• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Wouldn't be surprising if it were on a 384 bit bus since it's going to be based on AMD's current crop of cards. Costs have me thinking 192, but I'm probably wrong.

SSM25

Would the PC current card's crazy bandwidth be needed for a console targeting 1080p?

It would certainly be welcomed but I don't see the next consoles having something like 192 GB/s to whatever ram RAM they have

Elios83

384 bit bus would imply pretty awesome external memory bandwidth. Which would be pretty amazing in combination with eDRAM really.

I wouldn't call 100GB/s bandwidth an awesome bandwidth (with the fastest DDR3 available) considering that Xbox 360 and PS3 have a 20+GB/s bandwidth for the main memory.
Of course embedded memory will help but that won't be available in significant amounts (only 128MB-256MB are feasible in the best case).
Personally I'd prefer a dedicated pool of GDDR5 memory just for the graphics.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No it doesn't. :p

It implies high bandwidth.

This doesn't imply anything.

Buss speed is important but this alone don't make GPU fly. GTX680 has 256bit buss and it is 2x faster (in Tflops) than 580 with 384 bit buss

correct answer above GTX580 have 384 bit buss
Oh the memory bus.

Okay, my bad, I thought they were doing the dumb thing people used to do of adding core together for marketing.

androvsky

Did the problem with unified memory having half the bandwidth effectively due to contention between the CPU and GPU ever get resolved?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Translated chinese comments from an earlier thread [made in November, kudos to N2O from B3D for translating it], and quick recap of the new thread

old chinese thread
-X720 will use HD8XXX
-GPU has a yield problem
-Console will only have one bigass APU
-Console will use 285W of power, most likely thats a number for power supply/ac adapter [it will surely be capped at 60-70% to provide better thermals and reliability, so 170-180W is most likely we will ever see from it].
-Both X720 and PS4 will be powerful

new chinese thread
-confirmation of 8850/8870 architecture in X720

I know this is ps3 thread, but this X720 hw news will most likely play a big role in PS4 hw. Dont forget, nothing is confirmed yet. These are unconfirmed rumors... for now. :D
While I'm not the biggest on anonymous Chinese rumors, I was thinking about the bolded a bit.

Let's take Kotaku's recent story:

Kotaku said:
If you talk to people about the next-gen games at, oh, I don't know, a major gaming trade show or a major gaming awards show, the persistent impression given is that these new systems will be powerful. The old comparison I heard—and saw backed up by a solid report on IGN—was that the new Xbox would be eight times more powerful than the 360. That's old reporting, from earlier in the year. We've also heard that Durango is roughly as graphically capable as the second-most powerful PC on the market today, which, yes, is quite the indirect statement. The chatter we hear is that Durango and Orbis are close in power to each other or at least both in the same league past the current gen.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5968211/reality-c...-well-have-a-ps4-and-xbox-720-a-year-from-now

Now let's consider what the 8850 is rumored to be:

Maximum PC said:
AMD's Radeon HD 8850 is based on Oland Pro and has the same number of transistors and memory bandwidth as the 8870, but slower clockspeeds (925MHz base and 975MHz boost). It will sell for $199 (MSRP). It will be comparable to Nvidia's GeForce GTX 670 part.
Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/possible_radeon_hd_8870_and_8850_specs_leaked_web

Combining those two, I could see how someone could make that general statement if they card is really based on the 8850. I'm not sure about power consumption, but given the rumored consumer price, that doesn't seem like a crazy out of whack unreasonable part to choose as a base.

I apologize if this has already been debated. I haven't read the whole thread admittedly.

Vol5

Combining those two, I could see how someone could make that general statement if they card is really based on the 8850. I'm not sure about power consumption, but given the rumored consumer price, that doesn't seem like a crazy out of whack unreasonable part to choose as a base.

I apologize if this has already been debated. I haven't read the whole thread admittedly.

The 8850 TDP is believed to be 130W give or take and can run at just under 3Tflops, but it's not in the wild yet, so this talk about yield issues are more than likely correct to some degree.

Ashes

Banned
130w with a lot of stuff that won't make it to a console too.

Edit: wait, 8850?, I thought those [8850] leaked specs were very dubious to say the least. Basically pie in the sky stuff.

