• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character (Video)

I LOVE it. Someone criticizes something they haven't experienced. That video was terrible, full of personal criticisms. This game will be a GOTY contender.

P.S. the new dante is awesome

criticizing something they haven't experienced is bad but if you praise something you haven't experienced it's okay?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
:p Well, when you see someone compare Dante to Mario, it kinda makes you wonder. Anyway, original Dante seems like typical anime fodder. There's a million "original" Dantes, and many of them are much better executed. Can't think of too many character's similar to the new Dante, who I find pretty charming, despite (or maybe due in favor to) his cocky nature.

edit: What's this fuck you video everyone keeps talking about?

Did you not watch the video linked in the OP? :/

Seance

Banned
Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character

A few people posted this video I made yesterday in the "DmC: Devil May Cry sequel teased" thread. I thanked them for the mention, and later got a couple of messages from people saying they saw and liked the video.

I decided to make a thread about it because it seemed to really resonate with a lot of people.

If you're wondering why a lot of people are grumpy about this character, I think this video does a good job of explaining it. This is the way I see it, and my reasoning for thinking so.

I hope you like it.

Also, I didn't mention his hair!

You've just invalidated your opinion in my eyes. The fact that he has a particular haircut or acts like an arrogant jerk doesn't change the fact that he isn't entertaining. I find this new Dante far more "likeable" than the original.

What can I do you make you see the LIIIIIIIIIGHGHGHTTT!?

Yeah, and DMC3 Dante was nothing but "WOO" and "LETS PARTY" but you have to admit, this new game's dialogue isn't exactly pushing the boundaries of what the franchise is capable of. I thought that was the entire point of not making a DMC5, they wanted to take it in new directions. Instead, it's sunk to a new low.

Dahbomb

You've just invalidated your opinion in my eyes. The fact that he has a particular haircut or acts like an arrogant jerk doesn't change the fact that he isn't entertaining. I find this new Dante far more "likeable" than the original.
So you didn't watch the video either or read what he said because he specifically mentions that he wasn't talking about the hair.

This goes for the other guy too talking about people preferring og Dante to have nostalgia glasses. The fuck you part is in the actual video...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, and DMC3 Dante was nothing but "WOO" and "LETS PARTY" but you have to admit, this new game's dialogue isn't exactly pushing the boundaries of what the franchise is capable of. I thought that was the entire point of not making a DMC5, they wanted to take it in new directions. Instead, it's sunk to a new low.

But "down" is a new direction. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think it's fair to pass judgement while a character is still in flux. If we were given such an early window into character development in other media I think you might see similar changes. Things evolve as a story is created.

I'm actually not worried about that aspect. The most recent trailers have presented characters and narrative potential far exceeding anything found in the original games and NT has typically delivered on that side of things.

Some of the points make sense BUT I really don't think one can truly pass judgement until the game is completed.

Ninja Theory is known for their writing and dialogue.

"Fuck you!"
"Fuck you!"
"FUCK YOUUUUUUUU"

Oscar-worthy.
Are you really passing judgement based on this kind of thing? Come on, now.

Are you really passing judgement based on this kind of thing? Come on, now.

Hell yeah I am. This isn't a beta I'm saying isn't fun or has too many bugs. That shit was written for the character and whether or not it's put in the game, was actually considered viable dialogue for him at some point. It's actually perfect for him - a character with no substance who is akin to Shadow the Hedgehog or MGS4 Raiden. He only exists to be "badass" so instead of saying anything meaningful, his catchphrase is "FUCK YOU."

DMC and Dante never needed fixing, this is just another instance of Capcom thinking they know what's good for their fans.

dark10x

Hell yeah I am. This isn't a beta I'm saying isn't fun or has too many bugs. That shit was written for the character and whether or not it's put in the game, was actually considered viable dialogue for him at some point. It's actually perfect for him - a character with no substance who is akin to Shadow the Hedgehog or MGS4 Raiden. He only exists to be "badass" so instead of saying anything meaningful, his catchphrase is "FUCK YOU."

DMC and Dante never needed fixing, this is just another instance of Capcom thinking they know what's good for their fans.
I don't think that describes what we've seen of Dante at all.

Honestly, I found this short trailer more interesting than the combined narratives of all previous DMC titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5LDVSV5LtA

Vice

The other dialogue in the game is better. Perhaps the fuck you scene is supposed to come off as dumb, it literally ends with a character throwing up all over the place after all.

dark10x

Right, OG Dante was more creative with his insults.

LOL @ SotD.
The storybooks detailing the back story of the bosses were great.
Perhaps, but like a lot of Capcom titles, I always felt that the dialog was just on the cusp of being improperly translated. Nothing is worse than Lost Planet, though, which makes next to no sense. It's similar to ZOE2 in that characters just seem to utter lines for almost no reason without any real context.

The other dialogue in the game is better. Perhaps the fuck you scene is supposed to come off as dumb, it literally ends with a character throwing up all over the place after all.

Definitely, but it kind of irks me when he reverts to those childish antics. It seems like Ninja Theory really wanted to take this character in a new direction, but either because of Capcom or fan reaction, they threw in things that they thought related him to the classic Dante, and now he comes off as this weird hybrid of the two, with none of the likeability. You could never have moments like the demon guitar rock-out or the super hammy (and delightful) Shakespeare scene in DMC4 with this character, so they are stuck with something like this instead. People hated this character from the beginning, Ninja Theory had a lot to work against. However he originally seemed like a pretty mysterious character and they had the chance to prove that he could be something more than Dante once was. Instead, he revealed himself to be an unlikeable shithead, unlike DMC3 Dante or even Nero who had some appeal. No one wants to play as a character they hate - this has become apparent with the way God of War is turning off a lot of people with how much of an asshole Kratos became.

He may have his moments, but things like that lovely piece of dialogue are a huge turn-off for me.

New Dante is all "fuck you" and that's not the "let's party" Dante I remember. That's what this thread is about right?

Not really, no. Old Dante was just as stupid and abrasive, but he was still a pretty likable guy. The fact that Dante in DMC3 was just this snot-nosed cocky brat was one of the best parts of the game. This argument is about the fact that Ninja Theory was chosen to reboot this series because they generally have created some pretty interesting and well-written characters (King Bohan is specifically mentioned in the video, and rightfully so). Capcom decided Dante and his franchise were in need of something new, but instead we're being left with what appears to be a new direction for the franchise and a shittier version of the original Dante, who seems out of place because they can't decide what they want him to be.

Kouichi

The writing and dialogue in the Vergil Trailer was good and a definite upgrade from the original DMC games, in my opinion. The 'fuck you' scene was pretty bad but I'm confident that it's not indicative of the games writing as a whole. We'll have to wait and see though.

Also, new Dante has some pretty funny quips. The "You don't look a day over 12,000" quip was funny.

I must be the only one that likes the scene with Dante and that demon.

Edit: well ok the ''Dante the demon killer'' line is terrible lol. Way worse than any swearing.

Asriel

People don't understand context and characterization. The lines are stupid, because, well . . . . the characters are probably acting stupid and immature. I can't imagine Vergil saying those lines, for example.

And these are the only lines in any trailer so far that any detractors have commented on, which is pretty telling.

gunbo13

Dante: You want a date? Well, forget it. Because I make a point not to go out with women who shoot me in the head!
Lady: Date a demon? I'm not that desperate!
---------------------------------
Vergil: Why do you refuse to gain power? The power of our father Sparda?
Dante: Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all.
Cerberus: You... are not human, are you?
Dante: Who knows? I'm not even sure myself.
Lady: He was obsessed with becoming a devil, so much he killed his own wife. For that he butchered innocent people too. He's the most vile kind of creature. To top it off, that filthy scum... is my father.
Dante: Well, we have something in common. I have a dysfunctional family too.
Beowulf: [jumps down through the ceiling] SPARDA!
Dante: Aww, you poor thing. Didn't your mother teach you how to use a door?
Beowulf: That odor, I know it.
Dante: Huh?... Gimme a break. Tell you what, next time I'll try to wear some cologne, okay?
Beowulf: It's the stench of betrayal. The odor of that accursed Sparda! I will annhilate every last blood relation of Sparda!
Dante: Hahahaha! A son cleaning up his dad's mess, huh? Where have I heard this story before?
Arkham: I have the true power of sparda!
Vergil: Not very classy for someone's dying words.
Dante: What's your name?
Lady: I don't have a name.
Dante: So what should I call you?
Lady: I don't care! Call me anything you want.
Dante: Whatever, Lady.
Jester: Oh, wait a moment! You don't really want to shoot me, do you? If you do... I'll die, you know.
Dante: If that's what it takes to shut you up.

I always found this dialogue fun. Yet we are discussing "fuck you" exchanges. *shrug*

Brashnir

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by just stating the obvious right at the beginning. "Dante is a bad character because Dante has always been a bad character."

