• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Astrobot trailer receive 99% likes, while Concord trailer only gets 18%

GHound

Gold Member
The dislike button is still there on youtube, just the count is hidden from the viewers, there's plugins that let you see the counts again.
Not how the extensions work except for archived historic like and dislike counts. It's not just simply hidden, you can't (without authenticating as the uploader) do API calls for the dislike statistic after the handling of dislikes was changed.
Which means these ratios are only counting extension users and is likely even more in favor of dislikes in reality for Concord, but probably isn't as good for Astro Bot.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
During the CGI trailer I was like "hey it is a rip-off of Guardians of Galaxy, but these characters could have potential, I might wanna play this" and then it switched to some multiplayer bullshit and I dozed off
when they talked about having a cutscene weekly i was then just do a sp campaign.

Not how the extensions work except for archived historic like and dislike counts. It's not just simply hidden, you can't (without authenticating as the uploader) do API calls for the dislike statistic after the handling of dislikes was changed.
Which means these ratios are only counting extension users and is likely even more in favor of dislikes in reality for Concord, but probably isn't as good for Astro Bot.

I think it pretty much counts, for newer videos, people hitting the dislike button who also have the addon, which means the 17k downvotes are in fact accurate and not "fake" as some other used called them.

I got to be honest. Astro looks generic AF too, but people like single player platformers so they ignore it.
I get you're the Gaas guy and are probably going through it right now. But how in the hell is Astro generic? Everything about the previous games and what was shown in the trailer just oozes personality and creativity. Like you or anyone else doesn't have to like it or be interested, but generic? I just don't see how someone could come across with that take.

Especially when compared with something like Concord. It's hilarious to look at screenshots from other games in this thread. I straight up couldn't tell on most of them were different games. Everything is the same from the typical fortniteish color scheme, character types and extremely played out marvel-esque humor.

It's the main reason why I think the results are the way they are. Team Asobi looks like they had passion for a project and are nailing it (at least so far through the trailer). While fire walk looks like they sat in a board room and asked chatGPT, "please design a hero shooter."

Topher

Gold Member
iu

Somehow this reminds me of Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives

6pfNAcf.png

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
I'm incredulous that Sony cancelled so many gaas projects but left Concord. Does anyone believe there is any room left in the market for yet another 5v5 Overwatch clone? Never mind a game that has been beaten within an inch of its life with the DEI stick.

Astro Bot has a great chance to sell really well. Considering most people that bought a PS5 likely played Play Room as it was bundled. In 2024, you have to commend any developer that creates a game centred upon having fun rather than divisive current day messaging.

Last edited:

Paasei

I still remember the day I went to the store to buy a boxed version of Overwatch. It’s because I also bought Doom at the same time.

All my friends got Overwatch because they said they would play it. They did, but I didn’t.

The only hero shooter I ever liked was Rainbow Six Siege if you could call that one. Especially during the original lineup of characters.

All online games now reek of gaas, and I’m automatically not interested in them anymore. Cba to play a game where the main goal is to grind out yet another type of battle pass.

KaiserBecks

Remember when Hermen Hulst pushed for the closure of Team Asobi?

WTF
Angry Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

Hypereides

Gold Member
Remember when Hermen Hulst pushed for the closure of Team Asobi?

Talk about opening an old wound, man. Already stated it, but Hulst can flip right off if he was involved and pushed for the closure.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Even Foamstars looked better aesthetically than Concord.

People need to start copying Splatoon and Palworld more the weird and goofy but good looks; stuff you can probably make merch from should be a goal as well, to be honest, which Splatoon also does successfully because it's got cool aesthetics. Generic shooter with Baboon Ass Head guy isn't it.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

People need to start copying Splatoon and Palworld more the weird and goofy but good looks; stuff you can probably make merch from should be a goal as well, to be honest, which Splatoon also does successfully because it's got cool aesthetics. Generic shooter with Baboon Ass Head guy isn't it.
But Pronouns?

Starz Queer GIF by Vida

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Splatoon has amazing art design. And the merch is legitimately cool, and I saw a ton of it in Japan. Bought a few shirts as well and they just look like modern skater style shirts.

Definitely not something people can emulate easily. It's genuinely iconic.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I get you're the Gaas guy and are probably going through it right now. But how in the hell is Astro generic?
What they showed yesterday looks identical to what we got in Rescue Mission and Playroom. It's like they made one game back in 2018 and cut it up into 3 pieces.

The whole Pixar robots making Minions sounds with Mario 3D Land gameplay is every bit as soulless, market tested and generic as Concord.

I'm a man of principal though, which means I'm willing to apply the same rules to GAAS as well as single player. Crap is crap. Call a spade a spade.

Killjoy-NL

I'm incredulous that Sony cancelled so many gaas projects but left Concord. Does anyone believe there is any room left in the market for yet another 5v5 Overwatch clone? Never mind a game that has been beaten within an inch of its life with the DEI stick.

Astro Bot has a great chance to sell really well. Considering most people that bought a PS5 likely played Play Room as it was bundled. In 2024, you have to commend any developer that creates a game centred upon having fun rather than divisive current day messaging.
Nobody answered this:

What is available on the market on PS5 for this kind of game?

All I can think of are Overwatch and Paladins (which barely anyone plays afaik).

Maybe Apex Legends, but that's primarily a battle royale game.

There is definitely room for a competitor to OW.
If Concord is it, remains to be seen. Better wait for the previews and open beta before making proper judgements, imo.
Because gameplay doesn't seem bad at all and some of the ideas of the devs seem like they could shake things up, like the persistent deployables.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
Sony must have some big aspirations for these two “heroes” since they were apart of the iconic characters montage along with Kratos, Ratchet, and Ellie.

gIwFEKn.jpeg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nobody answered this:

What is available on the market on PS5 for this kind of game?

All I can think of are Overwatch and Paladins (which barely anyone plays afaik).

Maybe Apex Legends, but that's primarily a battle royale game.

There is definitely room for a competitor for OW.
If Concord is it, remains to be seen. Better wait for the previews and open beta before making proper judgements, imo.
Because gameplay doesn't seem bad at all and some of the ideas of the devs seem like they could shake things up, like the persistent deployables.
There is little doubt there is always room for a great game in any genre but for me this game looked uninspired, much of the same we have already seen, nothing setting it apart, absolutely no reason for me to ever try it unless it was free and no way I would ever pay money for it

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sony must have some big aspirations for these two “heroes” since they were apart of the iconic characters montage along with Kratos, Ratchet, and Ellie.

gIwFEKn.jpeg
One is black and the other looks like a non-white woman. Gotta have that diversity.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don't doubt that people didn't like the trailer but those numbers are fake, right? Google doesn't release dislikes anymore and it's just an estimate.

I'm glad people are starting to see this guy as a villain and Sony destroyer. I had him pegged years ago.
I think he means the rumor was bullshit…which it was.

Esca

I was excited to see what concord was at last and when they showed it being a hero shooter I lost all interest. The way I'm seeing it so far is I'm stick with helldiver's 2 till space marine 2 comes out

Hudo

Gold Member
It hurts because shit like this or that retarded misuse of the Marathon IP by Bungie get money thrown at them while good stuff like Motorstorm or Wipeout are dead.

Killjoy-NL

There is little doubt there is always room for a great game in any genre but for me this game looked uninspired, much of the same we have already seen, nothing setting it apart, absolutely no reason for me to ever try it unless it was free and no way I would ever pay money for it
That's fair. My initial reaction was eyerolling at the Woke vibe.

But giving it another look, it seem rather solid to me, even though I'm not too keen on the art direction.
The graphics themselves seem pretty good, it seems quite polished and the animations are really smooth.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's fair. My initial reaction was eyerolling at the Woke vibe.

But giving it another look, it seem rather solid to me, even though I'm not too keen on the art direction.
The graphics themselves seem pretty good, it seems quite polished and the animations are really smooth.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic.
The gameplay looks decent and was quite fluid it just has too many strikes against it for me

Kerotan

Anyone want to guess the Astro price tag when it launches. I guess it depends if it's short like the last one or expended.

Killjoy-NL

Last edited:
To be fair, no one was interested in Helldivers 2 until people actually played it, so there’s still a chance this might happen.

Yup

The internet outrage isn’t real in most cases. A lot of people especially kids play these GaaS games which is why they keep making them. If they didn’t make money companies would stop making them, it’s that simple.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think Concord will surprise a lot of people, just like Hell Drivers 2 did this year. Even though I have zero interest in the game.

The major difference between Helldivers 2 and this is that Helldivers is extremely good conceptually, and avoids the miserable tropes of so many modern games. Concord has all of them. They couldn't be more different in terms of aesthetic, tone, execution and intent.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not surprising Astro Bot looks like absolute joy to play while Concord looks like another generic hero shooter with even less inspiring character designs, complete with cringy ass marvel humour.

nowhat

Gold Member

Denorion

Neo Member
It hurts because shit like this or that retarded misuse of the Marathon IP by Bungie get money thrown at them while good stuff like Motorstorm or Wipeout are dead.

And Marathon might be reworked into a hero shooter

Top Bottom