from the Something Awful forums. It's based on this for those that don't remember. http://winteriscoming.net/2014/08/12/idea-landed-dave-hill-writing-position-game-thrones-season-5/

Speevy

Banned
How do you guys feel now that we know the Spanish guy hit the nail on the head with everything?
Roose's death, Wildlings battling and losing to Boltons, Dany enslaved by and eventually taking over army of Dothraki, Arya losing and regaining her sight, Margaery becomes a Septa, Faith Militant getting asses kicked, Tower of Joy, Greyjoy fleet battle of some kind, just beat after beat.

The only thing we don't know is exactly how they're ending the season.

I'm guessing Ramsay's death + Whitewalker invasion of the mainland.

Iksenpets

Banned
To the stuff about the Spanish leak,
If that leak really was right, I'm kind of bummed, because it was all pretty predictable from what I remember. Do you have a link to it? From all I can remember the only real twists there were Littlefinger killing Rickon to make way for Sansa and Yara dying under circumstances he wasn't sure about.

Hard to put any kind of significance on Mel getting naked. It's not like that's some unprecedented thing for her to do that it requires some Important Plot Justification...

Nobody stretches like the GoT fandom do. The "theory"-peddling cottage industry it has engendered is remarkable.

It's Preston Jacobs, he's a running joke.

Things that should have been tagged.
Are these legit spoilers? How has this all been confirmed?

Speevy

Banned
I
Are these legit spoilers? How has this all been confirmed?

Before the leak,

no one could have guessed that Ramsay would kill Roose, or that Ramsay would display his corpse on a cross. Now there's a battle with a clearly overmatched Wildling force against the Boltons.

How do you guys feel now that we know the Spanish guy hit the nail on the head with everything?
Roose's death, Wildlings battling and losing to Boltons, Dany enslaved by and eventually taking over army of Dothraki, Arya losing and regaining her sight, Margaery becomes a Septa, Faith Militant getting asses kicked, Tower of Joy, Greyjoy fleet battle of some kind, just beat after beat.

The only thing we don't know is exactly how they're ending the season.

I'm guessing Ramsay's death + Whitewalker invasion of the mainland.

If that leak is really true (and the stars are aligning for it to be), then this will be one hell of a fanfic season.

Well, Old Nan did say the Night's King was a Brandon Stark right?

Well, I'll be damned.

Lothar

Banned
These are amazing and I can't believe I've never seen them before. Surely there's at least one for Dorne?

Seems easy enough to make on your own. Let me try it.

"You know those 3 Dornish girls we have on the show? What if one of them had a bad pussy? Wouldn't that make sense?" "That does make sense."

"Then what if one of them poisoned Bronn, showed him her breasts, and immediately gave him the antidote?" "That also makes sense."

"Then what if they killed Jaime's daughter and he just went straight on home instead of going back and killing everyone?" This year Dave Hill is a writer on the show.

Iksenpets

Banned
Before the leak,

no one could have guessed that Ramsay would kill Roose, or that Ramsay would display his corpse on a cross. Now there's a battle with a clearly overmatched Wildling force against the Boltons.

I don't think the cross gives us anything new. All we can tell is it's an adult male on there, which we already knew. And I'm not 100% on whether the boats are an actual battle or just Sam stuck in storms, since we know he and Gilly have some boat scenes from the screens they released. The parts that stand out to me are the Bolton shield wall holding steady against wildlings trying to be menacing, which seems like a really clear image of the discipline thing the leak was all about, and the image of Yara in what looks like eastern climate. That was the leak's single most random prediction, that she ends up in Volantis. Everything else was kind of known or otherwise predictable.

Apt101

I remember on Reddit during one of the live threads last season, people (many of them) were speculating that Benjen had been warged into his horse this entire time (because it flashbacked to the horse scene in the "previously on" part). It wouldn't surprise me if people seriously believe he's the Night's King also. Hell, many think he's Dario.

Seems easy enough to make on your own. Let me try it.

"You know those 3 Dornish girls we have on the show? What if one of them had a bad pussy? Wouldn't that make sense?" "That does make sense."

"Then what if one of them poisoned Bronn, showed him her breasts, and immediately gave him the antidote?" "That also makes sense."

"Then what if they killed Jaime's daughter and he just went straight on home instead of going back and killing everyone?" This year Dave Hill is a writer on the show.

While Tristan is also on the ship.

Can we all agree that the only storyline that has been consistently good on the show is Arya's?

In addition to the above I'd also criticise her not being the one to identify Brienne's Lannister sword in S4 a slap in the face too. Her general meme-ing around with The Hound in season 4 got old fast, though that was more on him than her.

Also the super mega evil pedo Meryn Trant was laughable, and the retrospective sexual assault of Sansa was also worrying given the rest of season 5's content.

Wow let me live

I mean, she's had absolutely no controversy for the entire run of the show and her character has stayed consistent with book Arya. I always look to her arc to be the shining beacon in the pile of shit that is the rest of the show these days.

Moff

I agree. It could use some levity.

I would say the most consistent storyline is Jon's.

anyone remember the halfhand and mance? completely destroyed book characters in jon's show plot. instead we got olly, yay. jon's best book plot was a complete mess in season 2.
harrington is also one of the worst actors on the show.

the best show character is obviously tywin, because charles dance had an incredible presence, too bad D&D completely fucked him up by forgetting about his sideburns.

Kain

I remember on Reddit during one of the live threads last season, people (many of them) were speculating that Benjen had been warged into his horse this entire time (because it flashbacked to the horse scene in the "previously on" part). It wouldn't surprise me if people seriously believe he's the Night's King also. Hell, many think he's Dario.

I... eh... never really thought about that... ermmm... wat

After reading this thread on and off, I'm not sure who's more nihilistic - GoT book fans who continually think the show is horrible but still watch it because of one good storyline or one good actor on the show or wrestling fans who continue to think RAW is terrible, but give Vince $9.99 a month for his Network because they like NXT.

Wow let me live

I mean, she's had absolutely no controversy for the entire run of the show and her character has stayed consistent with book Arya. I always look to her arc to be the shining beacon in the pile of shit that is the rest of the show these days.

They seem to be trying so hard to keep her from being an assassin. It's very clever how she kills the money-lender in the book. In the show, she just has a little pouch of poison she's going to pour on his oysters, and then she abandons that mission to kill cartoonishly-evil Meryn Trant.

Why would Coldhands also be Daario? That's just silly.

Kain

I still believe Euron is Daario. And Varys is a Merman. Those two are the theories I will never not believe, even if the books deny those claims. Even if George says so. Never, ever I will stop believing.

I am still in disbelief that D&D won an award for writing.

The bad pussy line was the icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom