• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

Seriously, though. Are we expecting any NX Platform info that could be added to the OP from the meeting?
Yes I fully expect investors to ask about the NX and kimishima to answer with some vague statements that gaf will then discuss every possible and impossible meaning of.

thefro

Seriously, though. Are we expecting any NX Platform info that could be added to the OP from the meeting?

fairly good chance we either get legit NX information announced and/or more specific timing as to when the NX will be revealed.

Surely investors will ask about it as well, even if we just get vague statements in Nintendo's presentation.

Guys, they obviously need such big meeting halls because they will show off some VR/AR NX stuff that leaves Hololens and all VR headsets lacking!
The previous meetings in some bigger locations were just for checking the right size for the big announcement!

Don't believe me, i'm just joking. And i stop, promise. ... I'd really love to have some more infos soon.

So how to pronounce it?

N. X.
Nex
or Nix
Calling it the Nintendo Nix would be a rather bad, but funny name in german speaking countries. "Nix" is some slang-ish word for nothing, so it would be the "Nintendo Nothing" or "Nintendo Nada" over here. ^^

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rösti;192852590 said:
Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Hotel New Otani Tokyo (likely in the Tsuru banquet hall)

t1454461200z1.png

TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Tsuru banquet hall:

tsururfsnm.png

Hero of Legend, feel free to include this in the OP if you like.

Shame Nintendo doesn't offer webcasts of these presentations. Sometimes other firms film their events, but it's not common.

We better get something out of that. A date for the NX reveal, SOMETHING.

Neoxon

fairly good chance we either get legit NX information announced and/or more specific timing as to when the NX will be revealed.

Surely investors will ask about it as well, even if we just get vague statements in Nintendo's presentation.
I just have a bad feeling that Nintendo will just say "We will not be answering any NX-related questions at this time" before the meeting starts.

The Lamp

Looking through the info in the OP, I just can't find a reason to be excited this time, unlike previous Nintendo releases. Nintendo is just plain bad at delivering ambitious promises for UI software and online networking, so I just don't have any faith left to give for their ambitious endeavors in that space. Furthermore, I'm left cynical that this platform, in its hopes to achieve more parity between console and handheld, will be technologically underwhelming even compared to this generation. I don't feel like buying a new console that can barely do what my PS4 does. The tipping factor would be the games, but does Nintendo even have any good will left over for third parties at this point? They are hardly releasing good first party titles anymore besides Smash, Mario, and Zelda, and it might be ages before those land on the NX. At least Xenoblade made it out by December. I'm also finding their newest controller innovations just obnoxious. The gamepad had major potential but it peaked in innovative usage at launch with Nintendoland (and maybe Mario Party 10, although that was AWFUL).

It's just not a hopeful situation. Hope they can prove otherwise at E3, but right now none of my mental gaming real estate is devoted to thinking about whatever the fuck Nintendo is doing in the strategic shambles left behind after Iwata's passing and them releasing the (mostly) garbage first party games they did this past year in complete silence.

Neoxon

Looking through the info in the OP, I just can't find a reason to be excited this time, unlike previous Nintendo releases. Nintendo is just plain bad at delivering ambitious promises for UI software and online networking, so I just don't have any faith left to give for their ambitious endeavors in that space. Furthermore, I'm left cynical that this platform, in its hopes to achieve more parity between console and handheld, will be technologically underwhelming even compared to this generation. I don't feel like buying a new console that can barely do what my PS4 does. The tipping factor would be the games, but does Nintendo even have any good will left over for third parties at this point? They are hardly releasing good first party titles anymore besides Smash, Mario, and Zelda, and it might be ages before those land on the NX. At least Xenoblade made it out by December.

It's just not a hopeful situation. Hope they can prove otherwise at E3, but right now none of my mental gaming real estate is devoted to thinking about whatever the fuck Nintendo is doing in the strategic shambles left behind after Iwata's passing and them releasing the (mostly) garbage first party games they did this past year in complete silence.
A major reason for the software droughts was the fact that Nintendo's focus was split between consoles & handhelds as separate platforms. It's clear now that Nintendo's no longer capable of splitting their focus. And even then, we still got the likes of Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade X, & Super Mario Maker last year for the Wii U. Though sadly, nothing noteworthy comes to mind beyond remakes as far as Nintendo's output last year for the 3DS (but again, split focus), though I may have missed a few. 2015 was more-or-less a transitional year, with Nintendo moving away from the Wii U & 3DS in preparation for the NX Platform. While the transition was mostly not pretty, it's now clear what basket Nintendo has their eggs in. As for the silence, that mostly has to do with Iwata's passing. And even then, they got back to doing Nintendo Directs as of November.

AdanVC

I just have a bad feeling that Nintendo will just say "We will not be answering any NX-related questions at this time" before the meeting starts.

Now I'm gonna be so mad if the Investors Meeting begins and right away the first thing Kimi says is exactly that. If that happens then it is more possible the console is simply not ready yet or that at least will not release this year. Of course we're not expecting a full blowout of info at the meeting but a glimpse. A glimpse of hope to be hyped god damn

The Lamp

Nintendo is not working alone on their online services. You are one year late.

I still don't have faith. I'm pretty sure I remember them hyping their online services for like the past two console generations. Talk is cheap. We will see how it actually implements.

Vena

I still don't have faith. I'm pretty sure I remember them hyping their online services for like the past two console generations. Talk is cheap. We will see how it actually implements.

They most certainly did not hype it (online functionality) up for the Wii, in fact they openly considered it unnecessary.

Oersted

Things have changed. Nintendo now works with others, you are now bitter. While understandable, bitterness makes a bad source.

Peterc

I was thinking about the following.
Isn't it possible that this year the NX handheld will be announced with 900p and 60fps.
And next year the console will be announced that ofcourse is more powerfull?

For a handheld compared to xbox one, is 900p and 60fps really not bad.

On the other hand, they could release a console with 900p for a good price.
For the ones that wants high end gfx, can buy an addon that you can add to the console that makes the console 1080p or even better.

Hoo-doo

Banned
A major reason for the software droughts was the fact that Nintendo's focus was split between consoles & handhelds as separate platforms. It's clear now that Nintendo's no longer capable of splitting their focus. And even then, we still got the likes of Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade X, & Super Mario Maker last year for the Wii U. Though sadly, nothing noteworthy comes to mind beyond remakes as far as Nintendo's output last year for the 3DS (but again, split focus), though I may have missed a few. 2015 was more-or-less a transitional year, with Nintendo moving away from the Wii U & 3DS in preparation for the NX Platform. While the transition was mostly not pretty, it's now clear what basket Nintendo has their eggs in. As for the silence, that mostly has to do with Iwata's passing. And even then, they got back to doing Nintendo Directs as of November.

You're good at rationalizing and putting down your thoughts in a convincing way, but realize that all you are doing is typing down guesswork and wishful thinking.

Nintendo suddenly shifting to one device won't be a magic wand that solves all their issues. It's irrational to think so.

Pokemaniac

I was thinking about the following.
Isn't it possible that this year the NX handheld will be announced with 900p and 60fps.
And next year the console will be announced that ofcourse is more powerfull?

For a handheld compared to xbox one, is 900p and 60fps really not bad.

On the other hand, they could release a console with 900p for a good price.
For the ones that wants high end gfx, can buy an addon that you can add to the console that makes the console 1080p or even better.

First, 60fps is not a spec. Having a 60hz screen would be, but that really wouldn't be different than any of the previous handhelds.

Second, 900p would be overly high res for a handheld, since pushing decent graphics at that res would put undue strain on the battery. A handheld Xbone isn't terribly realistic.

Also, 900p is not a spec for a console. They don't have screens (The controller might, but that's a different discussion). It is a design compromise made by developers.

That rumor that mentioned 900p/60fps was rather clearly just speculation. It likely had no basis in fact.

Rösti;192965579 said:
or else we go Valve on NoA:

valveoakcy.png

I wonder if NoA has ever encountered something like that. I don't remember any reports about such anyway.

Reggie literally murdered a Mother 3 heckler live at E3, no one will try that shit with NoA again

Neoxon

You're good at rationalizing and putting down your thoughts in a convincing way, but realize that all you are doing is typing down guesswork and wishful thinking.

Nintendo suddenly shifting to one device won't be a magic wand that solves all their issues. It's irrational to think so.
I never said one device, that was shot down. Just one platform.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Due to the avoidance of ichnograms, I've been able to illapse on a few intricate resources. I cannot in terms of things to come promise any copacetic results, but with a little bit of sanguineness I might be able to corrade a few seeds prosperous to our cause, so we may deliciate. Just have some patience; I would not fancy the dragon's igniparous emanations.

Monday.

DKHF

Rösti;193035983 said:
Due to the avoidance of ichnograms, I've been able to illapse on a few intricate resources. I cannot in terms of things to come promise any copacetic results, but with a little bit of sanguineness I might be able to corrade a few seeds prosperous to our cause, so we may deliciate. Just have some patience; I would not fancy the dragon's igniparous emanations.

