• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

This is an interesting thing to bring up. I've wondered that same thing myself. I have a few friends and family that watch a lot of movies but only play games casually. They refuse to play horror games. "That's too scary" is usually the response. I think they want to be scared during a film, but playing them is too real? LMFAO

I really have no idea

From personal experience.
the only thing that really used to get me in movies were jump scares however REmake for example as an 11/12 year(and a while past that) just walking around i'd literally feel like my heart was going crazy
and i'd take breaks like every 20-30 minutes.

A "good" scary movie is under two hours of dumb fun, a good horror game is just tense as hell for hours on end.

I enjoy both but they are very different imo.
I can't think of any horror movies that don't take a breath and are just a gauntlet of tension and dread.
Hell I think the ending of The Dark Knight is actually the closet I got to that Resident Evil tense feeling.

Peroroncino

Do people really give a shit about the bland personality deprived protagonists of 6?

You can attribute the decrease in sales to many things, but having a virtual cipher instead of blocks of wood isn't one of them.

Judging by your avatar, you're a fan of Metroid, and probably of Samus by an extension, would you describe her as a personality powerhouse? Because I wouldn't, and yet, she's an iconic character, just like many RE characters.

tesqui

Honestly I'd be fine with them going back to action, but for the love of god don't go back to RE6 action. All I want is RE4 2.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
You're talking about engagement and retention, not acquisition. If the game had MTX, you'd be right, but they are older titles and don't offer in-game monetization that takes advantage of those features.

I expect it to come tho
For these games, I'd say they're intrinsically linked because of the co-op nature. Friends convincing friends and on and on to get the games to play together, etc.

Just build on the fundament set by RE7 and I will be back and I suspect even more people.

I agree. Give the first person thing at least one more go and see where you end up. I think all it really needs is bigger budget and more linear-open(or is it open-linear)areas/environments. Again, I like RE7 a lot. I was just hoping for a little more than what's offered. I think it has replay value, but only if you've not played it for good while.

The Hermit

Not at all, RE7 with those numbers has covered the development cost and now they are earning. With RE6, they couldn't broke even at 5 million copies because the game was so expensive, a lot more expensive than the usual Capcom or Japanese game.
And yes, obvioulsy an action RE will sell more than a true survival horror one.

This should actually be on the op

I would speculate it would be 8 that would be much easier to be profitable since the R&D of the new engine wouldn't be tied as directly to it's success. Capcom's comments about 7's sales read like it was a very big undertaking for them.

I wouldn't mind if they just did an every other game thing. Next game is more like RE6, than the next game is more like 7 again. Would need to do something about the number in the titles because that would make the series look a bit confused tonally; but there are fans of both style of game and Capcom should try and make use of that fact.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wouldn't mind if they just did an every other game thing. Next game is more like RE6, than the next game is more like 7 again. Would need to do something about the number in the titles because that would make the series look a bit confused tonally; but there are fans of both style of game and Capcom should try and make use of that fact.
Nearly bankrupting the company every other RE game isn't a good idea. Capcom needs to not pull a SEGA and actually capitalize on all of the good parts of RE7.

I kind of don't get the anger in this thread. Why is there so much backbiting between RE7 and RE4-style partisans? Can't people respect both types of games?

tesqui

Resident evil 5?

I'm not a big fan of 5. I never liked the emphasis on coop. It makes playing it SP a bit of a chore. Also the atmosphere never grabbed me like RE4.

I would like them to create a SP experience first and foremost. Don't penalize me with a brain dead AI for going solo.

That is not how how those games were sold, and not the core design of the game. It's just how you chose to play it. Very different.

It's like Mario Kart 8 saying has incredibly solo campaign.

It may not have been front-and-center in marketing but I find it hard to see how it isn't tied into the core design of the game. Everything in those games, down to co-op inventory management (especially in 5), enemies specifically designed to be fought with multiple players, the asymmetrical level design, and the awkward AI bots you get if you forgo co-op scream that the games were made as co-op games first and foremost. They are probably more intrinsically-cooperative games than something like Gears of War, really.

I think it actually might have been a mistake to include AI companions (that is, the option for single-player) in both Resident Evil 5 and 6, honestly. A bit extreme but I don't think either game works especially well as a solo experience. So in that regard maybe Capcom should have played up the cooperative angle even more.

Jawmuncher

Nearly bankrupting the company every other RE game isn't a good idea. Capcom needs to not pull a SEGA and actually capitalize on all of the good parts of RE7.
RE6 did not bankrupt the company unless you have info I don't. It was a combination of multiple titles not reaching expectations and the failure of deep down that had capcom in a rut for a few years.

I kind of don't get the anger in this thread. Why is there so much backbiting between RE7 and RE4-style partisans? Can't people respect both types of games?

It's because for some people said style could become the only style. During RE4-6 that was all there was no horror. Not with 7 what if the next titles are all horror and no action?

Once again a part of the fanbase would be left in the cold. If capcom gave a better idea of what their future plans were I don't think there'd be as much negativity in both camps.

Crossing Eden

RE6 did not bankrupt the company unless you have info I don't. It was a combination of multiple titles not reaching expectations and the failure of deep down that had capcom in a rut for a few years.
It was so expensive and bloated that not even the great sales allowed them to recoup costs. It was undoubtedly their most expensive game ever at the time. And it flopped and released to less than stellar reception.

It's a shame that the market didn't respond to RE7 in the way Capcom had hoped, easily the best entry in the series since 4. I would kill for a continuation of the first person style, doubly so with VR support.
Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.
Awful first post.

Jawmuncher

It was so expensive and bloated that not even the great sales allowed them to recoup costs. It was undoubtedly their most expensive game ever at the time. And it flopped.

Dragons Dogma was out around the same time and ran into the same issues. I get people don't like RE6 but there's no reason to throw more shade on it. Especially when there isn't hard evidence. a game in that style again could be good for what it is and not cost anywhere near as much

Zukkoyaki

It was so expensive and bloated that not even the great sales allowed them to recoup costs. It was undoubtedly their most expensive game ever at the time. And it flopped and released to less than stellar reception.

That alongside Dragon's Dogma meeting a a similar fate and their investment into mobile coming nowhere close to paying off. It was a number of factors but Resident Evil 6 was certainly a major part.

I agree with you though. I'm sure Capcom would rather release something that makes a solid profit at 3-4 million units than something that sells 6 million and barely breaks even, if that.

That alongside Dragon's Dogma meeting a a similar fate and their investment into mobile coming nowhere close to paying off. It was a number of factors but Resident Evil 6 was certainly a major part.

I agree with you though. I'm sure Capcom would rather release something that makes a solid profit at 3-4 million units than something that sells 6 million and barely breaks even, if that.

I would think DD would have hit them much harder than RE6.
Don't think RE6 lost them money at all when all said and done .

I enjoyed quite a lot the co-op on 5, but Resident Evil 6 was insufferable. Leon's campaign was the only one I actually enjoyed. I barely tolerated Jake's and couldn't even bring myself to finish Chris' due to the over reliance on cover and shooting. It was awful.

If they're going to go back to that, make it more like 5 but better.

Fury451

Banned
I always find it interesting that people say Leon's campaign is the best. I have a theory that people who say that forget the catacombs, and the fucking transforming man who changes into a dinosaur boss fight that lasts for about 5 hours

Out of all the campaigns that one was the most batshit and guilty of the worst parts of RE6.

Jawmuncher

I do think some people assume that those who prefer the action want RE6 warts and all. Just a big mess of a game again. Which isn't the case. They just want a good action game in the RE universe. You don't need 4 large campaigns and other things to have that. As RE4 showed

Caffeine

Those two clowns have had enough games, where's the Carlos and Billy double team?

I would love Billy to come back we have no idea where he is after zero

I liked RE7, but best RE was 4-6, they need to go back to coop action with the next game.

Rebecca / Billy please.

I would love for the coop to be optional too i dont need a walking shitty ai controlled item box that doesnt help when playing solo

I always find it interesting that people say Leon's campaign is the best. I have a theory that people who say that forget the catacombs, and the fucking transforming man who changes into a dinosaur boss fight that lasts for about 5 hours

Out of all the campaigns that one was the most batshit and guilty of the worst parts of RE6.
The atmosphere of Leon's campaign was the best to me but I like the gameplay elements of all the other sections more.

I do think some people assume that those who prefer the action want RE6 warts and all. Just a big mess of a game again. Which isn't the case. They just want a good action game in the RE universe. You don't need 4 large campaigns and other things to have that. As RE4 showed
Preach.

My dream to play another game in the Resident Evil universe that can come closer to the heights of RE4 might remain unfulfilled for now. Perhaps The Evil Within 2 can be that game. We will see.

The final boss in RE7 is essentially the final boss from RE6. Sure, you don't blow up a liquid nitrogen canister, but visually identical. To the point some have suggested
the C-Virus was involved in Evelyn's creation.
I'm guessing this didn't register with as many people as it should have because most people don't finish games and therefore didn't finish Ada's campaign in RE6.

I noticed the resemblance.

Aters

Seriously is anyone surprised by the result? A 15 hour single player game with no multiplayer, and limited replay value don't sell well when every game can either lasts 50 hour or has a multiplayer mode. Things like RE7 and The Last Guardian can sell, but not at $60.

Seriously is anyone surprised by the result? A 15 hour single player game with no multiplayer, and limited replay value don't sell well when every game can either lasts 50 hour or has a multiplayer mode. Things like RE7 and The Last Guardian can sell, but not at $60.

15 hours?
I wish, its like 6-8.

Neff

Do people really give a shit about the bland personality deprived protagonists of 6?

You mean some of the most popular characters in a 20+ year entertainment franchise? Surely not.

The vast majority of Biohazard/RE fans do.

Seriously is anyone surprised by the result? A 15 hour single player game with no multiplayer, and limited replay value don't sell well when every game can either lasts 50 hour or has a multiplayer mode.

Personally I find the game very re-playable, but it seems that the short length of the game negatively impacted perception, especially in Japan.

15 hours?
I wish, its like 6-8.

My first run was 12 hours, with a lot of searching, wandering around, and general atmosphere-soaking.

Crossing Eden

Dragons Dogma was out around the same time and ran into the same issues. I get people don't like RE6 but there's no reason to throw more shade on it. Especially when there isn't hard evidence. a game in that style again could be good for what it is and not cost anywhere near as much
I mean considering their asset quality and the amount of changes they'd have to make to their engine, (this is after building it from the ground up with slow paced FP games with photorealistic visuals in mind). I don't think they'll ever attempt a project with the scope of RE6 again. Especially when RE7 got such good reception and good sales by comparison.

Capcom has never once insinuated that it lost money on RE 6.
They came out and said that even with it's strong launch the bad word of mouth and launch sales still were below expectations initially. Now, they eventually hit that expectation. But RE6 didn't exactly do good things for profits.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
RE7 was awesome, it's my favorite in the series.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If they do go back to the same old, same old with RE8 I hope it's shorter, RE6 had so much filler that could have been cut and by the end I was so bored of it.

RE7 was cool and all, but where is my action RE Capcom?

RE6 Remaster doing over a million should be enough for you to understand that (despite what horror fans want to believe) people actually like and buy action RE games.

How dare they make games that are not catered towars mainstream dude-bro who prefer big budget over the top action shooter.

With all due respect, people like you are sad, all you see is sales and money. Making something great and niche is a ''wasted business potential'' to you.

There are people in Capcom who are actually passionate about making unique, atmospheric horror games, they are the developers and the artists, they don't care how much money the game will make just so the higher up selfish fucks can celebrate the profit it generated. You know how I know? Cause I met a couple of them outside Shibuya station earlier this year.

This might be shocking for people like you, but there are developers who actually want to make great, unique and special games, there are people who makes games they want to make regardless of how it's gonna sell.

Seriously though, why do I even bother? People like you will never understand anyway, Shadow of the Colossus is probably a waste of investment in your eyes too, because it is noo niche, too different and sales are simply unimpressive at release.

I hope to god people like you don't work at the gaming industry. People like you squash other's dream in favor of profit.

''at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.'' what a loathsome post this is.

I have a co-worker who vomits at the though of tax money going to culture programs and art-based industries. "You only get whiny, black and white, French, bullshit movies when it's at the tax-payers expense".

He then said that we should just let the consumers decide what should be created.

The thought of the movie, music and gaming industry, all being completely driven by capitalist endeavors, frightens the shit out of me.

Top Bottom