• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

Guevara

Valve spins off Steam, sells it to Microsoft. It's their new game and software deliver platform.

Valve (the game design portion) remains independent but with a non-compete (so they drop the hardware and Android plans.

Bunch of people leave because they don't want to join MS, the rest are fired.

Weird... So it wasn't a particular project getting cancelled. It was a variety of layoffs. Timeline wise, did this all go down while Gabe was at DICE speaking with Abrams?

Raises the question just what Gabe has been playing at the last few weeks.

If they were public he'd be on his way out now. Funding hardware prototypes for a failed Kickstarter, going on a Linux/hardware PR blitz, and then dumping the actual team behind it would land any CEO not Steve Ballmer a pink slip.

Zia

Glad Gabe Newell delivered that DICE keynote right before everyone that works in the industry started hating his guts.

I don't see what the problem is.

Gabe said that Valve needs to get out of the way of the community. Valve games are now entirely community created.

MormaPope

Banned
This is all a ruse to get everyone worked up

HL3 announced as a PS4 exclusive Feb 20th CONFIRMED

With the rumors of the Durango having to be always online, Halo coming to steam rumors, and these random layoffs, I'd put money on the Microsoft partnership.

Just throwing some speculation out there, chances are Gabe/top Valve management are implementing a new plan for the company.

What the hell is going on?
is5gJSVfmQpEp.jpg

The only things I can think of:
- Massive internal argument. One that involves shouting.
- Tax Case spanning multiple years (Gabe looking for an out and trying to catch tech companies eyes didn't work).
- Gabe has gone mad.
- This.
- Employees within Steam have been doing something they shouldn't have and got caught (Director of Business fits this imo)
- Gabe is downsizing cause...well he wants to.
- STUFF

We know none of this was planned. An event has taken place. The question is what?
That's all you can think of?

Not anything actually realistic or probable?

injurai

Banned
If they were public he'd be on his way out now. Funding hardware prototypes for a failed Kickstarter, going on a Linux/hardware PR blitz, and then dumping the actual team behind it would land any CEO not Steve Ballmer a pink slip.

Yeah, I wonder if this pet project became a massive resource sink that proved to be unsustainable.

Alienous

Gabe's in his office, swinging around his mock gravity gun, just aiming at people and telling them to get out.

The beard has gotten to him.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
They fired two people who worked on the LOTR trilogy and hired someone who worked on Avatar.

They're just updating their tech.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Geez, I wonder what happened. I've always heard that Valve is the place you get hired at and never want to leave.

Randdalf

They probably just did their yearly peer review thing and let go those who weren't performing to standard, sad as it is.

Not anything actually realistic or probable?

I don't think a serious disagreement is that mad actually.
Tax Case is out there but the only financial issue I can think of unless the Director of Business has done something very very stupid. (which I doubt).

Care for any suggestions?

Top Bottom