• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people keep saying that "Wii won last gen?"

Platy

Wii won last gen in the home console department

DS won last gen in videogaming focused hardware.

3DS started this gen in videogaming focused hardware.

WiiU started this gen in home console department.

WiiU STILL has more games than the ps4 and the xb1 combined.

Those are the hard truths GAF, deal with it.

Question for everyone in this thread: If you could only pick one console to own between 2005 and 2013, how many of you would choose the Wii?

I have a huge library of awesome wii games, but I would choose the Wii simply because it was the only one with simple and awesome uses of homebrew.

RetroArch port alone makes my Wii clean my room of old videogames and cables and controllers everywhere.

Herne

I'm more interested in why this question needs to be asked time and time again.

Question for everyone in this thread: If you could only pick one console to own between 2005 and 2013, how many of you would choose the Wii?

I did only pick one, and it was the Wii.

Frodo

I mean if the console "won", you'd think it would be seen as the most desirable amongst a forum filled with enthusiast gamers. Obviously this all comes down to opinion, but I think the people who would choose the console with the least amount of games, the worst third party, the least amount of features, and the worst online would be in the minority.

No.

And again, how is this even relevant? If GAF consensus (no hive mind GAF, don't ban me) should serve as any metric of success, Vita would be the winner of the handheld market right now (no Vita x 3DS wars, don't ban me). Opinions in GAF don't necessarily translate to reality outside this forum. And unless the definition of a winner is "the console who is looked upon as the best AMONGST HARDCORE GAMERS WHO DWELL IN FORUMS" this is, yes, irrelevant.

The market jumped on the Wii wagon, and it sold in 4 years more than the other consoles have sold in 6 or 7. It sold a ridiculous amount of software as well, even though some people still try their best to refute this notion. It made tons of profit. As far as I can see: winner.

BPoole

"If you can't win a debate, argue the definition of terms instead".
People like to use sales and revenue as the only barometer of success. I think that is silly since we don't benefit from that (unless you're an investor). I see the winner as whichever console provided the best overall value (exclusives, overall library, features, etc). People can go on all day about PS3 vs 360 for these categories, but the Wii has the weakest argument for all of these categories.

In the past, the winner had always had the highest sales and was accompanied by other categories that I listed above, such as the PS1/PS2 having the best libraries as well as the most sales. Gen 7 was the first where the "winner" is straight up outclassed in every category aside from sales, and I think that is flawed.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it won. It's sold the most so far.
That doesn't mean that it was the best console of the past generation. It's best games played and looked better on PC (Dolphin) I'm talking about the exclusive titles. That's embarrassing.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
People like to use sales and revenue as the only barometer of success. I think that is silly since we don't benefit from that (unless you're an investor). I see the winner as whichever console provided the best overall value (exclusives, overall library, features, etc). People can go on all day about PS3 vs 360 for these categories, but the Wii has the weakest argument for all of these categories.

In the past, the winner had always had the highest sales and was accompanied by other categories that I listed above, such as the PS1/PS2 having the best libraries as well as the most sales. Gen 7 was the first where the "winner" is straight up outclassed in every category aside from sales, and I think that is flawed.
Perfect.

Manchester United winning the Premier League offers me precisely zero benefit but I'm not gonna go argue that Arsenal really won because I like their team members more.

What that should tell you is that those categories aren't needed to win or to perform very well.

Boogybro

Going by that, Wii must have won. Seeing as more people saw value in what it was offering vs the other 2 consoles.

Turrican3

Totally, absolutely, completely irrelevant to the thread.

But please, count me among the few (?) people who would choose the Wii.

(it's a very easy one to answer since my own - few - favourite games on PS360 were also on PC...)

I was always under the impression that software was where money is made. I could be wrong but the Wii did a pretty lousy job of selling games. Am I wrong?

I wouldn't say that the Wii was outclassed in terms of first party and/or exclusive titles.

yurinka

I still think that somewhere before completing its lifecycle PS3 will outsell LTD Wii, because unlike Wii and 360 it still will be supported by Sony by continuing its production and marketing, plus will continue getting games from both 1st and 3rd party even if they are minor (like the announced PS3+Vita indie games), and will have pricecuts during the following years, and the PS Plus of new PS4 & Vita owners will benefit PS3 during these upcoming years.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How did it not win? Why is there so much revisionism around the Wii?

It won on every objective metric and surely people could make the case it wins on subjective metrics too. I don't even really like the thing and I have no problem admitting it defined the generation and smashed the competition.

redcrayon

Totally, absolutely, completely irrelevant to the thread.

But please, count me among the few (?) people who would choose the Wii.

(it's a very easy one to answer since my own - few - favourite games on PS360 were also on PC...)

I'd go for the Wii as well, partly as it complements my PC and handhelds better, partly for my monster hunter addiction.

Into

Because that is how gens are "won", not in terms of profit, your own personal opinion or any other factor. The amount of consoles sold is what determines the winner. Thus the Wii won. The winner is the console that is most wanted by consumers, thus the only way to measure that is by sales, since that tells you the demand for that specific product.

Unless it gets surpassed by 360 or PS3 (or both)

Andrew J.

Sales and revenue are the only objective measures there are. Trying to bring in the other factors you mention would only start arguments about the relative qualities of the systems' game libraries that could never be definitively resolved.

redcrayon

I don't see any reason to change the metric on which success is rated because we might not like the content.

Personally I couldn't care less about FTP games, MMOs or online multiplayer shootybangs, but me saying that I'm going to judge success on which console has the least of all that rather than which sells the most is kinda pissing in the wind. Why people feel the need to inflict their own personal barometers of success on others rather than stick to the one that has served us well for 30 years is beyond me.