That is pretty much bullshit especially GT5 part. PD is like 100-140 people. they sold about 20 mln coppies of their games this gen ( 5,5mln GT5:p, 9 mln GT5, 4mln+ GT PSP)

? I'm not really sure what part of my post you are taking umbridge to. I acknowledged that GT5 was a big seller.

How do you know this though? We would have to have budgets and sales figures to determine what you're claiming.

I am going solely off sales figures as a source of data. Nearly all of these games were made in AAA style development (LBP might be an exception), so you know the costs will be large, moreso for games that take a long time. So there are no exact figures but I never gave a figure for Sony software profits, only that you can infer that they probably aren't all that great.

This is kind of off-topic though so if anyone wants to continue this line of discussion it should probably be done somewhere else.

Vol5

130w with a lot of stuff that won't make it to a console too.

Edit: wait, 8850?, I thought those [8850] leaked specs were very dubious to say the least. Basically pie in the sky stuff.

Well exactly. Until we see a consumer release, it's all a load of marketing and hype.

Razgreez

Well exactly. Until we see a consumer release, it's all a load of marketing and hype.

Suppose the closest we get to an indication of the performance increase from 7850/70 to 8850/70 are those tahiti 7870's which produce 7950 level performance but have some alarming power efficiency issues at the moment

RaijinFY

That's the thing. Why go with 384 bit if you have eDRAM for frame buffer access?

Indeed. It doesnt make much sense to have a huge amount of bandwidth allowed by the 384bit bus memory and on the top of that some eDram... Either you have a 384bit bus memory and no need for edram or a much weaker bus memory and some edram to compensate low bandwidth.

aegies

Fill rate and memory bandwidth was a huge limiting factor for current gen consoles, and EDRAM is a stopgap for that issue. If durango or orbis has 4-8 GB of RAM, a chunk of EDRAM might not be enough to compensate for the bus demands of the next generation consoles.

ElfArmy177

Hmm this makes me to think...

What are chances of consoles being cooled by liquid rather than fan radiator combo ?

Holy crap, I was literally just about to ask this exact same question. In reality, why is it not possible? CPU water-cooling adapters are cheap now, and they work very well. I see people saying "0%" but it still seems like its a possiblility.... Could anyone explain?

I understand cost of them being higher.. but if mass produced, wouldnt the cost be affordable? Also, what complications would arise? Most of the ones Ive used or seen are built rather solid, and make the system much less bulky - atleast at a CPU standpoint.

Perkel

Banned
Water cooling won't happen due to cost and the issues it can introduce

What issues ? Water cooling is less prone to issues than fans. Sure it is harder to assembly but it would give vastly lower temperatures (means no RROD or YLOD) and hardware could have better Mhz which is important for new hardware also complete noise reduction from fans (because there are no fans)

For mass scale producing factory it would be dirt cheap. And if factory can produce cars i don't see problem with using it to assembly water cooled consoles.

Or is it that most of people think that Liquid cooling is something superbly hard to do and costly ? Things changed a lot since 2000. Ypu can buy water cooling for cheap and it is easy to install.

iceatcs

Eh. I though you still need the fan for watercooling.
And of course you can ease to install because nowadays you can get ready-made kit. Old time you got to built with bits. So no matter which's way but you have to assemble it from stratch because it is how it made first place. Lol

There is no such of thing watercooling can be made without assemble in the factory.

DieH@rd

Banned
Water cooling systems can be premade, already filed with liquid and even substances that have negative pressure to air [liquids don't leak out, air leaks in!].

However, I don't expect to find water-cooled systems in nextgen consoles. They will stick to vapor chambers.

Perkel

Banned
Eh. I though you still need the fan for watercooling.
And of course you can ease to install because nowadays you can get ready-made kit. Old time you got to built with bits. So no matter which's way but you have to assemble it from stratch because it is how it made. Lol

mostly yes but because of nature of liquid cooling it don't need to be big and noisy. If they will go with lower MHz simple radiator will do.

iceatcs

Water cooling systems can be premade, already filed with liquid and even substances that have negative pressure to air [liquids don't leak out, air leaks in!].

However, I don't expect to find water-cooled systems in nextgen consoles. They will stick to vapor chambers.
You need factory to assemble for special customise water cooling for consule. It can't be grow itself. Is it not plant or is it?

mostly yes but because of nature of liquid cooling it don't need to be big and noisy. If they will go with lower MHz simple radiator will do.
Ok sound. MS got no execuse for not using it on next box.

DieH@rd

Banned
You need factory to assemble for special customise water cooling for consule. It can't be grow itself. Is it not plant or is it?

Of course it has to be manufactured and assembled... but it could be done relativley cheaply.

I still say it wont happen.

Perkel

Banned

Most of what we have on market are for normal open PCs which can be very different. Consoles being closed single type platform could really alter how cooling in such system works and it would be more effective.

I also think it won't happen btw not because of cost and problems but because no one thought about it in proper way.

dr_rus

You can never have enough bandwidth. =p
While this is true there is also a matter of cost. eDRAM is a way to save bandwidth and go with narrower external bus. Having both eDRAM and an expensive wider memory bus is highly unlikely for a system built to be as cost effective as possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fill rate and memory bandwidth was a huge limiting factor for current gen consoles, and EDRAM is a stopgap for that issue. If durango or orbis has 4-8 GB of RAM, a chunk of EDRAM might not be enough to compensate for the bus demands of the next generation consoles.

To fully understand this, we'd need to know the approximate percentages of bandwidth usage that modern engines use. Eg if they are heavily doing work that could sit in edram then you wouldn't need such a fast bus to external ram.

While this is true there is also a matter of cost. eDRAM is a way to save bandwidth and go with narrower external bus. Having both eDRAM and an expensive wider memory bus is highly unlikely for a system built to be as cost effective as possible.
If you have a wide IO memory buss with traditional Console clock speeds for memory then you have 200 - 1Tbytes/sec bandwidth and don't need eDRAM.

WideIO memory is a game changer and we may see an elimination of L3 as well as faster/wider GPU registers and less likely Jaguar L2 to main memory. Remember HSA and Zero copy tries to move code and data in memory as little as possible and when memory has to be moved, do it as energy efficiently as possible which would also be via a wider buss or registers.

It is the opinion of multiple professionals that WideIO memory is coming to the PS4 with stacked memory on transposer connected to CPU/GPU and possibly (my opinion) a second GPU on the same transposer.

The transposer/MCM will be huge and result in a $20 cost (guess). These huge transposers may have already been manufactured with Charlie's (SemiAccurate) Oban rumor Dec 2011. Oban can be a large blank Japanese gold coin with bumps on it. 3D assembly eliminates the tranposer needed in 2.5D resulting in a savings and is a 2014 or later technology for hotter chips like in a game console.

The huge transposer/MCM including 2-4 gig of stacked wide IO memory (512 bit speculated) will result in a simpler PS4 motherboard and savings there.

itsgreen

Now let's consider what the 8850 is rumored to be:

Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/possible_radeon_hd_8870_and_8850_specs_leaked_web

Yeah, but I think they meant the HD 7970 instead of 670... also the source is ridiculous. That table is not realistic at all... (this thought is commonly shared ;))

Nachtmaer

Same with PS3 too. It isn't water but nitrogen I believe.

I think you mean heatpipes right? It's not exactly the same thing as a water loop, but the principal is pretty similar.

I know closed loops are becoming more reliable and cheaper nowadays, but I don't think it's worth the risk factor. I know there is no difference between an RROD and a radiator or tube that starts leaking since in both cases you end up with a dead machine.

A well designed cooling system with heatpipes and heatsinks should be more than enough.

Marco1

If nextbox and PS4 are very similar then it will be PS4 and maybe wiiu only for me next gen.
I just prefer Sony exclusives so much more and the only reason I have xbox360 is for better multi plats and halo. Halo 4 is a disaster in my eyes and I've no interest in finishing the story anymore and if the new consoles are close then multi plats shouldn't be an issue anymore. Although I expect the usual money bating exclusive DLC but I've learned a valuable lesson this gen, that everything arrives eventually.

Spinluck

Btw, are those rumors of used games being banned on PS4 and NBox debunked? I'm tired of arguing/convincing my friend that that shit ain't happenin.

Top Bottom