• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

Quixel posted a new video of their stuff used with UE4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DG51glKipU&feature=youtu.be

Sadly it doesn't even use the new foliage system that has backscattering from leaves brought up by 4.7 update (now 4.7.1) because this video was made using 4.6, otherwise it would have looked even better (it would have looked even better if they used distanfieldGI that the preview version version of 4.8 has).

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
After GDC it seems, read their comment in the video ! I hope it won't take that long !

Sorry, I usually don't read youtube comments. :lol
Great news if true! Let's hope they mean "soon after GDC" and not like "Sure, after GDC, sometime in the future, like, 2020".
And I hope it won't cost an arma and a leg. :lol

Unreal Tournament looks awesome: www.unrealtournament.com/blog/unreal-tournament-at-gdc/

malcolmFlak04.png

_machine

Great news for starting indie developers and I have to butt in and say that our 9-man development team has really enjoyed working with UE4 and it's improved by miles since last summer so the road ahead will only get better. Epic has been great at providing support through the answershub and the forums so it can certainly be fantastic tool even for small developers.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know if UE4 supports triple buffering? Google and AnswerHub are turning up nothing, and not even people interested in asking about it for the most part. That's weird since I would hope vsync + triple buffering is a reasonably common 3D engine feature.

Bollocks

yeah I have to say UE4 is hands down the best all around engine, you would be stupid to choose Unity now.
One thing hat Unity has going for themselves is the community and help you get. Just google the answer it. There it is.
But that can change and will change once more people adopt UE4.
Apart from that UE4 offers vastly superior tools out of the box and most importantly none of that pro crap. Your levels will look just the way you want them to. And for the more advanced user there's full engine access another thing that's kind of important.
All in all they really delivered with this engine, it's like a wet gamedev's dream.

you would be stupid to choose Unity now.
Unless you are developing a game that both engines are capable of, and you don't feel like paying 5% royalties on your gross.

Edit: I generally agree with you, but Unreal Engine has the potential to be much more expensive than Unity depending on how successful your game is, so it's definitely a factor in deciding which engine to go with.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I have to say UE4 is hands down the best all around engine, you would be stupid to choose Unity now.
One thing hat Unity has going for themselves is the community and help you get. Just google the answer it. There it is.
Apart from that UE4 offers vastly superior tools out of the box and most importantly none of that pro crap. Your levels will look just the way you want them to. And for the more advanced user there's full engine access another thing that's kind of important.
All in all they really delivered with this engine, it's like a wet gamedev's dream.

I will say Paper2D still lagging behind Unity2D overall. I can see someone still wanting to stick with Unity if working on a 2D game, but hopefully epic closes the gap sooner rather then later.

Edit: Also, mobile performance is still pretty horrible from what I've seen compared to Unity, but I admittedly havent played around with it much

Sandfox

The Unity people said to watch their event tomorrow in response to this so we'll see what they have I guess.

The Unity people said to watch their event tomorrow in response to this so we'll see what they have I guess.

The only things I can see Unity doing in response:

-integrating more tools in the base program like visual scripting
-offer source code access with pro purchase\subscription
-Lower price of pro standalone/subscription (cut prices by 50%)

If Unity 5 offers source code access and lowers entry for Pro customers it could be good for them.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know if UE4 supports triple buffering? Google and AnswerHub are turning up nothing, and not even people interested in asking about it for the most part. That's weird since I would hope vsync + triple buffering is a reasonably common 3D engine feature.
After messing with it, the situation's even worse than I feared. I could possibly live without triple buffering if latency wasn't too bad, but I can't get vsync to work at all -- tearing is happening for some reason. That seems to be a pretty core engine feature to me. :(

I have a GTX 770 with 337.88 drivers.

AnswerHub has 2 questions with apparently the same problem, no solution. A third one claims these drivers fixed it (but they don't for me).

If I use "-vsync" on the command line, or "r.vsync 1" in the console, framerate gets locked to 60, but I get nasty screen tearing if I look up or down. Fullscreen doesn't matter either.

Bollocks

Unless you are developing a game that both engines are capable of, and you don't feel like paying 5% royalties on your gross.

Edit: I generally agree with you, but Unreal Engine has the potential to be much more expensive than Unity depending on how successful your game is, so it's definitely a factor in deciding which engine to go with.

true, but that risk is imo negligible, I would love to be exposed to that risk though ;)
most people who use Unity use it because it's easy to work with but so is UE4 but as said with a vastly superior toolset, granted not everyone needs a cutscene editor, shader editor, particle editor, etc but it's nice to know it's there at no additional cost.

We'll have to see how Unity responds this week, I hope they cut the pro version and make those features available to all.

For me personally it hits all the right notes so my opinion might be biased but I like that there's a powerful engine that's open source, written in C++ and easy to use.

Blizzard

Banned
In addition to the vsync problem, AnswerHub is kind of a nightmare to search.

1. If you use the search box on the top of any page, it defaults to the current category rather than UE4 in general, so you accidentally search "bugs only" instead of "all" or whatever.
  2. If you use double quotes to try to specify an exact phrase, they apparently get ignored.
  3. If you try using '+' characters to say that all terms in a search are mandatory, you STILL get result(s) that don't have one of your terms.
That's really painful for something intended for developers.

*edit* If you want to always show all advanced details in the details tab, the editor has to apparently be recompiled too.

In addition to the vsync problem, AnswerHub is kind of a nightmare to search.

1. If you use the search box on the top of any page, it defaults to the current category rather than UE4 in general, so you accidentally search "bugs only" instead of "all" or whatever.
  2. If you use double quotes to try to specify an exact phrase, they apparently get ignored.
  3. If you try using '+' characters to say that all terms in a search are mandatory, you STILL get result(s) that don't have one of your terms.
That's really painful for something intended for developers.

*edit* If you want to always show all advanced details in the details tab, the editor has to apparently be recompiled too.
Have you tried Googling site:answers.unrealengine.com *search terms* instead of AnswerHub's search system, or the UnrealEngine forums? For sites that don't recognize quotes, + and - etc. I usually resort to Google.

Azure J

OK, so after getting nudged this way by JordanN from the free Unreal 4 for everyone thread earlier, I figured I'd make a post and hear from everyone here. I'm very interested in getting understanding on how to use the engine both for my own pet projects and for the ability to list it as a area of expertise on a future resume. That said I'm much stronger in general design than I am in anything regarding art or coding (at current; I am a CST student going through the courses in class and starting to dabble with programming more often in my spare time). Would you all say that it'll be quite some time before I can start producing my own results? Also, if you had to suggest one thing to start on and get proficient with as a beginner, what would that be?

Sorry for the long winded intro. :p

EVIL

OK, so after getting nudged this way by JordanN from the free Unreal 4 for everyone thread earlier, I figured I'd make a post and hear from everyone here. I'm very interested in getting understanding on how to use the engine both for my own pet projects and for the ability to list it as a area of expertise on a future resume. That said I'm much stronger in general design than I am in anything regarding art or coding (at current; I am a CST student going through the courses in class and starting to dabble with programming more often in my spare time). Would you all say that it'll be quite some time before I can start producing my own results? Also, if you had to suggest one thing to start on and get proficient with as a beginner, what would that be?

Sorry for the long winded intro. :p

pretty much the UE4 youtube tutorial series. It introduces you to the editor, some basic things revolving around manipulating volumes, importing models/textures/sounds and creating and editing blueprints and everything around that.

https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists

once you get the basics you can scroll up to the more advanced and specific topics.

People are creating simple games in a single weekend with basic blueprint stuff. Its important to start small and just play around. Trying to do anything big, like a shooter or whatever, is shooting yourself in the foot. You will get disappointed by the progress and quit.
Good luck!

pretty much the UE4 youtube tutorial series. It introduces you to the editor, some basic things revolving around manipulating volumes, importing models/textures/sounds and creating and editing blueprints and everything around that.

once you get the basics you can scroll up to the more advanced and specific topics.

People are creating simple games in a single weekend with basic blueprint stuff. Its important to start small and just play around. Trying to do anything big, like a shooter or whatever, is shooting yourself in the foot. You will get disappointed by the progress and quit.
Good luck!

Thanks for that link! I looked in the OT but didn't see any links to tutorials.

I'm in the same boat where I'd like to learn.

Azure J

Good luck!

Neat. Will be playing with this after I get these assignments finished up. Thanks. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Have you tried Googling site:answers.unrealengine.com *search terms* instead of AnswerHub's search system, or the UnrealEngine forums? For sites that don't recognize quotes, + and - etc. I usually resort to Google.
Google usually has its own problems (I have to force "allintext: whatever" or it can just ignore your terms), but yeah that would help for the answerhub search.

Unfortunately, I have still found ZERO way to fix screen tearing on my GTX 770 with 337.88 drivers.

No one on IRC seems to know the answer. I've tried forcing vsync in drivers, tried -vsync on command line, and tried r.vsync in console. All three result in 60 fps, but still tearing if I wave the mouse up and down. I can see this in the basic FPS demo level if I launch it, look at the sun, and move the mouse up and down rapidly.

