• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

Was that Stannis on the cross? Fuck me. So much for not wanting to show Stannis death because it would be gratuitous.... so you show his flayed body burning on a pyre?!

Oh please, this is the series that sowed a wolf's head to Robb's body. Burning the dead body of the king who burned dozens of innocent people is gratuitous?

Azzanadra

Oh please, this is the series that sowed a wolf's head to Robb's body. Burning the dead body of the king who burned dozens of innocent people is gratuitous?

Hey I didn't say that, that was the official response to why we didn't see Stannis getting killed on-screen, why we had that cutaway.

Azzanadra

There was a spoiler site or post somewhere a few months back that claimed it's two bodies that were burned and flayed,
Roose and Stannis
. :-/

I saw a theory on the Reddit (for the books) that Ramsay would usurp Roose. The problem I had with that was that I doubted someone like Ramsay could command respect, fear and order like his father. heck, for as scary Ramsay is, Roose is even scarier, even Ramsay fears him. To me it seems ludicrous that Ramsay could become Lord Bolton the way he is. Roose may be a psychopath like his son, but he can play the leader, the ruler and the lord at court just as well.

But if that's true... well damn. The whole Winterfell story I feel will be different in the books. I say Stannis will win only to lose another battle, perhaps against fAegon or Dany. I feel like in the show they wanted to "trim the fat" in a large ensemble that only seems to grow with each season. On top of that, Stannis was never too popular with show fans anyways so from a production standpoint, it make sense. My main point here is that we won't even get to the point of Ramsay assuming lordship and if he does, it will be brief.

duckroll

I saw a theory on the Reddit (for the books) that Ramsay would usurp Roose. The problem I had with that was that I doubted someone like Ramsay could command respect, fear and order like his father. heck, for as scary Ramsay is, Roose is even scarier, even Ramsay fears him. To me it seems ludicrous that Ramsay could become Lord Bolton the way he is. Roose may be a psychopath like his son, but he can play the leader, the ruler and the lord at court just as well.

Disagree. All Ramsay needs is 20 good voters.

Could this be shot of some little birds finishing off Kevan Lannister?

FxEcvcU.jpg

Moff

tower of joy looks cheap :(

but it's really incredible how much euron looks like theon

I think I liked lena headey the most in the trailer

Cersei's "I choose violence" thing was interesting, if it's kicking off right there then it means no trial/Cleganebowl?

I'd imagine that leads into the trial. They'll give her the option between admitting their 'defeat' over her or the Faith will kick off, thinking she doesn't have any other option and she'll respond by demanding a Trial by Combat.

air horns

Turin

Banned
Davos. <3

that's what I thought as well, that she will ride the dead dick back to existence.

Heh!

Honestly how are they gonna re-introduce the Greyjoys when they haven't been around for two years

Like do people even remember who they are orrrrr

I'm not sure how much they care if people remember everything.

At some point they have to address the Brotherhood Without Banners. Like even just a mention. They all fucked off to Asshai or something. Anything.

Always thought he looked like a Tolkien elf.

Has the look for Feanor or Fingolfin.

Trailer dissection via:

- Watchers: Comprehensive breakdown of the Game of Thrones season 6 trailer
- WiCnet: Game of Thrones Season 6 Teaser Breakdown
- Warming Glow (tons of gifs)

Also a quick reminder of the spoiler rules from the OP:
hgJ45.jpg

There are no rules!

Kidding of course, there are a couple rules. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page. Also, please spoiler-tag any TV adaption news for upcoming episodes. Although everyone here has read the books, but not everyone wants that adaption spoiled.
Note that something like the Tower of Joy doesn't need tags as it's from the books, but if you're going to do a deep dive into what's happening during the entire season based on the trailer, set leaks, etc... please use some tags. Thanks.

Mr Git

The handy thing about Ser Robert Strong is that they could go through 50 castings and we probably wouldn't notice.

I thought Bran's appearance next to the White Walker king (is he a king? I remember he had Souls gestures) was interesting - is he dreaming, warging or greenseering as the WW seems to notice him.

Forkball

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones Season 6 |OT| Apologies for what you're about to see

Some nitpicks about the trailers:

+We get it, Jon Snow is dead ok. Totally. 100%.

+I'm not sure what Jaime is going to do this season. The trailer implies that he is even getting closer to Cersei, which is a huge departure from his path in the books and potentially robs of us one of his most memorable scenes. Remember when Jaime was one of the best characters and now he's Captain Donothing?

