• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

renzolama

I don't mean to keep this going unnecessarily, but I figured I would try to clarify my position a bit.

You guys might be looking too deeply into the word, but Vanquish PC is broken. The game was designed and balanced around certain expectations -- "enemies do this amount of damage" -- and if you run it above 30fps you don't get that. The game's design is fundamentally broken. This isn't the actual Vanquish game anymore. Some people might prefer that, just like Broken Street Fighter 2 has its fans, and that's perfectly fine, but this game wasn't sold to us as Broken Vanquish.

I do probably care about playing a game how it's intended/designed more than most gamers do, that's definitely true. (I also recognize how murky the issue can get, that I could be accused of hypocrisy for being cool with higher resolutions and framerate, but I feel I can see a reasonably solid, consistent line there.) But I truly don't understand how anybody can seriously defend a game that isn't working on a basic, mathematical level. These games aren't free, why don't all of us expect them to properly work just like we'd expect any non-game product we buy to work?

Obviously if you're having fun that's great, honest, and I don't mean to come across as trying to censor your fun. But I just feel gaming would be in a much better place if this sort of thing wasn't given such a wide pass. Having games function as designed isn't too much to ask for from publishers.

Hopefully this damage issue will be fixed in a manner of days and my absurdly emotional ranting here will just be a dumb historical footnote. I even hope they include a command line option for those of you who prefer Broken Vanquish!

(For the record I don't consider Bayonetta PC a broken port, though it definitely had some bizarre issues at launch. [I'm still unconvinced the torture attacks are working as intended, but that's ultimately fairly minor.] I was referencing Nier Automata as Platinum's other broken port this year.)

I don't think Platinum is completely undeserving of blame when they release buggy software. Surely their contracts suggest they'll release fully functional software, right? But it's unclear how much they actually worked on this Vanquish port, or whether they even had the power to tell Sega the port is broken and they shouldn't release it in this state. Maybe they did warn Sega!

My problems with Platinum here come down more to their more zealous lovers on GAF. I suspect if the Crash Bandicoot remakes come to PC and all of the hitboxes are double their intended size, people would be howling for Activision's blood.

I appreciate the considerate, thorough response. This is one of those unfortunate technical issues that sits in a middle ground where it may or may not significantly affect a given player based on their settings/playstyle, hence the increased frustration by those who do feel impacted by it. I'm certainly in favor of holding publishers accountable for the products they release. Luckily, in this case, it looks like it won't be an ongoing consideration / severity argument for long.

I think "normal" and "Casual" SpeedRuns should be banned for Vanquish. HARD and GOD HARD only. Now that would be exciting to see.

People have been running that back in the PS3 and Xbox 360 Era. I've seen a GH Run at 2h26mins.

So far no one has done a good PC run. Which is sad.

Kssio_Aug

Okay, now that the patch is released I decided to play it for real. What a GREAT game!! Really great mechanics, specially when we start to understand how everything works! I can see now why so many people praises this game.

Played about half the game on Hard with broken damage, tried the patch and finished the game now. Tried God Hard but it's just not much fun. Feels too much like any other cover shooter until you've essentially memorized every encounter.

The mouse controls make a big difference with this game. I beat Challenge 1 in one try, which took me a long time on 360.

Played about half the game on Hard with broken damage, tried the patch and finished the game now. Tried God Hard but it's just not much fun. Feels too much like any other cover shooter until you've essentially memorized every encounter.

The mouse controls make a big difference with this game. I beat Challenge 1 in one try, which took me a long time on 360.

It's called GOD HARD for a reason. You have to be a God.

God Hard is basically for people who put so much time that Hard mode is easy for them or they just want to be pushed to the limit.

Vanquish is a short game. You can beat the game easily but to do so in the most brutally efficient manner is a whole different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opya6LGkn9E

Watch how this guy plays. The strategy he uses is completely different from what you would think.

Trojan X

Banned
Okay, now that the patch is released I decided to play it for real. What a GREAT game!! Really great mechanics, specially when we start to understand how everything works! I can see now why so many people praises this game.

Finally! Someone listened to me and others. Told you as we weren't saying it for the sake of it. Vanquish is an awesome badass game! Insanely badass that makes Gears cry the gameplay department. When it comes to gameplay, Vanquish is a different breed that is hard to top. Glad you are loving the game.

so i finished it last night on Hard, damage bug and all, outside of a couple rather frustrating bits it was a lot of fun.

now that there is a fix for the damage bug, im wondering how does (no damage bug) God Hard measure up to bugged (mortal?) Hard?

im not sure if i want to go straight into an even more challenging mode, or go with fixed regular hard and just really go to town on doing some really cool/fun stuff.

so i finished it last night on Hard, damage bug and all, outside of a couple rather frustrating bits it was a lot of fun.

now that there is a fix for the damage bug, im wondering how does (no damage bug) God Hard measure up to bugged (mortal?) Hard?

im not sure if i want to go straight into an even more challenging mode, or go with fixed regular hard and just really go to town on doing some really cool/fun stuff.

I heard GH is easier because FPS screws with recovery time. Either way if the devs patch the game, everything should be smooth sailing. I highly recommend the challenge maps when you think the game is too easy.

Vanquish originally had a Robo-dog. I think it's partly why MGR has one.

If you look at the concept art.

230px-Casshan.jpg

The Inspiration for Sam Gideon.

Kssio_Aug

Finally! Someone listened to me and others. Told you as we weren't saying it for the sake of it. Vanquish is an awesome badass game! Insanely badass that makes Gears cry the gameplay department. When it comes to gameplay, Vanquish is a different breed that is hard to top. Glad you are loving the game.