I tried turning off temporal AA, tried turning off motion blur, tried standalone windowed, and tried standalone fullscreen, but nothing fixes it.

There are 3 threads on answerhub with similar tearing questions. Two of them do not seem to have a resolution, and the third one says a certain nVidia driver fixed it...but it's the driver version I already have.

I -like- Unreal Engine but I can't remember encountering anything like this with the UDK.

bounchfx

holy shit the character work is 1000x better than UT3. Bulky as fuck space marine gears style just looked awkward to me, especially with people jumping and running arouind at such high speed. It reminds me more of UT99, which I like. I hope there's crazy robot skins and shit too like classic UT.

I played the game earlier today and it feels pretty damn good already. Really pumped for them to keep developing this.

Checked out the marketplace for the first time today, looking to spend that $30, there is a disappointingly small amount of stuff on there, I was surprised. Is there anything else I can do with the $30 in my account, or should I just forget about it until the marketplace becomes more populated.

Mik2121

I was already paying for the monthly subscription but now that it's free... damn, Epic! Thank you!

Can't wait to see this engine evolve and get better and better. I wonder what will happen after they reach 4.9 though? Announce Unreal Engine 5?

holy shit the character work is 1000x better than UT3. Bulky as fuck space marine gears style just looked awkward to me, especially with people jumping and running arouind at such high speed. It reminds me more of UT99, which I like. I hope there's crazy robot skins and shit too like classic UT.

I played the game earlier today and it feels pretty damn good already. Really pumped for them to keep developing this.

Wait till you see the map itslef Called DM-Outpost, also there is DM-Lea. Download DM-Lea in the marketp)lace for free and you will be really amazed. DM-Outpost is the best thing ever happening to UT, eats too much ressources and may crash your pc, still worth doing :)

DM-Outpost:

And people still think UE3 can do this -_- !

Play the map and you will see the beauty of the waterfalls outside !

Blizzard

Banned
Well I FINALLY have sort of an answer thanks to someone in the #unrealengine IRC channel. There is an r.FullScreenMode console variable in UE4 that you can set to 0 for "true" fullscreen. Otherwise it defaults to borderless windowed fullscreen.

The problem is, so I am told, it is impossible to vsync a window, even a borderless fullscreen window. Because of this, I got screen tearing even with "r.VSync 1".

My best guess is that windowed mode uses some sort of fake vsync that still has tearing, then, if Aero is disabled.

Wait till you see the map itslef Called DM-Outpost, also there is DM-Lea. Download DM-Lea in the marketp)lace for free and you will be really amazed. DM-Outpost is the best thing ever happening to UT, eats too much ressources and may crash your pc, still worth doing :)

DM-Outpost:

And people still think UE3 can do this -_- !

Play the map and you will see the beauty of the waterfalls outside !

Those screenshots look amazing

Yuuichi

oh man those UE4 screenshots look fantastic but that tiny amount of chromatic aberration is just waaaaaaaaaaaa

I bet it looks amazing in motion though, I probably won't notice it in game.

Do you get any errors in the log?
I think it's this, but I'm not sure:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: VictoryBPLibrary-Static.lib(VictoryBPLibraryPrivatePCH.h.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class FVector const FVector::ZeroVector" (?ZeroVector@FVector@@2V1@B)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Binaries\Win64\Bounty_Hunter-Win64-DebugGame.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Last bit of the log:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: PCH.UELinkerFixups.UELinkerFixupsName.h.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: UELinkerFixups.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Bounty_Hunter.generated.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Empty.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: MyPlayerController.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Bounty_Hunter.cpp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: [9/9] Link Bounty_Hunter-Win64-DebugGame.exe
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Creating library \Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Binaries\Win64\Bounty_Hunter-Win64-DebugGame.lib and object \Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Binaries\Win64\Bounty_Hunter-Win64-DebugGame.exp
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: VictoryBPLibrary-Static.lib(VictoryBPLibraryPrivatePCH.h.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class FVector const FVector::ZeroVector" (?ZeroVector@FVector@@2V1@B)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Binaries\Win64\Bounty_Hunter-Win64-DebugGame.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Binaries\Win64\Bounty_Hunter-Win64-DebugGame.exe
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 19.64 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 3.59 linking, 0.00 other
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UnrealBuildTool: UBT execution time: 31.13 seconds
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 31.286738s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=2
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ErrorReporter.Error: ERROR: AutomationTool error: Command failed (Result:2): Game Project\UE4\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe Bounty_Hunter Win64 DebugGame "Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Bounty
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): _Hunter.uproject" -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool.txt'
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationTool: Command failed (Result:2): Game Project\UE4\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe Bounty_Hunter Win64 DebugGame "Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Bounty
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): _Hunter.uproject" -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool.txt'
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Stacktrace: at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, String CommandLine, String LogName, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.UE4Build.BuildWithUBT(String ProjectName, String TargetName, UnrealTargetPlatform TargetPlatform, String Config, String UprojectPath, Boolean ForceMonolithic, Boolean ForceNonUnity, Boolean ForceDebugInfo, Boolean ForceFlushMac, Boolean DisableXGE, String InAddArgs, Boolean ForceUnity, Dictionary`2 EnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable`1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Dictionary`2 PlatformEnvVars)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at BuildCommand.Execute()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List`1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary`1 Commands)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String[] CommandLine)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(MainProc Main, Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: Command failed (Result:2): Game Project\UE4\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe Bounty_Hunter Win64 DebugGame "Documents\Unreal Projects\Bounty_Hunter 4.7\Bounty_Hunter.uproject" -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE. See logfile for details: 'UnrealBuildTool.txt'
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=2
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): copying UAT log files...
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BUILD FAILED

