• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

Can anyone make a list of important names and roles and what they did in the past for valve games that were fired?

The only name I see that means anything to me is the source film maker guy.
Bookkeeper/business manager doesn't really interest me it has no bearing on the quality of the games these people are freely interexchangeable.

Serious answers only please, trolls with funny haha jokes that don't actually answer my question need not apply.

I don't think a serious disagreement is that mad actually.
Tax Case is out there but the only financial issue I can think of unless the Director of Business has done something very very stupid. (which I doubt).

Care for any suggestions?

They probably just did their yearly peer review thing and let go those who weren't performing to standard, sad as it is.

This is my bet as it's easily the most realistic.

Coen

Scary stuff. I just hope this doesn't affect their PC focus. Thoughts of a partnership or takeover by a console manufacturer or publisher make my shiver.

monome

I come to collect shattered dreams.

Strong armed by publishers.
Bought by MS
Alliance with Sony.

I guess those steambox threads will never materialize.

Funny thing would be next Xbox is indeed always on and publishers agreed to fuck Steam to make it happen...

FStop7

Banned
Between this and Halo showing up on Steam, I think the writing is on the wall.

Something big is going on and Microsoft is involved.

Halo on Steam
Valve hardware staff laid off
Microsoft acquisition or partnership actually seems rather plausible

who knows?

Coincidentally, I'm going up to Redmond tomorrow night.

I'LL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS GAIZ

I'll also stop by Bungie and scream and sob at their doorstep until they show me Destiny, too.

Say Hi to Steam's new CEO

tim-cook.jpg

The reason why I find Steam so unimpressive is because I run it on that guy's OS.

Wild guess. Steam will be sold. Valve and Steam will be two different companies.

Doesn't fit losses on both sides imo.

This is my bet as it's easily the most realistic.

Yeah a nice 'Peer Review' for the Director of Business and a large amount of Valve staff including the director of art on one of their big successes. It would fit if they dumped hardware and Gabe has only been supporting his team; but it doesn't fit the time frame of Gabe still selling the idea.

This does not seem expected internally. Something happened imo.

PC Gamer Article

PDATE: Garry’s Mod creator Garry Newman tweets the appearance of a number of differences on Valve’s staff page seen through Diff Checker. The comparison tool indicates the removal of nine employee bios from the People section of Valve’s company page, listed below:

Moby Francke, Half-Life 2 character designer and Team Fortress 2 art lead
Jason Holtman, director of business development for Steam and Steamworks
Keith Huggins, character animator and animator for Team Fortress 2 “Meet the” video series
Tom Leonard, software engineer for Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead
Realm Lovejoy, artist for Half-Life 2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead. She was also part of the original DigiPen-turned-Valve team that created Narbacular Drop, the inspiration for Portal
Marc Nagel, test lead for Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and patch updates
Bay Raitt, animator for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal
Elan Ruskin, engine programmer for Left 4 Dead, Portal 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Matthew Russell, animator for Team Fortress 2 “Meet the” video series

These are significant roles....

Seems like some big project wasn't going well. Maybe the end of Steam Box (and no longer needing hardware engineers)?

edit: After seeing the list who knows. Seems like an awful lots of software engineers and art/creative.

Amir0x

Banned
those seem to be some important people

And all I ever want is Half-Life 3. Hopefully these changes facilitate that somehow in my fairytale land of imagination :*(

Some ten percent of your staff coming up as useless in routine annual reviews is... unusual, let's say.

If this hullabaloo was limited to the hardware people, I might think that idea had some heft. Seeing as their hardware focus hasn't produced anything yet, so maybe a change in direction for the company and letting them go might make sense.

But if its people like the TF2 Art director and other leads on the more software/game related side leaving...then that seems more conspicuous.

MormaPope

Banned
PC Gamer Article

PDATE: Garry’s Mod creator Garry Newman tweets the appearance of a number of differences on Valve’s staff page seen through Diff Checker. The comparison tool indicates the removal of nine employee bios from the People section of Valve’s company page, listed below:

These are significant roles....

Yikes. That's a lot of talent that's instantly gone.

Doesn't fit losses on both sides imo.

Yeah a nice 'Peer Review' for the Director of Business and a large amount of Valve staff including the director of art on one of their big successes. It would fit if they dumped hardware and Gabe has only been supporting his team; but it doesn't fit the time frame of Gabe still selling the idea.

This does not seem expected internally. Something happened imo.
He literally just said a few weeks ago "we need to be more aggressive in firing". What's more likely? That some of these people were no longer up to snuff? Or a massive conspiracy and plot and bankruptcy?

Top Bottom