• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best DSi Ware Games?

Olorin

Aura-Aura Climber (200 points)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8slh4XH3O8
My favorite DsiWare game so far. Guide your star to the top of the level by jumping and grabbing onto points. Controls are all button based and work very well. There are 10 levels, each of which adds a new gameplay element. You get ranked at the end of each level and getting all S ranks is pretty challenging.
There's also a marathon mode (all 10 levels combined), an endless mode and some 30 medals (achievements), so there's a lot of content and replayability for only $2.
The video above only shows the first level (played badly), so it doesn't really show how intense the game gets later on.

Photo Dojo (200 points)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_55zoAgtJPs
Only buy it if you have friends or family who don't mind acting silly.
Take 10 photo's of someone and then record some sounds and you've got yourself a new fighter. The gameplay itself is very basic, but seeing and hearing yourself fight your friends is hilarious.
There's a single player mode where you have to defeat 100 enemies and a 2 player mode where both players use the same DS.

Pop Island: Paperfield (200 points)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H67phAV_O8
Cute but frantic capture-the-flag racing game. You race around an island where flag appear at certain spots. Once you capture a flag, you need to bring it back to your team's base and avoid being shot at by the other team.
There are several different characters and vehicles to unlock and 3 different maps. It supports both touch and button controls, and it features download play for up to 8 players (so you only need one copy of the game)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
loosus said:
Also, I am going to have to go against the consensus on "Trajectile" and "X-scape," as well. I liked the games at first, thought they were cool little games, but it was hard to want to play them after an hour or so.
You, me - the graveyard behind the church, tomorrow at dawn.

Provider

KamenSenshi said:
10 Second Run:
10.jpg

Pure run and jump. If you like platforming and want a "speed run" type, this is it. Try to get to the goal in the title time.

This game is great... short, but you can always watch someone else go crazy with the 1 second runs HAHAH

jgkspsx

Boney said:
(10 second run)
Except not that good really.. downloaded it along the GG Series, and it's kinda like a drab to play. Especially waiting around 8 seconds everytime you lose and start playing again. Especially waiting around 8 seconds everytime you lose and start playing again.
This. I like it enough, but the wait to restart after the inevitable and fairly frequent deaths is really fun-killing. bit.trip Runner and Super Meat Boy etc. have spoiled me.

I picked up Soul of Darkness because of this thread and I have to say it's pretty fucking awesome. If I didn't have to get up in about 7 hours I wouldn't be putting it down.

jacksrb

New 3DS owner here, had a DS lite but never a DSi.

I really loved Lemmings back in the day, and am looking at Mario v Donkey Kong: MotM and DodoGo! IGN has the later ranked higher, but I wondered if anyone here had played both and wants to share.

Kevtones

jacksrb said:
New 3DS owner here, had a DS lite but never a DSi.

I really loved Lemmings back in the day, and am looking at Mario v Donkey Kong: MotM and DodoGo! IGN has the later ranked higher, but I wondered if anyone here had played both and wants to share.[/]

Dodogo! Robo is a steal for $2.
Crazy Hamster is quite similar and also fun for $2.

Other solid $2 games:
10 Second Run
GG Series Ninja
Aura Aura Climber (absolutely great)
Escapee Go!
Spotto
AiRace Tunnel
Pop Island Paperfield
Glory Days

There's some other good ones too.

TheOGB

Banned
So I just took my 400 Points and finally got Photo Dojo. Now...

What game should I get with the last 200? I'm seeing Aura Aura Climber, Pop Island (which I was previously interested in) and 10 Second Run come up frequently. Sell me on one of these.

Aura-Aura Climber has a surprising amount of depth and detail for two bucks. You take control of a ball of light that climbs towards the sky by hooking on spheres, but obstacles and power-ups that get introduced along the way keep the gameplay from getting too repetitive. The controls are solid, the sound and music isn't half bad, and climbing for high scores can get kinda addicting. Way fun for 200 points.

i love cave story. such a fun game to play for a quick few minutes, or keep me busy for an hour. graphics are beautiful, controls are perfect.

D73of.jpg

dark void zero is tough. old school tough. but i love it. haven't beat it yet, though.

FFamo.jpg

edit:
Metal Gear?! said:
I'm kinda curious how the $5 DSiWare Tetris is, as compared to the earlier (now out of print) Nintendo Tetris and the new $20 Tetris Party cartridge title? Since no one mentioned it I assume it's worthless?

it's a good tetris game, but be prepared to wait for minutes until an opponent is found.

Reclaimer

Shantae is a great game. Behind Zelda OoT, it's the best thing I've played on my 3DS so far. Real love went into developing this game.
gD3RO.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
blu, resident odenis fan! (or anyone else) Did you try Glory Days yet? Any good?
Sorry, zigg, here's a 5-month-overdue response (thread slipped off my radar, imagine that :/ )

Haven't tried it yet, as I'm generally very wary of TD games - I avoid the generic ones/clones, but some more original ones are among my favorites (eg. Starship Patrol). But a gaffer here already gave a good word of Glory Days, so perhaps I might bite.

While on the subject of best dsiware games: Go! Go! Kokopolo (which even got its OT)

Javier

JazzmanZ said:
I'm a little curious, if any of the Don bluth animated games any good? like Dragons lair?
I have Dragon's Lair and it's actually quite fun to play. Yes, the whole "press the correct button at the ABSOLUTELY EXACT INSTANT" mechanic can get really frustrating, to the point that even replaying a scene you got right before can net you a miss. However, I find the hilarious cutscenes completely make up for it. It grows on you after a while.

Ronian

Neo Member
Want to get a 200 points game:
Which one would you recommend out of these 3:
Spotto!
Dodogo! Robo
Pyoro

Thanks!

The eShop search is broken. It says Capcom published no games on DSiWare and SquareEnix published no strategy games. It was a pain in the ass to find Dark Void Zero and Dragon Quest Wars.

I haven't bought very much on the e-shop, so there's not a lot I can recommend.

But I can say - I had a couple bucks left over on my account, so I bought AirRace: Tunnel. It controls like complete shit. AVOID.

olimpia84

Does the Wario Ware DSi game work well with the 3DS? I'm asking because it made use of the DS camera but I don't think this should be a problem right?

zigg

Does the Wario Ware DSi game work well with the 3DS? I'm asking because it made use of the DS camera but I don't think this should be a problem right?
The Wario Ware DSi game didn't work well with the DSi.

Also it was awful.

I actually kind of thought it might be fun but even when it did work, the game structure is awful. DO NOT BUY

Tons of much better suggestions in this thread. Like... right at the top of this page!

PokéKong

Another big vote for BOXLIFE. If that were a retail game I would buy ten copies.

As well as PiCTOBiTS, also developed by Skip and featuring a soundtrack of classic NES songs remixed by YMCK.

Flipper is a neat puzzly game with voxel graphics, but the upcoming and completely different looking sequel Flipper 2: Flush the Goldfish looks very promising as well.

A Kappa's Trail is probably a bit too simple and easy for most, but it's a well made game from Brownie Brown, so there's a Mother 3 reference or two snuck in there for those interested.

All of the WayForward games:
  • Mighty Flip Champs
  • Mighty Milky Way
  • Shantae: Risky's Revenge

All the Q-Games games:
  • Trajectile
  • Starship Defence
  • X-Scape

Dark Void Zero seems to get some hype, but it was quite a let down to me. Only 3 levels and the sprites are sloppy, it feels more like a licensed GBC game than a classic NES game.
I've also heard terrible things about Dragon Quest Wars.

olimpia84

The Wario Ware DSi game didn't work well with the DSi.

Also it was awful.

I actually kind of thought it might be fun but even when it did work, the game structure is awful. DO NOT BUY

Tons of much better suggestions in this thread. Like... right at the top of this page!

Thanks, I won't do it then. TBH I kind of feared the game wasn't going to work well with the camera.

PokéKong;34083776 said:
Dark Void Zero seems to get some hype, but it was quite a let down to me. Only 3 levels and the sprites are sloppy, it feels more like a licensed GBC game than a classic NES game.
I've also heard terrible things about Dragon Quest Wars.

Seriously? I have a lot of faith in Intelligent Systems.

zigg

PokéKong;34083776 said:
A Kappa's Trail is probably a bit too simple and easy for most, but it's a well made game from Brownie Brown, so there's a Mother 3 reference or two snuck in there for those interested.
Hmm, I wouldn't have called it easy--I played it all the way to the end, did you?

I really liked it, but note that it's very stylus-intensive and it can be a bit frustrating to deal with the amount of scrolling a small viewport around a large playfield required and the mechanism used to do so.

Thanks, I won't do it then. TBH I kind of feared the game wasn't going to work well with the camera.
I don't think that should be a problem. I haven't tried it, but DSi games probably just default to using one of the external cameras, and they seem to be the same camera that was in DSi.

Top Bottom