• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people edit their posts to respond to later posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unai

In many forum mod would merge your double/triple post and sometime even give you infraction for it, its kinda became known ethiquete in fotum browsing.. so I'm surprised there is people that saying "just do double post!" Because such a thing is something that could be punished in forum browsing, some of you only had GAF as forum or something?

But it is not double post at all the OP is talking about.

Imagine this:

Me: something something something

Someone: something else, something else, something else

Me: Quote=Someone
Oh, I see!

This is the right flow. But this is just wrong:

Me: something something something

Quote=Someone
something else, something else, something else

Oh, I see!

Someone: something else, something else, something else

Wolfe

I do this if someone posts while I'm typing up a post and it ends up being something I want to respond to or comment on. Otherwise I'll just make a new post.

Edit: wait, that doesn't make sense cause my post would come after theirs, I guess I don't do it then.

ThankeeSai

Only time I do it is if I've asked a question and several people answer it. I will say thanks to the first person to answer, then quote everyone else who was kind enough to answer into my initial "thanks" post.

....If you follow me.

I can't follow you because you've broken the linear nature of the thread.

Ha!

I broke my own rules :p

Only time I do it is if I've asked a question and several people answer it. I will say thanks to the first person to answer, then quote everyone else who was kind enough to answer into my initial "thanks" post.

....If you follow me.

I can't follow you because you've broken the linear nature of the thread.

dose

Yep, annoys the fuck out of me. You're effectively responding to someone who hasn't even spoke yet.

dani_dc

Yeah its rather annoying and confusing.

I once noticed a person quoting me this way. I was tempted to quote them on the post he quoted or in a post befoee his just to screw up with the situation even more.

But I didn't because I'm not that much of a bad person.

This shit is the worst. I don't care if you have 20 posts on a page; it's better than breaking the flow and confusing the shit out of people.

Because it looks like you're spamming the thread and ppl get pissed at that. Especially if it's only suitable for a one-liner reply anyway.

The responder can see the green highlighted box when their quoted too. The only time it's an issue is when the thread has high traffic so your last post can easily be missed if you edit in a reply. I hardly see anyone do it so I don't think it's an issue tbh.

Used to vex me when I first noticed it but now ehhh I don't care as much. Feels like some phantom quote when I can't find it further down the line tho haha.

Because it looks like you're spamming the thread and ppl get pissed at that. Especially if it's only suitable for a one-liner reply anyway.

The responder can see the green highlighted box when their quoted too. The only time it's an issue is when the thread has high traffic so your last post can easily be missed if you edit in a reply. I hardly see anyone do it so I don't think it's an issue tbh.

They can only see if they decide to read old posts for whatever reason. I've had conversations with people end because I thought they never responded only to find out weeks later when looking at the thread that they edited in a reply in an old post for some god forsaken reason. Normal people use the see first unread post option. Threads on GAF work in a linear fashion, breaking that is stupid, if you have a worthwhile response make a new post.

Forkball

I hate it when I read a thread, see someone quote another guy and think "huh, I didn't even see that post." I click on it and I'm taken like 20 posts down and have no idea where in the thread I am and everyone's talking about something else.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't mind this as much as double or triple posting, especially if they're quoting each time.

Learn to multiquote.

I do this if I feel like there was some confusion to my original post. If I'm not expecting a response from the person that asked me something, I'd rather clarify within the original post than post a new one. Otherwise you'll end up with situations where people will keep quoting you and making the same observation over and over again. It'd be nice if we could expect everyone to read the entire thread before making a reply, but the reality is that this is often not the case.

It's fun to break the continuum.

Very annoying, makes threads very confusing to read. I almost think it should be a bannable offense to ruin the chronological flow like that.

What are you, the time travel police?

I don't know, but it should be bannable.

Crazy talk.

Is this so bad?

It feels like you haven't optimized your posts, which is irksome.

I've done it to avoid double posting.

Me too, especially when someone is answering an older post of mine immediately after i'm answering an older post of his. It feels like the conversation broke apart and you edit yourself to make it stick together, lest you begin having two conversations with the same poster.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very annoying, makes threads very confusing to read. I almost think it should be a bannable offense to ruin the chronological flow like that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I hate this shit when I read every post on a page and wonder where the quote came from as I read it.

pls stop people.

NekoFever

I once went so anti this that I started blocking people who did it. I calmed down eventually but it's still an awful habit.

Stop it.

S0N0S

I find it annoying, ruins the flow of conversation, unnecessary, and rude to the poster you're responding to ahead of.

End this uncouth madness, please.

Watevaman

GAF is the only forum I've ever seen where people do this. Before I started just clicking on the quote arrow, I would sometimes go back like 3 pages to see where the quoted post was, only to not find it.

Future quoters, you are the worst.

studyguy

I do it all the time incase I just posted something. If someone quoted me or it's not my latest post then I'll just leave it be. If that bothers people then whatever, it's a message board.

Doing it now, you can't stop it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom