• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve confirms Half-Life: Alyx, full reveal coming later this week.

Three

To put it into context, the vr user base on ps4 is less than half the size of the WiiU user base. And that it one of the more successful vr headsets 🤔
The VR userbase on PS4 is larger than the Xbox One X userbase. What's your point? These are enthusiast devices.

Kadayi

Banned
Valve cares about VR, and that's what's important.

Not enough to make an affordable solution it seems. Even on Steam, the Index is outgunned by Oculus to a staggering degree.

Lol, you really don't understand the difference between a personal want and want Valve wants to do. They already did that..

Again, you're not making a valid argument against what's being said here.

What's the actual market interest on a VR prequel title based on an unfinished franchise that they left to die over a decade ago? Whose buying this exactly?

I like that you spent the time to get the gif

Read my Tag

420bits

You would be dead wrong. A lot of people who made the original games are still at Valve. You can stop now.

Stop like Valve stopped making games? Ok, sure..

Imagine Nintendo going "well, we made Mario Galaxies, that wen't pretty well, people seem to love it. Lets not make another mariogame for 10+ years"

If you think Valve are as good as they were in the "glorydays" of L4D, Half life and portal etc. good for you!
I think they are a former shadow of themselves just like the other studios i mentioned and their focus has shifted from making games into making a platform that prints money. the only reason they are making a VR-HL-game is to push their hardware.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I want to care SO bad, SO bad. Well, and I do! However, I'm not going to get too excited until we know more. I remember when people were excited about the Portal VR experience when light details leaked, and it was essentially a tech demo.

I'm sure this will be more than that, at least I'd hope so. But I'm hoping for a true and honest to god game experience. Like others have mentioned, I wonder if it's going to be something that could eventually be made into a non-VR game. Because VR is still not affordable enough for the majority.

I've always been lightly interested in VR gaming, but I'm always hesitant because there's not enough that I'm genuinely interested in. So I keep thinking the $180-$400 VR headset could just become a paperweight.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
If they though this would be a good investment they would have done this years ago.

Yet companies can make mistakes. Soooooo we can stop pretending that they are all run with great logic and rationality. I see no benefit to them having many IP not being marketed to a massive install base. They are losing more being forgotten by the newer install base of users of those platforms then they are saving simply not doing a port.

A port doesn't cost that much to really suggest having several install bases move on without you is a great idea.

They gain what from this exactly? While Valve sleep, Epic and other publishers are gaining massive influence and established install bases of users that see those IP as day 1s. They will have to compete even harder when they do come back to the console market as they don't have years of gamers on Switch, PS4 or XONE who played those games to death that generation. So when they do come out with something on those platforms, those gamers might be more down for lets say "Fortnite 2", Minecraft 2 or Overwatch 2 etc then TF3 or L4D3 etc Its nothing against those IP either, simply that those titles I brought up EARNED that install base trust to be day 1 buys vs TF3 or L4D3, heck you might even hear people say junk like "Oh its a rip off of Overwatch 2 bro" and really, can we blame them? They KNOW of Overwatch, they might not know of Team Fortress series, that is Valves fault for that, not anyone else.

This is a game where you need to keep up and gamers will side with the thing they spent hundreds of hours playing this gen, not 10 years ago.

Romulus

Again, you're not making a valid argument.

What's the actual market interest on a VR prequel title based on an unfinished franchise that they left to die over a decade ago? Whose buying this exactly?

Read my Tag

Sure I am.

That's the whole point, Valve is in a unique position to do what they want. They honestly don't care what the majority wants or we would have half life 3 coming to every console and PC. They dont bother with things that dont interest them either.
A VR prequel makes even less sense from a market standpoint. But again, that all goes back to my original point with the remasters. It's easily a money maker, but there's no need in their eyes.

Gabe was recently asked about a half life 2 port for VR. "That's been done to death."

No it hasn't, not in VR, but that's some insight into his thinking, they want a truly new experience. I don't agree but Valve gonna Valve.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

My god, Fix the bad hair problem? Haha, you are really reaching.

There is no walking problem, most people I know do not get sick, people get used to VR. just because you have these problems does not mean everyone does.

It’s a list of nice to haves or non issues. Imagine complaining about sweaty palms with traditional controllers and just giving up on gaming.

Resolution and FOV and tracking and refresh rate continue to get better. Index’s refresh rate and resolution are great. But you know what? People have fun or they don’t. People still play NES games even though they’re pixelated messes compared to modern games. Those games are still fun. And even though VR isn’t a perfect experience in every single way, it is in enough ways that people love it and the whiners just sounds like salty bitches.

Sweat? Oh no I clean off the gasket on my index when it gets sweaty and use face wash every day. Hair? What am I throwing on my VR right before I head out in the morning? Walking problem? Lots of VR games can and are played seated anyway, it’s not a problem.

Just like any medium there’s a lot of shovelware to avoid. I've also never met anyone who’s tried Super Hot VR or Tetris Effect and not loved it

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Valve gonna Valve.

Isn't an argument. It's merely a comment on their ongoing ineptitude as a development studio whose AAA glory days are largely behind them. Without the Steam money, they'd have gone to the wall a long time ago. If Epic had come out of the gate with a comparable client and feature set with EGS things could have gone quite differently for them this year. Lucky for Gabe, Tim Sweeney managed to fuck that up thinking exclusives alone was a guarantee of success.

the only reason they are making a VR-HL-game is to push their hardware.

kbq3Cqk.gif

Yet companies can make mistakes. Soooooo we can stop pretending that they are all run with great logic and rationality. I see no benefit to them having many IP not being marketed to a massive install base. They are losing more being forgotten by the newer install base of users of those platforms then they are saving simply not doing a port.

A port doesn't cost that much to really suggest having several install bases move on without you is a great idea.

They gain what from this exactly? While Valve sleep, Epic and other publishers are gaining massive influence and established install bases of users that see those IP as day 1s. They will have to compete even harder when they do come back to the console market as they don't have years of gamers on Switch, PS4 or XONE who played those games to death that generation. So when they do come out with something on those platforms, those gamers might be more down for lets say "Fortnite 2", Minecraft 2 or Overwatch 2 etc then TF3 or L4D3 etc Its nothing against those IP either, simply that those titles I brought up EARNED that install base trust to be day 1 buys vs TF3 or L4D3, heck you might even hear people say junk like "Oh its a rip off of Overwatch 2 bro" and really, can we blame them? They KNOW of Overwatch, they might not know of Team Fortress series, that is Valves fault for that, not anyone else.

This is a game where you need to keep up and gamers will side with the thing they spent hundreds of hours playing this gen, not 10 years ago.

You have some weird obsessions about Valve needing to go back to the console market.

If you REALLY care about this why don't you just ask Gabe Newell yourself.

gaben@valvesoftware.com

He'll answer your questions.......
eventually.

I have some online friends who got an answer from him.

Tesseract

Banned
it was 6 years between hl1 and 2, and it'll be 6 years between dota 2 (last major venture) and this, putting aside the herculean efforts to get VR where it is

other trial balloons didn't work out or are in constant gestation like steamos, the controller, bpm, so on

valve never left they just pursued other interests, that's what you get from a private company run by a mad lad like gabe

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Banned
smh, does Valve even make games anymore? If I was them, I would be porting my titles TO DEATH!

Portal collection 4K, Left 4 Dead collection 4k, Half Life collection 4k Team Fortress 2 4K etc

What a waste....
They are sitting on so much money, they don't give a flying fuck. They are trying to create their own market where they dictate the terms. Just like Steam.

Paracelsus

Chet is getting pissed off by some of the hot takes:

If only people could wait to see the game in motion before passing judgement.

No need to, it's tied to a gimmick, like the Wii, and like the Wii it's a fad that died and got forgotten together with all its games no matter how strongly they were overrated.
The main key to a gamechanger is how quickly and cheaply it can be adopted as the default and how necessary it is, like the dual analog setup.
There's nothing cheap or necessary about VR, it's a side-step for a complete lack of ideas.

Romulus

Isn't an argument. It's merely a comment on their ongoing ineptitude as a development studio whose AAA glory days are largely behind them. Without the Steam money, they'd have gone to the wall a long time ago. If Epic had come out of the gate with a comparable client and feature set with EGS things could have gone quite differently for them this year. Lucky for Gabe, Tim Sweeney managed to fuck that up thinking exclusives alone was a guarantee of success.

The part you quoted is a comment, yeah. But the rest of my post is the argument for all the confusion. People are literally puzzled by their strategy when theres not much strategy at all these days. That's the whole point.