Blizzard

Banned
Did nothing =/
Someone asked about updating a PCH (precompiled headers?). Try looking for Build folders, and/or deleting VictoryBPLibraryPrivatePCH.h.obj.

Someone else still thinks there are some out-of-date build artifacts from an earlier version, perhaps that the compiler didn't think needed rebuilt.

If you want to come by #unrealengine on irc.freenode.net, they can probably help a lot easier than me doing it by proxy. :p

Someone asked about updating a PCH (precompiled headers?). Try looking for Build folders, and/or deleting VictoryBPLibraryPrivatePCH.h.obj.

Someone else still thinks there are some out-of-date build artifacts from an earlier version, perhaps that the compiler didn't think needed rebuilt.

If you want to come by #unrealengine on irc.freenode.net, they can probably help a lot easier than me doing it by proxy. :p
I'm using a preompiled version of the engine from the launcher, if that makes a difference. I had to add an empty c++ class to our formerly BP only project to use steam and victory. That's where all the problems started.

I found something similar to that file and tried deleting it. Still can't build.

I'm on it but I see nothing going on.

Downloaded ut4 to try that dm_outpost map , wow it looks amazing.
It's weird to see ut with these graphics, I haven't played an ut games since ut2004 I think.
The temporal AA is really good too , it's a little bit soft but more like smaa 1x softness than the awful fxaa blur, it's amazing at removing jaggies though.

Downloaded ut4 to try that dm_outpost map , wow it looks amazing.
It's weird to see ut with these graphics, I haven't played an ut games since ut2004 I think.
The temporal AA is really good too , it's a little bit soft but more like smaa 1x softness than the awful fxaa blur, it's amazing at removing jaggies though.

Temporal AA is the only AA that works on edges when your character moves, other techniques are only good for a static scene or for taking pics !

oh man those UE4 screenshots look fantastic but that tiny amount of chromatic aberration is just waaaaaaaaaaaa

I bet it looks amazing in motion though, I probably won't notice it in game.

Yep, nothing flagrant when playing and it looks even better in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tNU2jgTZU

Chris_C

Is anyone else unable to get the launcher to update the engine? I see no option for that since the free version went live.

anteevy

Google usually has its own problems (I have to force "allintext: whatever" or it can just ignore your terms), but yeah that would help for the answerhub search.

Unfortunately, I have still found ZERO way to fix screen tearing on my GTX 770 with 337.88 drivers.

No one on IRC seems to know the answer. I've tried forcing vsync in drivers, tried -vsync on command line, and tried r.vsync in console. All three result in 60 fps, but still tearing if I wave the mouse up and down. I can see this in the basic FPS demo level if I launch it, look at the sun, and move the mouse up and down rapidly.

I tried turning off temporal AA, tried turning off motion blur, tried standalone windowed, and tried standalone fullscreen, but nothing fixes it.

There are 3 threads on answerhub with similar tearing questions. Two of them do not seem to have a resolution, and the third one says a certain nVidia driver fixed it...but it's the driver version I already have.

I -like- Unreal Engine but I can't remember encountering anything like this with the UDK.
I'm also having some trouble with VSync there: https://answers.unrealengine.com/qu...ble-vsync-via-config-file-in-packaged-ga.html
If I enable it via "r.vsync 1" in the console, it works though, and the tearing goes away. If I don't do that, even forcing vsync in my drivers doesn't work somehow.

But tearing even with fixed 60FPS is weird. :( Do you maybe have another PC to test this on?

Top Bottom