I don't like to compare Vanquish to Gears, cause they're very different games besides both being TPS. I mean, Gears is a more traditional cover based shooter, while Vanquish rewards movability. But yeah, whoever designed Vanquish gameplay deserves a prize, it's really well thought and in a market saturated by traditional shooters, this is really creative and sleek.

*sobs*

Vanquish runs like ass on 1080p on my Dell Inspiron 7559... It's a i5 6300 (2.3Ghz) with GTX 960m. I thought it could at least handle the game at normal, but even then it ran really slowly. Even the mouse didn't move as fast as I like on max sensitivity. I wonder what is slowing me down? I was able to get a very playable experience at 720p, but I wonder what my frame rate was? It felt smooth, but it wasn't quite 60fps, but too smooth for 30fps? It just didn't feel very fast, but it felt smooth at least.

Is there a way to get the fps displayed while in game? I want to test my performance on this laptop.

Anteater

rivatuner statistics server (comes with MSI afterburner) should do the job, and it allows you to cap your framerate if you don't like using vsync

Shifty1897

*sobs*

Vanquish runs like ass on 1080p on my Dell Inspiron 7559... It's a i5 6300 (2.3Ghz) with GTX 960m. I thought it could at least handle the game at normal, but even then it ran really slowly. Even the mouse didn't move as fast as I like on max sensitivity. I wonder what is slowing me down? I was able to get a very playable experience at 720p, but I wonder what my frame rate was? It felt smooth, but it wasn't quite 60fps, but too smooth for 30fps? It just didn't feel very fast, but it felt smooth at least.

Is there a way to get the fps displayed while in game? I want to test my performance on this laptop.

This should work.

Finished it last night, jumped right back into a Casual Auto run to try and get the no-deaths acheivement. Really pleased with the performance and quick patch to fix the framerate damage bug. Sales for the game haven't been as strong as I would have liked. Should I just start buying the game and gifting it to all my Steam friends?

Trojan X

Banned
Been playing it like crazy. Time for me to stop where I am and restart from scratch again from HARD more again. I love it.

Finally, I played the demo on Xbox 360 when it came out, I liked what I saw but knew there and then I wanted to play the game with mouse and keyboard for full arse kicking affect, so refused to play it. Its been a long 6(7?) years :')

Blizzard

Banned
Dang, that patch turnaround time. The framerate-varying invincibility frame damage, early cutscene end, and cutscene audio are all supposed to be fixed now.

David___

Banned
Framerate damage seems to be fixed but some oddities remain like model bugging out on elevators and moving on a conveyor belt

Seems like the patch has gone out of the beta. I guess I'm coming back tonight.

Textures-wise, it's certainly not. It just reeks off last gen with its muddy and brownish colors.

I haven't seen any reshade/sweetfx settings for Vanquish.

Is anyone speedrunning this on GH now that stuff has been fixed?

Mechazawa

All the other fixes are good, but the patch notes don't mention anything about the weird Nier-esque framerate fuck ups on the cutscenes. Probably the last major issue with the game.

Game is refusing to boot after the patch. Just gets stuck on a black screen that blinks with my desktop in the background every now and then. Anyone else had this issue?

I'm still unconvinced the torture attacks are working as intended

I noticed during one of Saur's recent Bayonetta longplay videos, he was bragging about what his record was for number of button presses during some of the torture attacks. He noted that he didn't seem able to approach the numbers he recalls.

Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post. At launch, I was wondering why the game felt so much harder than it did when I first played it years ago (and was much worse at games at the time). When I found out about the glitch, it felt like vindication.

To those saying it wasn't broken, consider that each difficulty had its leniency calibrated a certain way. You could run around for X amount of time without dying, and that meant a certain degree of sloppiness was permitted without stopping your progress. It's not fun to keep dying all the time when you're still trying to figure things out.

Trojan X

Banned

Excellent! Not only it looks like a cool flip kick, it appears like it will benefit the player by reducing frames by a plenty! Great to pull off when in the middle of a major crossfire from all angles and you need to get that grenade out. Funny, it doesn't look like a glitch.

I seriously cannot wait for the modding scene to apply their skills to improve the graphical look of the game. Of course, they should leave the mechanics alone but perhaps improve the textures and other elements would be fantastic to see.

I don't like to compare Vanquish to Gears, cause they're very different games besides both being TPS. I mean, Gears is a more traditional cover based shooter, while Vanquish rewards movability. But yeah, whoever designed Vanquish gameplay deserves a prize, it's really well thought and in a market saturated by traditional shooters, this is really creative and sleek.

Heh, yes they are both TPS. One has mechanics that differentiate itself further from its competition, and the other is a much higher production masterpiece from the cinematic perspective. However, in the end of the day, they are both TPS, they are both games that were made to entertain and provide a challenge so they can be compared against each other. If they can't be compared then we - or should I say everybody - should forget about Category/Genre Top 10 listings for they do not work.

Ok, so I think I may have found the "problem" with my setup? The minimum requirements says i3 2.9Ghz. Mine is 2.3Ghz that turbos to 3.0Ghz. Could that be the issue? Then again, it does turbo up to that speed. Plus, mine is an i5, not and i3.

This is one thing I could never figure out about CPU performance. My CPU is technically better and worse at the same time.

I love this game so much! I made my first gif ever tonight. I've been recording my gameplay as of late and caught this really cool moment.
giphy.gif

Mupod

probably unlikely, but has anyone heard of working SLI bits for this?

I tried some from previous Platinum games, but didn't have any results.

Not a big deal as a single 970 runs this fine, but I'd like to do 4k/60.

ezodagrom

Steamspy has it at ~70k

Dunno how accurate that is though.
Game's been out for over a week plus Steamspy was already counting owners numbers during the pre-order period, so it should be accurate enough.
Owners numbers have been going up a bit every day though.

Top Bottom