• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

http://gonintendo.com/stories/250739-gamestop-purchase-intent-survey-mentions-nx-asks-if-you-plan-to

This just popped up. GameStop is having their own survey and they reference NX, and even ask if you plan to buy one within 12 months.

For what it's worth, GAME (GameStop's equivalent in the UK) opened up soft pre-orders for the NX very recently, i.e. registration of interest; priority pre-ordering when available.

Plus, everything I said about in the other thread about GfK not knowing anything about Nintendo's plans? Well, yeah, GameStop definitely would.

For what it's worth, GAME (GameStop's equivalent in the UK) opened up soft pre-orders for the NX very recently, i.e. registration of interest; priority pre-ordering when available.

Plus, everything I said about in the other thread about GfK not knowing anything about Nintendo's plans? Well, yeah, GameStop definitely would.

Who says yes in this surveys outside the hardcore of the hardcore and scalpers ?

iMax

Who says yes in this surveys outside the hardcore of the hardcore and scalpers ?

Nobody. But the hardcore are a big customer base for them, so that's why they're surveying them. That's also the reason there's an addendum there, "...or a new Nintendo console".

SalvaPot

You know what I think is the most interesting and exciting aspect of the NX in my opinion? (And I was thinking about making a thread about it with quotes and stuff).

Nintendo now has one generation of experience with HD.

So does his main teams and partners. In the next generation they will likely stop playing it safe and try to be creative with what HD can provide, and Zelda U might be its first showcase. Remember when Nintendo was in the frontline for new Graphical Experiences? We got masterclasses like Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Smash Melee and Luigi's Mansion, games that still look decent (And even beautiful) for today´s standards.

Illucio

Banned
So NX is a platform like Android that can run on all Nintendo devices to handle and play the same games on it's platform?
(I can play games on my older Galaxy and then just redownload them when I get a newer Galaxy S6. But my older Galaxy can't run a lot of the newer games like the S6 can.)

So Nintendo can keep pumping out hardware each year, but the NX1 can still run the same things as the NX-2 can, but as the years go on the NX won't be able to do the same things the NX-5 can because the technology becomes outdated or lacks certain new features the newer NX-5 can.

NX devices can be handheld or like a home console, this is why handheld and console gaming is now combined because all games are being made the same way for the same platform. (Unified content so Nintendo games don't have to be made separately for each console/handheld, and there is no drought of games because both the handheld and console teams are making games for NX.)

Buying a game on one device and you definitely own the same game across all platforms of the NX.
So you have a iPod but bought a new iPhone 7, you can transfer all of your content to your new iPhone because you own the content. And this still reigns true 5 years from then when your moving things from iPhone 7 to iPhone 10.

Nintendo is tracking all game purchases via account and the new reward system is tied to your universal Nintendo account. With additional points doing various other tasks.

Pif

Banned
So NX is a platform like Android that can run on all Nintendo devices to handle and play the same games on it's platform?
(I can play games on my older Galaxy and then just redownload them when I get a newer Galaxy S6. But my older Galaxy can't run a lot of the newer games like the S6 can.)

So Nintendo can keep pumping out hardware each year, but the NX1 can still run the same things as the NX-2 can, but as the years go on the NX won't be able to do the same things the NX-5 can because the technology becomes outdated or lacks certain new features the newer NX-5 can.

NX devices can be handheld or like a home console, this is why handheld and console gaming is now combined because all games are being made the same way for the same platform. (Unified content so Nintendo games don't have to be made separately for each console/handheld, and there is no drought of games because both the handheld and console teams are making games for NX.)

Buying a game on one device and you definitely own the same game across all platforms of the NX.
So you have a iPod but bought a new iPhone 7, you can transfer all of your content to your new iPhone because you own the content. And this still reigns true 5 years from then when your moving things from iPhone 7 to iPhone 10.

Nintendo is tracking all game purchases via account and the new reward system is tied to your universal Nintendo account. With additional points doing various other tasks.

This is what I want. Not gonna happen though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Probably this question is futile, but when they did the same for PS4 and One, how much time passed between the start of soft-preorders / retailers surveys and the official announcement? Or were those consoles already announced when such initiatives started?

Thraktor

Well, mine wasn't either ; )

QCOM is a turn-key phone chipset provider - and that is a major advantage of their business - here we completely agree. But that's not their sole advantage in the industry. QCOM are also one of the few ARM architecture licensees who can (and traditionally do) make better uarchs than ARM themselves. And one of the top-four mobile GPU IP holders (Rogue/Tegra/Mali/Adreno). They make a myriad of Adreno + A53/A57/Kryo SoCs as we speak. On all relevant fabnodes - apparently the mobile GPU landscape might change come Polaris and Samsung GF's 14LPP. But QCOM would be among the top candidates for a semi-custom hh SoC design from the POV of a platform holder, nintendo or otherwise.

Their custom ARM cores are certainly competitive, but the only announced Kryo-based chip is the 14nm 820, and it doesn't seem likely that they'll be providing it on a 28nm process. Krait is an option, and while it was a good choice against ARM's 32-bit designs, Qualcomm have dropped it in favour of stock ARMv8 cores in their 28nm 600 series, so I'm not sure there's any reason it would be used here.

In the event that AMD are providing only the home console SoC, then I wouldn't rule out Qualcomm, but I wouldn't see any reason to put them top of the list. In fact, the one option that we're missing out on is that Nintendo licences a suitable ARM core, a GPU design, and whatever other IP they may need, and simply designs the chip in-house. It's not out of the realm of possibility, as the amount of custom IP they'll need is minimal, and it seems to be pretty much what they did with the 3DS (although in that case the CPU and GPU may have been on separate dies?)

Ok, so you're arguing from a GPU ISA-centric POV, I understand. I might have agreed with you if it wasn't for the concessions that nintendo would need to do to achieve that.

It's not just the ISA, although that's where we've got the most readily-available info on the extent of divergence of the architectures. My belief more generally is that, from a developer's point of view, the statement "This technique is efficient on the home console, therefore it should be efficient on the handheld" isn't going to be any more true for Adreno with a GCN home console than it is for, say, Rogue or Mali. And it's the ability for developers to make that statement that I feel is the biggest argument in favour of using the same architecture between console and handheld, even aside from any benefits to Nintendo in simplifying tools development, support, etc.

Well, let's wait and see : )

This is our main issue here. If history has taught us anything, it's that if there's one thing you can predict about Nintendo's hardware design, it's that it's not going to be what you predict!

Regardless of devs willingness to write asm most systems are already moving away from giving direct low level access, instead wrapping it with an intermediate level api. So "much more predictable toolchain behaviour" as you say is exactly why I'd still go for it, predictable performance scaling across multiple performance levels in an otherwise unified platform imo is a must. While an abstracted api layer can ensure compatibility with different uarches, it won't be able to make performance predictable.

Nintendo already showed early eagerness to make use of GPGPU even having picked a for this purpose outdated VLIW based uarch for Wii U, with NERD reportedly working GPGPU related technologies. Iwata mentioned NX would build upon Wii U which I'd expect to refer specifically to the GPU capabilities. Keeping PowerPC and using that on handheld is very unlikely. AMD being involved for offering an x86 based CPU for both form factors imo is even more unlikely, and AMD keeps referring to its plans to eventually offering ARM based solutions as well. So that with the news that AMD got a major design win makes me expect NX' GPU being another result of the long standing partnership with ArtX/ATi/AMD.

Right. My current guess is that NX will be first released as a GCN+ARM based console (potentially additionally including Wii U's 3 core PowerPC for backward compatibility with some platform software bridge so much of the eShop software works on both) and later using the 14nm Polaris shrink for handheld NX and more powerful console revisions which would all be compatible and release in an about yearly fashion similar to Apple practices. If the handheld NX is planned to be released together with the home console NX I don't expect them to be on sale before 2017.

I wouldn't rule this out, except that I wouldn't expect such frequent refreshes (every two years at tops). The only issue with releasing the home console in 2016 and the handheld in 2017 is business more than technology. The 3DS is significantly older than the Wii U, and although the Wii U isn't selling great, it is actually marginally increasing year on year. The 3DS, by comparison, dropped pretty hard last year, and would be barely scraping along in 2017 if they don't replace it until then. With handhelds historically accounting for much more of Nintendo's income, if either device is to land before the other you'd have to expect them to push the handheld out the door first. That means the handheld this year, which means it would most likely have to be 28nm (unless they're willing to take the hit on early 14nm).

We are only talking 28nm nodes or 14nm nodes. Isn't there anything in between that Nintendo could choose from?

There's 20nm, but it's getting very little use outside high-end mobile SoCs, and AMD (who we pretty much know are making an APU for at least one of the NX form-factors) aren't using it at all, jumping straight from 28nm to 14nm.

iMax

Probably this question is futile, but when they did the same for PS4 and One, how much time passed between the start of soft-preorders / retailers surveys and the official announcement? Or were those consoles already announced when such initiatives started?

They usually coincide with the acknowledgement of the systems' existence by their manufacturers, so for PS4 and Xbox One, that was early 2013.

Nintendo, as we know, is in a weird situation with the NX where it both publicly exists and doesn't, so there's not really a 'rule of thumb' to apply here.

AdanVC

This sounds totally rad. This is the kind of surprises we want to see Nintendo! Not gimmicky controllers like shaking da booty with a sensor to make Mario jumpz!

That seems silly to ask a question about a system that no one knows a damn thing about.

Why exactly is that silly? It's just a normal awareness question, most likely followed by relevant set and first choice questions. I can see why Gamestop would be interested into that (or PSVR, for that matter), they just want to get prepared for the next big thing, be it the NX, be it PSVR, both or none of them (or one of the other VR sets).

This survey differs from the more complex conjoint analysis we saw the other day, where you need to name different product specifications and price points to determine an ideal profile of your new product (which is why it's a typical product development approach btw.).

On an unrelated tangent: ARM clusters are of up to 4 cores. Keep that in mind for your forecasts : )
Meaning max 4 cores and not 8?

At 14nm (ergo Polaris) - yes. The crux of the issue is - will nintendo go 14nm. I don't think they will. Ergo Adreno and Rogue will be the better propositions at 28nm.
Is 20nm completely out of the picture with... let's say Skybridge? Also I'm curious if Skybridge's x86/ARM configuration would be beneficial to what Nintendo is trying to accomplish with unifying handheld and console development.

Of course. I was saying that purely in the context of hypothetical cluster configs people would come up with, not how many clusters there'd be.
This probably answered my first question. :p

atbigelow

This is pretty much what I am expecting.

I am also expecting Nintendo to come up with some kind of easy to reference "power scale" for the devices. Sort of a boiled down equivalent to the Windows Experience Index. I think they will want that kind of labelling and scoring in place before the power levels start growing.

Nintendo loves deterministic performance out of their machines. With an ever expanding power ceiling available with this kind of hardware plan, they'll want a way for consumers to know what they can do with it.

We will hit a point (some day/if successful) that a new NX handheld will be able to play the first NX console games.

If that DOESN'T happen, Nintendo will want to make it clear that the NX console will play all NX handheld games as well.

Oersted

They said NX is not a replacement for Wii U and 3DS but something totally new. Same was said about DS replacing GBA, we know the real answer though. Wii U is not a viable business anymore so what they said in regards to NX is PR to squeeze out some more sales.

To my knowledge, no. They have talked about NX as as dedicated game hardware and I believe as something that will exist alongside their other systems. As of now, it has reminded me a lot of how they talked about the DS before it launched (and then replaced the Game Boy).

That said, there are quotes in the OP that talk about absorbing the Wii U hardware, which to me suggests that they were talking about a home console successor. I don't believe the NX name was used at that time, however, so technically, that could be separate.

The thing is, if they didn't intend for the DS to replace the GBA, they wouldn't have included a GBA slot. The DS absorbed the GBA; it was never a completely separate "third pillar," like they suggested. I think they hoped the DS would replace the GBA, but they weren't sure it would happen, so it became a "third pillar" to their investors and the general public.

Quotes, sources mates. They never talked about NX as a third pillar to WiiU/3DS, as far as I remember. And GBA did much better than WiiU.

Ryoku

Meaning max 4 cores and not 8?

Is 20nm completely out of the picture with... let's say Skybridge? Also I'm curious if Skybridge's x86/ARM configuration would be beneficial to what Nintendo is trying to accomplish with unifying handheld and console development.

This probably answered my first question. :p

For reference, PS4 and XBO each have two clusters of four cores each.

For reference, PS4 and XBO each have two clusters of four cores each.
Ahh, didn't realize that. Thank you. Also I realized that Skybridge was cancelled and I missed the memo. :(

I think that, if we are to trust the WSJ sources about "industry-leading chips", they will be going with something customized off of Polaris. Aren't the 28nm chips from 2011?

Thraktor

Ahh, didn't realize that. Thank you. Also I realized that Skybridge was cancelled and I missed the memo. :(

I think that, if we are to trust the WSJ sources about "industry-leading chips", they will be going with something customized off of Polaris. Aren't the 28nm chips from 2011?

AMD has been using the 28nm process since 2012, but "industry-leading" isn't all about process nodes. It could be a reference to using the GCN 1.2 graphics architecture which is used in the Fury line, or ARM A72 cores, or maybe even there's some HBM on there. It's a fairly vague term, so it's pretty difficult to read too much into it.

Vena

They usually coincide with the acknowledgement of the systems' existence by their manufacturers, so for PS4 and Xbox One, that was early 2013.

Nintendo, as we know, is in a weird situation with the NX where it both publicly exists and doesn't, so there's not really a 'rule of thumb' to apply here.

At this point, the NX has all the properties of a quantum wavefunction. The more we know about its release, the less we know about what it does. The more we try to figure out what it does or its power, the less we know about when it will release because timelines don't match up.

The moment someone observes it, the wavefunction will collapse and there will be only one form of NX but in the meantime the NX exists as a superposition of an infinite number of states and potentials!

Thusly an example of only just two of its states in a superposition!
RKiGVDx.png

iMax

At this point, the NX has all the properties of a quantum wavefunction. The more we know about its release, the less we know about what it does. The more we try to figure out what it does or its power, the less we know about when it will release because timelines don't match up.

The moment someone observes it, the wavefunction will collapse and there will be only one form of NX but in the meantime the NX exists as a superposition of an infinite number of states and potentials!

I only just now realised that console rumours and speculation is an incredible example of quantum superposition. Amazing.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Amazing.

citizenkaneclap.gif

Brilliant.

AMD has been using the 28nm process since 2012, but "industry-leading" isn't all about process nodes. It could be a reference to using the GCN 1.2 graphics architecture which is used in the Fury line, or ARM A72 cores, or maybe even there's some HBM on there. It's a fairly vague term, so it's pretty difficult to read too much into it.
Hmm, you're right. HBM2 would be awful nice, though. Would something like AMD's Fury be too costly for Nintendo?

This is what I want. Not gonna happen though.
I think that's what they're going for and I think they can get away with the new revision thanks to the console.
If they can't make a game run at a decent frame rate on the portable they don't need to make it exclusive to the console, they can put it on the v2 portable+console to have an established userbase that's big enough to make that game make financial sense.
Here's what we know about the NX after the recent wave of rumors and leaks:

Looking pretty good so far.
A lot of people have posted the same joke a few times and I'm not sure that's exactly accurate. We know it's new hardware, we know that the new systems will share characteristics which allow easy porting of assets between them ("like brothers" or like iOS with iPhone and iPad)
This comes from Iwata which I think should be considered a trusted source.

Jesb

So the big thing for NX will be to have cross compatibility with their other devices. Surely there's gotta be something bigger, some other gimmick to separate themselves from the others. It's not going to have the graphics, a vr presence, or 3rd party support most likely, what is the big gimmick this time?

Then I would be able to play pokemon on a console?

post-35714-andy-dwyer-happy-reaction-gif-vjxg.gif

Pokemaniac

Then I would be able to play pokemon on a console?

post-35714-andy-dwyer-happy-reaction-gif-vjxg.gif

Most likely. If it doesn't happen then it would probably be because either the games are heavily reliant on some Handheld only feature (pretty unlikely) or if there's some flaw in the ecosystem that causes Game Freak to have to expend serious effort to get the games working on the console (also pretty unlikely so long as things are competently designed).

