• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn Also Requires PSN Account to Play on Steam - Seems to be the new norm of SEI games

Draugoth

Gold Member
Until Dawn on PC will require a PSN account (God of War Ragnarok does as well)

GO3rCt9awAAIfya

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Yeah, it's definitely them just wanting to present the PSN interface on their games for consistency's sake. Really sucks for those in certain countries. :(

Sintoid

I Require to know why this game is so well recieved
I played it and finished with only an ending because I found it nonesense horror with bad acting, bad motion capture and ugly pacing
Does this require a remake?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Look at all the unhinged console warriors outing themselves by celebrating this because there angry PC players have agency and got Sony to back off for Helldivers.

Yeah utter nonsense for singleplayer titles, means pirated versions will become the to go for mobile consoles like steam deck etc, as you won't require Internet.

At least wirh Ghost you could play everything but legends, these, nope.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I Require to know why this game is so well recieved
I played it and finished with only an ending because I found it nonesense horror with bad acting, bad motion capture and ugly pacing
Does this require a remake?
Cult classic as a result of doing something unique well before anybody else (I think).

Last edited:

Thief1987

Yeah, it's definitely them just wanting to present the PSN interface on their games for consistency's sake. Really sucks for those in certain countries. :(
Why it's such a problem? You can make account at whatever region you want, you just need to google zipcode and some street address.

Killjoy-NL

Look at all the unhinged console warriors outing themselves by celebrating this because their angry PC players have agency and got Sony to back off for Helldivers.

Yeah utter nonsense for singleplayer titles, means pirated versions will become the to go for mobile consoles like steam deck etc, as you won't requite Internet.

We're just laughing at you.

I can’t remember when starting Ghosts of Tsushima for PC if I entered the PSN within the game or with Steam.
I do wonder if there is any security issues if each game has a copy of my PSN or if its just stored in one Steam file somewhere.
More games could be more opportunity for something to leak out.

graywolf323

Look at all the unhinged console warriors outing themselves by celebrating this because their angry PC players have agency and got Sony to back off for Helldivers.

Yeah utter nonsense for singleplayer titles, means pirated versions will become the to go for mobile consoles like steam deck etc, as you won't requite Internet.

how does this require internet anymore than any other major publisher‘s games on Steam? 🤨

there’s been nothing to say it’s always-online like you’re insinuating

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Isnt Until Dawn a 2015 game?
Walking Dead is far superior and from 2012...
I understand your statement but it's anyway hard to explain
The interactive CGI cinematic experience pioneered by David Cage was never mixed with horror prior as far as I am aware. Every other attempt has not been as fruitful either.

P.S. It did not resonate with me as I did not find the cast relatable.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gaf told me Microsoft did this same thing with their steam games for the MAU count, so it looks like Sony also values MAU metric as well.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
how does this require internet anymore than any other major publisher‘s games on Steam? 🤨

there’s been nothing to say it’s always-online like you’re insinuating

So two issues, one it means you need to be on a WiFi network when you start the game, two as of Ghost and Helldivers, sonys sign in achitecture is not built into the game. It's in it's own folder on windows that the game then runs when prompted and requires windows to run. Means you need to use a Linux translation layer, this will break over and over like Ubisoft games when they update, and requires steam community to find a fix.

So yes this already causes issues, it's just that PC are better at fixing issues ourselves, the problem is the issue is created completely arbitrarily by a corporation for no other reason than wanting more money than you buying the game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This shows how entitled PC gamers can be.

They want Sony to bring all their games to PC, but on their conditions.

Fine, il buy em on PlayStation, a platform they manufacture and control (although notice how legislation is starting to curve that like how they did with windows, because it causes issues). I remember how entitled I was when Microsoft tried to make PC players pay for online with Microsoft Gold back in Halo 2 / Shadowrun days.

And I'm happy to keep being that entitled, I think its probably just closer to having actual standards though. Besides PC does this all the time, it's why piracy is on the increase, you fuck around and PC players go elsewhere without the strings.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The interactive CGI cinematic experience pioneered by David Cage was never mixed with horror prior as far as I am aware. Every other attempt has not been as fruitful either.

