• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We will impeach ours (for a second time) before you impeach yours. Sincerely, Brazil

Apzu

The chairman of meatpacking giant JBS SA secretly recorded his discussion with Brazilian President Michel Temer about payments to jailed former House Speaker Eduardo Cunha in return for his silence, newspaper O Globo reported on Wednesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-corruption-idUSKCN18D2XY

I haven't found much information in english news sources so i posted reuters link just in case, but according to the brazilian newspaper who broke the news, the president Michel Temer was taped while talking to the chairman of JBS the biggest food processing company in Brazil. In the conversation the chairman says he is paying a former house representative regularly so he won't say anything he knows about the corruption scheme investigated by the police, the president then says to keep doing that. It seems the chairman and other members of the company were helping with the police investigations and taped the conversations as part of their agreement with the judicial system.

There was also a senator caught on another tape asking for a bribery of 2 million reais (something like 650 thousand dollars), fun fact, he happens to be the president of one of the most important parties in Brazil.

Edit:
So quick update, it seems I was wrong and we won't impeach ours afterall, even with all the evidence to do so and a president with an approval rating of only 5%. Just this week the Congress decided not to investigate the president any further over the allegation of corruption, this article in the Washington Post summarizes what happened:

Two months ago, analysts declared Temer's government dead after leaked recordings appeared to show the president condoning the payment of hush money to protect a wealthy meatpacking executive. Next, a videotape surfaced of a close aide receiving a suitcase full of cash — part of a $12 million bribe from the executive allegedly intended for Temer, a charge he denies.

But the fight to stay on may have drained the president of the political capital needed to govern. Temer has promised to use his victory to try to pass flagship reform programs he believes are key to resuscitating the economy. The unpopular measures require a two-thirds majority in congress, a level of support he has yet to achieve.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...dent-clung-to-his-job/?utm_term=.2f4fef1415c3

mp1990

Banned
18582091_1319403271462003_5167596711122389080_n.jpg
😂

Maxinas

The fact that Brazil would have to impeach another President in a row, means we won.
Of course if only Trump is removed from office, we'd have Pence to get rid of next.

Tiu Neo

I'm not sure of what is happening today, but I'm liking it.

Hope both are impeached, heh. Not that this will fix much, since Temer don't have a vice-president, and we'll have indirect elections, if the impeachment really happens.

Apzu

It's not a competition, fellas
Sure it isn't, we are miles ahead of you. You only have Trump, we have lots of politicians like him down here.
Please help us

The fact that Brazil would have to impeach another President in a row, means we won.
Of course if only Trump is removed from office, we'd have Pence to get rid of next.
I've heard that when you impeach 3 presidents in a row your country can take another shot at the geography roulette. I'm hoping we can respawn somewhere closer to europe, maybe then we'll be invited for eurovision.

Apzu

The things we're proud of.
Happiness is in the little things of life.

What's the problem with that jailed dude's wife ?

face1.jpg
Yep, nightmare fuel.

Then vote for someone better the first time around
Nah, what's the fun of doing that. We voted, we impeached the president, the vice president stepped in and now it's time for him to go too.

At least they haven't tried to sell you out to a fascist enemy power yet.
Not this time around, but back in the day our dictatorial governement really admired Nazi Germany.

Apzu

Uhh you know they have a whole party full of people like Trump?
JVT94AJ.png

You can't beat latin american countries in their own game, we invented presidential populism.

well you would be like that too if you were married to the devil himself
The things she must have seen...

Hahaha nice joke mate 10/10.
The best part of the joke is that we don't have an electoral college, we have a direct voting system and voting is mandatory. Even then, we don't get good politicians.

lcswagner

Neo Member
Well it's a possibility. But remember that Rodrigo Maia still is the speaker of the house, so he needs to accept any request for an impeachment, which probably won't happen.
That said, the judgement of the our electoral court should judge Dilma and Temer in the next month, and with this, they may feel secure enough to annul their mandate. This really would be the best and less traumatic choice, but IDK

I fear the possibility that this situation will increase the political apathy in Brazil and help even worse politicians like Bolsonaro (a homophobic, racist, transphobic, fascistic nutcase) to spread.

Apzu

Well it's a possibility. But remember that Rodrigo Maia still is the speaker of the house, so he needs to accept any request for an impeachment, which probably won't happen.
That said, the judgement of the our electoral court should judge Dilma and Temer in the next month, and with this, they may feel secure enough to annul their mandate. This really would be the best and less traumatic choice, but IDK
True, Rodrigo Maia even ended today's session earlier and ran away from Congress as soon as he could, but he will have to analyse any impeachment request eventually. Besides, if Temer is impeached Maia becomes president for at least 90 days, he might like that idea.

I really doubt the electoral court will do that, 2 members of the court were changed in the last 2 months and appointed by Temer, of course he chose people he knew wouldn't vote against him.

I fear the possibility that this situation will increase the political apathy in Brazil and help even worse politicians like Bolsonaro (a homophobic, racist, transphobic, fascistic nutcase) to spread.
Yeah, unfortunately that could happen. At the same time, if all crooked politicians can't become candidates, what is Bolsonaro's appeal? I mean, most candidates in 2018 will be outsiders, so him being an outsider won't matter anymore.

Tiu Neo

Well, Temer could always renounce. Dilma would never do that, but I can see him doing that - and then his allies will put someone as bad as him as president, since, you know, indirect elections.

Well that means Brazil's democracy is not healthy. It's barely better than the military dictatorship.

This is not just Brazil's problem. None of the South Korea president has had good ending either.

Tiu Neo

Your 2nd impeachment something to brag about, Brazil?

Well, Temer was Dilma's vice-president. I think some people would be happy if they could impeach Trump and, a few months later, Pence.

Well that means Brazil's democracy is not healthy. It's barely better than the military dictatorship.

This is not just Brazil's problem. None of the South Korea president has had good ending either.

Not really. We had a dictatorship in the 80s, and it was way way worse. (But there are some crazies that want it back, heh)

lcswagner

Neo Member
True, Rodrigo Maia even ended today's session earlier and ran away from Congress as soon as he could, but he will have to analyse any impeachment request eventually. Besides, if Temer is impeached Maia becomes president for at least 90 days, he might like that idea.

I really doubt the electoral court will do that, 2 members of the court were changed in the last 2 months and appointed by Temer, of course he chose people he knew wouldn't vote against him.

Yeah, you're probably right. The only way for him to block an impeachment process would be to somehow keep his control on Congress, but that seems close to impossible now. I mean, I can see PSDB abandoning him right away, as well as DEM. Those weird centre parties don't have an allegiance to anyone but who can give them some power. Everything looks so unpredictable

Apzu

Your 2nd impeachment something to brag about, Brazil?
Historically it will be our third, we had one in 1992. This is just the second in a row, we just impeached our president in 2016, we may impeach the vice president who became president now. It's like impeaching Pence after impeaching Trump.

It sure isn't, but I don't agree it's barely better than military dictatorship. Dictatorships are really a lot worse. At least now we are investigating politicians and that's why these things get uncovered, hopefully things will get better from there.

lcswagner

Neo Member

Yeah, not really. Our dictatorship was a mess in every sense of the word

mp1990

Banned

bolsonaro is offensive to the eyes but that's about it, his rhetoric is paper thin. doria plays the same role as "non-politician" but he can hide well enough that people buy him, even though he'd sell brazilian workers to companies just as fast as Temer, if not faster

lcswagner

Neo Member
bolsonaro is offensive to the eyes but that's about it, his rhetoric is paper thin. doria plays the same role as "non-politician" but he can hide well enough that people buy him, even though he'd sell brazilian workers to companies just as fast as Temer, if not faster

This. Bolsonaro doesn't really have a political platform. It's just hate speech that I really don't think clicks with anyone besides a loud minority. Doria has a real shot, though, even more now with Aécio and Alckmin up to their necks in shit (and cocaine LOL)

Apzu

This will actually be the third in my lifetime!
We should really be looking into the possibility of a parliamentary system.

Well, Temer could always renounce. Dilma would never do that, but I can see him doing that - and then his allies will put someone as bad as him as president, since, you know, indirect elections.
I doubt he will renounce, the politicians are doing everything they can not to be investigated and prosecuted by Sergio Moro and that's what would happen if he renounces. I think it's easier for him to fight this on court so he will keep his privileges.

Tiu Neo

I doubt he will renounce, the politicians are doing everything they can not to be investigated and prosecuted by Sergio Moro and that's what would happen if he renounces. I think it's easier for him to fight this on court so he will keep his privileges.

Yeah, I was thinking more of "saving his ass by renouncing and putting someone of his liking in his place, using his political power", but yeah... Makes sense, he won't because of the privileges.

Anyway, the left's supporters reactions would be funny, if Moro arrested him or something like that.

LeonSPBR

Hold another L Trump.

We'll show you Americans how to impeach your president and vice president. Hope you guys do that though.

Top Bottom