• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Jawmuncher

You know this isn't true at all when it comes to mainline/AAA titles. RE VII was a good game and the development team should be given another shot to improve the formula before being thrown on the budget backburner. If RE VII-2/RE VIII turns out to be a critical and commercial failure, then I think it's fair to try something new.

If capcom isn't purposefully trying to penny pinch it's more than feasible. A game being a spin-off doesn't mean it has to have the mcdonalds budget of Revelations 2.

I still think RE7 had terrible marketing, so many people had no clue what it was. The switch to first person while needed for VR turns off lots of fans. The game is great, not as good as the best old games but at least it was a return to that style. Action version obviously hit a speed bump with 6 so it needed a sort of reboot but going so off the books with first person and random cast was a bad move.

ghostjoke

Banned
Maybe in the areas between the co-op doors that were generally larger than an entire chapter of RE4? I notice people always gloss over just how huge and wide RE6's levels are. RE6's graveyard makes RE4's look like someone's disorganised backyard.

Bigger does not equal better, something the entire industry could do with learning. Maybe it gets better latter on, but the two or so hours I played were an seemingly endless series of waiting around for the next clusterfuck shootout. It cemented the phrase "bro-door" in my head because of how often we had to say the phrase.

RE6 is definitely a worse co-op game than RE5.

I have fond memories of RE5's co-op. It started from a necessity of not wanting to deal with the A.I., but it had had the good kind of scrambling about and shouting at each other that kept the tension high. It's was no RE4 as a whole, but I don't regret the time with it compared to 6.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't describe them that way, but yes. Leon "I hate my life and want to die and did I mention I hate governments everywhere?" Kennedy is an incredibly popular character.
I mean, Leon S Kennedy is an incredibly popular character because of other games. I don't even remember a single thing about him in Resident Evil 6.

Granted, he's the worst of the game's protagonists by far in that regard.

6, co-op, incredible? Where in the endless moments of waiting around to open bro-doors was this incredible co-op?
RE6 is definitely a worse co-op game than RE5.

Bulzeeb

they need to do more games like 4, it was a prefect mix of horror and action elements, heck the village scene was a perfect example, you were fighting non stop and then the chain saw buzz sounds and you get one of the most tense and scary intro scenes in gaming

New life with less sales? I do expect RE8 to sell better than RE7 though. A bit of fine tuning and it could be real good. Still think FPV sucks, it certaibly didn't make the game any "scarier" if that was the goal.

Really? I thought it absolutely increased the immersion and scare factor and made for a much more tense experience. YMMV of course.

While I do like RE7 much more than 6, hell probably even 5, I can see why it didn't sell as much. It's easier to get fun out of huge set pieces and blockbuster action. It's a harder sell to get people to want to be on edge the whole game and deal with finicky survival horror staples. I love those kind of things and 7 overall, don't get me wrong, but I can see the average consumer easily preferring the action of 5/6 over the slow, scary madness of 7.

If capcom isn't purposefully trying to penny pinch it's more than feasible. A game being a spin-off doesn't mean it has to have the mcdonalds budget of Revelations 2.

Based on their past history (Revelations, Umbrella Corp), I'm pretty sure they'd penny pinch spin-offs though I suppose we'll see what happens once RE2 Remake comes out.

Do people really give a shit about the bland personality deprived protagonists of 6? .

are like the first thing I think of when I hear "zombie". Leon, etc to a lesser extent.

The entire idea of the STARS team in RE1 is what made it feel so special imo.
I have continued to follow the series mainly because I like the characters, the great games are a bonus.

Toxi

Banned

are like the first thing I think of when I hear "zombie".

I have continued to follow the series because I like the characters.
Okay, what did Chris do in Resident Evil 6 that was interesting?

Beyond continuing to exist?

Jawmuncher

Based on their past history (Revelations, Umbrella Corp), I'm pretty sure they'd penny pinch spin-offs though I suppose we'll see what happens once RE2 Remake comes out.

I think depending on the style will dictate it's budget. If they're essentially treating the remake like something akin to FF7R. It should be a good one.

are like the first thing I think of when I hear "zombie".

I have continued to follow the series because I like the characters.