+The burning man on the cross is probably Stannis. D&D has to get one more shot in.

+Vaes Dothrak should look good with a bigger budget now. Dany's storyline is one of the biggest mysteries of the season. SAVE US QUAITHE.

+Surprising lack of Tyrion. Perhaps his role is lessened this season? It seems strange not to feature him more since he's one of the if not THE most popular character in the show.

+"I CHOOSE VIOLENCE." Great trailer line. I thought the Faith stuff was handled mostly well last season, especially the High Septon. I'm looking forward to everything going to hell.

+TOWER OF JOY. The scene we've all been waiting for is upon us. I wonder if they will just have it in one episode, or split it up throughout the season. Though why are the KG in Targaryen armor? This is one of those annoying things the show messes up. I think they even mentioned Jaime wore white when he was a KG under Aerys. YES THIS IS IMPORTANT.

+Littlefinger standing and doing nothing. Sums up his season 5 storyline.

+I'm excited to see Euron, though he better lose his eye the first episode or something. The Kingsmoot is one of my favorite scenes in the books, so I hope they do it justice (they won't.)

+Casting Charles Dance as Bran was a bold decision, but I'm glad to see him back in the show.

This season is going to be quite the ride. Hopefully we get another trailer before it launches. Also the first trailer already has about 8 million views in 20 hours... yeah I guess season 5 did not sour the general public on this show.

+I'm not sure what Jaime is going to do this season. The trailer implies that he is even getting closer to Cersei, which is a huge departure from his path in the books and potentially robs of us one of his most memorable scenes. Remember when Jaime was one of the best characters and now he's Captain Donothing?

Well we know he is going to the Riverlands in the second half of the season so it still can happen very similarly to the book.

Kain

Now I'm fully expecting they will lamely kill the High Sparrow, thanks guys :(

I liked the part where Mel realizes she's useless. About time, woman

Kain

wait a sec... EURON WITH NO PATCH??? BLASPHEMY!!!! I'm channeling #angrygotfan but damn, that's shit.

Anyway, oh, D&D, you rascals

JonSnow.jpeg

I'm thinking that's a stunt actor playing Jon, though.

And to finish this shameless double post, I was here some weeks ago!

GoT52.png

It's basically like you see but the real windows to the sides are made of glass, obviously, so I guess they covered them up and CGId them.

Lots of eyeballs on the trailer:

- EW: Game of Thrones trailer breaks HBO record: 30 million views
The Emmy-winning fantasy hit’s season 6 trailer has garnered an incredible 30 million views in less than 24 hours.

The first preview of the eagerly awaited new season has racked up 8 million views on YouTube and another 22 million on Thrones’ official Facebook page. HBO confirms this is an all-time high for a trailer launch, surpassing with several hours to spare the previous high – Thrones’ first trailer for season 5, which delivered 27 million views during its first day. Last year, the acclaimed drama went on to deliver record ratings, averaging 20.2 million viewers per episode when including streaming, repeats and DVR playback. The season 6 trailer surge suggests that this year’s episodes could set viewership records once again for the network.
Will be interesting to see what happens to the ratings this year.

Ithil

I'm gonna guess in practice Euron with the eyepatch looked too silly, like arr pirate silly.
I don't think anyone misses Daario's blue beard.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm gonna guess in practice Euron with the eyepatch looked too silly, like arr pirate silly.
I don't think anyone misses Daario's blue beard.

It's not like it hasn't been done before:

Richard-Dormer-as-Beric-Dondarrion.jpg

Though I figured it was something they felt worked best in the books since they can't play up Euron's "smiling" eye the way the books can.

Watchers continuing their retrospective with a few more S1 episodes:

- Game of Thrones Memory Lane 103: Lord Snow
- Game of Thrones Memory Lane 104: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things
- Game of Thrones Memory Lane 105: The Wolf and the Lion

Also, Making Game of Thrones had a few tidbits about S1 production. Most of this has been discussed before, though they do have a cool look at a few messages that were sent via raven during S1:

- 50 Surprising Things About Season 1 - Part 1
- 50 Surprising Things About Season 1 - Part 2

NeoGiff

Since the appearance of the Night's King seems to have changed yet again, I think it's worth discussing.

Doesn't his face here look very similar to Bran's? I'm looking at the big nose in particular. I wonder if this has any implications for Bran's future/past/present/whatever.

bV7ppQu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom