• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Very old items that you still use today

T-0800

I've had the same wallet for over 10 years.
Well it's not going to wear out when you never open it.

Late Night Comedy GIF by American Masters on PBS

Anyone else still got this alarm clock?
IKHyrLq.png

It's from the year 199X.

It had pretty big numbers, so I could see what time it was in bed without putting on my glasses, which I couldn't do with the previous alarm clock. Kind of a moot point post-LASIK. There's been a broken piece of plastic or something in there for the last 15 years or so, so it rattles if I pick it up. And that Alarm 1 button now takes way too much pressure to activate. And it's a pain 'cause ya can set it by holding the thing you want to set, and either the >> go fast forward button or the < go one minute back button. What the fuck am I doing with my life? I'm just gonna start using my phone and say goodbye to this piece of shit.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Here's a couple that comes to mind.

As a kid, I would regularly visit my best friend who lived next door. One of my favorite memories was helping him and his awesome family make fresh pasta and lasagna sheets for Sunday lunch. They moved back to Italy during my teenage years, and their parting gift to my brokenhearted self was their Imperia pasta machine. My wife and I still use it to this day, and every time I make pasta, I think of my childhood and my time with them.

Lastly, I occasionally fire up my original Super Nintendo. Now, decades later, I share this childhood console with my little boy, who just can't get enough of Yoshi's Island.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Gold Member
I have a ladder my dad gave me that has to be from the 40s. It has decades and layers of paint, hinges that barely work and snap my finger every time I even look at it. Might even have a layer or two of asbestos on it, but I love it for some reason and plan on handing it down to one of my kids as an heirloom ladder.

Audiophile

I know Feb 2018 isn't old, but in the phone world it's like 15yrs ago...

I still use my Galaxy S9 (standard model). 5.8" is still the perfect screen size for every day one hand use. Need a new battery though..

The leather flip / wallet case is almost as old too and has basically melted from going in and out of my jean pocket thousands upon thousands of times.

Still use a backpack from the mid 2000s. Other than that there's a few blankets and cushions about that are older than me. Oldest things I own are 1950s Ray Charles LPs, though they were ripped losslessly into my library and reside mostly in storage.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Loads of things, I've got a few guitars that are 20+ years old, I wore a 20+ year old tshirt this week that I got when I was a teenager.

It kinda surprises me that people would regard things that are 10 years old as being significantly old, tbh. My electric toothbrush is about 10 years old (new heads though, obvs) looks basically the same as when I got it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
My kids sleep with a stuffed animal i got when I was 2/3/4yo? So its roughly 34-36 years old. Its a gund bear.
Same here, my stuffed bear is 45 years old and survived all those years only to start getting defaced with my kids :p

I have some "vintage" watches and jewelry. Some really old guns as well.

And now that I think about it, some OG vinyl and the SE star wars VHS.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Lastly, I occasionally fire up my original Super Nintendo. Now, decades later, I share this childhood console with my little boy, who just can't get enough of Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi's Island was my jam as a kid. Utterly obsessed. I would love to go back to experiencing it for the first time, at that age. I hardly put another game in my SNES until SMRPG.

Anyway, my PC case is still the same one from 2004ish, even if all the components are different. The Altec Lansing speakers from the same period are still in service. My main living room TV is from the PS3 era, I'm still waiting for it to die.

I have a LOT of stuff way older than 10 years, but not necessarily being "used". IE 1988 TMNT action figures, Grandma's fine china, still-extant LEGO boxes and instructions, tools I almost never need to use anymore. I could go on, but it's all stuff that mostly just sits there. I have a Sony alarm clock similar to OP but it only gets used when I want something to count minutes from 12:00 after plugging it in like a timer lol. I never even set the time on it.

Phobos Base

Gold Member
Excluding games consoles, I still have a 2008 LG TV in the spare room, mainly because it has 2 scarts and a component for said consoles. When I moved to my first house my parents gave me the cutlery set they were given for their first house, so must be getting on for 50 years old now but still spotless. Also have a lot of my childhood stuff in the loft, stored in the 2 boxes our Gateway Pentium PC was delivered in some point in the mid-late 90's.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I should specify that you have to post stuff that you use KINDA regularly, just family relics is not enough of a requisite.

They must be practical objects that you still use today, maybe not every day but like at least a couple of times per year and you haven't bought a substitute item to do the same job.

Last edited:

Gp1

I inherited a bunch of Victorinox knifes that may have 40+ years (young for that kind of thing.

A Volkswagen FOX as a backup car, with almost 20 years old. The money that ill get selling, doesn't even worth the headache of selling. It became my mechanics workbench experiment when I'm bored.

I use to have a pair of these that were used in every PC that i have for the last 30 years
images
IBM in the 80's/90's :messenger_heart:

My current house is almost 40yo with a guest house full of things of my mother and grand father. If poke there, I'll certainly find a bunch of things like that.

Last edited:

Fbh

My pepper mill is probably 70+ years old.

My mom got it as a wedding gift 40 years ago...and back then it was already an antique.

It's probably really rusted inside...but I'm still alive and it works well

MaestroMike

Gold Member
macbook is like 9 years old and its sound doesn't work well and i think i have to get its battery checked out i still use it everyday should've upgraded a few years ago at least but i don't really have any desire i just use computers for web browsing

Rockondevil

Most of my clothes I use daily are 20+ years old.
My computer was 12 years old, it died couple of months ago.
My spare TV that my kid uses is 15 years old.
My microwave is 15 or so years old.
Most of my hand tools are getting close to 20 years old.
My wife is mid 30’s and I still get to use that sometimes.

Last edited:

Drake

I inherited a bunch of Victorinox knifes that may have 40+ years (young for that kind of thing.

A Volkswagen FOX as a backup car, with almost 20 years old. The money that ill get selling, doesn't even worth the headache of selling. It became my mechanics workbench experiment when I'm bored.

I use to have a pair of these that were used in every PC that i have for the last 30 years
images
IBM in the 80's/90's :messenger_heart:

My current house is almost 40yo with a guest house full of things of my mother and grand father. If poke there, I'll certainly find a bunch of things like that.
Ha! I have something similar. I'm still using the speakers that came with my Sony Vaio desktop from the year 2000. The speakers still sound great although I probably listen to headphones 90% of the time I'm on my PC.

I found a pic of the speakers on Reddit. These bad boys are awesome.

Reactions: Gp1

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My wardrobe, nah seriously I have some clothes that are old but still in good condition.
Probably because I've lived in work clothes for over a decade.
And has anyone noticed newer clothes are smaller
I have to get nearly 2 sizes up but my old smaller sizes fit perfectly, which is odd because clothes suppose to shrink
Definitely a lack of crotch area 🤔
And calves are way too tight.
I had a watch for 16 year's but I broke the crown at work 🤬

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Anyone else still got this alarm clock?
IKHyrLq.png

It's from the year 199X.

It had pretty big numbers, so I could see what time it was in bed without putting on my glasses, which I couldn't do with the previous alarm clock. Kind of a moot point post-LASIK. There's been a broken piece of plastic or something in there for the last 15 years or so, so it rattles if I pick it up. And that Alarm 1 button now takes way too much pressure to activate. And it's a pain 'cause ya can set it by holding the thing you want to set, and either the >> go fast forward button or the < go one minute back button. What the fuck am I doing with my life? I'm just gonna start using my phone and say goodbye to this piece of shit.
I’ve still got one in the cupboard but upgraded to one of these a few years back, still a nice giant clock to keep by the bed.
images

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Here's a couple that comes to mind.

As a kid, I would regularly visit my best friend who lived next door. One of my favorite memories was helping him and his awesome family make fresh pasta and lasagna sheets for Sunday lunch. They moved back to Italy during my teenage years, and their parting gift to my brokenhearted self was their Imperia pasta machine. My wife and I still use it to this day, and every time I make pasta, I think of my childhood and my time with them.

I 100%'ed that game.. it was tough, but my sisters being my audience kept me going. They played it, too, but they liked to watch me whenever I wanted to sit down for long periods of time. I miss those days... innocence and all that lovely stuff.

March Climber

Gold Member
m23xm2x02bj91.gif

Still have my PSP GO and play it on trips. I miss official handhelds that could actually fit in smaller pockets. Real portability.

Everyone is trying to out-size each other now and pretend that they are just as portable. Even phones are suffering from this issue.

Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom