• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character (Video)

Imm0rt4l

At least the dialogue was not as puerile (saying "fuck" every 3 word is not mature or edgy or whatever) as this and did not make me want to turn off the TV...

I haven't seen enough of the game to pass judgement really. I will say that his yelling fuck you back and forth with the demon was dumb.

Takuan

I don't have a problem with the character at all. This is an imagining of Danté as a juvenile delinquent; he's an arrogant, impetuous, douchehole of a kid. It's clear that they're attempting to reach the teenage audience with Danté's makeover, while hoping to hold onto older fans with the combat system.

KissVibes

Banned
At least the dialogue was not as puerile (saying "fuck" every 3 word is not mature or edgy or whatever) as this and did not make me want to turn off the TV...

Yeah, it was just trying to be badass with dialog that nobody would ever say. Classic anime-style writing of hamming everything up. Sorry, but a young adult who is hunted by demons and has the power to fight them would probably be overly cocky and drop many f-bombs, instead of going all Shakespearean on them.

Neither Dante is as badass or as cool as anyone thinks. Their both equally cocky to the point of being douches and do a bunch of cheesy shit. Ninja theory has, as shown thus far, written this Dante to be a little more grounded and closer to what someone would be like in his position. I think it's incredibly silly to complain about character presentations and storylines when a) DmC isn't out yet and b) the plot, characters, and overall world in the previous games, novels, and anime are fucking awfu (Yes, I've watched the anime and read the novels. I used to be something of a superfan). There's little debate on that end.

Devil May Cry is a series known for playing well and while the gameplay mechanics aren't exactly what I want, I'm still going to give Ninja Theory an opportunity to do a great job with where they want to take combat. And as an overall package, they'd have to try really hard to disappoint me as much as DMC4 did.

Dahbomb

The base problem that a lot of people have with the character design and story/writing is that THIS is the reason why NT was chosen in the first place. They are known for their characters and story... yet what is shown of the characters and story is at best a marginal improvement over the previous DMC games, which were B-C level in those categories EVEN when compared to other video games. And I am being very generous in saying this.

It's like giving Zelda to Team Ninja because they are known for combat but the end result is that TN makes a combat for Zelda that is a marginal upgrade at best over the combat already in Zelda. That is what it feels like with NT handing the canon of the DMC series. It doesn't seem to be a massive upgrade in story telling, writing and characterization from the previous series to make the drastic change a worthwhile endeavor. NT doesn't have to just live up to the DMC standards but their own as well when it comes to their own strengths.

Of course the game isn't out yet and the story/characters can improve over the course of the game. I have some confidence that Dante ends up being a more likeable and recognizable character by the end of the game... hopefully the journey to the transformation is worthwhile and well developed.

Imm0rt4l

Yeah, it was just trying to be badass with dialog that nobody would ever say. Classic anime-style writing of hamming everything up. Sorry, but a young adult who is hunted by demons and has the power to fight them would probably be overly cocky and drop many f-bombs, instead of going all Shakespearean on them.

Neither Dante is as badass or as cool as anyone thinks. Their both equally cocky to the point of being douches and do a bunch of cheesy shit. Ninja theory has, as shown thus far, written this Dante to be a little more grounded and closer to what someone would be like in his position. I think it's incredibly silly to complain about character presentations and storylines when a) DmC isn't out yet and b) the plot, characters, and overall world in the previous games, novels, and anime are fucking awfu (Yes, I've watched the anime and read the novels. I used to be something of a superfan). There's little debate on that end.

Devil May Cry is a series known for playing well and while the gameplay mechanics aren't exactly what I want, I'm still going to give Ninja Theory an opportunity to do a great job with where they want to take combat. And as an overall package, they'd have to try really hard to disappoint me as much as DMC4 did.
co-sign.

Endo Punk

GLt83.jpg

My name is Dante but you can call me Dante the 'FUCK YOU' guy. Got a nice ring to it don't you think?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HEY!

lol j/k =P

I do like the look though. He's not as cool looking as original Vergil, but I would say he's cool in a different way. It is kind of off-putting with the voice difference, though. How he went from having a somewhat deep voice that sounded really cool to how he sounds when he kind of whined in the trailer. It's cool that they have a Vergil character at all in this game because I really missed him after coming from DMC3 and not having him at all in DMC4.

but Nero is Vergil's son,so DMC4 already gave Vergil fans some of his soul/semen.

http://i.imgur.com/GLt83.jpg

My name is Dante but you can call me Dante the 'FUCK YOU' guy. Got a nice ring to it don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Man,really what the hell..NT only good thing was their face modelling but this look like garbage. I guess Capcom didn't give them enough money (they didn't hired an outsider writer too, they sure lack of money/resources on this project)

Endo Punk

The base problem that a lot of people have with the character design and story/writing is that THIS is the reason why NT was chosen in the first place. They are known for their characters and story... yet what is shown of the characters and story is at best a marginal improvement over the previous DMC games, which were B-C level in those categories EVEN when compared to other video games. And I am being very generous in saying this.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. NT are not working to their "strengths". The story and dialogue really is quite atrocious, and yes Im going to judge them by what's shown like I do with every game. I don't get why NT needs to get special treatment, they are doing a terrible job showcasing their strengths for this game and only have themselves to blame.

Dante has always been a nigh-indestructible Ninja Turtle with a cape and the new guy looks/sounds just as silly. I LOVE DMC 1/3/4 but personally I don't really see a big difference. DmC looks pretty good and other than horrid previews/word of mouth for the final game then I'm getting it. Would I have rather have seen a DMC by the main team that continued the story? Sure, but I'm totally okay with them making Dragon's Dogma (one of my favorite games this year and a wonderful new IP) and giving Ninja Theory a crack at it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Isn't that just speculation? Either way, we'll never know for sure now.

It was confirmed by Capcom
3. Devil May Cry 4-wise, one of the localization employees I was talking to confirmed to me that Nero IS Vergil's son, and that this aspect was going to be implemented in to the game's plot. However, the decision was made not to, which could set up a good story for the future. I argued that it was cheesy, so we'll see what happens.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/carbo/b..._devil_may_cry_news_no_new_game_unfortunately

Dahbomb

It's confirmed in their novels related to Dmc4 that they released themselves. It's really the only real logical explanation for some of the events in DMC4 like the Yamato reforging itself in Nero's time of need and providing him with the spirit of Vergil (sort of but it was pretty heavy handed when Nero uttered the "more power" line).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I wonder if someone should just make a "hate on Ninja Theory topic" honestly. I think they really deserve it. The entirety of their output is two of the worst action games to grace this generation and DmC looks like to be another notch on their bad action game belt.

This is such a sad, sad post.

But maybe a topic like that is not without merit, if only to gather people like you together in one spot.

As for me, as I have enjoyed Enslaved rather nicely, I am looking forward to the release of this game. Hopefully I can enjoy it.

Endo Punk

I can't help but think we are to blame for this. DMC3 was so well received especially the character of Vergil that we put Capcom in a very difficult predicament. I love Vergil and had no problem if we never saw him again in future games, I had my fill in DMC3 and Special Edition.

Now DmC is basically a remake of DMC3 and DMC1 put together. You got Vergil and Mundus back because fans love them. After DMC4 backlash and fans crying for more Vergil there was no other way but a redo, and since the in-house team didn't want to do that because it's boring they gave the title in the hands of the most undeserving developer.

Sometimes fans need to come to terms with the fact that some characters die and should move on. Do you honestly want Vergil to be abused with so many games re-telling his story?

Dahbomb

Your timeline is all wrong.

Dmc1 takes place 10 years after Dmc3 putting Dantes age at Dmc1 at 28-29 (this is fact). Then comes the DMC anime taking place a few years after DMC1. DMC4 takes place a considerable time after these events, Dante is in his mid to late 30s in DMC4. Dante has been described to be in this age range in various interviews.

Nero was most likely conceived around the events of DMC3 which would put his age in Dmc4 exactly right at 17-18. The only real problem here is that Capcom is insinuating a teen pregnancy (Vergil was 18 when he had sex and the mother most likely in that age group too).

Beth Cyra

I can't help but think we are to blame for this. DMC3 was so well received especially the character of Vergil that we put Capcom in a very difficult predicament. I love Vergil and had no problem if we never saw him again in future games, I had my fill in DMC3 and Special Edition.

Now DmC is basically a remake of DMC3 and DMC1 put together. You got Vergil and Mundus back because fans love them. After DMC4 backlash and fans crying for more Vergil there was no other way but a redo, and since the in-house team didn't want to do that because it's boring they gave the title in the hands of the most undeserving developer.

Sometimes fans need to come to terms with the fact that some characters die and should move on. Do you honestly want Vergil to be abused with so many games re-telling his story?

While i enjoyed Virgil as part of DMC3 I didn't want him to return. It set up Nelo Angelo well and that was good enough for me.

I felt that way about most of DMC3 cast though. So while I loved the gameplay of DMC3 I was probably one of the few DMC fans that was happy that we got a new cast for 4, sadly they just didnt' do anything for me outside of gameplay

Astral

Your timeline is all wrong.

Dmc1 takes place 10 years after Dmc3 putting Dantes age at Dmc1 at 28-29 (this is fact). Then comes the DMC anime taking place a few years after DMC1. DMC4 takes place a considerable time after these events, Dante is in his mid to late 30s in DMC4. Dante has been described to be in this age range in various interviews.

Nero was most likely conceived around the events of DMC3 which would put his age in Dmc4 exactly right at 17-18. The only real problem here is that Capcom is insinuating a teen pregnancy (Vergil was 18 when he had sex and the mother most likely in that age group too).

I could've sworn it was DMC4 that took place 10 years after 3. I found this in Gamefaqs:

"The manga takes place a year before DMC3. In the manga, Arkham speaks of the incident that seperated Dante and Vergil and the death of their mother being 10 years ago. That's 10 years prior to the manga. And so, that makes DMC3 take place 11 years after the death of their mother.

Now Trish saying that Dante lost his mother 20 years ago means that DMC3 takes place 9 years before DMC1.

Do the math, 20 (DMC1) - 9 (DMC3) = 11 (death of their mother)

Now, Kobayashi saying Lady is 10 years older means that DMC4 takes place 10 years after DMC3, and thus 1 year after DMC1. Which means that the anime falls into place in the year between DMC1 and DMC4."

Endo Punk

LOL DMC timeline. DMC franchise has absolutely ZERO vision, the timeline is a clusterfuck. Once DMC2 showed up it all went to hell.

Astral

Yeah fuck it. Let Vergil have his son. Lady and Dante are still in their late 20s in my eyes. I refuse to believe they're so old.

Dahbomb

I could've sworn it was DMC4 that took place 10 years after 3. I found this in Gamefaqs:

"The manga takes place a year before DMC3. In the manga, Arkham speaks of the incident that seperated Dante and Vergil and the death of their mother being 10 years ago. That's 10 years prior to the manga. And so, that makes DMC3 take place 11 years after the death of their mother.

Now Trish saying that Dante lost his mother 20 years ago means that DMC3 takes place 9 years before DMC1.

Do the math, 20 (DMC1) - 9 (DMC3) = 11 (death of their mother)

Now, Kobayashi saying Lady is 10 years older means that DMC4 takes place 10 years after DMC3, and thus 1 year after DMC1. Which means that the anime falls into place in the year between DMC1 and DMC4."
Lol Gamefaqs.

That's accurate until he brought up DMC4 being 10 years after DMC3. It's all based on an inconsistent quote of Kobayashi. Trust me when I say that what I provided is the more accurate timeline based on all the facts presented.

Yeah fuck it. Let Vergil have his son. Lady and Dante are still in their late 20s in my eyes. I refuse to believe they're so old.
They are in their 30s and in the case of Trish she has no real age. Neither are that old...

Alastor

LOL DMC timeline. DMC franchise has absolutely ZERO vision, the timeline is a clusterfuck. Once DMC2 showed up it all went to hell.

Not really, because DMC2 has zero impact on the overall timeline. It's just "in the future" and nothing important happens there.

DMC story is simple but fun, shame that Capcom couldn't avoid timeline confusion in as light-hearted franchise as this.

maomaoIYP

The old Dante was a smarmy, cool headed dude who was confident, ate pizza, flirted with the ladies and never took things too seriously, kind of like an ass kicking version of Han Solo. He was immensely likeable as a character, and a great counter to Nero in DMC4, who was arrogant, brash and rude. I suppose Nero still had his fans, as he was undeniably stylish, and since his primary motivation was to save the girl, I can imagine him appealing to younger players.

From what we've seen, the new Dante is angry, abrasive and wholly unlikeable. It's almost as if they've taken all the worst aspects of Nero, amplified it, and removed all the stylishness. Kind of like Anakin in episode 3.

bangai-o

Banned
Could barely finish that video.

He starts off by stating facts about the character and the changes made to him, but then starts to make far reaching statements without backing them up?

Ya, I think it's okay if fans are disappointed in the new Dante because they like to hold on to the old one, but this video was a wash.

But hey, I'm sure he will get a ton of views.
nice of him to turn on his adverts!

EDarkness

I have nothing against Ninja Theory, but I simply refuse to support this new Dante. Perhaps it isn't their fault, but it's like Nintendo all of a sudden giving Mario to another studio to "re-imagine" him. This new Dante just isn't what I like about the character and some people can say that old Dante was a bastard, but really, I don't believe that is the case. He played too much, especially in DMC 3, but I think that's what made the character so endearing to so many people. This new guy just isn't likable at all and I have no desire to watch a character I really like get changed in this way.

Of course it's all subjective, but I just don't see the point in paying Capcom for this kind of thing and maybe that means we'll never get another DMC again, but I'm okay with that. I'll settle for playing as Dante in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

I have nothing against Ninja Theory, but I simply refuse to support this new Dante. Perhaps it isn't their fault, but it's like Nintendo all of a sudden giving Mario to another studio to "re-imagine" him. This new Dante just isn't what I like about the character and some people can say that old Dante was a bastard, but really, I don't believe that is the case. He played too much, especially in DMC 3, but I think that's what made the character so endearing to so many people. This new guy just isn't likable at all and I have no desire to watch a character I really like get changed in this way.

Of course it's all subjective, but I just don't see the point in paying Capcom for this kind of thing and maybe that means we'll never get another DMC again, but I'm okay with that. I'll settle for playing as Dante in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

But Nintendo always does that. That's how we got Mario RPG and Paper Mario series. Right now don't know whether or not Capcom is going to come back to original Dante or not.

EDarkness

But Nintendo always does that. That's how we got Mario RPG and Paper Mario series. Right now don't know whether or not Capcom is going to come back to original Dante or not.

Mario is always Mario. Whether it's Paper Mario or Mario RPG or New Super Mario Bros. Mario is Mario. He has the same look, same basic mannerisms, same voice actor, etc. The game changes, but Mario is timeless. If they changed him into a emo, swearing, jerk, then you can bet there would be tons of folks upset about that. Sure, there are jokes about GTA Mario or something to that effect, but Mario doesn't really change that much from game to game, even if the genre is different.

Honestly, I'll jump back into DMC if they ever go back to original Dante. He's just a cooler character to me than this current one. I just recently purchased the new DMC HD collection and I think the old Dante just resonates better with me than this new guy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh wow, the slur is really obnoxious.

That's about all I have to say since I haven't played the game and maybe they redeem his character traits in-game in some way (they did make Enslaved.)

I am definitely going to try this game out since I am a DMC fan and I own all of the games. Surely Capcom cannot be surprised or perplexed because outsourcing a legendary franchise such as DMC will definitely lead to a lot of opinionated notions, controversy and skepticism from fans about the final product. Not only with the characters, but the gameplay and setting/atmosphere as well. Hopefully, NT can pull this off. I feel that they have a tall order ahead of them. If it is as at least good as DMC2, that will be a start for me at least lol.

RSLAEV

More effort probably went into developing this new Dante than went into old Dante in all 4 of his games. Dante was just a big dumb goof-there was no depth there, no real substance. He was fun to watch but I don't see why people think that he's some kind of sacred cow.

Sojgat

Ninja Theory doesn't like the Devil May Cry series and they don't respect it's legacy. To them it's just a stupid action franchise with bad characters and a terrible story, which is holding back the medium. They think their Dante is better and that their game is better.

I prefer the old Dante too, but this video is hilarious. It's nothing but a nicely put together childish rant, spoken as if it were a well reasoned thesis. Everything is stated as fact when it's all entirely subjective. I think I'll wait to totally crucify this character until I've played the game and have more than a handful of 10 second clips to base my judgements on.

The problem is these positive aspects are only accessible through a cringeworthy story with an insufferable character as the lead.

I'm pretty sure people have been saying this since the series began.

EDarkness

More effort probably went into developing this new Dante than went into old Dante in all 4 of his games. Dante was just a big dumb goof-there was no depth there, no real substance. He was fun to watch but I don't see why people think that he's some kind of sacred cow.

Because it's those qualities that made the character who he is. Maybe you don't like him, but obviously a lot of people did. It's the same issue with Samus. Obviously Nintendo thought they had the wiggle room to redefine her as a character, but whether they like it or not her character was defined well enough by the fans and them tampering with it didn't do them any favors. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with this game.

Vice

What makes him better?

It isn't hard to be a better character than Dante in DMC 1-4 since the story and writing seemed like they were a distant fifth behind gameplay, atmosphere, music and visual design.

The new Dante appears to have more personality traits but personality traits don't make a better character so I'm waiting until the game comes out to decide which is better.

You could of just posted "New Dante is better" but you just had to add that second sentence did you? :(

:p Well, when you see someone compare Dante to Mario, it kinda makes you wonder. Anyway, original Dante seems like typical anime fodder. There's a million "original" Dantes, and many of them are much better executed. Can't think of too many character's similar to the new Dante, who I find pretty charming, despite (or maybe due in favor to) his cocky nature.

edit: What's this fuck you video everyone keeps talking about?

Apeopleman

I LOVE it. Someone criticizes something they haven't experienced. That video was terrible, full of personal criticisms. This game will be a GOTY contender.

P.S. the new dante is awesome

Top Bottom