• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

I think PS4 will use a version of the Playstation OS. Thus I think it might have Vita SOC for that.

http://new.livestream.com/TheVerge/events/1779987/videos/8946270

The fact he went out and specifically pointed out the Playstation OS makes me think that they'll have a smaller SOC to handle OS duties. What better thing to use than the Vita SOC. This will also allow them to have better economies of scale with the Vita and PS orbis.

What do you guys think?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rösti;46363290 said:
About 4K (and 8K), the ITU standard is readily available for download: http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.2020-0-201208-I!!PDF-E.pdf

The basics, just in case anyone is actually wondering:

I'll take 8k 4:4:4 at 120Hz, thanks

They don't break any of that down though - usually there would be lower frame rates for higher resolutions based on transmission limitations. They just list all resolutions, all colour depths and all framerates. And nothing about 3D. Not hugely useful - surely HDMI 2.0 would be a specific subset of that?

iceatcs

I think PS4 will use a version of the Playstation OS. Thus I think it might have Vita SOC for that.

The fact he went out and specifically pointed out the Playstation OS makes me think that they'll have a smaller SOC to handle OS duties. What better thing to use than the Vita SOC. This will also allow them to have better economies of scale with the Vita and PS orbis.

What do you guys think?

I have suspect it might have something like mini computer reserve (SOC?) for OS. Especially with the old MS next box rumour about one of a secondary cpu will be ARM CPU which they dump this idea. That ARM could be plan for OS, but it may be for tablet app emulator from Window 8 RT.
That rumour is dead now. The latest seem MS will plan OS reserve on some of CPU's cores.

I would like to see to have OS SOC on console to allow keep way game memory footprint and more smooth multi-task between game running if there is great bridge speed.

I have suspect it might have something like mini computer reserve (SOC?) for OS. Especially with the old MS next box rumour about one of a secondary cpu will be ARM CPU which they dump this idea. That ARM could be plan for OS, but it may be for tablet app emulator from Window 8 RT.
That rumour is dead now. The latest seem MS will plan OS reserve on some of CPU's cores.

I would like to see to have OS SOC on console to allow keep way game memory footprint and more smooth multi-task between game running if there is great bridge speed.

I think that will happen. That also would explain why they haven't spent too much time in the OS as they would be using the Vita OS and adapting it for PS4.

I think that will happen. That also would explain why they haven't spent too much time in the OS as they would be using the Vita OS and adapting it for PS4.

I'm assuming you are talking about the guts of the Vita OS and the UI? The UI makes absolutely no sense to port over to the PS4.

Regarding the UI, I really hope Sony ditches the XMB. I want something a little more inviting.

I'm assuming you are talking about the guts of the Vita OS and the UI? The UI makes absolutely no sense to port over to the PS4.

Regarding the UI, I really hope Sony ditches the XMB. I want something a little more inviting.

I'm talking about the Vita SOC and the functionality of the Vita OS. I also think there's no longer a Vita OS it's Playstation OS according to Kaz. Reading between the lines this is a likely scenario.

The VITA SOC to handle OS/UI tasks and the APU for gaming tasks.

DieH@rd

Banned

What do you guys think?

Placing Vita SoC on PS4? Interesting idea.

Perkel

Banned
Actually early presentation before even E3 would actially benefit both MS and Sony if they plan to release consoles this year. They could drive up their marketing campain much earlier to show people that new consoles are coming.

July to november is a small amount of time to do global scale marketing campain on all levels. This would give us reason why there are so many early leaks.

February ? March ?

B.O.O.M

What sony needs is an integrated avatar system. It gives the OS a unique visual identity imho

Something like LBP characters.

Gamerwillz

Neo Member
1080p at 60fps is impressive, but Sony got to release some good exclusives to convince me to purchase the console.

Because all multiplatform games are better on PC.

vercity82

All the talk about the OS they have been talking about buying content at the click of a button jumping from game to store and back into game play aint they so it seems it will be taking vita route from snippets ive herd im hoping for a early reveal so that they can see how bad a error nintendo done in this leaving it only like a short time from pre orders to sale date.

