• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people edit their posts to respond to later posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

I am terrified that I have absolutely no idea whether you are joking or serious.

Who knows.

It is really annoying reading a thread, seeing a quote, then thinking "wtf who is he quoting? I haven't seen that post yet" then realise it was posted below at a later time.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I thought this thread was about people who edit their posts to look more intelligent when having an argument.

terrisus

It can seem awkward if you already have a lot of posts on that page

Like I post, someone else posts, I post again then want to respond to the post right after that etc.

Yeah pretty much this

Not a good excuse.

If someone posts after you, you post after them.
Doing otherwise is bad etiquette, and interrupts the flow of posting.

The one minute rule so it's quicker/easier to just add a quote to what you just wrote.

This is the only excuse, if the post you're replying to, and your reply to it, are within 1 minute of your post.

terrisus

Also, to go along with my two posts above (oh no!), I don't really like it when people add something significant to their post more than a few minutes after they post it. Since, by that point, some people have already read that post and are past it.

More than a few times I've read a post which had no mention of me, only to realize later I was quoted in an edit to it.

If you've already made a post, and it's more than a couple of minutes later, and you have something significant to add, make a new post.

Hmm somehow I'm on the less popular side of an opinion while terrisus is on the more popular side

That's probably not good...

<3

- J - D -

I like the direction that attitudes towards this habit is taking. It's annoying and oddly, of all the forums I've visited over the years, I've only ever seen it happen on Neogaf.

MIMIC

Banned
I honestly didn't know that people didn't mind if a user made multiple posts in a short period of time. If I ever did the edit thing, it was to avoid this issue (which apparently is a non-issue for most).

Now I know *shrugs*

I know a lot of people say that they would miss a lot of these edits but I always caught them and they never bothered me, lol

I guess I'll stop doing that then although it was always a rarity in and of itself. I've probably done it a dozen times in like a year and a half. Never thought it would annoy people so much

terrisus

I like the direction that attitudes towards this habit is taking. It's annoying and oddly, of all the forums I've visited over the years, I've only ever seen it happen on Neogaf.

Yeah, this is the only forum I ever recall seeing this at either.
It's really odd.

I honestly didn't know that people didn't mind if a user made multiple posts in a short period of time. If I ever did the edit thing, it was to avoid this issue (which apparently is a non-issue for most).

Now I know *shrugs*

No idea how people ever got that idea in the first place, but, yeah, it seems like people are ashamed of having multiple posts close to each other or something.
That's also odd.

I guess I'll stop doing that then although it was always a rarity in and of itself. I've probably done it a dozen times in like a year and a half. Never thought it would annoy people so much

The thing is, probably many people didn't even see it in order to be annoyed by it.

So it's less worrying about annoying other people, and more whether you're worried about people missing out on part of your post.

VARIA

It's a stupid practice.

Count me in for deleting posts of people that do this. It just fucks up the flow of the thread.

commedieu

Banned
Even though you're not double-posting, if you respond to a post so soon after you already put up a post, it makes you feel like you're spamming.

It's mostly a psychological thing. There actually isn't any legitimate reason to do it, it just makes you feel better even if it actually makes things more confusing.

Ill make YOU feel better, doc!

I dream of having a conversation with a poster by us editing the same post over and over again.

Also editing really old posts and having hidden conversations with other posters by doing it. Now that would be cool.

terrisus

Also editing really old posts and having hidden conversations with other posters by doing it. Now that would be cool.

Like Lionel Mandrake's tag link.

Pry my edits

image.php

See what I did there? >.>

I'm choosing the hard way

I have no idea what you're talking about >.>

riotous

Banned
It always annoyed me.

I started doing it this week because I thought it was encouraged here.. lol.. I'll stop now.

Don't need the boss on my case!

Oh my god. Searching through who quoted me I just discovered an instance of this where I wasn't aware I was quoted.

I have learned my lesson Gaf.

terrisus

Given the way humans process information and mostly snapshot the things they want to see from a particular thread, it's not a big deal.

You mean left to right, top to bottom?
YMMV, but regardless, it's going to be a one-direction process

Generally people don't scan up and down a page constantly looking for new information to appear.

Oh my god. Searching through who quoted me I just discovered an instance of this where I wasn't aware I was quoted.

I have learned my lesson Gaf.

Exactly.

The is one of those things where you often don't even realuze how big of an issue it is, because you're just not aware of it at all.

riotous

Banned
You mean left to right, top to bottom?
YMMV, but regardless, it's going to be a one-direction process

Generally people don't scan up and down a page constantly looking for new information to appear.

Isn't reddit, one of the (if not the) most popular forum in the world like this?

(honest question, I have yet to bother to understand it's format)

Today I learned there are a lot of GAF members who are really shook at the idea of being called out for "spamming."

Last week I learned there are people who think posting in threads is SUPPOSED to be a non-linear form of conversation.

Couple this with the basic reluctance to read that almost EVERYONE on the internet indulges in, and it's kind of a minor miracle the conversations are as readable as they are :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's awful, but I don't want to post multiple times just to reply to another user so i sometimes do it. CRUCIFY ME

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Even though you're not double-posting, if you respond to a post so soon after you already put up a post, it makes you feel like you're spamming.

It's mostly a psychological thing. There actually isn't any legitimate reason to do it, it just makes you feel better even if it actually makes things more confusing.
Less spammy, especially if you've already posted multiple replies.
Damn, y'all paranoid as fuck.

That hardly qualifies as "spamming," just a regular back and forth conversation.

Cyan

Banned

Unless you're doing it all the time for no good reason, like screaming trees... *shrug*

Mostly it's double posts that people would get annoyed about.

Camp Lo

Banned
I understand quoting a post that's like within 2 posts of yours, but some people quote shit on another page. It's infuriating seeing a thread for the first time, going down the first page and some asshole is responding to something on page 3 on page 1.

0Cmnv.png

MIMIC

Banned
I understand quoting a post that's like within 2 posts of yours, but some people quote shit on another page. It's infuriating seeing a thread for the first time, going down the first page and some asshole is responding to something on page 3 on page 1.

0Cmnv.png

LOL, now THAT'S insane.

Unai

Then why did I do it? Help me understand

He's not talking about editing your post o awnser to something that someone said before your post, but after it.

Having a lot of answers and edits for things that were posted before yours is fine. Things get dumb when you are quoting something that was posted after your initial post.

inm8num2

I always figured that people who quote posts after theirs are trying to create paradoxes or ripples in the space-time continuum.

Iph

Banned
To not spam a thread. People view double posting or triple posting as insanity.

I do both

I will only edit if its the post directly below me, if not, I will make a new post.

In the 90ies when I was learning the internet, I was taught the no double posting thing, so if I forgot to add something right after I post, I edit it in- usually before it even shows up as an edit, or not long after.

Unai

In the 90ies when I was learning the internet, I was taught the no double posting thing, so if I forgot to add something right after I post, I edit it in- usually before it even shows up as an edit, or not long after.

Which has nothing to do with what OP is saying at all.

this practice is almost as bad as thread necromancy

Thread necromancy is one of the things that I really, really don't care about. I mean yeah, if you bump a thread from 6 years ago with the title "New Indiana Jones Sequel Coming Next Year", some people might be excited/disappointed/terrified for the brief few seconds it takes them to read the date. But sometimes someone will post their opinions on a "timeless" thread, like asking what your favourite PS1 Kart-racing/Bandicoot crossover game was, after the thread has been dormant and get met with a load of "HOLY THREAD BUMP, BATMAN" responses and the like. Who gives a shit? It's not like anything needs to be physically exhumed just for the sake of "Crash Team Racing" getting posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom