• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

SDF-1

Banned

Even if they didn't just patch the game, this whole argument falls flat. If you were that bent out of shape about developers initial intentions you'd just fix the game to 30fps as it was originally intended and bam, away you go, historically accurate Vanquish.

I think most people are giving the existence of bugs a pass because they fairly assume the game is probably being ported for minimal budget on a skeleton crew. If they weren't at all responsive to community feedback in this or Bayonetta's port there'd be more justification for melodrama.

Grief.exe

Even if they didn't just patch the game, this whole argument falls flat. If you were that bent out of shape about developers initial intentions you'd just fix the game to 30fps as it was originally intended and bam, away you go, historically accurate Vanquish.

I think most people are giving the existence of bugs a pass because they fairly assume the game is probably being ported for minimal budget on a skeleton crew. If they weren't at all responsive to community feedback in this or Bayonetta's port there'd be more justification for melodrama.

It also seems like this issue comes up in one form or another nearly ubiquitisly when jerry rigging old console games for frame rates never planned by the original developers.

Coda

Nice, glad to see the patch is up for testing. About to try it out soon, between having this and having a trainer for the game to just mess around with has made this finally the perfect port!

Momentary

Banned
Anyone getting like a white boarder around their game. I'm getting a tiny white line on the left and top of the game while playing. It's not noticeable until you get into darker scenes.

I don't think it's from the game itself since it just started happening. I'm forcing HBAO+ and SGSSAA x2. So it could be coming from that. I'm just too lazy to trouble shoot and the game looks too good now to turn those options off.

I'm just wondering if anyone's found a workaround.

Currently my workaround for first person intermissions slowdowns is to set the game from 4K down to 720p. Good thing that it doesn't affect sniping.

didamangi

Anyone getting like a white boarder around their game. I'm getting a tiny white line on the left and top of the game while playing. It's not noticeable until you get into darker scenes.

I don't think it's from the game itself since it just started happening. I'm forcing HBAO+ and SGSSAA x2. So it could be coming from that. I'm just too lazy to trouble shoot and the game looks too good now to turn those options off.

I'm just wondering if anyone's found a workaround.

Forcing sgssaa/msaa can introduced that tiny white line on some games. you can use reshade/sweetfx border to "fix it." AFAIK that's the only thing that can hide it, or turn off your AA solution.

Momentary

Banned
Forcing sgssaa/msaa can introduced that tiny white line on some games. you can use reshade/sweetfx border to "fix it." AFAIK that's the only thing that can hide it, or turn off your AA solution.

Yeah I just turned it off and it disappeared. I had another way to force some good AA in the game that was less demanding, so I'll go back to that.

iavi

Props to Sega and little stone for acting quickly. Completely different response than Squeenix on Nier. They STILL haven't pushed a patch for that game aside from DLC.

silva1991

I bought this and Bayonetta two days ago and I missed the discount apparently ...

Not mad tho. I haven't enjoyed a TPS gameplay much since last gen and hopefully this one do the trick.

Quick and dirty comparison

60 fps
https://clips.twitch.tv/SuccessfulBoredNikudonNomNom

30 fps
https://clips.twitch.tv/HotPiercingLyrebirdFloof

forgive the use of twitch clips since i cant edit to save my life lol

When looking at the comparison here (warning, loud): https://my.mixtape.moe/xmyhfk.mp4
It seems like 30 and 60 are matched but framerates faster than 60 now let you take less! damage. People on the Steam hub also say that certain scipted events break at 100+ fps and things like auto target of the rocket launcher lock-on faster on higher fps.

I guess Little Stone will bite their nails out trying to fix all framerate related misbehaviours in this game.

Miker

When looking at the comparison here (warning, loud): https://my.mixtape.moe/xmyhfk.mp4
It seems like 30 and 60 are matched but framerates faster than 60 now let you take less! damage. People on the Steam hub also say that certain scipted events break at 100+ fps and things like auto target of the rocket launcher lock-on faster on higher fps.

I guess Little Stone will bite their nails out trying to fix all framerate related misbehaviours in this game.

This sucks, but it's actually kinda fascinating to watch it play out. Guess I'll cap it at 60 with the beta patch in the meantime.

Durante

uncapped and broken framerate

lovely
Let's look at the situation holistically, shall we?
This game shipped with uncapped framerate support, and there were some issues with it.

Many of those were patched within days, and now it's close to perfect at both 30 and 60 FPS, with more minor divergences remaining. I'm sure further patches will improve the situation at higher framerates.

Conversely, with most Japanese-made PC ports, you're getting the same FPS lock as on consoles, and a patch after a month if you're lucky.

I know what I prefer.

(Talking about the "most" above: kudos to From Software, who in DS3 at least support 60 FPS on PC while it's only 30 on consoles -- though it's still locked that's a huge improvement)

Izuna

Banned
This game shipped with uncapped framerate support, and there were some issues with it.

Many of those were patched within days, and now it's close to perfect at both 30 and 60 FPS, with more minor divergences remaining. I'm sure further patches will improve the situation at higher framerates.

Conversely, with most Japanese-made PC ports, you're getting the same FPS lock as on consoles, and a patch after a month if you're lucky.

I know what I prefer.

(Talking about the "most" above: kudos to From Software, who in DS3 at least support 60 FPS on PC while it's only 30 on consoles -- though it's still locked that's a huge improvement)

Semi-ironically (and admittedly impossible to pick up on) is the fact that I want to play this game in 144hz and it's somewhat good for me to wait to play it.

However, I think the fact that "uncapped framerate" was a big part of its advertising, it's at least a little bit silly that this issue was seemingly not picked up prior to its release. If it had been, and they were already working on a patch, then they should have noted that it was a beta feature.

It's important that they eventually get it working perfectly.

That being said, Respawn did the same thing with Titanfall 2 where 144hz was even benchmarked in the article that had the recommended specs and yet one of the Titans shields drained faster based on the fps.

Vitor711

Beta patch does nothing for me - all the same issues as before, weird. Early skipping of cutscenes and FPS at 144Hz still borked.

-MD-

Ya I'm not seeing a difference with the beta patch, I still overheat after like 2-3 hits on 144hz and it's only on normal.

Verder

Everyone if you guys love this game and have not played Binary Domain please play it .

Sega secretly had some of thee best tps last gen

Everyone if you guys love this game and have not played Binary Domain please play it .

Different style of game.

I play Vanquish for fast paced shooting and moving around like a madman.

BD is the opposite of that.

Also in BD you have to worry about Teammates.

I used to be a huge fan of TPS but cover based shooting has worn out on me. I loved Uncharted 2, preordered 4 and still haven't finished it.

Meanwhile I finished Vanquish in 2 sittings. What a blast.

SDF-1

Banned

I actually went back to give this a go in between Vanquish sessions. Its good but a bit of a shock trying to adjust to a conventional cover shooter approach when you've gotten used to jet kneeing and ARing everywhere.

Also its got that weird direct input thing going on where if you use Steam link/in home streaming or an XBone controller all the bindings are completely cooked.

I actually went back to give this a go in between Vanquish sessions. Its good but a bit of a shock trying to adjust to a conventional cover shooter approach when you've gotten used to jet kneeing and ARing everywhere.

Also its got that weird direct input thing going on where if you use Steam link/in home streaming or an XBone controller all the bindings are completely cooked.

Watch people run Vanquish challenge maps on youtube. You wouldn't even be able to tell this game is a cover shooter.

I know what I prefer.

I played DS3 on PC and my weapons never degraded one bit. I wonder if they just turned weapon durability off altogether? I felt like it was odd that my weapons never needed repairing during my playthrough and then reading this thread, it made me wonder

MDave

Got this running at 4K60fps+ on my 970. All settings max except for AA (FXAA used) and SSAO turned off (effect was barely noticeable anyway). It looks and feels so good man.

EDIT: Got choppy playback of the video cut scenes? Turning off AA seems to help. The engine must be applying it to those moments too, crazy.

I played DS3 on PC and my weapons never degraded one bit. I wonder if they just turned weapon durability off altogether? I felt like it was odd that my weapons never needed repairing during my playthrough and then reading this thread, it made me wonder

The issue was in Dark Souls 2, not 3.

I was talking about BD being a conventional cover shooter.

Binary Domain is definitely no Vanquish, but I was impressed at how aggressive it allows the player to be. With good team management, weapon use, and proper enemy manipulation via headshots, you can really cut down on cover usage even on the harder modes.

SDF-1

Banned
Binary Domain is definitely no Vanquish, but I was impressed at how aggressive it allows the player to be. With good team management, weapon use, and proper enemy manipulation via headshots, you can really cut down on cover usage even on the harder modes.

Yeah def keen to give it a proper go at some point. Probably well after Ive clocked and forgotten about Vanquish though.... Like I said the shift in mechanics comes as too much of a shock if you play them one after the other.

Is the voice recognition stuff integral? Ive just been playing on controller alone.

Rokal

New beta patch also fixes the cutscene audio. Hats off to them for fixing my biggest two issues after only a few days.

Is anyone posting videos like this on PC? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1J4TxldPY

I know the game is still bugged. But I kinda want to see speedruns in at high settings.

Hope someone emails him to do it.

n2Mxyyv.gif

Top Bottom