• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

JCizzle

Sony purchasing them would make Feb 20 the most epic day in video game history. PS4, HL3 launch game, full Steam online integration.

Well, when I see that many devs leave at the same time, I assume they have a shiny new startup. Will be interesting to see what news surfaces of this.

The power went out for most of York about an hour ago, and everyone was plunged into darkness.

I cannot ignore the signs.

The end times are coming.

tumblr_mi6jmwb2gE1r42s8uo1_500.png

:(

I'm going to say that they left to form a new company. Didn't Gabe himself said one time that most people at Valve could get funding to get their own games within hours if they ever left Valve?

A lot of them had been with Valve for a while. People do get tired of working on the same thing for many years.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What if there was a Coup d'état? And now Gabe is no longer the president?

MRORANGE

I think I know what happened, while Gabe was at the DICE conference the rest of Valve started working HL3, when Gabe came back he found out their treachery and decided to take swift brutal action.

wrowa

I think the facebook posts sounds more like he was laid off instead of leaving the company on his own. However, you can pretty much read into it whatever you want.

What if there was a Coup d'état? And now Gabe is no longer the president?

Isn't Gabe the owner of Valve? How would someone take over his place?

I'm gonna say Valve is getting out of the game making business, but let's be honest they haven't exactly been a game dev for a while now, that hasn't been their focus.

AkuMifune

Banned
I think I know what happened, while Gabe was at the DICE conference the rest of Valve started working HL3, when Gabe came back he found out their treachery and decided to take swift brutal action.

It was the opposite. He said, "When I get back HL3 had better be finished or I'm cleaning house!" and they all laughed merrily.

But he was serious.

DocSeuss

One thing I think would be neat is if Valve hired people, trained them and helped them become awesome devs, and then let them go where they pleased, enriching game development everywhere.

Assuming, of course, Valve's design philosophies were good, and I don't believe they are.

Gabe once said something along the lines of he was sad when people left and something along the lines of wanting to keep people around and happy as long as possible. What's going on doesn't fit with that statement.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Gabe's talk about being unable to compete with "customers" in terms of content creation, his will to monetize that content as well as making money of the most mundane stuff like banners for DOTA spectators and opening up Steam further as a "marketspace", makes me guess that we might see even less content than we already did from valve in the future.

Corto

DerZuhälter;47684280 said:
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Gabe's talk about being unable to compete with "customers" in terms of content creation, his will to monetize that content as well as making money of the most mundane stuff like banners for DOTA spectators and opening up Steam further as a "marketspace", makes me guess that we might see even less content than we already did from valve in the future.

That also rubbed me the wrong way on his talk. But maybe it just means that Valve needs to separate the game development part of the company from the games distribution and sale part of the company.

Tunin

I dunno, 25 employees and no word about what happened? There must be something going on involving some kind of NDA.

Valve merging with someone? Being bought?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I think would be neat is if Valve hired people, trained them and helped them become awesome devs, and then let them go where they pleased, enriching game development everywhere.

Assuming, of course, Valve's design philosophies were good, and I don't believe they are.

Gabe once said something along the lines of he was sad when people left and something along the lines of wanting to keep people around and happy as long as possible. What's going on doesn't fit with that statement.

There have been more recent quotes, I believe from Gabe himself although I can't remember specifically, about being aggressive when it comes to hiring and firing.

Top Bottom