Monday.

Nice, I'm looking forward to it.

doop_

Banned
Rösti;193035983 said:

Monday.
Wut.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;193035983 said:

Monday.
All I gathered from your post was that we'd be all going to New Otani, Tokyo.

Rosti has illuminated the world of patents for me and now he is expanding my vocabulary! I'll admit, I searched for a couple of those words and even Google was like, "Did you mean...?"

Second, 900p would be overly high res for a handheld, since pushing decent graphics at that res would put undue strain on the battery.

While I don't think Nintendo would go as high as 900p, there's been several advances made to the performance per watt efficiency for mobile processors. Xiaomi in particular just released a $100 (no contract) Snapdragon 652-based phone that not only has a GPU that is in an entire different class from the Vita's GPU (More than 5x faster looking at offscreen 1080p TRex benches, which is pushing 4x the pixels of a Vita), but also has an identical TDP (Vita TV draws 2.8W max, 652-based phone with radio and screen are required to have a TDP of <4W).

Theres some wriggle room there for improvement in resolution. But yeah, Nintendo would have to invest cash to get a Snapdragon 810 equivalent or better to best the PS360, let alone pull some magic to try to rival XOne in a portable.

Neoxon

While I don't think Nintendo would go as high as 900p, there's been several advances made to the performance per watt efficiency for mobile processors. Xiaomi in particular just released a $100 (no contract) Snapdragon 652-based phone that not only has a GPU that is in an entire different class from the Vita's GPU (More than 5x faster looking at offscreen 1080p TRex benches, which is pushing 4x the pixels of a Vita), but also has an identical TDP (Vita TV draws 2.8W max, 652-based phone with radio and screen are required to have a TDP of <4W).

Theres some wriggle room there for improvement in resolution. But yeah, Nintendo would have to invest cash to get a Snapdragon 810 equivalent or better to really rival PS360, let alone pull some magic to try to rival XOne in a portable.
But aren't the NX Platform parts coming from AMD? I was of the thought that the Snapdragon processors came from elsewhere.

Rösti;193035983 said:

Monday.

Senf.

Zeta Oni

I think it seems like this person is gonna try to convince some of the people they know who "know stuff" to give them information, and hopefully it will pan out. So be patient and check back monday.

I say think cause "ichnograms" and "dragon's igniparous emanations" are still kinda throwing me for a loop.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
But aren't the NX Platform parts coming from AMD? I was of the thought that the Snapdragon processors came from elsewhere.

I don't know how reliable that AMD rumor is. I cannot track down the original source. And those websites who are reporting it do not seem to have a good track record. It all basically seems to boil down to statements from AMD that they are working on two semi-custom designs (one x86, one ARM) for undisclosed customers. Connections to Nintendo seem to be conjecture.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yeah, SnapDragon is designed by Qualcomm.

AMD is pitiful when it comes to power consumption, which is why I doubt anyone would use them for a handheld.
Ironically, it was AMD's IP and engineers that QCOMM are currently enjoying.

ps: I'm betting on a QCOMM NX hh.

I can't recall the mood on NeoGAF when details of the Wii U were emerging, was there genuine hype or scepticism?

Well for a long time we knew very little, and GAF's default reaction is hype, sooo...

Once we heard a few 'details' (particularly about the systems alleged power) hype grew some more... Until it became apparent this reports were innacurate, and we were told that expectations should be lowered. It was a bit of a bell curve.

So how to pronounce it?

N. X.
Nex
or Nix

Annex.

"As a noun, an annex is part of a building or an addition to a main structure, or it can be an attachment, as in "an annex to the current plans." When used as a verb, the word means something a little different."

"To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing."

"To attach, append, or add, especially to something larger or more important."

Sadist

I realized I know shit about English language
Nah, you are constanly expanding your vocabulary. iknowsomeofthesewords.gif

I can't recall the mood on NeoGAF when details of the Wii U were emerging, was there genuine hype or scepticism?
Basicly this;

1) Nintendo is releasing a new console! It's HD! Yeeeeaaaah
2) A screen in the controller? How does this even work?
3) How powerful is it? More power than 360/PS3? Yes. LIKE OMG HYPE
4) Lots of hype, E3 time happens, lol games are just ports
5) The WUST stuff happens. Teasing, out of control hype, broken dreams, reality
6) Wii U release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom