• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can Nintendo learn from Disney in terms of marketing and branding?

ScOULaris

That's a great encapsulation of this thread. The problem is that Nintendo doesn't seem to want to do any of that. Their reluctance to make anything for the dudebro gamer is a good indication of their problems. Even if they hate this demographic, a platform holder cannot just ignore it.

If those aren't the types of games that Nintendo makes, then it is traditionally up to third parties to fill that void. But third parties have been leaving Nintendo hardware high and dry for a while now, hence their dilemma. I'm honestly not sure what Nintendo could do to change that at this point. It's like a broken record every console generation.

Malyse

Damn that's true. Zelda, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, & Birdo really need to get the Disney Princess treatment.
Birdo isn't going to be a princess. Nintendo isn't going to do anything with a queer character. Now I can see Samus being put in a Princess lineup along with Lucina and Palutena.

4Tran

If those aren't the types of games that Nintendo makes, then it is traditionally up to third parties to fill that void. But third parties have been leaving Nintendo hardware high and dry for a while now, hence their dilemma. I'm honestly not sure what Nintendo could do to change that at this point. It's like a broken record every console generation.
Traditionally, Disney only made films for families and children. They decided to fill up that gap by launching Touchstone Pictures, then made further efforts by spending hundreds of millions on the Pirates films, acquired Marvel and now Star Wars as well. Just because it wasn't what they normally made isn't an excuse for ignoring important demographics.

Malyse

I think Nintendo needs to launch an animation or film division. The biggest thing disney does is have greatly diversified assets, so N would do well to have not everything riding on games

ScOULaris

Traditionally, Disney only made films for families and children. They decided to fill up that gap by launching Touchstone Pictures, then made further efforts by spending hundreds of millions on the Pirates films, acquired Marvel and now Star Wars as well. Just because it wasn't what they normally made isn't an excuse for ignoring important demographics.

Yeah, good point.

I think Nintendo needs to launch an animation or film division. The biggest thing disney does is have greatly diversified assets, so N would do well to have not everything riding on games

Yeah. We had the Mario cartoons in the 80's/90's. I'd like to see something like that make a return. It does a good job of fleshing out the world and the characters of Nintendo's iconic IP's.

Popnbake

In terms of marketing a product to a young girl demographic, yes. But I cringe whenever I see this because, as the dad of a young girl, the Disney Princess line is so damn sexist and infantilizing of the Disney Princess characters. And because "If You Can Dream" may be the most cynical and worst Disney song ever made. AND because once you get Disney Princesses, you're on the road to the Disney Princess Toddler line, which is just terrible (and doesn't make any sense! Many/most of those characters were not princesses when they were toddlers - respect your own damn IP Disney).

But if Nintendo wants to make Zelda, Daisy, Samus, and Rosalina into strong capable characters, and market those heavily to the young girl demographic, more power to them.

They're just broadening the princess line to appeal more to girls.

One of the main things Nintendo doesn't have compared to Disney is the decades worth of exposure when it comes to targeting girls/women.

Men and women today grew up watching those Disney films so they're likely to purchase princess toys for their children despite it no longer having any mainstream relevance outside merchandising.

Nintendo would need to make blockbuster films each starring those female characters while keeping them in line with those 'strong' expectations to avoid sexist criticisms and then combine them into a mega merchandise franchise for boys and girls alike.

I mean it's possible but it sure sounds like a crazy idea right now.

Top Bottom