And who are you to say that the Wii's library of games are the weakest? I could say that the PS3 and the 360's games are interchangeable and if you really want a different experience, the Wii is the way to go. Of course, I am not so arrogant as to say that I am right, or to disparage the PS3 and the 360 for having shared libraries because they offer great games as well.

What game library is best is subjective. Your metric of what should constitute as the "winner" is laughable (best hardware/graphics/features/hardcore offering, etc) and, frankly, reeks of pathetic fanboyism.

marrec

Banned
Wait, are some people trying to argue that the Wii didn't 'win' last generation because they like the video games on PS360 better? A purely subjective measurement based on personal preference? Okay.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
Nintendo the company won last gen.
Nintendo's fans lost.

It's that simple.

Yes, I know Nintendo fans got some amazing games from the Wii, but the console was abandoned so quickly that it never found it's potential.
It's kinda funny how Nintendo gave up on the 800lb Wii Gorilla and yet seem determined to back the weakling WiiU till the bitter end.

I wouldn't really say it was abandoned so fast. I mean just because games came out that you weren't interested in doesn't mean it was abandoned. In the west we got Rhythm Heaven Fever, Mario Party 9, Kirby's Dream Collection, (Japan got Dragon Quest X), Xenoblade, and the Last Story all in the 2012. We even got Pandora's Tower in 2013 (USA). I'd say I was playing my Wii up until I purchased the Wii U on day one. I was satisfied with it's support.

BPoole

Sales and revenue are the only objective measures there are. Trying to bring in the other factors you mention would only start arguments about the relative qualities of the systems' game libraries that could never be definitively resolved.
The Wii objectively has a lesser library. I'm not even going to start listing all of the outstanding third party games that never made their way to the Wii, but there are A LOT. People can still prefer the games found the Wii, but to say it has a better overall library is flat out wrong.

Now if we were to compare the 360/PS3, their libraries are much closer and could not be objectified.

WillyFive

The only method of measurement that doesn't put the Wii as the "winner" last generation is the subjective one in which many can easily disagree with.

Occam

Umm, yes. PS2 and Wii.

Really? PS2 was launched first in Japan only (March 2000), whereas PS4 had a nearly global launch. PS4 is now near the end of its third month and sales are approaching 5 million (most likely). There is no way PS2 had 5 million sales until the end of May 2000.
Wikipedia tells me that Wii sold 3.19 million units until the end of 2006 (launch date was relatively similar to that of PS4 in 2013).

And look here: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Biggest_game_system_launches

So the correct answer to my question if any recently launched home console ever sold as well as PS4 is selling now is "no".

My non gaming family still play an hour or two on the wii a night. Maybe thats not a win but its a sense of victory only nintendo have ever tasted out of all 3 Extensively.

Obviously the wii u failed to garner any interest for them as it is most people. This kind of nulls the success of the wii. Mega Drive also did well but the Dreamcast was the straw that broke the camels back. I doubt wii u will kill ninty but what if their next system fails?

What Im getting at is their success is debatable considering the wii took a swing for a different market and in trying to please both parties for the U they failed to please anyone. But had the wii targeted the same market as 360/Ps3 with similar tactics ninty wouldnt be playing catch up so badly. In essence the success contributed to the downfall of the U and gave them a bigger height to fall from.

redcrayon

The Wii objectively has a lesser library. I'm not even going to start listing all of the outstanding third party games that never made their way to the Wii, but there are A LOT. People can still prefer the games found the Wii, but to say it has a better overall library is flat out wrong.

Now if we were to compare the 360/PS3, their libraries are much closer and could not be objectified.
So we aren't even discussing software sales anymore, we are now down to comparing two libraries of videogames that are mutually exclusive with each other?

Yeah, I can see how that is a clearer indication of success than than cold sales numbers.

bobone

The 360 and especially the PS3 will have a long extended life, I'm expecting just has much from them as the PS2. Overall the Wii just didn't have the games to support it past the initial gimmick. Its not the casual market that fills their shelves with games and preorders new titles month after month.

I have well over 100 games for 360 and close to as much for PS3. My Wii shelf has a dozen or so Nintendo IP's but its pretty barren compared to its competition.

The Wii targeted a different audience and while Nintendo made insane profits from them they ended up abandoning it like any other popular "toy" thats around for a season or two.

My non gaming family still play an hour or two on the wii a night. Maybe thats not a win but its a sense of victory only nintendo have ever tasted out of all 3 Extensively.

Obviously the wii u failed to garner any interest for them as it is most people. This kind of nulls the success of the wii. Mega Drive also did well but the Dreamcast was the straw that broke the camels back. I doubt wii u will kill ninty but what if their next system fails?

So did the PS3 disaster null the PS2 success? I mean, at least Nintendo still has their cash, unlike Sony back in the day. So the PS2 must be a completely irrelevant console by this logic.

Mihos

Gold Member
Kia sells more cars than Lamborghini or Ferrari.. therefor car enthusiast must think it wins the car wars.

Because it sold the most units, had the best selling games of the generation, and was profitable from the start. Conditions that would NOT be questioned had they applied to the PS3 or 360.

Why people keep arguing that it didn't is a far more intriguing concept to me. Why put such a stake in trying to minimize the Wii's success? I had a PS3 and the Wii selling better didn't make it less fun.

marrec

Banned
No objections here

Any other groups of gamers we can alienate?

OH!

MOBA gamers. They aren't gamers either.

And... mobile phone gamers aren't gamers... MMO gamers...

Alright, you know what, I like Smoky's definition, lets just keep it simple. Anyone who hates video games is a gamer.

Despite our cheeky conversation, obviously Nintendo sold a lot of units to people who weren't traditionally considered gamers. This also coincided with the rising popularity of gaming in the popular consciousness. Where you want to lay the blame for that popularity is up for debate.

Top Bottom