• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should be the NX's controller?

Brickhunt

The NX console has some challenged ahead of it, but I feel that something just as important as it's specifications and games is the main controller input. It made a difference for the Wii and the Wii U, on the opposing spectres.

Nintendo could go with the next iteration of the Gamepad, but I feel that betting on it, after it failed to drive sales for the Wii U and very few games that actually used it well. I think this concept dies with the Wii U, although it may be more viable in the future.

Nintendo could go conservative and bet on a tradition controller, like an improved Wii U Pro Controller, and I'm sure many gamers would be very glad for this, but I feel this choice doesn't bring really new to the table and it also places a very urge burden on the NX to be a powerhouse console in order to compete against PS4 and the Xbox One. Not to mention it may be obsolete by the time their next iterations appear in the market.

A third possibility, in my opinion, would be Nintendo revisiting the Wiimote & Nunchaku design with an redesigned controller, like a Wii U Pro Controller split in the middle with IR pointing in both ends. The idea is revisiting the motion controls that made the Wii a success in first place while correcting the design flaws that made it not as viable as a pro controller.

When Nintendo dropped the Wiimote for the Gamepad, it killed motion sensoring games in my opinion. Sure it may still support the Wiimote, but not as a main controller, which is a reason why Wii Sport Club didn't catch at all. With Microsoft dropping the Kinect as main controller and Sony not even bothering, just going with basic "waggle" motion control. I feel the market for motion controls is becoming a blue ocean again. It may not capture dat massive casual audience like what happened to the Wii, that was once in a lifetime lightining in a bottle, but I can't believe that whole market was just captured by mobile games.

Regardless of Nintendo's choice, I feel that the NX console will need a gimmick to stand up to PS4 and XOne and their eventual sucessors. Also, I feel that Nintendo can't afford to bet on an expensive gimmick like the GamePad again, it needs to be cheaper enough to allow Nintendo to drive more resources into power. I don't think the NX needs to be an absolute powerhouse, but I do feel it needs to be viable for porting/cross-porting, otherwise, third parties won't jump in at all.

barik

GameCube_controller.png

just slightly update this, please

Just a normal controller, either a slightly bigger ds4 or an xbone controller. I wouldn't mind if they just made their pro controller a bit better.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U Pro controller with analogue triggers.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Something completely different, so that developers who learn to develop for it won't be able to use that knowledge anywhere else. Ideally, the NX controller will also making porting games to/from the system expensive and difficult.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Traditional controller philosophy due to the versatility in games that can be played but with gyro + back buttons + split.

MCN

Banned
It saddens me that people want the same cobbled-together shit that we've had for the past 15-20 years.

The NX console has some challenged ahead of it, but I feel that something just as important as it's specifications and games is the main controller input. It made a difference for the Wii and the Wii U, on the opposing spectres.

Nintendo could go with the next iteration of the Gamepad, but I feel that betting on it, after it failed to drive sales for the Wii U and very few games that actually used it well. I think this concept dies with the Wii U, although it may be more viable in the future.

Nintendo could go conservative and bet on a tradition controller, like an improved Wii U Pro Controller, and I'm sure many gamers would be very glad for this, but I feel this choice doesn't bring really new to the table and it also places a very urge burden on the NX to be a powerhouse console in order to compete against PS4 and the Xbox One. Not to mention it may be obsolete by the time their next iterations appear in the market.

A third possibility, in my opinion, would be Nintendo revisiting the Wiimote & Nunchaku design with an redesigned controller, like a Wii U Pro Controller split in the middle with IR pointing in both ends. The idea is revisiting the motion controls that made the Wii a success in first place while correcting the design flaws that made it not as viable as a pro controller.

When Nintendo dropped the Wiimote for the Gamepad, it killed motion sensoring games in my opinion. Sure it may still support the Wiimote, but not as a main controller, which is a reason why Wii Sport Club didn't catch at all. With Microsoft dropping the Kinect as main controller and Sony not even bothering, just going with basic "waggle" motion control. I feel the market for motion controls is becoming a blue ocean again. It may not capture dat massive casual audience like what happened to the Wii, that was once in a lifetime lightining in a bottle, but I can't believe that whole market was just captured by mobile games.

