• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you consider to be the 10 *essential* JRPG's?

If you REALLY want carnage and see Gaf burn, you create a new thread and list their top 10 “roleplaying/tactics” games in general.

Including Pokémon, fire emblem, Skyrim, mass effect, Boulders Gate, Fallout, Xcom, WoW, FFXIV, and old pc games like Ultima, Quest for glory.

It will be a very lively debate I would imagine! Haha!!!
Animated GIF

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Here’s my 10 I would recommend to someone wanting getting into the genre. No particular order, just Chrono Trigger obviously #1.

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Super Mario RPG
Phantasy Star 4
Breath of Fire III
Lunar Silver Star Story
Skies of Arcadia

If strategy RPGs were allowed, I’d slide in Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Advance instead of Skies of Arcadia.

ReyBrujo

I can easily name my top 4 which are not all exactly pure RPG:

Final Fantasy VI (redefined the JRPG genre going full story-mode)
Chrono Trigger (a once-in-a-lifetime game)
Secret of Mana (renewed the ARPG genre)
Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society (I think it's right now the best JRPG dungeon crawler above any Japanese Wizardry)
Pokémon Diamond (I like the series even though I only played Blue and Diamond it's undoubtedly one of the remarkable JRPG)

I can see Earthbound between the top 10. Super Mario RPG was rather mediocre personally, nice isometric view but the 30-level limit, the extremely limited amount of items, etc. I know Phantasy Star 4 was a milestone for Megadrive / Genesis and the genre, it was one of the games I wanted to buy when I saw it in magazines but never could.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Aye, these are two jrpg's that I really need to play soon.
The only problem is, they're both extremely rare and expensive.. :messenger_anxious:

I have been trying to find it for you at a reasonable price, and you’re right. I found the DS version online for $19, but could be a scam.

If you have a 3DS, HomeBrew might be your best bet.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, it used to be.
Still is my man, still is.

We are getting SMT V² in 7 days, and there's quite a few coming up like DQ XII, DQ III HD-2D, Metaphor, Visions of Mana and possibly more I'm forgetting about.

It's just Final Fantasy sucking ass, but I'd say there still plenty franchises to look forward to.

Top Bottom