Yep. Capcom knows at this point that characters play a big part of the series appeal to a point. It's why revelations 2 decided on bringing back Claire and Barry after all. Would not be surprised to see more older characters mixed with new characters (much like in RE6 and even Rev 2 with Moira) going forward.

He stopped Haos and effectively saved the world before it could manifest into a greater being. Along with the help from Piers in doing so.
Then you have the whole angle of him having to get over his PTSD and overcoming the squad mates he has lost along with wanting to avenge them.
Like I don't really get what you're getting at. If you don't like the character's that's fine. But this discussion just kinda starts falling into personal opinion.

The weakest story in RE6 is Leon's since for half of it he's following Helena. But even then that story even's out by the time they get into shanghai and need to clear their names together by stopping simmons.

No one is saying they're high art and the best examples in gaming of good characters. But i'd say they get the job done in RE1-6

The clear answer is not something like RE6 but something like RE4. Essentially RE7's game design with a third person perspective in larger scenarios.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
If RE 7 had terrible ads or lack of hype/marketing, it shouldn't have shipped 3.5 million within its launch months. If the word of mouth was good after launch, it should have no trouble clearing the 2 million target that Capcom had expected yet it has barely cleared 200k so far.

Maybe the game just hasn't resonated that well with the fanbase. It is also on sale on the PSN/Xbox Live and Steam so it is not like the price has been kept steady.

It's a third party single-player-only campaign-game in 2017. You can expect it to frequently go on sale. That's how they get people to bite; it's rare (with a few noted exceptions) for non-multiplayer, multi-platform games to hold much value six months after launch.

RE5 and RE6 both partially did so well due to the co-op, as discussed here. It's a lot easier to bring casual fans in/back when there's an incentive to play with a friend. When it's just playing alone, they may well just opt for more co-op games instead of finding value in a $60, non-multiplayer experience.

That is not how those games were sold, and not the core design of the game. It's just how you chose to play it. Very different.

It's like Mario Kart 8 saying has incredibly solo campaign.

You can say they weren't "sold" that way, but it was a big incentive for a lot of people to keep coming back to RE5 and even try it in the first place. It certainly has been for me and with 6 as well. Multiplayer games have longer term engagement than single player ones, there's nothing new about that.

Really now people are arguing the merits of the RE characters. This is a franchise that has created a mythology and one timeline that has lasted over 20 years with characters that fans do care about. Going with faceless douchebag Ethan was stupid.it doesn't need to Star a usual member but at least involve them. Or make new characters that are as good which the cast of RE7 is not minus a few of the Bakers, but they are dead now.

It's really too bad to hear. 3.7 already is fine, but if it's well short of internal projections then that's all that matters.

I thought 7 would have a much longer tail and better word of mouth than it seems to. The game is fantastic and if these sales cause them to go back to the 5/6 model, I'll be super disappointed.

I blame the horrible marketing for RE7's numbers.... they could have marketed the game MUCH better.

Anyhow, I hope the days of RE5 and RE6 NEVER comes back again.

Chris comes to accept his duty. For a brief moment, it seems like he might be able to pass the torch to Piers, but that wasn't meant to be. After losing his memory, he becomes Punished Chris, basically. With a LUST FOR REVENGE.

The most important and interesting thing Chris does in RE6 is fly a plane. Because flying planes is actually one of Chris' most important character traits.

What's interesting is that Chris manages to pull himself out of his alcoholic depression in RE6 to face the future with a sense of purpose and dignity, while Leon is getting worse with every new appearance. Chris knows that he's going to die on the job. Leon is, at this point, a bit past knowing, wanting, or caring. He feels the call of duty, but deep down he doesn't give a shit anymore. RE: Vendetta paints this perfectly clearly. (He was already a bitter alcoholic in RE: Damnation.)

vCEQwMP.jpg

Ray Down

Banned
It's really too bad to hear. 3.7 already is fine, but if it's well short of internal projections then that's all that matters.

I thought 7 would have a much longer tail and better word of mouth than it seems to. The game is fantastic and if these sales cause them to go back to the 5/6 model, I'll be super disappointed.

7 lacks a lot of what 5 and 6 had for fans and new comers to the series.

Coop (mainly this) and multiplayer.

It doesn't really require that much, as I also disliked a lot of 6's contrived elements (amnesia, no Jill mention, new guy is the one to find Chris, etc)
But Chris doing his thing and then the dynamic with Piers is enjoyable enough for me.

Chris is a straightforward military dude with little moments sprinkled in, im okay with that.

Chris comes to accept his duty. For a brief moment, it seems like he might be able to pass the torch to Piers, but that wasn't meant to be. After losing his memory, he becomes Punished Chris, basically. With a LUST FOR REVENGE.

The most important and interesting thing Chris does in RE6 is fly a plane. Because flying planes is actually one of Chris' most important character traits.

What's interesting is that Chris manages to pull himself out of his alcoholic depression in RE6 to face the future with a sense of purpose and dignity, while Leon is getting worse with every new appearance. Chris knows that he's going to die on the job. Leon is, at this point, a bit past knowing, wanting, or caring. He feels the call of duty, but deep down he doesn't give a shit anymore.
also this.

RedSwirl

Capcom needs to split the series in two. It needs to accept that horror isn't a mainstream genre: make one series to actually sell copies and make money, another to please dedicated fans and critics.

On one end Capcom probably needs to take another crack at the RE6 style game. To be honest, there was a potentially great game at the core of RE6 -- its combat and control system could have been a really inventive successor to RE4. Capcom just tried to pack way too much into that game and its campaigns ended up being really unpolished and all over the place as a result. Instead of doing four campaigns Capcom should have focused on one or two of them at most. From there, I eventually see action RE turning into some kind of online loot-driven Left 4 Dead-meets-Destiny type of game. Probably some game where you just make your own BSAA agent in a character creator and go shoot up horror monsters, or play co-op Mercenaries mode. Knowing Capcom that'll probably end up melding with what it has planned for Monster Hunter World.

On the flipside Capcom should still maintain a more horror-themed series of adventure games like RE7. Those would probably end up being lower budget though, and I wouldn't want them to end up looking like the Revelations games (which I saw as sort of a half step towards the horror/adventure roots).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The only argument to be had though is, who's to say another RE4esque action title couldn't have gotten critical acclaim either. It's nice to see RE7 back at a higher meta critic and what not. But I think it's unfair to say that had RE7 been anything but what it is, it would have failed in that.

There's also the fact that even with RE6 the IP still had a lot going for it. Rev 2 did wel as did the rereleases of REmake and RE0. Then there's all the other media it had in between. RE wasn't on deaths door after RE6.

A RE4-style action game could have been a very good game, yea, but the point is that the industry is leaving that style of game behind. It would be dated and new comers not very interested in it with a pallid perception coming off of a very lukewarm received 6 is not the way to keep an IP relevant and healthy.

The industry is very much in a different place now in terms of where development is going. If they wanted to make an action horror game, then they should have gone Open world crafting survival for example. You have to ride the wave or create a new one, digging through our own graveyard leads to exactly what you encover on this instusty in 2017.

The spirit of re7 was innovation, it went for a classic feel with a modern development - look at how it goes back to an emotional approach, and looks at games like amnesia and outlast and other indie horror titles for design. It uses VR a modern platform. It's a shake up and it was very much needed, and it worked: it has press back on their side, sentiment is there, tune-in is tjere (remember the reach of their demos?), quality is there. It'll be really interesting to see what they do with it.

Note, I'm not saying the next one needs to be a first person horror sequel at all btw- just the design strategy of innovation, and an emotional appeal. Move is yours, Capcom.

Riposte

Capcom have been killing their golden gooses left and right. Really hope Monster Hunter doesn't fall under the same fate.

EDIT: "Michael Bay" doesn't mean anything, especially in the context of action videogames, and there were plenty of horror themed moments in the Chris campaign (one might say horror-lite, because it wasn't that scary).

Jawmuncher

That is not how those games were sold, and not the core design of the game. It's just how you chose to play it. Very different.

What version of RE5 did you play? Half the complaints for RE5 were the forced coop in Single Player by way of having to take care of Sheva who could be damaged and hurt and would need weapons and upgrades from the player. A step which is negated if played online.