Romulus

No need to, it's tied to a gimmick, like the Wii, and like the Wii it's a fad that died and got forgotten together with all its games no matter how strongly they were overrated.
The main key to a gamechanger is how quickly and cheaply it can be adopted as the default and how necessary it is, like the dual analog setup.
There's nothing cheap or necessary about VR, it's a side-step for a complete lack of ideas.

I love it. Wii=VR.

Lol and the analog stick comparson is even better. A modification to an included controller versus a $300+ add on. Things like that take time. You said in your own post it's about affordability.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
The part you quoted is a comment, yeah. But the rest of my post is the argument for all the confusion. People are literally puzzled by their strategy when theres not much strategy at all these days. That's the whole point.

No, what you wrote beforehand was just more handwaving. You're excusing them for consistently failing their customer base purely on the basis that because one wing of the operation is vastly profitable, they don't have to give a fuck about what their customers want. Yet here they are hoping to sell those very same people a VR experience of an abandoned franchise they left unfinished 10 years ago, and it's not even a conclusion.

Last edited:

Romulus

Have the people who shit on VR, actually tried VR? Real VR, not google cardboard?

I do hope they fix the VR sickness though. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy VR because of it.

Nope. Even in late 2019 I'm demoing to be people who think its "a gimmick" only to be completely reversed with their mindset minutes later. It's pretty much a given reaction 98% of the time, or someone gets motion sick.

Romulus

No, what you wrote beforehand was just more handwaving. You're excusing them for consistently failing their customer base purely on the basis that because one wing of the operation is vastly profitable, they don't have to give a fuck about what their customers want. Yet here they are hoping to sell those very same people a VR experience of an abandoned franchise they left unfinished, and it's not even a conclusion.

What are you talking about excusing them? I spoke against it in my post, and this just shows you're not even reading my responses as I thought.

EDMIX

They are sitting on so much money, they don't give a flying fuck. They are trying to create their own market where they dictate the terms. Just like Steam.

Enough money that it shouldn't be an issue to port their whole collection.

If Square can do it, Valve can do it twice....

Thaedolus

Comparisons to the Wii are silly. With the exception of some use cases (FPS and sports games), Wii took something that wasn’t broke and added very little of substance to a souped up GameCube. It’s nowhere near comparable to the sensory isolation VR provides, nor the accuracy of the tracking, nor the room scale possibilities. Further, VR can still be played with a traditional controller on your comfy couch, as I like to do depending on the game. In these scenarios you’re losing basically none of the benefits of traditional gaming and gaining amazing true stereoscopic 3D and total immersion in the world. The spacial sound the Index produces with its off-ear speakers alone simply has to be experienced.

If you think it’s a gimmick I really question how much you’ve looked into it.

EDMIX

You have some weird obsessions about Valve needing to go back to the console market.

If you REALLY care about this why don't you just ask Gabe Newell yourself.

gaben@valvesoftware.com

He'll answer your questions.......
eventually.

I have some online friends who got an answer from him.

Nope. I just think its weird and likely a bad idea.

They have the money to take on Epic, I see no reason to ignore easy money.

Helios

they don't have to give a fuck about what their customers want
which will only come back and bite them in the ass. If they cared about money they'd just release the same rehashed soulless AAA title like every other big company. (If it was any other company we'd be at L4D 8 by now, which would be a reboot called just Left 4 Dead. )
But they don't. Because that was never the point and that was never Valve. I wish as much as the next guy for them to go back to making L4D3 or TF3 or something, but I also don't mind them releasing what they want. I never bought Artifact, because it never interested me. But I understood what they wanted to do.

Good one OP, i almost fell for it until I re-read the thread title and notice there was a lack of the number 3 and assumed it was some spin-off mobile game or VR game, lookes like I was right one one of those.

MrRenegade

Banned
it's a burgeoning field, there's plenty of high quality content

the tech is only gonna scale further, especially with augmented reality in the pipe

you have the vision of a bat and that's okay, nobody is asking you to do the heavy lifting
Maybe 10+ years later. Down to earth expectation helps. But ofc if you want to cumshot about it until you hit 90, then feel free to fantasize.

Nope. Even in late 2019 I'm demoing to be people who think its "a gimmick" only to be completely reversed with their mindset minutes later. It's pretty much a given reaction 98% of the time, or someone gets motion sick.

