• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We will impeach ours (for a second time) before you impeach yours. Sincerely, Brazil

ItIsOkBro

What's the problem with that jailed dude's wife ?

face1.jpg

LzVrOcN.gif

Tiu Neo

Hey, you guys have a little hope: Maybe Trump will see our impeachments, and try to prove he makes the best impeachment, the biggest impeachment. It will be tremendous.

Platy

Also, it is always good to remember that we have a BrazilGAF that is open to brazilians to speak hue hue and to non brazilians to ask about our beautifull meme factory of a country

Apzu

Just as an update. Even though it's close to midnight here, there were some protesters against the president in Sao Paulo and Brasilia. Tomorrow will probably have bigger protests though.

EBreda

Fuck em all I say. But we are the ones screwed. Economy showed signs of recovery, of course something this bad would happen.

Sincerely I have no hope whatsoever of anything good coming out of this shitshow. Won't be naive enough to hope for them to rot in prison cause lol who are we kidding right?

God help us all.

I don't follow Brazil's political situation terribly closely, but the news last year here in Portugal made it sound like there weren't exactly a bunch of honest politicians around just waiting to get voted into office.

So, assuming you remove the current president, what comes next? Lula back in power?

Apzu

The funny thing is that it was mostly Temer the one who pushed for Dilma's impeachment.
Actually I would say that the one who pushed for the impeachment was Eduardo Cunha, but he had some help from Temer. Also, Cunha is the former speaker of the house who is now in jail and received hush money. In the end Temer will fall for helping the guy who helped him with the impeachment.

I don't follow Brazil's political situation terribly closely, but the news last year here in Portugal made it sound like there weren't exactly a bunch of honest politicians around just waiting to get voted into office.

So, assuming you remove the current president, what comes next? Lula back in power?
Yeah they are the worst, that's been a point noted by many since yesterday, especially because if Temer is not the president anymore then we have an indirect election to decide who is president. Which basically means that the corrupt house representatives will choose our next president. I'm just waiting to see if we can impeach a 3rd presidents before the elections in 2018.

Didn't the current President use charges of corruption to out the former president? This is very ironic
In a way, yes. Dilma wasn't impeached for being caught negotiating any bribery, but for some frauds related to the federal budget. It was more an accounting corruption rather than a more common type of corruption.

Wasn't Temer doing a somewhat decent job?
Not really.

lcswagner

Neo Member
Yeah, I was thinking more of "saving his ass by renouncing and putting someone of his liking in his place, using his political power", but yeah... Makes sense, he won't because of the privileges.

Anyway, the left's supporters reactions would be funny, if Moro arrested him or something like that.

He doesn't have the usual privileges of the president, because the crime was committed while he was president. I would say it's actually worse for him, because he would be judged directly by the Supreme Court, which means there wouldn't be a higher court for him to ahn... "recorrer"(I don't know the term in english)

lcswagner

Neo Member
Wasn't Temer doing a somewhat decent job?

Weeeeeell, he was pushing economic reforms through. He is a crony politician of the worst kind there is, there's no doubt about that, but most of the reforms were necessary. The way they some of them were done is debatable though

Kid Ying

Temer was a mixed bag. Some stuff he pushed was good and some was pretty bad, but overall, i had the fellings the country was doing better than last year and with opportunity to do even better by last year.

Now no one knows. This turmoil might end fast or not and even after this, i don't feel like there's anyone in there that can even try to fix things. We lost four years in the end and now we can only hope next year being something better to us.

Apzu

He doesn't have the usual privileges of the president, because the crime was committed while he was president. I would say it's actually worse for him, because he would be judged directly by the Supreme Court, which means there wouldn't be a higher court for him to ahn... "recorrer"(I don't know the term in english)
I guess you could say appeal, but I'm not so sure if that's the best word.

Anyway, that's an important thing to consider. It really is better for him to be judged by any other court but the supreme court in this case, it would take longer and he could appeal at least to 3 higher courts. However once he steps down that won't be the only charge against him, there are several corruption charges that can't be made against him as long as he's still president. So he'll have to weight his options.

NandoGip

Brazil has had a history of corruption, EVERYONE has known about it. This is a miracle that it's being exposed consistently. The politicians have been the reason the country has been held back for so long.

Apzu

Presidential impeachment speedruns are now a thing.
I guess, but Paraguay still has the fastest impeachment I've heard of. So we're trying another world record, maybe we can impeach more presidents than any other nation. Also, we may try to get the record for most consecutive impeachments in the shortest time.

turmoil

Banned
Real deprecated 5% and bovespa fell 10%

Dear Brazil, please don't start a crisis, we have enough problems as it is.

Sincerely, Argentina

Apzu

Real deprecated 5% and bovespa fell 10%

Dear Brazil please don't start a crisis, we have enough problems as it is.

Sincerely, Argentina
Sorry, we've not been the best neighbours in a long time and we're holding down many other economies, but at least... yeah, there's nothing good out of it, sorry again. I hope we can get that deal with the EU though, that would be great.

Platy

Presidential impeachment speedruns are now a thing.

Does Tancredo Neves counts ?

In 1984, Tancredo ran for president with the help of Ulysses Guimarães. He was elected President of Brazil on January 15, 1985 by the indirect voting of an electoral college. Tancredo fell gravely ill on the eve of his inauguration, March 14, 1985, and died 39 days afterwards. He died of diverticulitis and never assumed his position as president. While still ill, he was awarded the "Grand Cross of Value, Loyalty and Merit" by the "Military Order of the Tower and Spade" on March 27.[2] Although he died before taking his post as president his name has been included in the gallery of Brazilian presidents according to law 7.4653

Not exactly impeachment but sure a any% presidential speedrun

Apzu

Does Tancredo Neves counts ?

Not exactly impeachment but sure a any% presidential speedrun
He died before being inaugrated, he was never officialy our president.

Edit:
Sorry I was wrong, he got sick before inauguration and died a few days later. Still he never actually took office, Sarney did from day one.

turmoil

Banned
Sorry, we've not been the best neighbours in a long time and we're holding down many other economies, but at least... yeah, there's nothing good out of it, sorry again. I hope we can get that deal with the EU though, that would be great.

Don't worry fam, this is like things are in SA for all countries.

Brofist

Platy

funnily enough that (along with the operation) is the guy responsible for putting both Aecio and Temer in this situation.

Some people are just dumb, tho

He also didn't wanted Cunha to talk about Temer, which could have made this happen a few months ago

Apzu

He also didn't wanted Cunha to talk about Temer, which could have made this happen a few months ago
Temer is not under his jurisdiction though. If he allowed the questions people would've complained just like they did with that tape from Dilma and Lula, which was responsible for him being reprimanded by the supreme court and later apologizing. Also, these tapes are from march, maybe he didn't allow the questions so he wouldn't hinder the investigations.

Don't worry fam, this is like things are in SA for all countries.

Brofist
EkKskEU.gif

Granjinha

Who didn't? Moro? What are you talking about? lol

just stop with the conspiracy bullshit, please.

At least this ends (for sane people) the narrative (that sane people didn't use) that Lava Jato was only after PT. Which it clearly never was (Although PT got the main flak cause, well, its pretty obvious)

Temer is not under his jurisdiction though. If he allowed the questions people would've complained just like they did with that tape from Dilma and Lula, which was responsible for him being reprimanded by the supreme court and later apologizing. Also, these tapes are from march, maybe he didn't allow the questions not to hinder the investigations.

yep

Apzu

If he resigns, who is next for president? The lower house's head?
Kinda, the lower house's head becomes president for the next 30 days and after that time Congress elects a new president who will be president till our next election in 2018.

Eylos

Banned
Kinda, the lower house's head becomes president for the next 30 days and after that time Congress elects a new president who will be president till our next election in 2018.

That If he and senate head are not indicted by corruption, if that happens is the supreme court head

Apzu

That If he and senate head are not indiciated by corruption, if that happens is the supreme court head
I was explaining the first steps, the supreme court head is the last in line, but yeah she could become our new president. Anyway, it doesn't change much, whomever gets there will be president only for 30 days, unless they are elected by Congress afterward.

Top Bottom