Dante: You want a date? Well, forget it. Because I make a point not to go out with women who shoot me in the head!
Lady: Date a demon? I'm not that desperate!
Vergil: Why do you refuse to gain power? The power of our father Sparda?
Dante: Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all.
Cerberus: You... are not human, are you?
Dante: Who knows? I'm not even sure myself.
Lady: He was obsessed with becoming a devil, so much he killed his own wife. For that he butchered innocent people too. He's the most vile kind of creature. To top it off, that filthy scum... is my father.
Dante: Well, we have something in common. I have a dysfunctional family too.
Beowulf: [jumps down through the ceiling] SPARDA!
Dante: Aww, you poor thing. Didn't your mother teach you how to use a door?
Beowulf: That odor, I know it.
Dante: Huh?... Gimme a break. Tell you what, next time I'll try to wear some cologne, okay?
Beowulf: It's the stench of betrayal. The odor of that accursed Sparda! I will annhilate every last blood relation of Sparda!
Dante: Hahahaha! A son cleaning up his dad's mess, huh? Where have I heard this story before?
Arkham: I have the true power of sparda!
Vergil: Not very classy for someone's dying words.
Dante: What's your name?
Lady: I don't have a name.
Dante: So what should I call you?
Lady: I don't care! Call me anything you want.
Dante: Whatever, Lady.
Jester: Oh, wait a moment! You don't really want to shoot me, do you? If you do... I'll die, you know.
Dante: If that's what it takes to shut you up.

I always found this dialogue fun. Yet we are discussing "fuck you" exchanges. *shrug*

Yeah, it's pretty stupid that people are fixating so much on that "fuck you" scene. It's like people fixating on the pizza scene in DMC3 and ignoring everything else. Or Dante riding the rocket. Which I clearly remember was getting a lot of ridicule early on when the first trailers were released. Also the whole man-bra thing, first - it's not, but once people find something they cling to they keep on it. In DmC's case it's 3 seconds of fuck you.

Dahbomb

I don't care what anyone says... Vergil in Dmc3 has some of the most baller lines.

They are even baller in Marvel despite with less enthusiasm in the VA.

That's it, I fucking give up with you guys. I've heard some of the most stupidly ignorant posts in my time, but this is it. The hatred for NT only stems from the bitterness from DmC. It's horrifying how spiteful you guys can get.

The malice and over the top hatred coming from you lot is appalling. I fucking hate it.

Can't stop the hatred from an entity that a majority of people have a clear distaste for.

Dahbomb

Lady has the best line in the whole series.
I still can't believe they managed to place the title of the game in to the dialogue and actually have it make sense within the context of the story. That was some good shit.

The original "Devil May Cry" line comes from the manual of DMC1 I believe. I think it's Enzo or some guy describing Dante where he says "one look at him and even a devil may cry" or something like that.

gunbo13

Yeah, it's pretty stupid that people are fixating so much on that "fuck you" scene. It's like people fixating on the pizza scene in DMC3 and ignoring everything else. Or Dante riding the rocket. Which I clearly remember was getting a lot of ridicule early on when the first trailers were released. Also the whole man-bra thing, first - it's not, but once people find something they cling to they keep on it. In DmC's case it's 3 seconds of fuck you.
People have selective memories. I think some of the lines in DMC3 and speeches in DMC4 are really fun. However, there are also plenty of cringe-worthy moments. These are video games after-all.

I'm sure DmC will be relatively similar. It's just so far, I haven't heard anything out of Dino's mouth that is entertaining. Less cringe-worthy across the board but more...awkward I guess. Or juvenile, forced, predictable, etc... Actually, the nuance towards predictability would be my biggest complaint. I feel like we can guess how he is going to act the rest of the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
People seemed to love that idea in Final Fantasy VII.

I know I kind of replied to this out of the blue, but...

I'm really confused because you're the second person to say this. Since when was Cloud Strife an asshole? You don't even find out that he suffers from horrible psychological trauma until halfway through the game. I don't care for Square-Enix's current interpretation of the character, but I don't see how he was ever unlike-able back then, especially since you sometimes had the freedom of choice in conversations.

Vice

I know I kind of replied to this out of the blue, but...

I'm really confused because you're the second person to say this. Since when was Cloud Strife an asshole? You don't even find out that he suffers from horrible psychological trauma until halfway through the game. I don't care for Square-Enix's current interpretation of the character, but I don't see how he was ever unlike-able back then, especially since you sometimes had the freedom of choice in conversations.

To be fair, for the first portion of Midgar he's a bit of an asshole in the sections where the player has no input.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To be fair, for the first portion of Midgar he's a bit of an asshole in the sections where the player has no input.

Maybe I'm completely misremembering. I don't really recall him being an asshole. He snapped at Barret because he was trying to guilt trip him into a cause he didn't believe in, and made assumptions about his character... but other interactions gave you more control.

EDarkness

Same, so do a few others i know.

It seems like people who haven't played DMC before are really into this.

New Dante was probably capcom's attempt to attract a different audience to the game, but by doing that they've lost the previous/current one.

I still think old school DMC fans will buy this. Trade off i guess.

I've been following this game from the beginning and even tried it at E3, but there is no way I'll be buying it. I have nothing against Ninja Theory, but I'll speak with my wallet and avoid the game. I have every other DMC game, so this will be the first one I've skipped. I simply have no desire to support this direction for the character I like.

Dahbomb

That's a common thing I have heard DMC fans say as of late.

A lot of them would like to play the game, not as a DMC game but just as a laid back action/adventure game because let's be honest, most DMC fans are usually fans of other action games too. Most DMC fans have played worse games than this, I know I have for sure.

The problem is that, this is not the direction that most DMC fans want the series to go in. However they can't tell for sure if it's a good direction for the series or not without fully playing the game and they can't really do that without putting money into the game. That's indirectly implying that you support this direction which is what a lot of fans are uncomfortable with. Even if a DMC fan hates the game you can bet your dollars they will be first in line to at least play the demo of DmC (I know I would be).

I know personally I am going to rent this game for sure. I should've done that with DMC2 as well and not contributed 1 sale to that game. If the game is genuinely excellent I will then purchase it and then get it again on the PC version (what I did for Darksiders 1, didn't know if the game was going to be good, ended up liking it a lot and then buying it on the PC later on). If I don't like it then hey at least I got to experience it while also not fully supporting the direction of the series.

Trigger

Maybe I'm completely misremembering. I don't really recall him being an asshole. He snapped at Barret because he was trying to guilt trip him into a cause he didn't believe in, and made assumptions about his character... but other interactions gave you more control.

Cloud was aloof, but not an ass. He was actually a fairly grounded character minus the trauma and split personalities.

The writing and dialogue in the Vergil Trailer was good and a definite upgrade from the original DMC games, in my opinion. The 'fuck you' scene was pretty bad but I'm confident that it's not indicative of the games writing as a whole. We'll have to wait and see though.

Also, new Dante has some pretty funny quips. The "You don't look a day over 12,000" quip was funny.

"Well that seemed to go on forever... church."

Yeah, it was just trying to be badass with dialog that nobody would ever say. Classic anime-style writing of hamming everything up. Sorry, but a young adult who is hunted by demons and has the power to fight them would probably be overly cocky and drop many f-bombs, instead of going all Shakespearean on them.

Neither Dante is as badass or as cool as anyone thinks. Their both equally cocky to the point of being douches and do a bunch of cheesy shit. Ninja theory has, as shown thus far, written this Dante to be a little more grounded and closer to what someone would be like in his position. I think it's incredibly silly to complain about character presentations and storylines when a) DmC isn't out yet and b) the plot, characters, and overall world in the previous games, novels, and anime are fucking awfu (Yes, I've watched the anime and read the novels. I used to be something of a superfan). There's little debate on that end.

Devil May Cry is a series known for playing well and while the gameplay mechanics aren't exactly what I want, I'm still going to give Ninja Theory an opportunity to do a great job with where they want to take combat. And as an overall package, they'd have to try really hard to disappoint me as much as DMC4 did.
speak for yourself, there's a following for the original character for a reason, Capcom are going at change from a purely greed driven angle, not one of the characters popularity, and dude..you're no where near the authority on cool, for so many reasons..in my opinion.

The old Dante was a smarmy, cool headed dude who was confident, ate pizza, flirted with the ladies and never took things too seriously, kind of like an ass kicking version of Han Solo. He was immensely likeable as a character, and a great counter to Nero in DMC4, who was arrogant, brash and rude. I suppose Nero still had his fans, as he was undeniably stylish, and since his primary motivation was to save the girl, I can imagine him appealing to younger players.

From what we've seen, the new Dante is angry, abrasive and wholly unlikeable. It's almost as if they've taken all the worst aspects of Nero, amplified it, and removed all the stylishness. Kind of like Anakin in episode 3.

this one gets it. THANK YOU!
The impression i got from dante and vergil was that in their own way, they respected their father, this new one hates everything, dosn't have the ostracizing white hair or any outward demon look..he's just a rude and unhappy..because he's nearly invincible?

Dahbomb

Sorry, but a young adult who is hunted by demons and has the power to fight them would probably be overly cocky and drop many f-bombs, instead of going all Shakespearean on them.
It's a good thing then that DMC4 Dante is a middle aged man and comfortable with his theatricality as well as being cultured enough to make a parody of Shakespeare on the fly.

Top Bottom