• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

my assumption is that the big Taiwanese manufactures were not favorable to the steam box idea.

DOTA 2 TEAM MOST NOT BE TOUCHED VALVE MOST NOT BE TOUCHED!

L4D2 was made by Valve and even L4D was heavily supervised. Giving Turtle Rock credit is like giving credit to the myriad of awful development houses that made good games for Nintendo. It's not a coincidence their one standout game occurred when it did.

l4d was based off of a community mod for counterstrike.

the multiplayer was designed primarily during the developement of the crossing, a cancelled arkane/valve project.

Jhriad

Uhh,

Left 4 dead
Left 4 dead 2
Portal 2
DOTA 2
TF2 events and expansions?

All of those being series that were created/originally in development elsewhere before Valve picked them up. Does Valve create anything new in-house anymore?

trolololol
but seriously, do they?

EDIT: Aw, I'm late to the party. Sad panda.

Right after someone got fired pretty much on the spot? Hmm...
There is change afoot.
Change happens everywhere. And it happens because of a myriad reasons. We know too little of this issue to actually understand what is going on at Valve and how would it (or if) affect the company and what the company does in the short, medium and long term.

Orayn

the multiplayer was designed primarily during the developement of the crossing, a cancelled arkane/valve project.

L4D was based on an internal experiment using lots and lots of bots, not a "community mod."

Here.
[Mike Booth] While we were developing bots for Counter-Strike: Source, we discovered that a few of us armed to the teeth with automatic weaponry against 30 knife-wielding enemy bots was a lot of fun. After shipping Counter-Strike: Source in late 2004, we started experimenting with new game prototypes. That basic kernel of 'small team of friends against hordes of clawing enemies' was something we kept coming back to and we soon realised that the 'co-op vs the horde game' had a ton of potential. We started work in earnest on what was to become Left 4 Dead in early 2005 and in about a week we had a very rough, but very playable and fun prototype. We began our daily cycle of playtest/discuss/modify that continued for the next three years. Left 4 Dead is the result of this evolutionary design process.

Detox

L4D2 was made by Valve and even L4D was heavily supervised. Giving Turtle Rock credit is like giving credit to the myriad of awful development houses that made good games for Nintendo. It's not a coincidence their one standout game occurred when it did.

Not at all. L4D lives and dies with the AI director and that was made by Michael Booth the founder of Turtle Rock.

In regards to Jason Holtman, he might have been let go because of his push for Steam Greenlight and Gabe's recent talk about how the system has failed. It would have been his idea most likely to have the system put into place.

So they fired a bunch of Seniors for bad performance? No warning, just straight up firing?
Sounds weird.

We really don't know. Maybe a lot of these guys are forming a new company because they want to go back to the simplicity of JUST making games. Valve has become a technology company and has so much stuff on their plate that is equally if not more important than making games. Doesn't seem hard to believe that a lot of old passionate game makers just want to go back to doing what they came into the industry to do and are leaving to do just that.

I have a feeling in past performance reviews, not as many higher ups were let go.

"We've been reviewing your performance."
"Right yeah well I think I need to develo-"
"Your fired."
"How lon-"
"Leave. Now."

Check that guys twitter he goes on to claim hes not buying it when its one source claiming to be fired. We have two people who have confirmed to have been let go today; one we know was fired on the same day they left.

This was not a plan.
Valve are suppose to be making a steambox and just shut down their hardware department.
They also let go a bunch of development stuff (not usually the thing you do before a product launch); this is bigger than just a 'performance review'.

For all this to have happened - Valve would have had to change strategy not just review staff and suddenly let a bunch of them go. Performance Reviews are longer term than 'you can or can't stay'; their more about developing staff.

You know for a fact they weren't warned? Or talked to?

Someone announced she was fired today and then left the same day. She didn't 'finish work'; she was fired.

"We've been reviewing your performance."
"Right yeah well I think I need to develo-"
"Your fired."
"How lon-"
"Leave. Now."

Check that guys twitter he goes on to claim hes not buying it when its one source claiming to be fired. We have two people who have confirmed to have been let go today; one we know was fired on the same day they left.

This was not a plan.
Valve are suppose to be making a steambox and just shut down their hardware department.
They also let go a bunch of development stuff (not usually the thing you do before a product launch); this is bigger than just a 'performance review'.

For all this to have happened - Valve would have had to change strategy not just review staff and suddenly let a bunch of them go. Performance Reviews are longer term than 'you can or can't stay'; their more about developing staff.
I love how you know everything about all of this, so much more than all of us.

Please tell us more how things are at Valve.

Kalnos

Banned
This was not a plan.

Source or do you want to keep spouting bullshit?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Come on man!
We're just playing pretending to be Michael Pachter! Dont hate on us :(

So your not making any assumptions or claims? Nice one but I doubt it'll hold up to your post history.

Source or do you want to keep spouting bullshit?

The entire thing started with this. No need to be so dickish about it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...e_decisions_about_its_future.php#.URwesaL3tM7

We've been unable to determine an exact headcount, but phrases we've heard from affected employees describing the incident include "great cleansing" and "large decisions." We've seen the number "25" tossed around, but are unable to confirm this.

We can, however, confirm that the cuts have affected more than one department, namely hardware and Android development.

Affected employees were asked not to speak about specifics, but the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues.

Valve has not responded to our requests for clarification. This story will be updated as we learn more about what happened.

1-D_FTW

Not at all. L4D lives and dies with the AI director and that was made by Michael Booth the founder of Turtle Rock.

Sorry. But ideas are a dime a dozen. Valve's biggest gift is their ability to playtest and polish an experience. For people to not acknowledge this and say Valve had zero impact is laughable in my book.

Come on man!
We're just playing pretending to be Michael Pachter! Dont hate on us :(

It's just frustrating that's all. None of us know anything and then all of a sudden it's a giant conspiracy. I should be used to it by now, internet and all, but jesus it gets on my nerves.

At the end of the day this will be close to nothing. You wouldn't have noticed anything if you didn't come to gaf or read kotaku or whatever.

I also had a terrible day today so I'm on the wrong side of things.

So your not making any assumptions or claims? Nice one but I doubt it'll hold up to your post history.

I said, this is the most reasonable thing to assume right now, and then guess what just popped up on twitter. Oh performance reviews. This isn't a HUGE deal or anything. Yeah it sucks for the people who got let go, and I'm sure parts of Valve will miss their input, but at the end of day some people got let go. It's between Valve and them on why but it's not VALVE IS EXITING GAME DEVELOPMENT or MAYBE THEY WERE EMBBEZZLING

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's why I've never understood why gamers stood behind Valve as this greater good type Dev.. they are the epitome of what's wrong to gamers who want deep single player experiences.

Half-Life is dead.

Because they like games like Dota 2 and Tf2 and with the great content creation model, free high quality games and constant updates?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It's just frustrating that's all. None of us know anything and then all of a sudden it's a giant conspiracy. I should be used to it by now, internet and all, but jesus it gets on my nerves.

At the end of the day this will be close to nothing. You wouldn't have noticed anything if you didn't come to gaf or read kotaku or whatever.

I also had a terrible day today so I'm on the wrong side of things.
Sorry man im just playin' around. :(

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

That always rubbed me the wrong way. Valve bought Turtle Rock, got what they needed and let everyone go. At least that's how I heard it went down.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Better reach to TimeGate directly and cut the middleman.

I laughed, thanks.

Half Life 3 developed by TimeGate. Meltdowns would be... something I can't even imagine. HL3 releases and it's a mediocre shovelware.

That always rubbed me the wrong way. Valve bought Turtle Rock, got what they needed and let everyone go. At least that's how I heard it went down.

Everyone who was at Turtle Rock Studios was offered a job at Valve before the closure of Valve South. Valve wanted everyone under the same roof. Some members of Turtle Rock moved and others decided to stay in California.

During E3 this week, Gamasutra tracked down Valve marketing VP Doug Lombardi to confirm and clarify those reports: Booth himself remains in Irvine, California; several team members moved to Bellevue to work at Valve proper; and although the physical Valve South office is no longer in operation, the remaining team members are currently working with Booth on another unnamed project.

"It's not like we shut it down. We bought the studio and we're still working with, I think, every single person from the studio," Lombardi explained.

The exec referred back to the situation leading up to the acquisition to better frame the events:

"Turtle Rock was just Mike at the beginning, and after he refused to move to Seattle, we said [to] start hiring people and build prototypes for what became Left 4 Dead, which was called Terror at the time," Lombardi recalled. "Finally, we said, you guys are a bunch of contractors working under Turtle Rock Studios; why don't we just call you Valve South?"

But after the game was complete, the traditional Valve practice of team members moving around to different projects was more difficult in the context of a remote location.

After several members of the Valve South team -- which Lombardi described as only ever numbering "nine or 11 in total" -- moved up to Bellevue, the remaining staff were not enough to justify a fully-fledged studio.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23913#.UR1yhKWTynY

Kalnos

Banned
The entire thing started with this. No need to be so dickish about it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...e_decisions_about_its_future.php#.URwesaL3tM7

You said they shut down their hardware department when the article clearly states that they laid people off and some of them happen to be from their hardware department. It's hyperbole like that which makes these sorts of threads dumb.

We don't even know what 'hardware department' even refers to. Is it Steam database related, is it Steam Box related, is it something entirely different? No one knows.

Top Bottom