• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: New Hololens impressions "demo videos are all basically a lie"

Dalek

e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif

So fucking embarrassing.

Lazlo

So, the title of OP is not just inaccurate, but needlessly negative. As others have stated here, why don't we wait until we get a bit out of the prototype phase before people crap all over this?

Certain people on Neogaf seem to love to drive-by shitpost so I guess this sort of thing appeals to them. The technology is definitely still evolving, there's just a limit to current waveguide optics tech, and with any hardware specs will improve with more R&D. It's really great for what it is right now and I hope people will get over their negativity - they should be ecstatic that we're getting this cool tech!

GobFather

Certain people on Neogaf seem to love to drive-by shitpost so I guess this sort of thing appeals to them. The technology is definitely still evolving, there's just a limit to current waveguide optics tech, and with any hardware specs will improve with more R&D. It's really great for what it is right now and I hope people will get over their negativity - they should be ecstatic that we're getting this cool tech!

same thing was said during kinect reveal. I think some are just being cautious, can't blame them. No doubt the tech is cool.

Just like they lied with Kinect, I don't think anyone that knew MS and/or VR/AR would've believed anything else.

Someone should post those Kinect gigs from E3 conferences :p

They never lied they showed their proof of concept day one with a 6 month old prototype. Press all said it was so super early with limited FOV. It still got universal praise.

But people here are ignorant of this. I have no idea why. Maybe people skip over anything positive that is Microsoft related and eat up these clickbait articles, this website had a glowing review of the prototype at reveal.

NoPiece

Wait a second. So, I am no Microsoft apologist by any stretch of the imagination. But what The Verge article is describing is a more limited FOV for the current implementation, in an extremely early form, than being an entire lie. They have some positional based selection in the form of taps vs. entire gestures. And this is for press demos, not what they have working in the lab. How quickly did we forget the Wired article with hands on impressions in their lab: http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/

So, the title of OP is not just inaccurate, but needlessly negative. As others have stated here, why don't we wait until we get a bit out of the prototype phase before people crap all over this?

I think it is fair to call it a lie based on the video they released that implies a very wide FOV. In the video, what the presenter says is, "Now we also have this custom camera rig over here so that you can see these holograms up on these screens as if the camera is wearing the hololens."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AADEqLIALk

The truth is the camera greatly exaggerates the FOV. They didn't allow any footage of the actual Hololens in action, and didn't release any info on FOV. They carefully crafted a false impression, which is dumb because it overshadows some impressive technology.

Lazlo

I think it is fair to call it a lie based on the video they released that implies a very wide FOV. In the video, what the presenter says is, "Now we also have this custom camera rig over here so that you can see these holograms up on these screens as if the camera is wearing the hololens."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AADEqLIALk

They didn't allow any footage of the actual Hololens in action, and didn't release any info on FOV. They carefully crafted a false impression, which is dumb because it overshadows some impressive technology.

I think the trouble here is the difficult task of needing to show what the device is capable of without the FOV being the first thing you run into and can potentially be negatively affected by. Not having the FOV issue in the presentation allows them to show what's possible, and even if the FOV doesn't change in the final product it could in the future. It's less of a task than showing the product but starting with "Ok, so this small window is our current FOV, or field of vision, which because of hardware limitations is small" etc etc etc. Of course there will be many enthusiasts (probably a larger audience with hardware like this) who will call this out, but I don't think there is an active drive to deceive the public here.

NoPiece

They never lied they showed their proof of concept day one with a 6 month old prototype. Press all said it was so super early with limited FOV. It still got universal praise.

But people here are ignorant of this. I have no idea why. Maybe people skip over anything positive that is Microsoft related and eat up these clickbait articles, this website had a glowing review of the prototype at reveal.

Some of the January press reports talked about the field of view, but many didn't. That, combined with the "mock up" images microsoft released left the impression that the FOV would be large enough to provide an immersive experience.

Some of the January press reports talked about the field of view, but many didn't. That, combined with the "mock up" images microsoft released left the impression that the FOV would be large enough to provide an immersive experience.

yea but they didnt lie they showed of its current state and had everyone write about it.

Their onstage demo showed what it could do and the pictures actually show how it works. The items stay pinned to the places they are left. They never said that was the FOV because if you go by those pictures it extends your vision to 360 degreea. Just showing how it actually works

I am confused why people are losing their shit over the FOV of a first-gen, still-incomplete product.

Even if the shipping product's FOV remains limited, it will improve as the tech improves. It's no different than the evolution of Oculus Rift. And much like VR, the hard part was proving AR could work in a natural, believable way, and it still sounds like they're well on their way to that.

Angel_DvA

it's a new technology and a prototype, just let them some time to finish it but that kind of thing is the reason why I have trust issue with everything Microsoft related.

tumblr_n01erw1jGO1rby04wo1_500.gif

Did the verge article and video have different titles before? They seem fine to me.

Microsoft's HoloLens is new, improved, and still has big problems
HoloLens can deliver amazing illusions, but only on a small scale

Microsoft’s new and (sort of) improved HoloLens

True. The OP's title is wildly clickbaity, though.

JaggedSac

Listening to these 3 devs talk about their experience with it is very encouraging. They even said enthusiastically that it still felt immersive despite the limited FOV.

Every single impression has mentioned the limited FOV. MS demoed it the exact same way back in January. I don't understand why this is all of a sudden a hot button issue.

Fov in the Jan device was larger.

NoPiece

yea but they didnt lie they showed of its current state and had everyone write about it.

Their onstage demo showed what it could do and the pictures actually show how it works. The items stay pinned to the places they are left. They never said that was the FOV because if you go by those pictures it extends your vision to 360 degreea. Just showing how it actually works

How it looks and how it works are tightly coupled. They put that video out to the world, they said it was representative of wearing a Hololens, and it isn't. It provided a false representation of how it will look. Even the things they chose to demo, like stretching the video out to fill the wall are deceptive, because you would never do that because you would only be able to see a fraction of the video.

Killer

Banned
Coming from Apple fanboys, it isn't surprising. I don't to expect it to be perfect anyway. maybe ver 2 will be better.

Nzyme32

Did the verge article and video have different titles before? They seem fine to me.

Microsoft's HoloLens is new, improved, and still has big problems
HoloLens can deliver amazing illusions, but only on a small scale

Microsoft’s new and (sort of) improved HoloLens

No that's exactly what they have always been, just the OP deciding to editorialise it.

I think the verge's video does a great job of articulating the issue, but a key point is that your eyes do not work by being stationary when you are looking at things, so if the FOV is as low as they make it out to be, normally looking around a room will cut you off from what Hololens is meant to do. For it to work, you have to have small objects and stay fixated on them.

vin-buc

Oh boy, ringing in that nostalgia with the XBOX ONE reveal fails.

On topic - while kinda cool what real application can this be used with? The architecture software looks like "just because" as there are computer programs that can do it just as easily/effectively. Compared to VR which is almost total immersion this seems sort of like a novelty. Of course there are several factors (how much it gonna cost?) but I just don't see it.

I already play AR on my Vita, son. =P

hodgy100

What's too good to be true, though? The FOV is disappointingly limited, but the technology itself works. The limited FOV has been reported on and known since January, as well.

the FOV is a big problem. its why guys working on VR spent ages getting it right. filling your whole view with the graphical overlay plays a massive part in the holograms having actual presence in your environment.

lol...

Anyways

When is this slated for release? Is this an early issue? Would hope these things get fixed as they go further into development/refining. Can't imagine this is close to release, I kind of expected most of the concept videos were just that and this is something they were aiming for.

It's sup[posed to release during the launch window of Windows 10.

Somnia

I don't think they said that. They said it'll launch in the "Windows 10 time frame". So anywhere from this summer up until a few years down the line.

^^^ correct

I think it'll launch on a small scale for select business's (medical, construction, etc. on a small scale) late next year. I don't think we'll see a consumer version till 2017-2018.

Daviii

For those who criticise the verge, just posted in Anandtech:

"So my expectations were not met, and I can attribute that to the demos that were provided online and during the keynote. The actual experience was almost nothing like that, and what was shown on stage was amazing"

So yes, it was all a lie. Kudos to the verge for speaking the truth out loud.

Nzyme32

Thanks for showing us what you can do with Kinect, since you know that works and all.

The Verge article really isn't that bad, that headline though.

The quote is from the video, which discusses the issue and why it is a big issue. On top of that though, you are being forced to remain fixated on an object rather than using natural eye movements, which put the the visible area toward your periphery if you are not fixating on it, which in turn disrupts the functionality of it quite a bit

_Ryo_

Hmm. FOV is extremely limited and I don't understand the Minecraft angle. It's basically just Lego with HoloLens. Minecraft is about exploration, and mining just as much as it is building. I guess it would be really need to have some figures on your coffee table at least but truly I see this technology being put to better use in science and medical fields which really might not be that interesting to average consumers.

CoG

Why did they post all of the sci-fi videos and BS onstage demos? Didn't they realize the backlash it would cause? Just when you think MS was changing they manage to cock it up.

Nzyme32

Hmm. FOV is extremely limited and I don't understand the Minecraft angle. It's basically just Lego with HoloLens. Minecraft is about exploration, and mining just as much as it is building. I guess it would be really need to have some figures on your coffee table at least but truly I see this technology being put to better use in science and medical fields which really might not be that interesting to average consumers.

While the FOV is an issue, if it wasn't, I think Minecraft has a lot of interesting uses in AR, but that is also true for VR. I think the real reason it is important to Microsoft is more that it has an established audience, particular of the younger generation

That's actually worked since day-1 iirc.

Wasn't the issue that it didn't function as flawlessly or quickly as they portrayed it to?

Tobor

A bullshit Microsoft tech demo? You don't say. It's only been their M.O for decades.

The product they show is almost never the product they ship. Everyone should know this by now.

I can't believe how many people are writing Hololense off and are basically calling it Kinect despite the technology working as advertised. The only currently limiting factor is the Field of View, which will likely be dramatically increased for the consumer product. I mean, the device is likely several months (or more) away.

jem0208

For those who criticise the verge, just posted in Anandtech:

"So my expectations were not met, and I can attribute that to the demos that were provided online and during the keynote. The actual experience was almost nothing like that, and what was shown on stage was amazing"

So yes, it was all a lie. Kudos to the verge for speaking the truth out loud.

So basically 2 not so positive impressions among a sea of very positive impressions means everything was a lie.

Note: Again the article was only complaining about the FoV, and a comment about a bug. Basically issues which could well be solved. They actually cemented the general opinion that the holograms are actually very good and that interacting with them was also good.

Here's the article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9213/microsoft-hololens-handson

Sydle

Fov in the Jan device was larger.

Are you responding to the impressions of the 3 devs or the impressions from January? The dev impressions I linked to were from /build.

I suppose it doesn't matter. Both have very similar praise: it's amazing, but that FOV...

Top Bottom