That was such a large complaint that they scaled it back for RE6. So you didn't need to take care of the AI. But even then both of those games were designed around coop even if playable in singleplayer.

The only slack i'd give is for Revelations 2. Since the coop is offline only and whoever gets stuck with the weaker character (Natalia or Moira), ends up not doing very much.

A RE4-style action game could have been a very good game, yea, but the point is that the industry is leaving that style of game behind. It would be dated and new comers not very interested in it with a pallid perception coming off of a very lukewarm received 6 is not the way to keep an IP relevant and healthy.

The industry is very much in a different place now in terms of where development is going. If they wanted to make an action horror game, then they should have gone Open world crafting survival for example. You have to ride the wave or create a new one, digging through our own graveyard leads to exactly what you encover on this instusty in 2017.

The spirit of re7 was innovation, it went for a classic feel with a modern development - look at how it goes back to an emotional approach, and looks at games like amnesia and outlast and other indie horror titles for design. It uses VR a modern platform. It's a shake up and it was very much needed, and it worked: it has press back on their side, sentiment is there, tune-in is tjere (remember the reach of their demos?), quality is there. It'll be really interesting to see what they do with it.

Note, I'm not saying the next one needs to be a first person horror sequel at all btw- just the design strategy of innovation, and an emotional appeal. Move is yours, Capcom.

I don't really disagree with the idea of "the industry leaving it behind" equals a good move. The industry left tank controls and fixed camera angles, yet people ate up the rereleases of REmake and RE0.
Especially when you say another action game should've been a survival crafting game. The only thing I agree with is that developers should be able to make what they want. But even with that said it's the audience that decides it at the end of the day.

I will give you 6 has it was really streamlined but 5 and Rev2 are entirely designed around co-op.

5 especially shouldn't be played solo.

Capcom needs to split the series in two. It needs to accept that horror isn't a mainstream genre: make one series to actually sell copies and make money, another to please dedicated fans and critics.
I'm genuinely asking you (and the rest of the thread), why isn't horror in gaming mainstream? In film its the most reliable box office genre there is and one of the most profitable.

What is it about horror games that don't mix as well with gaming? Too intense? Too 'slow'?

Ahasverus

I'm genuinely asking you (and the rest of the thread), why isn't horror in gaming mainstream? In film its the most reliable box office genre there is and one of the most profitable.

What is it about horror games that don't mix as well with gaming? Too intense? Too 'slow'?
The general public does have a shorter attention spam and like instant gratification while living freedom, hence the popularity of action, crafting and open worlds.

Horror games tend to be the contrary, they're slow, methodical, claustrophobic and restrictive by design.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's a third party single-player-only campaign-game in 2017. You can expect it to frequently go on sale. That's how they get people to bite; it's rare (with a few noted exceptions) for non-multiplayer, multi-platform games to hold much value six months after launch.

RE5 and RE6 both partially did so well due to the co-op, as discussed here. It's a lot easier to bring casual fans in/back when there's an incentive to play with a friend. When it's just playing alone, they may well just opt for more co-op games instead of finding value in a $60, non-multiplayer experience.

You can say they weren't "sold" that way, but it was a big incentive for a lot of people to keep coming back to RE5 and even try it in the first place. It certainly has been for me and with 6 as well. Multiplayer games have longer term engagement than single player ones, there's nothing new about that.

You're talking about engagement and retention, not acquisition. If the game had MTX, you'd be right, but they are older titles and don't offer in-game monetization that takes advantage of those features.

I expect it to come tho

Toxi

Banned

In film horror is consistently profitable because it's dirt cheap to make. Resident Evil 7 and Alien Isolation were not dirt cheap.

Horror films tend to be low budget. It's the go-to genre for people wanting to make films without breaking the bank. Peter Jackson started in horror. Making a horror videogame with good production values on a tight budget is not easy. Hence most devs resort to making Blair Witch-style walking simulators where spooky stuff happens sometimes.

While there are occasional box office surprises, most horror films are extremely profitable because their budgets are low. But this doesn't translate easily to game development.

Jawmuncher

I will give you 6 has it was really streamlined but 5 and Rev2 are entirely designed around co-op.

5 especially shouldn't be played solo.

lol. We went with opposite answers.
This is why the fanbase is such a mess. We can't even agree on the coop games.

You know why it's the most reliable and profitable genre in film? Because the budgets are super small. As an example Paranormal Activity cost 15,000 to make and made 193 million WW. While action films typically have a higher budget, especially those set in the summer.

The action films despite costing more bring in more people however. With the recent Jurassic World being a good example. Jurassic World cost 150 Million. Almost all of what Paranormal Activity made. But it also went on to make 1.6 Billion dollars when all was said and done.

For gaming it's the same case pretty much. Action is just more easily acceptable to many than horror is. Action is more easily enjoyable to the masses than the mindset for wanting to get scared and such.

This is an interesting thing to bring up. I've wondered that same thing myself. I have a few friends and family that watch a lot of movies but only play games casually. They refuse to play horror games. "That's too scary" is usually the response. I think they want to be scared during a film, but playing them is too real? LMFAO

I really have no idea

Personally, I absolutely loved RE7, I got a couple people into it who would have never checked this out on their own. I really enjoyed the change of first person perspective, how scary the game could be as things jumped out at you and suspense of trekking through the Baker house as I felt the need to move slowly and cautiously as if I were actually there, while feeling that sense of anxiety in the pit of my stomach.

Visually it was great and I was lucky enough to try it on VR for a short time and aside from being annoyed with how when you turned when moving, it felt like you clicked over, as if you were on an octagon path, instead of a fluid turn (which I assume is a Playstation VR limitation) it felt very real and incredibly heart pounding.

I happened to get the collectors edition for this and the music box is pretty cool, definitely creepy as fuck.

In film horror is consistently profitable because it's dirt cheap to make. Resident Evil 7 and Alien Isolation were not dirt cheap.

Horror films tend to be low budget. It's the go-to genre for people wanting to make films without breaking the bank. Peter Jackson started in horror. Making a horror videogame with good production values on a tight budget is not easy. Hence most devs resort to making Blair Witch-style walking simulators where spooky stuff happens sometimes.

While there are occasional box office surprises, most horror films are extremely profitable because their budgets are low. But this doesn't translate easily to game development.
You know why it's the most reliable and profitable genre in film? Because the budgets are super small. As an example Paranormal Activity cost 15,000 to make and made 193 million WW. While action films typically have a higher budget, especially those set in the summer.
I'm aware that horror in film is the least expensive genre, but it's not just that they are profitable it's that they consistently end up being #1 at the box office and have great word of mouth. They don't just make back their smaller production budget, they demolish it.

I guess this has happened with games (Five Nights at Freddy's) but whereas a movie fan will never be starved for horror films, a horror gaming fan is left with a lot less options.

7 should be a massive hit. I think it placates existing fans pretty well, is the best game that series has seen in at least a decade and is probably the most welcoming to new fans of the series.

What's interesting is that Chris manages to pull himself out of his alcoholic depression in RE6 to face the future with a sense of purpose and dignity, while Leon is getting worse with every new appearance. Chris knows that he's going to die on the job. Leon is, at this point, a bit past knowing, wanting, or caring. He feels the call of duty, but deep down he doesn't give a shit anymore. RE: Vendetta paints this perfectly clearly. (He was already a bitter alcoholic in RE: Damnation.)

vCEQwMP.jpg

Chris >> Leon confirmed.

I'm aware that horror in film is the least expensive genre, but it's not just that they are profitable it's that they consistently end up being #1 at the box office and have great word of mouth. They don't just make back their smaller production budget, they demolish it.

I guess this has happened with games (Five Nights at Freddy's) but whereas a movie fan will never be starved for horror films, a horror gaming fan is left with a lot less options.

7 should be a massive hit. I think it placates existing fans pretty well, is the best game that series has seen in at least a decade and is probably the most welcoming to new fans of the series.

definitely a lot less quality options lol

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.
Yea man, shame on Capcom, they should've never tried to actually please critics and horror fans by making an actual horror game out of the most popular horror franchise in this medium. That's just something a dev shouldn't do.

Top Bottom