• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Astrobot trailer receive 99% likes, while Concord trailer only gets 18%

Draugoth

Gold Member
The difference is Concord looks polished AF. Concord can be "woke" as all hell, but if the gameplay loop is amazing, it will do well as a gaas. Playstation seems confident in it. Reportedly there will be previews after SGF, which is another good sign

Do you know the other game that is also polished as fuck that's also a live service?

suicide-squad-1702002302912.jpg

Astrobot is a known value, of course it's going to get more likes.

Concord as a new IP has a hell of an uphill fight ahead but if the positive comparisons to Destiny 2 gameplay hit it might have a chance to do well.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The difference is Concord looks polished AF. Concord can be "woke" as all hell, but if the gameplay loop is amazing, it will do well as a gaas. Playstation seems confident in it. Reportedly there will be previews after SGF, which is another good sign
There's lots of differences really. Redfall is playable entirely in single player and doesn't really have any GAAS or PvP elements. The character designs and graphics are definitely far worse in Redfall. I still like the setting though and it has some moments of good Arkane style level design. I don't really think I saw anyone say the characters in Redfall are good. I just played the stealth guy and it was fine. I would have never purchased the game, but just tried it since it's on GP and ended up enjoying it well enough. 6.5/10 type of game.

If Concord has a 20-30 hour single player mode, I'd honestly still probably play it even with all the criticism its getting. I'm just not really interested in PvP hero shooters at all. Never bothered with Overwatch either.

I actually still think Suicide Squad looks fun too. I just don't want to buy a game with always online. If they remove that, I'll pick it up on sale.

Exoprimal is a ton of fun, but it's mostly PvE and the gameplay is far, far better than most of these types of games.

Last edited:
Do you know the other game that is also polished as fuck that's also a live service?

suicide-squad-1702002302912.jpg
Suicide Squad was developed by a studio that had no idea how to make a gaas game. It clearly went through development hell for years and the whole gaas attempt was an afterthought. You can say the exact same thing about Arkane and Redfall

And you may dislike hero arena shooters, but it's clear Firewalk had a single vision when developing this game. The gameplay looks good, imo. We will see soon enough

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A negative knee-jerk reaction to anything GaaS related?
I don't think its just anything GAAS related as many GAAS titles are monsters

It was so many things on this game that sets it up to fail and why people are hating on it

This may sound silly but leading the show with that long ass CGI trailer and then gameplay which took like 1/3 of the entire show was not a good way to kick this game off

CGI trailers need to die in a fire for game reveals

I was so disappointed when I saw that it was a blatant Overwatch clone. I'm just so not in the mood for a PvP hero shooter. I was especially disappointed when they were getting me excited with that long AF cgi trailer, only for it to be a freaking PvP hero shooter..

Last edited:
Not surprised, Concord looks like dogshit.

I always knew it was a red flag when the game was introduced with CGI and a logo last year.

Now we see why they were too shy to show off the game.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Well, yeah. Obviously. One is a full and complete single-player game based off of an amazing launch title, and the other is some rehashed GAAS bullshit.

Last edited:

Sintoid

Astrobot reveal
Gameplay
No CGI
Single player Goodnes
Release date (reasonable)

That's what everyone want

Try to compare with embarassing Concord CGI reveal trailer followed an year later by that gameplay reveal

Last edited:

It was so many things on this game that sets it up to fail and why people are hating on it

This may sound silly but leading the show with that long ass CGI trailer and then gameplay which took like 1/3 of the entire show was not a good way to kick this game off

It went on so long I thought I was in the wrong video.

Fortnite, COD, GTA Online, every single sports game now, all seem to do just fine despite being GaaS. So definitely not my first guess. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I never said it's a correct or even rational reaction. It's not hard to see that's where some people are just by reading the many posts of people bitching about GaaS games even here.

Same as the bit above while also throwing in the nature of Hero Shooters.

Personally I think having gameplay after cinematic was great giving players a taste of both even if yes, we really do need a much more extensive look at gameplay on this. That's going to be my biggest gripe when people get ahead of a game when trying to gauge how successful it's going to be. It could catch on fire or go down in flames, we just don't know yet, but as we should have learned by now going off likes or dislikes about a relatively unknown game means jackshit right now.

Concord has a very long uphill climb to be successful. Needs to be legitimately good, get lucky, and not get neutered by dumb decisions by the publisher. But if it is does all of that it will be a smash hit and make gobs of money.

Astrobot will score 90+ on MC. Everyone who plays it will say it's amazing. And it will sell reasonably well in it's niche, but nothing crazy.

I wish Astrobot would sell 20m and we'd get tons of creative, lower budget, less serious games in the same vein. Alas

00_Zer0

Well this makes sense since one looks great and the other looks like a clone of 10 other multiplayer games.
If both came to PC I would only buy Astrobot. I'm tired of all of these GaaS/multiplayer games. I am a diehard PC gamer, Nintendo fan and Japanese game fanatic and most GaaS/multiplayer games I stay away from.

I want unique single player experience that stands out from everything else. I mostly love Japanese games, but I will play a unique western style single player game if I feel it's not the same ol same ol that usually comes out.

Mowcno

That's like saying we don't need more singleplayer games.
No it's not. Singleplayer games you play through and then find another. People will play this type of game long-term. If they've already got a regular hero shooter they enjoy they don't need another.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Fuck this gaas generic game push ... hope they all fail ... helldivers 2 being successful is enough.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No it's not. Singleplayer games you play through and then find another. People will play this type of game long-term. If they've already got a regular hero shooter they enjoy they don't need another.
And how many hero shooters of this kind are there on PS5?

Overwatch
Paladins

And?

Maybe Apex Legends, but that's kind of a stretch as it's primarily a BR.

There's more than enough room for another. Even more so since Overwatch is 3rd party and Sony stated they want to become less reliant of 3rd party.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is what happens when suits chase trends. When this game was greenlit 4-5 years ago, overwatch and gaas was a huge fad. Now? the bubble has burst. i think its crazy that people didnt learn from flops like avengers and continued making suicide squad and other gaas trash like this.

Helldivers 2's success will likely result in several more copycats being greenlit as these hacky devs pitch their shit ideas to greedy execs like herman who just want to invest in the next fortnite.

the fact that money went into this while that greedy suit laid off insomniac devs who were actually producing great games and then took a promotion off of their hard work is everything thats wrong with this industry. talentless hacks get millions to make trash, suits get millions in bonuses and promotions, while the regular dev gets laid off after producing great games.

Ristifer

Next year: "Wow, this new live service game actually looks good! Hope it's not like Concord..."
Year after: "Wow, this new live service game actually looks good! Hope it's not like Concord and [insert the other shite game with moronic character choices from last year]..."
2027: "Wow, this new live service game..."

Astray

astro-bot-god-of-war-1440x810.jpg

PlayStation‘s trailers for Astro Bot and Concord have received vastly different reactions from viewers.

Both games were shown during Sony‘s State of Play presentation on Thursday, with Concord opening the show and Astro Bot closing it, but the response to each has differed greatly.

The Astro Bot trailer has been almost universally praised, receiving 99% likes on YouTube at the time of writing (23,405 likes versus just 245 dislikes).

However, the Concord gameplay trailer has received an overwhelmingly negative response, with only 18% likes on YouTube at the time of writing (2,735 likes versus 12,070 dislikes).

Concord’s cinematic trailer fared slightly better, but is still currently very much negative with 23% likes.

via VGC
You would expect fucking journalists to understand that YouTube dislike numbers have been an elaborate fakery for ages now.

From the website for the return YouTube dislike extension:

Where does the extension get its data?
A combination of archived data from before the official YouTube dislike API shut down, and extrapolated extension user behavior.

The extension has like 5m users based on the Chrome App store, YouTube has 2.3 BILLION MONTHLY ACTIVE USERS.

This piece is garbage.

Last edited:

Valt7786

I'd honestly love to know what happens inside these studios when they see these reactions.
Are they like "oh well whatever i'm getting paid regardless" or do they get genuinely deflated that no one likes their piece of shit no one asked for.

Top Bottom