P.S. It did not resonate with me as I did not find the cast relatable.

Until Dawn was unexpectedly good because it accurately invoked the various tropes and conventions of the genre without descending into obvious pastiche. The difference between UD and The Quarry in this respect is night and day. Until Dawn felt like a real Slasher/Giallo, whereas The Quarry came across as a mash-up copy of the same.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Until Dawn was unexpectedly good because it accurately invoked the various tropes and conventions of the genre without descending into obvious pastiche. The difference between UD and The Quarry in this respect is night and day. Until Dawn felt like a real Slasher/Giallo, whereas The Quarry came across as a mash-up copy of the same.
Exactly this.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Hold Up Stop GIF by MLB

It is decent at playing up slasher genre tropes but avant-garde Italian suspense thriller it is not.

Last edited:
Sucks for the people who live in countries it isn't available, but otherwise it's just a minor inconvenience at most.
I'm pretty sure if they're that interested then they'll just set sail for it. Ghost of Tsushima was found out there the day of release.

I see this as a prelude to their own PC storefront. Which, I'm not against if that allows cross saves, cross-buys/discounts( I have Until Dawn on PSN. Discount for PC version? Wishful thinking?). Cue the incoming eggs and tomatoes from other PC gamers for dare suggesting a non- Steam launcher.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I see this as a prelude to their own PC storefront. Which, I'm not against if that allows cross saves, cross-buys/discounts( I have Until Dawn on PSN. Discount for PC version? Wishful thinking?). Cue the incoming eggs and tomatoes from other PC gamers for dare suggesting a non- Steam launcher.
No problem for me. After trying Rockstar launcher i’ve hit rock bottom, so things can only improve from here.

Actually, I am of the opinion that some CEO in Sony is having his salary metric measured in PSN growth. Because to deliberately NOT sell games in certain countries and thus lose money intentionally, is not something companies usually do. The only time it happens is when some leader find personal financial benefit in such a thing.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So their PSN removal from Helldivers 2 was ONLY for that game?
Pretty much yes. Most likely the pressure from Arrowhead from Sony’s poor messaging. I expect them to mandate it for Helldivers 2 but when things settle down and the PSN linking becomes normal to all their titles.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Consistency?! lol no they want to get you into the psn ecosystem. Which would be okay with me since I'm already a subscriber IF they didn't make you purchase the games twice. 👎

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So their PSN removal from Helldivers 2 was ONLY for that game?
Yeah, I said in the other thread that PSN integration is obviously an integral part of their PC strategy. They royally fucked up with Helldivers and made being anti-PSN a thing. So now they are telegraphing their intentions to implement it in every game so they get all the bad press put of the way in one go.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hold Up Stop GIF by MLB

It is decent at playing up slasher genre tropes but avant-garde Italian suspense thriller it is not.
Gialli are not all avant-garde, the defining trait versus slashers is the element of mystery around the killer's identity. Italian cinema of the late 60's early 70's was big on style over substance, but even so there are plenty of examples that take a dryer more police procedural approach.
Larry Fessenden knows the genre, and I felt it was his involvement with UD that was the difference maker.

Actually, I am of the opinion that some CEO in Sony is having his salary metric measured in PSN growth. Because to deliberately NOT sell games in certain countries and thus lose money intentionally, is not something companies usually do. The only time it happens is when some leader find personal financial benefit in such a thing.
Didn't they switch to MAUs reporting as the main metric recently?

AJUMP23

Do it on release day and not a couple of months later and then people at least know what they are getting into.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Consistency?! lol no they want to get you into the psn ecosystem. Which would be okay with me since I'm already a subscriber IF they didn't make you purchase the games twice. 👎
Of course it's something deeper than that, I'm just saying it's why the whole Helldivers 2 thing happened, they wanted to implement it there, and they want all of their games on PC to have it. Yeah, it's messy.

Top Bottom