• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still Wakes the Deep | Review Thread

tommib

Gold Member
I finished it yesterday, about 5 hours. Perfect balance of time for this type of games and genre. I loved it. One of the most credible performances in a horror game ny the actors.
Clearly reminiscence of The Thing changing the research station in the artic for a Oil plant.
Graphically in general it is very good.
I wonder if it will be consider for best graphics of the year. It’s not near HB2, sure, but still that quality mode on PS5 looks tremendous. Some of the best graphics I’ve seen recently. Can’t even imagine this on a beast PC rig.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This game is another great example of why you should ignore review scores. Not that 74 is a bad score, but lots of people see that as "mid". Everyone i talked to or watched loved the game

I would think if it was longer and added more "gameplay" like stuff, that it could have gotten a higher score. Like in the low 80s.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nah. These type of games doesnt need to be longer. 4-5 hours is a perfect lenght. Gameplay is fine for what it is

True, but that's why the final score will be in the 70s. I 100% loved their last game "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture", but it got a 78 on Metacritic. I'd give that game an 8.5, but I understand why their games don't score in the 80s though.

The limited scope and lack of that extra "gameplay" like stuff will keep their games scoring in the 70s. Which isn't terrible by the way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bit of a photo-dump.

Enjoying my time with the game so far. The voice acting is fantastic. Everyone on the rig talks to each other incredibly naturally, it feels like they were all in the recording booth at the same time.

vG9rwCF.jpeg

rbQNweb.jpeg

CcJ5ziv.jpeg

bNZRfAd.png

^ No idea why he has baby hands, but it is what it is.

F7jDZul.jpeg

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I wonder if it will be consider for best graphics of the year. It’s not near HB2, sure, but still that quality mode on PS5 looks tremendous. Some of the best graphics I’ve seen recently. Can’t even imagine this on a beast PC rig.

lol what. It looks alright. Im playing on SX in performance mode and a lot of effects are still 30 which look real stupid and ugly.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Unless the PS5 version looks notably better, the SX Quality Mode just looks alright to me. IQ is kinda muddy and character models are early to mid PS4 gen at best. Some nice graphical effects but nothing here that I would put in a top 3 graphics of the year, personally.

adamsapple

And done. Neat little game. Needed to do 2 full runs through the game, as there are achievements for playing through the game start to finish with the Scottish Gaelic langauge *and* there's an achievement for beating the entire game without sprinting more than 10 mins, which I paired together for the second run.

MGZOh4U.jpeg

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Nice, I enjoyed the game. Thankfully ended just about when I was getting tired from going from one location to another. I played on easy mode so missed a lot of the creatures stalking you. Nice voice acting and atmosphere, but story was nothing special and didn't really like the ending much. Overall still very good option for horror fans. Not many horror games coming out nowadays.

I'll get this on deep sale. I mostly can't stand walking sims and on-rails haunted house horror "games" but the setting and aesthetics makes me wanna try this anyway. And I just got rid of Game Pass...damn.

Connxtion

Gold Member
Completed it a few hours ago, what a game!

Hats off the the devs and as a fellow scot it’s a breath of fresh air to hear my lingo in a game 😂

Horror games never scare me or even bother me, but twice in the game it gave me the fight or flight feeling 🙈😂 can’t say any game has ever gave me that feeling before.

The audio is something else, screeches, weather sounds & the deafening roars of the rig moving etc… 👌

Though I did get some scratchy/crackling audio at certain places, moving at one point on a ledge and you need to jump, kept jumping off the ledge 😂. Don’t move quickly (L3) and it works as intended & a thrown object got stuck midair 🤷‍♂️ but other than those there were no other issues.

Last edited:

Jesb

Does anyone know why this game won’t start for me on GFN? Get to the menu and it just sits there. No buttons are responsive and I need to quit the game.

Jesb

Finally started this and it’s such a great setting. Its sound is probably its strongest point. It’s silly that I couldn’t start this without plugging a mouse in to get it started so that I can go back to controller. Perfect type of game for gamepass.

Bojji

Gold Member
It’s like the opening for half-life but extended to a full narrative experience with high quality acting and graphics. It’s excellent. Lots of half-life vibes and a true horror game. We don’t get many of those.

Half Life 2?

I fucked up 😅 I meant Hellblade 2, no idea why I didn't use "HB2". But Half Life 2 is something else, I completed it and EP1, 2 in 2007. Amazing games, so sad that we will never see continuation (as long as ip is in valve hands).

Narrative games like SWtD are among my favorites. They also usually get scores around 7/10, industry is discriminating against them for some reason.

tommib

Gold Member
I fucked up 😅 I meant Hellblade 2, no idea why I didn't use "HB2". But Half Life 2 is something else, I completed it and EP1, 2 in 2007. Amazing games, so sad that we will never see continuation (as long as ip is in valve hands).

Narrative games like SWtD are among my favorites. They also usually get scores around 7/10, industry is discriminating against them for some reason.
This is nothing like Hellblade 2.

Negotiator101

Gold Member

I was thinking what year is this? 🤣 You know what I haven't long finished HB2 and I really enjoyed it, it's a solid 7/10 if you like narratively driven games.

Still Wakes the Deep though is a brilliant game IMO and a phenomenal horror experience with a surprisingly human back story that connects you to the protagonist. Both games share something in common and that's a headset is a must, unless you have some amazing speaker setup going on. Anyway hope you enjoy both.

Bojji

Gold Member
This is nothing like Hellblade 2.

Both are story driven and around the same length. Gameplay is completely different but there are some similarities. I love games like that, Amnesia, Soma, WRoEF etc.

I was thinking what year is this? 🤣 You know what I haven't long finished HB2 and I really enjoyed it, it's a solid 7/10 if you like narratively driven games.

Still Wakes the Deep though is a brilliant game IMO and a phenomenal horror experience with a surprisingly human back story that connects you to the protagonist. Both games share something in common and that's a headset is a must, unless you have some amazing speaker setup going on. Anyway hope you enjoy both.

It's also very solid when it comes to graphics, lumen is doing magic here. I played for like 10 minutes after downloading it, too bad GP version is gimped compared to Steam so far (no DLSS).

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
200w.gif

WRoEF is goated in my household, so you just set the bar for this game much higher than it appears to be.

WRoEF is one of my favorite games of all time, and Still Wakes the Deep isn't at that level, but I'd put it in a similar tier of best games that represent the walking simulator genre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom