• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Superkid93

Neo Member
Playing Olli Olli 2. My first experience with the series.

Why are the controls so ass? My monkey brain cant disassociate from THPS/Skate controls....specifically hitting "a" to land

Playing Olli Olli 2. My first experience with the series.

Why are the controls so ass? My monkey brain cant disassociate from THPS/Skate controls....specifically hitting "a" to land
I've been tempted to buy Olli Olli World recently, but can't erase the trauma of trying the originals and hating the controls. I wish the new one had a demo.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm playing Granblue Fantasy Relink. Beat Animal Well and loved it. So far my favorite games of 2024 are FFVII Rebirth, Prince of Persia TLC, and Animal Well. I loved all 3. This year may not be nearly as deep in games as 2023, but the games I love this year so far I loved just about as much as the games of last year.

I find it hard to believe even by December, those 3 won't still be in my top 5 for GOTY.

Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In3y7ft.png

When you see it ... :' (

Roberts

Played a few Little Kitty, Big City sessions with my daughter. It's a fun adventure game - does nothing particularly original and there are a few tech shortcomings like lousy collision detection, but there is tons to do and while never particularly challenging, it was fun to find ways how to reach more hidden areas and places. And speaking of cat games, I think I like this one better than Stray.

Roberts

I've been tempted to buy Olli Olli World recently, but can't erase the trauma of trying the originals and hating the controls. I wish the new one had a demo.
Have never played the originals, but I clearly remember my initial frustration with Olli Olli World controls. I couldn't understand why there was no consistency of how I perform tricks - a special move sometimes worked, sometime not even though it felt like I am doing the same thing. But eventually I mastered controls and have only fond memories of the game.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
Resident Evil 3 remake. It's the first survival horror game I've played, so I'm finding it a little strange. Horror isn't really my genre, either in fiction or videogames, but I heard the game recommended as a good short game (I'm experimenting with shorter games lately).

I'm about 2 or 3 hours in. Not sure how I feel it about it. On the one hand, I like the old school feel, it's nice to see an attractive female lead, and the game keeps me on my toes. On the other, I find the aiming difficult, although I guess this is intentional, and I'm not used to having to watch my inventory so closely, although I understand that's part of the genre. I'm getting killed more often than I'd like, heh, and sweating more than I'm used to. The backtracking can be a bit much. I like that the game is linear and short, though. Carlos' haircut looks silly.

So, I dunno. It's pretty good so far. Like I say, I'm not familiar with the survival horror genre, so there is a learning curve. I'm managing to make it from one checkpoint to the next - sometimes with only a shred of health left, but hey, I made it...

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Elex 2

The jank is strong with this one but my god is it fun to play. Gorgeous world to explore and the jet pack makes for interesting traversal. Combat is janky as fuck but I don't really care. It feels kinda like Skyrim and I did several playthroughs of that game. The dialogue and characters are also kinda funny, with their weird looking eyes and strange animations when they move. It's uncanny valley and most of it is probably unintentional but it makes for lots of laughs. The writing is also funny as hell. The whole game has a very strange and bizarre aura to it that really draws you in. Love it so far.

Resident Evil 3 remake. It's the first survival horror game I've played, so I'm finding it a little strange. Horror isn't really my genre, either in fiction or videogames, but I heard the game recommended as a good short game (I'm experimenting with shorter games lately).

I'm about 2 or 3 hours in. Not sure how I feel it about it. On the one hand, I like the old school feel, it's nice to see an attractive female lead, and the game keeps me on my toes. On the other, I find the aiming difficult, although I guess this is intentional, and I'm not used to having to watch my inventory so closely, although I understand that's part of the genre. I'm getting killed more often than I'd like, heh, and sweating more than I'm used to. The backtracking can be a bit much. I like that the game is linear and short, though. Carlos' haircut looks silly.

So, I dunno. It's pretty good so far. Like I say, I'm not familiar with the survival horror genre, so there is a learning curve. I'm managing to make it from one checkpoint to the next - sometimes with only a shred of health left, but hey, I made it...
It is more action than survival horror. The aiming is very responsive if you adjust sensitivity but it will not be Gears of War. Compared to most games in the genre the backtracking is practically non-existent. Carlos looks a lot better with Brad's haircut mod for sure, but classic costume DLC is an option as well.
45EFA16C7EF62EDC0DADECCAA7B3ABC9C64D4890

P.S. Timing dodges allows you to get a slow motion critical hit with the aiming adjusting automatically.

Last edited:

I don't like playing survival/horror games at all, which is why RE4 was the first in the series for me. I have been debating trying RE3R now that it was released on PS+ Extra. I have not once considered playing the original RE3 solely because of Nemesis. It's like the entirety of that game is built upon being stalked by an invincible enemy, it's the least compelling concept I can think of - because I love exploration and being able to play at my own pace. How has that been so far in the remake?

• Love
I don't like playing survival/horror games at all, which is why RE4 was the first in the series for me. I have been debating trying RE3R now that it was released on PS+ Extra. I have not once considered playing the original RE3 solely because of Nemesis. It's like the entirety of that game is built upon being stalked by an invincible enemy, it's the least compelling concept I can think of - because I love exploration and being able to play at my own pace. How has that been so far in the remake?
Nemesis appearances are scripted and you can toss a grenade his way to incapacitate him for the duration of your visit to an area.

Diablo 4 Season 4 (currently lvl 58 on my sorc). Really digging the loot changes and the focus of the season being the helltide. Making my way up to the end game content as I heard it's fun.

Did you play through the campaign with your lvl 58 sorc?
Nope. I always skip it when I'm making a seasonal character as I already finished the campaign on a different one back when the game released. This season I went directly to grinding XP and loot in Helltide and completing Whispers of the Dead bounties.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Doing another co-op run in Elden Ring before the DLC hits. While I'm having a great time, it often reminds me of the issues I had with it in the first place (boss recycling and items like ruin arcs, stonesword keys, or other crafting materials found in chests which robs some of the joy out exploration).

Humdinger

Gold Member

It's one of the things I don't like so much. Nemesis isn't ever-present, but he does show up frequently. To be sure, it creates some exciting action scenes, where you're trying to escape this killing machine, but he shows up too often for my taste. At this point, I want him to go away and leave me alone. I just defeated him in a boss battle, but I know he will just resurrect and transform into something deadlier.

Although I like the excitement of some of those encounters, I am more like you - I like playing at my own pace, not being continually hounded and stressed. I've got enough to deal with, thank you.

edit: stopped at the second boss fight with Nemesis. It's just too much of a pain in the ass. I see that there are two more boss fights with Nemesis coming up after this, in which he will be an even bigger pain in the ass. I'm probably going to stop. I am enjoying parts of the game, but it's just not my cup of tea overall.

Last edited:

captainpat

Playing Tunic. Visuals and music are beautiful. Not a huge fan of the souls like combat but it quickly becomes manageable after you've upgraded some stats. Also I think the game relies way too much on the fact that it has an angled isometric view so most of the "puzzle" is just not being able to see hidden paths because of the camera angle. There aren't your traditional zelda like puzzles. but overall good time so far and solid 8/10.

LordCBH

The Assassin’s Creed Shadows reveal made me really want to play my favorite entry in the series again, Assassin’s Creed Origins.

Been probably 4-5 years since I’ve played this one, so I was very pleasantly surprised when the game icon on my Xbox had the X|S badge on the game icon when it finished installing. Guessing Ubi did an update on this one at some point. But it looks and runs fantastic. Ended up playing it for probably 5 or 6 hours doing quests and rediscovering the beauty of the ancient Egypt deserts.

I will say one annoying thing is getting dlc quest pop ups as soon as you leave Tutorialville. Thanks for telling me of the level 47 quest when I’m level 6.

The Assassin’s Creed Shadows reveal made me really want to play my favorite entry in the series again, Assassin’s Creed Origins.

Been probably 4-5 years since I’ve played this one, so I was very pleasantly surprised when the game icon on my Xbox had the X|S badge on the game icon when it finished installing. Guessing Ubi did an update on this one at some point. But it looks and runs fantastic. Ended up playing it for probably 5 or 6 hours doing quests and rediscovering the beauty of the ancient Egypt deserts.

I will say one annoying thing is getting dlc quest pop ups as soon as you leave Tutorialville. Thanks for telling me of the level 47 quest when I’m level 6.
FYI every AC is on sale on Xbox currently. I think everything is under $10.

LordCBH

FYI every AC is on sale on Xbox currently. I think everything is under $10.

I tend to go for discs, and thankfully all the ones I’m missing are super cheap now too! Picked up the Valhalla steelbook about 3 weeks ago for $4. Looks really nice next to the Origins and Odyssey ones on the shelf, even though Valhalla is probably my least favorite entry other than Syndicate. Good lookin out though!

Playing Tunic. Visuals and music are beautiful. Not a huge fan of the souls like combat but it quickly becomes manageable after you've upgraded some stats. Also I think the game relies way too much on the fact that it has an angled isometric view so most of the "puzzle" is just not being able to see hidden paths because of the camera angle. There aren't your traditional zelda like puzzles. but overall good time so far and solid 8/10.

Might play Tunic after I finish Disco Elysium. Heard many great things about it, not thrilled to hear about the camera angles obscuring paths though. How far are you in?

Tales of vesperia on the switch. Never played it before, but I hear its one of the Fan favourites so it has to be good right.
It's great, but it's also the last "old school" game in the series and has its fair share of issues.

Combat is some of the best (hot take, I still think it's better than Graces), but it introduces all of its mechanics at a snail's pace; you're super limited at the start of the game (can't even back-jump ffs), end-game and NG+ get pretty insane though.
Characters are all interesting, both game- and personality-wise, but the English localization makes some of them a lot more bitchy and annoying than the original script and VA.
Almost everything not part of the main quest is missable and very time-sensitive. A full guide is pretty much mandatory if you want to 100% the game (well, you're playing on the Switch, so no achievements anyway).
That one fucking boss. You'll know it when you reach it.
Really great soundtrack.

Fabieter

It's great, but it's also the last "old school" game in the series and has its fair share of issues.

Combat is some of the best (hot take, I still think it's better than Graces), but it introduces all of its mechanics at a snail's pace; you're super limited at the start of the game (can't even back-jump ffs), end-game and NG+ get pretty insane though.
Characters are all interesting, both game- and personality-wise, but the English localization makes some of them a lot more bitchy and annoying than the original script and VA.
Almost everything not part of the main quest is missable and very time-sensitive. A full guide is pretty much mandatory if you want to 100% the game (well, you're playing on the Switch, so no achievements anyway).
That one fucking boss. You'll know it when you reach it.
Really great soundtrack.

Yea still super early I just hit the underground omy out with the princess but I really like what I played so far. So yuri isn't that edgy in the original va? Oh in that case it was a good idea to start on switch. Playing with a guide right away burns me on games most of the time. I will reach out to you if I get to that one boss. Is it far in. Iam planning to do symphonia next if it sticks with me.

Yea still super early I just hit the underground omy out with the princess but I really like what I played so far. So yuri isn't that edgy in the original va? Oh in that case it was a good idea to start on switch. Playing with a guide right away burns me on games most of the time. I will reach out to you if I get to that one boss. Is it far in. Iam planning to do symphonia next if it sticks with me.
I think it is the... third boss? I didn't have an issue with him since I always tend to grind and over-level in JRPGs, but it is known as a road block for many players, especially if you try to do its "secret mission".

Last edited:

Fredrik

qCEuTOd.jpeg

Playing Returnal on PC, with Samus mods. Loving it! It’s probably my all-time favorite Sony game. Not a fan of the roguelike gameplay, it can be incredibly punishing, but once you get a good cycle and maybe have an astronaut and use the reconstructor it’s as solid as a 10/10 can be from my perspective.

stn

Same thing the last while: Stellar Blade (PS5) as my main game, WWE 2K23 (XSX) for the achievements cleanup. I don't play much per week so it takes me forever to complete games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finished Subnautica recently, loved it. Finished Tunic this week, loved it too (although some of the puzzles were beyond cryptic, and I did cheat to get the plat).

Now I think I'll be giving Deliver Us Mars a go. Really enjoyed The Moon. Or maybe Subnautica BZ.

Top Bottom