When I tried the DK2 in 2014, I was blown away by how the rollercoaster ride made you feel as if you were going around corners and up and down bumps.

Then I lasted about ten minutes on alien isolation before I sat in a warm pile of my own faeces.

gifgaf

Maybe 10+ years later. Down to earth expectation helps. But ofc if you want to cumshot about it until you hit 90, then feel free to fantasize.
He's not fantasising, he's actually playing VR, how is that a fantasy? He will be playing the new Half Life, you won't. :messenger_smirking:

When I tried the DK2 in 2014, I was blown away by how the rollercoaster ride made you feel as if you were going around corners and up and down bumps.

Then I lasted about ten minutes on alien isolation before I sat in a warm pile of my own faeces.
I really have to try this mod out for myself.

Last edited:

EDMIX

As I said. They don't care about it. If you want the experience play the old ones.

I agree they don't care about it.....assssss to why it was brought up.

I own them on PC.

The issue with folks like you is you think any argument is because the person making it WANTS said outcome to play the title or what ever the topic is about.

I own their whole collection of titles on PC......

So my comment is more so questioning why they are not releasing it to keep up with those IPs popularity knowing that a Switch, PS4 and XONE release would help support their long term appeal to gamers vs Fortnite or Minecraft etc. They need to keep up too. It has nothing to do with what I want to personally experience.

Kadayi

Banned
What are you talking about excusing them? I spoke against it in my post, and this just shows you're not even reading my responses as I thought.

No. I read your post, but the only thing of note was 'Valve gonna Valve' as if somehow they should be given a break for their inability to get their collective shit together time and again. The inherent problem with Valve is, it's become abundantly clear that when the going gets tough, Valve get going....in the other direction on something else instead. They have been in a malaise for quite some time

which will only come back and bite them in the ass. If they cared about money they'd just release the same rehashed soulless AAA title like every other big company. (If it was any other company we'd be at L4D 8 by now, which would be a reboot called just Left 4 Dead. )But they don't. Because that was never the point and that was never Valve. I wish as much as the next guy for them to go back to making L4D3 or TF3 or something, but I also don't mind them releasing what they want. I never bought Artifact, because it never interested me. But I understood what they wanted to do.

Steam should have been spun off as it's own business a good decade back Valve as a studio needed to live or die on its own merits as a developer. Instead, it's floundered with diminishing returns on it's AAA slate to become a shadow of its former self. One only has to read the infamous 'leaked'
New Employee Handbook to realise that Gabe and his lackeys have been huffing their own farts for several years now as if their financial success has arrived solely as a result of their great team culture and flat management versus the serendipity of coming up with the right product (Steam) at the right time.

MrRenegade

Banned
I agree they don't care about it.....assssss to why it was brought up.

I own them on PC.

The issue with folks like you is you think any argument is because the person making it WANTS said outcome to play the title or what ever the topic is about.

I own their whole collection of titles on PC......

So my comment is more so questioning why they are not releasing it to keep up with those IPs popularity knowing that a Switch, PS4 and XONE release would help support their long term appeal to gamers vs Fortnite or Minecraft etc. They need to keep up too. It has nothing to do with what I want to personally experience.
Maybe because it bogs down their devs. Devs are expensive and rare. Why work on outdated content when they have enough money?

EDMIX

No. I read your post, but the only thing of note was 'Valve gonna Valve' as if somehow they should be given a break for their inability to get their collective shit together time and again. The inherent problem with Valve is, it's become abundantly clear that when the going gets tough, Valve get going....in the other direction on something else instead. They have been in a malaise for quite some time

Steam should have been spun off as it's own business a good decade back Valve as a studio needed to live or die on its own merits as a developer. Instead, it's floundered with diminishing returns on it's AAA slate to become a shadow of its former self. One only has to read the infamous 'leaked'
New Employee Handbook to realise that Gabe and his lackeys have been huffing their own farts for several years now as if their financial success has arrived solely as a result of their great team culture and flat management versus the serendipity of coming up with the right product (Steam) at the right time.

Agreed.

Don't you love those threads that worry about a publisher becoming to arrogant because of success? This publisher is sooooooo arrogant because of Steams success, they don't even make games anymore anywhere like they used to.

They have enough money to not make games, apparently at this state its ok for them to not put out content and its beneficial for gamers for them not to even port what they've done in the past apparently

Last edited:
Top Bottom