Thraktor

Hmm, you're right. HBM2 would be awful nice, though. Would something like AMD's Fury be too costly for Nintendo?

Fury would be absurdly costly for Nintendo. What I mean is they may be using the same GCN 1.2 architecture, but on a much smaller scale.

Regarding HBM, while they aren't going to be using a single pool of 8GB or so of HBM by any means (again, far too costly), they've historically used split memory pools with a small amount of high-bandwidth, low-latency memory acting as a framebuffer. There's a slim possibility that 1GB or so of HBM may fill this role for the NX.

A lot of people have posted the same joke a few times and I'm not sure that's exactly accurate. We know it's new hardware, we know that the new systems will share characteristics which allow easy porting of assets between them ("like brothers" or like iOS with iPhone and iPad)
This comes from Iwata which I think should be considered a trusted source.

So nothing then?

Nintendo NX: A Theoretical Perspective By DDM

The Nintendo NX, as it is called, has been in pondered by many intellectuals, authors like Vena (2016) and Bitch Pudding (2016), however non of the authors have explored the the theoretical implications of the NX. We must be reflexive in our studies to understand the NX. This post will try to address the theoretical place of the NX, in our studies. The NX exists, we know that from official publications from Nintendo (2015); however, the NX, as a physical object does not exist. As iMax, a Nintendologist, wrote: "Nintendo, as we know, is in a weird situation with the NX where it both publicly exists and doesn't, so there's not really a 'rule of thumb' to apply here.", in other words, the theoretical approach is relatively explored (iMax 2016, Pg. 19). To truly understand the NX, we understand the different approaches of NX studies.

The NX technically does not have a meaning, however, meaning comes from the interpreter . We can not understand the place of the NX, until we understand the the demographics that interpret and speculate. There are three interpreters: the skeptics, the optimists, and the individuals who clam to be indifferent. Each of these views must be studied with relativity, because their views of the NX are naturalized, meaning they seem natural to them.

Each of the different interpretations have implicit and explicit theoretical approaches. To the skeptic, the NX exists, but in a state of lesser being, in other words, the NX is in a state of inferiority. The optimist has the contrasting view, the NX is in the state of existence that is of higher being, inherently superior. The indifferent peoples are less inclined to speculate, therefore the NX stands in a state of metaphysicality. As I stated before, these view seem inherent to to the researchers.

As it stands, the study of NX is in it's infancy, however, reflexive studies like this help establish theoretical bases. The three approach method may seem antiquated, however, it established a common language which will help further the study of NX.

Bibliography:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171059

We know nothing ...

Fury would be absurdly costly for Nintendo. What I mean is they may be using the same GCN 1.2 architecture, but on a much smaller scale.
Ahh yes, sorry I figured that's probably what you meant.

Regarding HBM, while they aren't going to be using a single pool of 8GB or so of HBM by any means (again, far too costly), they've historically used split memory pools with a small amount of high-bandwidth, low-latency memory acting as a framebuffer. There's a slim possibility that 1GB or so of HBM may fill this role for the NX.
So something like 1GB HBM and 8GB of GDDR5/DDR4? Or would they do even more with DDR3? I wonder how much prices have dropped since 2012-13. DDR4 seems the least likely.

Thraktor

So something like 1GB HBM and 8GB of GDDR5/DDR4? Or would they do even more with DDR3? I wonder how much prices have dropped since 2012-13. DDR4 seems the least likely.

Well, likely 1GB of HBM and 8GB of DDR3/DDR4. HBM2 will be available in 1GB stacks at up to 256GB/s bandwidth, which combined with the DDR would provide ample bandwidth for the console's expected performance levels, and although not exactly cheap, I'd be willing to bet that it would be cheaper than going with on-die SRAM, which seems to be the other main option for split memory pools.

Well, likely 1GB of HBM and 8GB of DDR3/DDR4. HBM2 will be available in 1GB stacks at up to 256GB/s bandwidth, which combined with the DDR would provide ample bandwidth for the console's expected performance levels, and although not exactly cheap, I'd be willing to bet that it would be cheaper than going with on-die SRAM, which seems to be the other main option for split memory pools.
Cheaper as opposed to if they were to do 1GB of eSRAM or eDRAM? I'd hope so. HBM2 seems promising, or at least it has a lot of buzz right now. I know next to nothing about this all but it's all too intriguing, so thanks for answering my petty questions. :)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Please allow me to kill this topic.

The reason why most have not understood Nintendo's design of their last few systems and will probably NOT understand the NX, is because you are using the old paradigm.

Adding buttons and making the hardware more powerful, has been the way most companies have approached videogames. It is the way Nintendo did things too. However, starting with the Nintendo DS they decided to make systems under a NEW PARADIGM, which means new values.

Simply making the hardware stronger, and adding buttons or another additional input in NOT going to solve any mystery. Sometimes less is more. Think about that for a minute. Half the people here only want a more powerful hardware, that is the old paradigm. There's no reason for them to go back to red ocean business, even with the failure of the Wii U.

TLZ

Banned
Rösti;193035983 said:
Due to the avoidance of ichnograms, I've been able to illapse on a few intricate resources. I cannot in terms of things to come promise any copacetic results, but with a little bit of sanguineness I might be able to corrade a few seeds prosperous to our cause, so we may deliciate. Just have some patience; I would not fancy the dragon's igniparous emanations.

Monday.

lhqbZtB.png

Didn't work :(

atbigelow

The reason why most have not understood Nintendo's design of their last few systems and will probably NOT understand the NX, is because you are using the old paradigm.

Adding buttons and making the hardware more powerful, has been the way most companies have approached videogames. It is the way Nintendo did things too. However, starting with the Nintendo DS they decided to make systems under a NEW PARADIGM, which means new values.

Simply making the hardware stronger, and adding buttons or another additional input in NOT going to solve any mystery. Sometimes less is more. Think about that for a minute. Half the people here only want a more powerful hardware, that is the old paradigm. There's no reason for them to go back to red ocean business, even with the failure of the Wii U.
Nintendo cannot pretend hardware is not advancing rapidly, regardless of whatever it is you're claiming. Even the New 3DS has a greatly improved CPU over the original models. They didn't have to do that; hell, most people didn't even know.

Make a math equation out of this statement Vena

Vena

Nintendo cannot pretend hardware is not advancing rapidly, regardless of whatever it is you're claiming. Even the New 3DS has a greatly improved CPU over the original models. They didn't have to do that; hell, most people didn't even know.

Pretty sure that was done as a test of sort for Unity and indies, and potentially even internal usage of "bigger" engines to have a playground of sorts to practice on for the next handheld which will, without much doubt, leapfrog the ARM11 MPCore of the 3DS in many ways, not just clockspeed.

Just so long as they don't go dumb and try putting an OLED onto a handheld (no, the Vita's OLED screen is not a good screen for gaming unless you enjoy burn-in), I don't think they're going to somehow skirt technology or spur it. In fact, the boom of mobile devices has made mobile high tech considerably more affordable than before.

What I want is a console that raises up the handheld so I can come home and play Monster Hunter with a big controller, better online, and voice chat.

beril

I still think the extra CPU power was mostly a side effect of the stable 3D (since it has to run a bunch of image recognition stuff at realtime) and not a focus for the New3DS. Though I'm not quite sure what the point of the platform would have been without it since the stable 3D was apparently a somewhat late addition; then again neither did Miyamoto.

Rösti;193035983 said:
Due to the avoidance of ichnograms, I've been able to illapse on a few intricate resources. I cannot in terms of things to come promise any copacetic results, but with a little bit of sanguineness I might be able to corrade a few seeds prosperous to our cause, so we may deliciate. Just have some patience; I would not fancy the dragon's igniparous emanations.

Monday.
You can't promise anything specific, but you may be able to get some information from your sources but the situation demands that you tread lightly? That a dragon (whoever this refers to) will put forth tangible but abstract information?

What I want is a console that raises up the handheld so I can come home and play Monster Hunter with a big controller, better online, and voice chat.

I'm all for this, was hoping for a MH4 crossover game for the Wii U, but that didn't happen would love to play on consoles again even if it's just a higher res port of the handheld version with more features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom