• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where may one find out the potential dates for Sony's next major event? (Updated Poll)

when???

• Total voters

coffinbirth

It’ll be after Tokyo Game Show and MS and others’ announcements are out. Sony marketing loves having the last word like they are the headliner at a music festival. They want their news to be the last major communication people hear before holiday buying season.
Eh, the VGA's are on December 8th, and we all know Microsoft isn't shy of having pretty big reveals there, so I dunno about that.

Haha Don’t want to show all the GaaS live service shooters they are developing before the Activision acquisition is thoroughly scrutinized by by regulators.

If they are indeed developing some big time GaaS shooters, Sony would be wise to hold their cards close to their chest.

JimRyanGOAT

I wouldn't mind long waits if it meant we got bigger shows filled with First Party exclusives.

1. Wolverine,
  2. Spiderman 2
  3. GODR
  4. Factions II
  5. Silent Hill 5
  6. and some other unannounced first-party exclusive all in one show

But waiting this long for some 30-minute state of play to show long overdue ragnorok gameplay then some indie titles throw in after is getting annoying

I wouldn't mind long waits if it meant we got bigger shows filled with First Party exclusives.

1. Wolverine,
  2. Spiderman 2
  3. GODR
  4. Factions II
  5. Silent Hill 5
  6. and some other unannounced first-party exclusive all in one show

But waiting this long for some 30-minute state of play to show long overdue ragnorok gameplay then some indie titles throw in after is getting annoying

Almost zero chance as far as Wolverine is concerned: They will not be displaying it until the 2023 showcase, imo.

Last edited:
Helldivers 2 trailer leaking and PSVR2 assures me that something is coming sooner than later. Sony aren’t gonna announce the former outside of a showcase

And theres only two months left to start marketing God of War Ragnarok. They haven’t really started yet which most likely means they are saving teh next big trailer for the showcase

The fact that they gave gameinformer crumbs of gow gameplay, tells us that they want to show it off themselves soon. Will it be a showcase or a state of play though?

Last edited:
The fact that they gave gameinformer crumbs of gow gameplay, tells us that they want to show it off themselves soon. Will it be a showcase or a state of play though?

They have too many things releasing to do a state of play, and no roadmap for 2023. It will most likely be a showcase especially if they want to reveal the launch date and line up for PSVR2 to get preorders going like they did in 2020 with PS5.

They also have 3rd party/partner commitments. The Avatar Game didn’t show up at Ubisofts event, and Spider-man 2 didn’t show up at Disneys. Most likely Sony will be debuting footage of both, not to mention Modern Warfare 2

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They have too many things releasing to do a state of play, and no roadmap for 2023. It will most likely be a showcase especially if they want to reveal the launch date and line up for PSVR2 to get preorders going like they did in 2020 with PS5.

They also have 3rd party/partner commitments. The Avatar Game didn’t show up at Ubisofts event, and Spider-man 2 didn’t show up at Disneys. Most likely Sony will be debuting footage of both, not to mention Modern Warfare 2
Kojima also has a trailer on the way.

I hope its a big and packed show. I can't see why sony don't start doing in person events again soon aswell. There are no pandemic restrictions anymore and it'll be nice to see a proper show with an audience. Sony were always mostly good at putting on an entertaining show.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why cant industry journalists just call up and ask Sony if they are planning a showcase this year. I really dont understand why its hard to get even a no comment from Sony.

Just having a story or a tweet from a major journalist saying Sony refused to state that there will be a show this year would generate backlash on twitter that Sony wouldnt be able to ignore. They skip E3. Crickets from journalists. They skip Gamescom. No big deal. Skip the entire year? Perfect.

Just do your fucking job.

Why cant industry journalists just call up and ask Sony if they are planning a showcase this year. I really dont understand why its hard to get even a no comment from Sony.

Just having a story or a tweet from a major journalist saying Sony refused to state that there will be a show this year would generate backlash on twitter that Sony wouldnt be able to ignore. They skip E3. Crickets from journalists. They skip Gamescom. No big deal. Skip the entire year? Perfect.

To be fair they don’t do it for Nintendo either. We still aren’t 100% certain if Nintendo will be having their 1st party direct next week or whenever

Last edited:

As someone who works in the industry and has worked with a variety of Sony PR people along with other publishers. That's just not how thing work man.

You can't be making random phone calls or sending emails and asking people stuff like that up front. It's extremely unprofessional and you won't be taken seriously and it's just down right childish.

Sony and others will speak when they need to speak and they will announce when they feel the time is right A lot of it has to do with timing of flagship game releases and also how the stuff that's being developed is progressing. Sometimes things are just not ready to show, sometimes decisions are being changed or made at the very last second. This can cause delays to the shows, because whatever was filled on a time slot for the show is not ready as originally intended and something else needs to take its spot. It can be a variety of other factors as well, but you get the idea.

Sony still has God of War Ragnarok to release. I won't be surprised if there is a lot of new stuff from a variety of publishers at the Game Awards n December 8th because at that point all of the major titles that were supposed to be out this year will be out the door.

There is a lot going on behind the curtain that the gaming audience has no clue about. Just be patient, you will get your reveals and main course dinner when the time is right.

And before you ask me, no I don't have any insider knowledge or dates. Even if I did, I wouldn't say, there are enough leaks as it is from other people. I am simply making educated and logical guesses based of my personal experience from working in this field for many years.

TLDR - Be patient. Time flies by anyway, savor it and enjoy your life while you are still here on this planet.

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

We may have to start sending dick pics to Jimbo…
Asking Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

Honesty all the Sony press conferences since Jim Ryan took over have been overly long, booing showcase of forgettable indie games nobody really cares about. Really miss the time where our Sony Press conferences were filled with awesome looking, soon to come AAA PS exclusives, great first look at awesome third party games and a side dish of very original indie titles to put some color in between big announcements.

But alas, nowadays, you tune in to see a couple of obscure, cell-shaded 2d games starring furries nobody will buy and that you wouldn't even play if they gave it to you for free on PS Plus.... And it's radio silence on all their good stuff like God Of War , etc...

It's fine to have quirky , obscure indie games , but people don't buy a 600+ console at launch to get excited about a 2d platformer starring a cake that sings opera... And peoplre sure don't enjoy tuning in each couple of months for press conference filled with forgettable , low importance games they won't play.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I was going to disagree, but haven't you noticed how journalism has died in the modern internet era.

Even news sites (not just games news) copy paste news from other reporters without validating the info and making sure they keep their integrity, it's pathetic.

I'm with you though, what happened to digging in and getting info and trying to get the story like back in the day.

Honesty all the Sony press conferences since Jim Ryan took over have been overly long, booing showcase of forgettable indie games nobody really cares about. Really miss the time where our Sony Press conferences were filled with awesome looking, soon to come AAA PS exclusives, great first look at awesome third party games and a side dish of very original indie titles to put some color in between big announcements.

But alas, nowadays, you tune in to see a couple of obscure, cell-shaded 2d games starring furries nobody will buy and that you wouldn't even play if they gave it to you for free on PS Plus.... And it's radio silence on all their good stuff like God Of War , etc...

It's fine to have quirky , obscure indie games , but people don't buy a 600+ console at launch to get excited about a 2d platformer starring a cake that sings opera... And peoplre sure don't enjoy tuning in each couple of months for press conference filled with forgettable , low importance games they won't play.

Lol wut

Last 3 showcases had tons of 1st and 3rd party AAA games. Last year was probably the lightest and it sitll had bangers

JUNE

September

Even this years june state of play which had very little first party games had huge games, like SF6, RE4R, Final Fantasy 16, etc

What playstation events had more 1st and 3rd party games in the past?

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I'm guessing Sony was waiting for Nintendo to announce theirs as to give Nintendo and themselves a berth (for attention and headlines).

I expect a Sony announcement within the next week or so

Matsuchezz

I thought I saw a banner that is happening in late October. But it could be a fake banner. Either way I hope nothing is leaked, leaks ruins all the fun and they leak old ass software. And ruins the surprise.

Top Bottom