Query: how smoothly does vita transition among gaming, multimedia functionalities and social applications?
it's actually really great. I love how fast you can just put a game to sleep, pop open another app, put that one to sleep, do something else. Close apps, open ones. Only delays are when you open new apps (for the first time, reopening is very smooth) but it's nothing notable.

PS4 just needs that kind of functionality as well as to expand on the wole Live tile idea which is basically like the miiverse. Really good stuff in there.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
it's actually really great. I love how fast you can just put a game to sleep, pop open another app, put that one to sleep, do something else. Close apps, open ones. Only delays are when you open new apps but it's nothing notable.

PS4 just needs that kind of functionality as well as to expand on the wole Live tile idea which is basically like the miiverse. Really good stuff in there.

even the store has a smooth transition from dash board to store to dash board to game. its very silky.

i-Lo

it's actually really great. I love how fast you can just put a game to sleep, pop open another app, put that one to sleep, do something else. Close apps, open ones. Only delays are when you open new apps but it's nothing notable.

very smooth imo.

Very smoothly. It's basically like a smartphone in that regard.

While I would assume that it has universal in-game custom soundtrack option like the 360, does it feature anything amounting to cross game chat?

To me it looks like vita attains all this with 256MB lpddr3 ram dedicated to OS. I'm really beginning to wonder if ps4 legitimately requires 1GB of GDDR5 ram given what has already been achieved on vita...

What say you fellas?

Mario007

While I would assume that it has universal in-game custom soundtrack option like the 360, does it feature anything amounting to cross game chat?

To me it looks like vita attains all this with 256MB lpddr3 ram dedicated to OS. I'm really beginning to wonder if ps4 legitimately requires 1GB of GDDR5 ram given what has already been achieved on vita...

What say you fellas?

Yeah it has a feature called Party Chat which is cross game chat. Vita also has 4GB of flash memory for OS and updates.

Respawn

Banned

What say you fellas?

I already said this and I'm sticking to it. There will be ram reserved for os and this will be separate from the main GDDR5 ram. Vita is a great example of this.

i-Lo

Yeah it has a feature called Party Chat which is cross game chat. Vita also has 4GB of flash memory for OS and updates.

Wasn't there a rumour that ps4 will also feature flash memory for the os and its updates?

I already said this and I'm sticking to it. There will be ram reserved for os and this will be separate from the main GDDR5 ram. Vita is a great example of this.

Explain please, about vita being a great example.

Mario007

Wasn't there that ps4 will also feature flash memory for the os and its updates?
Yup there was, 16GB to be precise. We heard nothing about it since, but we didn't hear about Vit'as 4GB until like a month or so after the western release as well when someone tore it open and really looked around.

Iacobellis

Let's assume for a moment all the last hw rumors were true - which console would have the higher bom?

Great hardware is nothing without great software. Microsoft has the potential to make a huge splash with new IPs, but at this point, the ball is in Sony's court.

EDIT: Wait, do you mean the bill of materials?

Let's assume for a moment all the last hw rumors were true - which console would have the higher bom?

Wouldn't that all depend on what other stuff is being bundled with the consoles though? But if you're only talking about the console hardware itself, I'd guess Durango since the CPU is really custom, right?

Edit: I retract my statement, I don't have enough conputer knowledge to make a valid claim.

B.O.O.M

MM R&D project, believe. New home & avatars will come out from that.

I wish.

I'd be all over that. IMO it's what they should have done with Home instead of the dead-eyed automons they delivered.

Yeah and like mentioned above, I'm also hoping the MM R&D project is about this. I love XMB but it lacks...personality.

I wouldn't mind using Hot Shots characters.

Yep that's a good alternative too

androvsky

I recall reading that the Vita has separate video ram and system ram. I don't remember anything about a third ram type for the OS.

The only way the OS isn't going into the GDDR5 ram is if it's for the GPU only, and there's another 4 GB of system ram no one's talking about.

Top Bottom