• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would be in a modern Nintendo World Championship?

Boney

Banned
I think it'll be more competitive multiplayer oriented rather than modified single player.

Just a thing of the times really

Edit just realized this thread is going places

It would be pretty cool if one of the games they used in the big on-stage final was an unannounced title. If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't SMB3 first announced during The Wizard? Or was it just heavily promoted during it?

I still think the next 3D Mario is being held for NX launch, but it would be a cool way to announce it if it's a WiiU title.

I do too. 'Mario 64-2' and 'Zelda U' will both be launch titles.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I think it'll be more competitive multiplayer oriented rather than modified single player.

Just a thing of the times really

I think they're wanting this to feel really nostalgic, the logo certainly gives off that vibe. I can't see them deviating from the original formula too much, otherwise it wouldn't be the same format as NWC.

I do wonder if they'll use more than 3 games this time though, or even how they'll be "stitched" together. I assume it was easier to join the games together on the NES, but whatever three or so games they want to use for NWC2015, they may be on entirely different engines. What will they do? Just have three seperate programs/WiiUs running and switch them on the fly?

I can see them having Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker to close it off probably. It'll be crazy if they have some unannounced game on there just as a surprise.

I think they're wanting this to feel really nostalgic, the logo certainly gives off that vibe. I can't see them deviating from the original formula too much, otherwise it wouldn't be the same format as NWC.

I do wonder if they'll use more than 3 games this time though, or even how they'll be "stitched" together. I assume it was easier to join the games together on the NES, but whatever three or so games they want to use for NWC2015, they may be on entirely different engines. What will they do? Just have three seperate programs/WiiUs running and switch them on the fly?

The NES solution was just to slap a certain amount of code from each game onto the same cart and set it up quickly boot each game in succession once each criteria was met. They could do the same for Wii U or 3DS with either a specially coded game card or game disc.

Damn, he's got you on the ropes Gonzo.

Ev7Hl79.png

Tregard

Soothsayer
The NES solution was just to slap a certain amount of code from each game onto the same cart and set it up quickly boot each game in succession once each criteria was met. They could do the same for Wii U or 3DS with either a specially coded game card or game disc.

Aah I see, so hypothetically it would be just as simple now as back then? Would the booting maybe take a little longer? I guess they could load all the games before the player started.

Ideally I'd love for them to make this an eShop download if not a special retail release.

Pandy

I'm thinking they have the supporting tech in place from NES remix to do virtually anything they want with stitching bits of games together into a bespoke disc/downloadable title.

Also, A Wizard is You.

Effect

This thread is all kinds of crazy. I love it. Leave it to a Nintendo announcement to trigger something like this.

Neiteio

Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon

There's your NWC right there

edit: Actually, running through a pre-made Mario Maker course seems possible

Ashodin

Is it the one Reggie introduced at Pizza Hut?

I'm not too keen on my pizza history.

After receiving his degree, Fils-Aimé took a position with Procter & Gamble. Following that, he took a position as Senior Director of National Marketing at Pizza Hut, where he launched the Bigfoot Pizza and The Big New Yorker.

WHAT

I'd like to see 3 classic games, and 3 modern games.

Mario: Lost Levels endurance/speedrun competition.

Zelda 1 dungeon-endurance test.

Metroid endurance test.

---

Mario 3D World Champions Road speedrun competition

Mario Kart and Smash tournaments

iMax

Not sure how OP managed to predict this. It's very, very eerie. Still, massively looking forward to the championships in 2015!

Glix

I was a little kid and got to the second day at the Javits center. Plus they had a metric shit-ton of stuff that wasn't released yet, especially Game Boy stuff.

Good freaking memories.

I choked on day two.

MrBadger

I want them to end it with a Wizard style introduction of a brand new game for the finale. F Zero seems like a good candidate for a competitive tournament

EDIT: Wait this thread was before the video? Dang

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was a little kid and got to the second day at the Javits center. Plus they had a metric shit-ton of stuff that wasn't released yet, especially Game Boy stuff.

Good freaking memories.

I choked on day two.

Have any photos to share from that?

Tregard

Soothsayer
I just realised one of the prizes for the original NWC was a trip to Universal Studios. The same Universal Studios that Nintendo just partnered with!

How cool would it be if (provided they keep NWC running and it's not just a one-off thing) they gave away tickets to the grand opening of "Nintendoland" when that eventually comes around?

iMax

I just realised one of the prizes for the original NWC was a trip to Universal Studios. The same Universal Studios that Nintendo just partnered with!

How cool would it be if (provided they keep NWC running and it's not just a one-off thing) they gave away tickets to the grand opening of "Nintendoland" when that eventually comes around?

Stay tuned for an official announcement from Nintendo in 7 minutes, I guess?

Top Bottom