• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you consider to be the 10 *essential* JRPG's?

poodaddy

Hey OP who definitely isn't German Hops, that list is sound but replace FFVII with the far superior IV, or maybe even V, or maybe even a deflated football if we're just trying to do anything that's more fun than VII, (just joking.....or am I?), and replace Persona 5 with Persona 4.

Also, if ya get a second, .....Chrono Chross, FFXII, Parasite Eve, and Super Mario RPG all deserve spots on that list in my opinion. Yes, yes, I know babies poo poo Cross and XII; they are to be ignored, those games are great.

P.S. Play MegaMan X Command Mission if you like the Breath of Fire games, it is absolutely fantastic.

P.P.S. FF X is also really good... though the sequel is trash.

P.P.P.S. Legend of Legaia was fun too.

It would be like saying that the Harry Potter books are redundant because Lord of the Rings exist. Pokemon had a reach that few other IPs ever had, and one of the biggest gaming IP ever. I think that it helped many people to discover RPG games.

Depends on whether you're talking about quality or popularity. I can see other people putting it up there, but not my cup of tea. Too grindy, something Dragon Quest got around long ago.

I can’t think of anything other than for sure Lost Odyssey should be on there. My God what a game that was.

I’ve been laughed at before for saying Paper Mario 1 & 2 are JRPGs but at least for me, Paper Mario 1 was the gatekeeper that got me into the genre 🤷‍♂️

Considering Super Mario RPG is on here, it's not so strange. SMRPG is great, but is "my first Square RPG" in some ways. Paper Mario is where Mario really found his RPG identity.

Doom85

Honestly, that’s such a debatable term that I’ll just post my favorites, won’t even limit to 10 because it‘s been a rough two days and I just want to cut loose.

(note: entries in series are ranked best to “least best”)

Final Fantasy IX, VII*, X, VI (*and Remake, taking a break before starting Rebirth proper)
Persona 4, 3
Nier Automata, Nier Replicant
Paper Mario 64, TTYD
Chrono Trigger
Tales of the Abyss, Berseria, Vesperia, Symphonia
Kingdom Hearts 2, BBS, 1
Dragon Quest XI, VIII
Skies of Arcadia
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Three Houses
Pokemon Silver/Gold (and HG/SS), Black and White
Earthbound
Disgaea 4, 1

Also Bloodborne and Elden Ring (and to a lesser extent, Dark Souls 1 and 3) would definitely make the list, but people get triggered if you call them JRPGs despite these same people calling other action RPGs as JRPGs but not Soulsborne games for “reasons”.

NanaMiku

This list is essential for me, in no particular order:
Xenoblade X, 2, 3, 1
Atelier series (personally, I love the PS2 series: Iris and Mana Khemia)
Ar tonelico series
Steambot Chronicles

If I include simulation JRPG:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Disgaea 1

Considering Super Mario RPG is on here, it's not so strange. SMRPG is great, but is "my first Square RPG" in some ways. Paper Mario is where Mario really found his RPG identity.
Agreed. A few years ago I said Paper Mario 1 and 2 were JRPGs (I believe they are) and was… *flambeed*.

I’m glad they brought Super Mario RPG in-house after the SNES original and made it into its own thing with Nintendo designers and Miyamoto. I like Mario RPG and the remake from last year, but the battle mechanics and feel of Paper Mario is just so much crunchier and snappier gameplay-wise. At least to me.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I would like to know which are considered the best MODERN JRPGs actually. Come to think of it, I almost don't play this genre anymore, for probably more than 10 years.

april6e

These topics always want you to write a 20 minute essay. 5 titles wasn't enough?

My favorite JRPG list is very chalky so I'll just list a couple of lesser knowns that I find underrated and overrated.

Underrated: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Grandia

Overrated: SMT Nocturne and Trails in the Sky FC/SC

bobone

Why so many Persona 5?

I have not played it, but love Persona 4 and consider it the best game on the PS2.

Pejo

List thread? List thread. I don't like putting them in order because they're all good for different reasons. I'm also leaving ARPGs out of the equation because that makes it a much bigger list.
  • Chrono Trigger - Very easy to pick up and play, amazing OST, nice story with some twists and turns, fun battle system, big enough party selection, lots of great varied environments. Very beginner friendly in the genre.
  • Shadow Hearts: Covenant - Probably should play the first Shadow Hearts to get the story, but the gameplay, world, ring combat system were all perfected in the sequel. Suitably dark and sometimes humorous, probably tonally my favorite game, mixing horror with typical JRPG themes.
  • Final Fantasy IV - Simple straightforward story with classic themes like betrayal, redemption, love, forgiveness, etc. Inspired MANY games after it, likable cast, amazing OST, world drips with atmosphere. It was also incredibly impressive tech-wise considering it's an early 16 bit game.
  • Final Fantasy VI - The furthest you could feasibly push 16 bit JRPGs, with amazing graphics, OST, huge cast of characters, a complex interweaving story, adult themes for what was considered at that time a child's toy. S-E still never topped this game, honestly.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna. Amazing vistas, huge list of recruitable characters (even though it's locked behind pseudo gacha shit), fun animated designs and personalities, world spanning adventure.
  • Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - Extremely fun battle system, interesting psuedo-Norse mythology is a fairly unique setting for a JRPG and it worked well.
  • Lost Odyssey - A better Final Fantasy than we've gotten since FFIX/FFX depending on your tastes. Incredible storytelling with the 1000 years of dreams bits. Really underrated game that I wish would have gotten a PC release for longevity.
  • Dragon Quest XI: S - Probably the most content out of any JRPG I've ever played. The awful midi music was fixed at the expense of some image quality, but the addition of a full 2D mode for the entire game is just too cool and it almost makes you wonder how it got greenlit by today's Square Enix.
  • Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals - A lesser talked about game that had some novel ideas for the time, this one admittedly is just on the list because it's a personal favorite and doesn't really do anything wrong. It's an enjoyable story the entire way through. Better than average puzzles for dungeons and stuff too.
  • Xenogears - For as much as the last third of the game sucked, the first majority of the game is a near perfect JRPG. Story blends with gameplay. Combo system was fun, as was learning new Deathblows. The fact that you could mecha up or exit them at any time after a certain chapter was so cool. Another game that sticks to classic story themes, but told in a unique way - instead of trying to subvert expectations all the time.
    • [*]
      iu

[*]

Ok, in going to go a little contrarian. I’m leaving out Pokémon (cause I have never played them), and all tactics style games. Leaving out Fire emblem, FF Tactics, ogre battle, etc.

Best JRPG’s

1.) Chrono Trigger

The next 10 in no particular order:

-FFVII
-FFVI
-Super Mario RPG
-Paper Mario TTYD
-Phantasy Star IV, (PSIII also holds a place in my heart )
-FFIX or FFX (your choice)
-Dragon Quest XI (I have high hopes DQ2dHD will replace it)
- Persona V
- BLUE DRAGON!
- Octopath Traveler 2

Honorable mentions:

Lunar Silver Star Story
Secrets of Mana
SMT:V
Persona 3R or persona 4G
Dragon Quest V
Suikoden II
Earthbound
Fantasian

***this list would be different if we included Pokémon and Tactics games ***

Last edited:

Astral Dog

i just can say my favorites from what i played, not top 10 overall.

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII/Remake
Final Fantasy XII
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Arise
the Last Story
Final Fantasy IX
Kingdom Hearts

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
JRPG GAF really knows their shit, all of these are incredible games (consensus that Chrono Trigger is #1 seems like the main takeaway)!

I’d like to add one that has not been seen and many of you may have skipped: RADIANT HISTORIA

For the love of God, if you love JRPGs, please go buy and play this game. I hope it gets another remaster on Nintendo’s next console.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hey all... My name is WTC, and I love JRPGs.

I'm just playing through Golden Sun on GBA at the mo', and I'm thinking it's time I spent some more time with this lovely genre. Having played FFVII Rebirth for almost 100 hours, I'm actually yet to pick up another console RPG that hooked me in in such a way.

So, what would you consider the 10 essential JRPG's that represent the genre the best?
The 10 that pretty much sum up and define what's great about the genre?

From my limited knowledge, just going off of what is popular, a solid list might look something like:
(please note: none of these are in particular order or ranking)

1 - Chrono Trigger
2 - Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan)
3 - Final Fantasy VII
4 - Suikoden 2
5 - Persona 5
6 - Lufia II
7 - Dragon Quest V
8 - Breath of Fire III
9 - Final Fantasy Tactics
10 - Phantasy Star IV

Would this be a reasonable list? Or are there any glaring omissions present?
I agree with your list except for one little thing. In second place, right after Chrono Trigger I would put Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Sadly it's difficult to be able to play it nowadays. But as far as I'm concerned it's not only a great JRPG, but one of the greatest games ever period..

Damn old school square can makeup this list on its own.

Sad to see no love for ff iv on these lists.
FF4 is probably the one I have the most nostalgia for. My first was 1 but 4 is the one that cemented my love for the series.

Side question about 4 but is it me or even in the OG Snes version (not the easy type) the enemies hit HARD compared to the other FF?

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Pokemon HG/SS
3. Persona 5 Royal
4. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
5. Legend of Dragoon
6. Final Fantasy X
7. Chrono Trigger
8. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
9. Tales of Symphonia
10. Final Fantasy Tactics

PeteBull

The only true answer is- u cant contain this amazing genre in measly 10 titles, every1's lists are valid ofc but make it top20 or even better- top50, then u can say u played best games in the genre, top10 is way too small list.

Edit: Just to put in some more unforgetable classics:
Alundra

, Star Ocean 2(altho im big fan of whole series here) it just got remaster not even year ago

Grandia 2 (get anniversary edition, recent remaster)

and ofc last but not least
Disgaea(whole series is amazing, think final fantasy tactics on steroids with a comedy setting/storyline)

Here switch trailer(but game is on ps4 and pc too)

Last edited:

saintjules

In no particular order:

Suikoden I
Grandia I
Breath of Fire III
Chrono Trigger
Legend of Legaia
Legend of Dragoon
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Star Ocean: 2nd Story

Additional mentions:

SaGa Frontier
Tales of Destiny
Super Mario RPG

Last edited:

Mashmist

Neo Member
I'm going to mention legend of legaia. As a jrpg, this title has the most unique battle system and it's a shame it was never pushed further.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Allowing for one game per franchise, in no particular order

Dragon Quest IV
Tales of the Abyss
Tactics Ogre
Pokemon Heart Gold
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Persona V
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Romancing SaGa 3
Terranigma
Suikoden 2
EarthBound

Some of these games arent the best in their series, but they represent the highest highs the genre reached, and represent their franchise as a whole the best. For example I prefer Mother 1 and 3 over Earthbound, but feel that Earthbound represents the series better as a whole.

Last edited:
While i mostly agree with the already established lists i feel like i want to mention a few indie titles to mix it up.,
IMO these 3 are a cut above the rest in Indie JRPG space.

CrossCode - More actionbased but has some really clever puzzle designs going on
Sea of Stars - The pixel art and overall attention to details are really something else ... i want more of this plz.
Cosmic Star Heroine - The Battle system with the whole urgency is quite interesting and on the whole i enjoyed the entire package.

Rickyiez

I will only approve the list with

Shadow Hearts Covenant
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII

I don't really care what people think about the junction system in FFVIII, the game itself is magical

Phantasy Star 1 for Master System (great battle system and anime cutscenes)
Mother 1 (Earthbound Beginnings) for Famicom (awesome soundtrack)
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot (read the manga/watch anime while playing this game great way to experience DBZ story)
Dragon Force 1 and 2 for the Sega Saturn (although it leans more to strategy, the music, and cutscenes and presentation is pure JRPG style)

Shifty1897

1 - Chrono Trigger
2 - Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan)
3 - Final Fantasy VII
4 - Suikoden 2
5 - Persona 5
6 - Lufia II
7 - Dragon Quest V
8 - Breath of Fire III
9 - Final Fantasy Tactics
10 - Phantasy Star IV
This is a pretty great list, hoss. The only changes I would make would be to swap out Breath of Fire with Xenoblade Chronicles.

I would never win this fight but I think OG FFVII does not hold up and a better suggestion would be Fire Emblem Three Houses or Valkyria Chronicles.

Celine

I would like to know which are considered the best MODERN JRPGs actually. Come to think of it, I almost don't play this genre anymore, for probably more than 10 years.
I'd say the most common picks for your question would be:
Dragon Quest XI: S, Nier Automata, Ys VIII (the upcoming X also seem very good), Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei V, Xenoblade 2/3, Undertale, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Triangle Strategy, Octopath Traveler II, Final Fantasy VII remake(s).

sigmaZ

Gold Member
Seems we are talking about the classics.
This order is somewhat random:
1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Wild Arms (OG)
4. Suikoden I
5. Suikoden II
6. Final Fantasy IV
7. Final Fantasy V
8. FF7
9. Breath of Fire III
10. Lunar Silver Star Story

CashPrizes

1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Phantasy Star IV (should be on every list)
4. Final Fantasy Tactics
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Secret of Mana
7. Vandal Hearts
8. Suikoden 2
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Skies of Arcadia

*IF Strategy JRPGS dont count, remove Tactics and Vandal Hearts and make 9. FFIV and 10. Wild Arms 1 .

IAmRei

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Dragon Quest V
Oriental Blue, Ao no Tengai
Chrono Trigger
Xenoblade Chronicles 1 , 2, 3 (can't Decide)
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3
Bravely Default 2
Breath of Fire 4

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Someone should average these down to a list of 10 when we get more results, it'd be interesting.

Someone not being me, I'm sick. Can barely muster the energy to finish P5R.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 3 (fuck you japan!)
Chrono Trigger
Skies of Arcadia
Super Mario RPG
Parasite Eve
Xenoblade Chronicles
Lost Odyssey
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Grandia 2
Paper Mario

Mozzarella

Just make a competition, let everyone vote with their top 10, give points based on that, and then calculate everything and present the top 10 JRPGs by NeoGaf members. 🤓

Aion002

This is tough:

FFVI
FFVII
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Persona 3 FES
Suikoden 5
Parasite Eve
FFT
Breath of Fire IV
Shadow Hearts 2

I don't know which one is better to rank them, they’re all masterworks for me.

Also, I would like to say that FFVII Rebirth has been amazing for me so far and I can't put it on this list simply because didn't I finished it yet (75 hours in and the game doesn't stop throwing things for me to do on it and I am loving it).

Top Bottom