Regardless of Nintendo's choice, I feel that the NX console will need a gimmick to stand up to PS4 and XOne and their eventual sucessors. Also, I feel that Nintendo can't afford to bet on an expensive gimmick like the GamePad again, it needs to be cheaper enough to allow Nintendo to drive more resources into power. I don't think the NX needs to be an absolute powerhouse, but I do feel it needs to be viable for porting/cross-porting, otherwise, third parties won't jump in at all.
You forgot motion controls are back in force with VR.

Tyipical Dual Analog Thumbstick controller has its days numbered. A new way to point and aim will substitute it in some years.

Cleve

Something more in line with the market standard like the pro controller. IF they want to innovate with wheels on the shoulders that's fine, but not another gamepad like device that has you taking your hands way off the controls to press on.

Darkangel

They should just have a completely normal controller for once.

7115A2m702L._SX522_.jpg

Make it like the Wii U Pro controller, only with analog triggers and a gamecube stick layout.

If they want to innovate, why not try adding a scroll wheel to the controller?

mouse-scroll-wheel.jpg

You could place in on the bottom and use it with your middle finger or something.

TheMoon

You forgot motion controls are back in force with VR.

Not just that. Motion controls never left. They're in everything. Mobile systems, PS4 (PS Eye + Light Bar), Xbox One (Kinect), Wii U GamePad, 3DS, Vita. All systems have a variation of them built in.

7115A2m702L._SX522_.jpg

Make it like the Wii U Pro controller, only with analog triggers and a gamecube stick layout.

mouse-scroll-wheel.jpg

You could place in on the bottom and use it with your middle finger or something.

So exactly the thing they patented a short while ago? :)

Devil

Since the games will likely have to be playable on a portable machine as well, it will probably a rather usual controller.

I'd like to see a heavily improved Pro Controller. Ergonomics of the shell itself and battery life are great. But shoulder buttons, rumble, the too low position of ABXY, the front plastic cover and lack of any kind of nice gimmick/innovation (such as the touchpad, share button, feedback triggers etc) like the current Pro Controller would be disappointing for the main controller of the next console.

They should just make a GunCon 2 required, fuck it. Maybe sell an adapter to let you use the one with the dual thumbsticks, but you have to have a GunCon. Those things were rad as hell.

Beats the hell out of a mini-tablet or a waggle stick.

HeySeuss

7115A2m702L._SX522_.jpg

mouse-scroll-wheel.jpg

I think one of their recent patents had a scroll wheel in the triggers.

On topic, I think it'll be a WiiU controller that will be portable as well. Maybe more streamlined and compact though. And the WiiU pro controllers will work as well. I would guess that the pro type controllers would be the main input this time though, with the handheld being a secondary input.

I'd interpreted the rumors as pointing to a Gamepad + DS convergence. That is, the controller for the NX home console would be the NX portable console.

They should just make a GunCon 2 required, fuck it. Maybe sell an adapter to let you use the one with the dual thumbsticks, but you have to have a GunCon. Those things were rad as hell.

Beats the hell out of a mini-tablet or a waggle stick.

Not to mention, you can pistol whip anyone who makes snarky comments while using it.

I'd interpreted the rumors as pointing to a Gamepad + DS convergence. That is, the controller for the NX home console would be the NX portable console.

That was the impression I got from almost everything I read.

Red Devil

It saddens me that people want the same cobbled-together shit that we've had for the past 15-20 years.

Sure, the controller must be the same thing but hey at least in game gimmicks like regenerating health are still somewhat new(over a decade old sure).

Either Wii U GamePad or Wii U Pro Controller with no built-in battery.

BadWolf

Something that doesn't force a high price on the console for years would be nice (if it's just a console).

If it's a console/handheld hybrid then they have more room to experiment.

Not just that. Motion controls never left. They're in everything. Mobile systems, PS4 (PS Eye + Light Bar), Xbox One (Kinect), Wii U GamePad, 3DS, Vita. All systems have a variation of them built in.
You don't need to tell me they never left. XD

However, now we' ll actually see R&D and resources in general poured into software that takes advanatage of the capabilities of motion controls. Not even the first iteration of the Wii Remote was fully exploited. The main company doing significant work in the area was NIntendo. Just look at how when better technologies were released (Kinect/Move) the software just replicated experiences the Wii did before withouth much innovation above it.

Rvaisse

The WiiU Pro controller with scrollable and clickable wheels( With force feedback) instead of L/R buttons for NX home, and a gyro inside.
NX handeld with touchscreen(including the LR wheels too) and/or mobile being also an option for 2nd screen experiences.

awake

I'd take the Pro Controller and if you're going to add weird stuff like motion control, go for it as option, not necessity.

JP

I would absolutely love for Nintendo to learn from their classic controls and have something that is an evolution of the SNES, Gamecube and N64 controllers.

Innovation is pointless to me if it doesn't improve things so I'd really rather the first thing Nintendo did was to throw anything that relates to their Wii and Wii U controllers in the bin.

Neither were really for me and that ties in somewhat with the consoles they came with. Although they both had some games that I like these two consoles felt far less like they were made for me than any of Nintendo's other consoles and they rarely for used in my house.

I think Nintendo are going to have to really impress me to convince me to buy their next console as their last two consoles haven't really been for me.

ALSO:
Analogue triggers and shoulder buttons are need to be on the new controller.

I'm not very fond of scroll wheels. I'm accustomed to touchscreen and the 2 fingers on the touchpad by now.

If the bumpers were touchpads though that could be interesting.

TheMoon

You don't need to tell me they never left. XD

However, now we' ll actually see R&D and resources in general poured into software that takes advanatage of the capabilities of motion controls. Not even the first iteration of the Wii Remote was fully exploited. The main company doing significant work in the area was NIntendo. Just look at how when better technologies were released (Kinect/Move) the software just replicated experiences the Wii did before withouth much innovation above it.

Was just trying to add to your post, not tell you specifically. :D

VariantX

Gyros, rumble, and bring back the analog triggers the GameCube had. Those things were super comfortable to hold. And a much longer life than the PS4 controller and hopefully, good and consistent build quality.

Personally? Bundle the console with a standard controller with all the needed features (including analog triggers ala GC and such), and the handheld will be the other main controller sold on its own or in a special bundle of both the console and the handheld for a discount.

That's my thought.

Also, please make the standard controller close to the GC's layout; stick placement and form (with a proper stick in place of the C-Stick for ease).

Not crazy about symmetrical sticks, whether their on top or the bottom of the controller. But if they had to be, keep them below ala the dualshock and the Wii Classic Controller Pro, the top ones on the Wii U Pro are awkward IMO.

Also make it a rechargeable one again, but that's expected anyway, make sure it's got good battery, but don't make it overly expensive (still uber cheaper than the GamePad anyway I'm sure.

I don't mind if they made a wired option in the box but sold a wireless option in stores for those who need it, how much do they differ in cost? I just want them to focus on the console if they're still keeping costs down, rather than add fluff at the expensive of power and such.

Edit: Here's a good mock-up:

uSJy3d1.jpg

Roshin

I think it's more about what people *don't* want, really.

I want a controller that's as functional and easy to use as a DS4 or Xbox controller. If they can merge that with some clever ideas, then great.

PSOreo

If it turns out to be a handheld/home conse hybrid it'll most likely be another touchscreen type controller. They should go for a more traditional one though.

TheMoon

I would absolutely love for Nintendo to learn from their classic controls and have something that is an evolution of the SNES, Gamecube and N64 controllers.

Innovation is pointless to me if it doesn't improve things so I'd really rather the first thing Nintendo did was to throw anything that relates to their Wii and Wii U controllers in the bin.

Neither were really for me and that ties in somewhat with the consoles they came with. Although they both had some games that I like these two consoles felt far less like they were made for me than any of Nintendo's other consoles and they rarely for used in my house.

I think Nintendo are going to have to really impress me to convince me to buy their next console as their last two consoles haven't really been for me.

ALSO:
Analogue triggers and shoulder buttons are need to be on the new controller.

The Wii U GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller were exactly what you described in the beginning. The Wii U Pro Controller is a SNES controller with analog sticks and grips, the GamePad is the exact same thing plus a screen in the middle. Simple, standard controllers layouts.

Top Bottom