• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people keep saying that "Wii won last gen?"

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There's a lot of different ways to look at it, personally speaking for me it was a massive failure. Made me fall outta love with Nintendo, I can count the games I wanted to play on one hand without my thumb, and that was certainly not the case with the N64 and Gamecube. The Wii-U is the first ever Nintendo console/handheld that I haven't owned and that's the Wii's fault.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kia sells more cars than Lamborghini or Ferrari.. therefor car enthusiast must think it wins the car wars.

If we went by that logic (which makes no sense because cars aren't entertainment products), the Wii would still win, because it has the best game ever created - Super Mario Galaxy 2.

ItIsOkBro

Wii won last gen in the dirtiest way possible. It's like a scoring competition between the best NBA player vs. 1000 kindergarteners. Obviously the NBA player is better but since there's so many damn kindergarteners they're bound to score more.

If we went by that logic (which makes no sense because cars aren't entertainment products), the Wii would still win, because it has the best game ever created - Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Best game ever? It's not even the best mario game.

I'm not even sure it's the best Super Mario Galaxy game

BibiMaghoo

In terms of sales, hardware and I think software also, the Wii destroyed the others. This is factual - for the hardware at least - and so by a metric of most sold is the winner, it certainly did win the gen.

I am not aware of any other metric used for this particular 'competition'. You can use various arguments to say why the Wii declined mid gen, and that it is effectively dead compared to it's other last gen competition.

But that doesn't really change the fact it sold crazy.

Yagharek

There's a lot of different ways to look at it, personally speaking for me it was a massive failure. Made me fall outta love with Nintendo, I can count the games I wanted to play on one hand without my thumb, and that was certainly not the case with the N64 and Gamecube. The Wii-U is the first ever Nintendo console/handheld that I haven't owned and that's the Wii's fault.

I've never owned nor desired an iPhone so I guess Apple has failed.

Nibel

Wii won last gen in the dirtiest way possible. It's like a scoring competition between the best NBA player vs. 1000 kindergarteners. Obviously the NBA player is better but since there's so many damn kindergarteners they're bound to score more.

This thread is full of dumb analogies by people trying to downplay Wii's perfomance, but this one right here might be their king

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

So were supposed to take your opinion as fact now? Which is particularly difficult when your opinion is wrong :)

solarus

Despite wii selling the most, didn't microsoft make the most revenue as a whole from its games divison compared to the other two? Honest question, i remember it being mentioned a while back.

Markitron

I've never owned nor desired an iPhone so I guess Apple has failed.

I said it was a failure for me personally. It's nice that you enjoyed the wii but I hated it and it ruined Nintendo for me, and by the looks of it I'm not the only one because the Wii-U is almost dead.

Imtey

Banned
How did it not win? Why is there so much revisionism around the Wii?

It won on every objective metric and surely people could make the case it wins on subjective metrics too. I don't even really like the thing and I have no problem admitting it defined the generation and smashed the competition.

pretty much

most sales
most profits
worst library but whatever, still 'won'

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wii didn't really win because it competed like a donkey climbing a mountain. The donkey is walking up the mountain but the mountain just doesn't have any real games! I mean duh. It's like a Ferrari. Why does everyone not understand?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So were supposed to take your opinion as fact now? Which is particularly difficult when your opinion is wrong :)

Isn't that what this thread is all about? People trying to force their fantasies into others' minds as facts?

Although Galaxy 2 is the best game ever.

Must just be the part of the world I live in but I do not know of any kindergartener who can throw a ball high enough to reach an official NBA regulation-high basket.

Oersted

May I quote your avatar?

This is a case of unnecessary goalpost moving. The clear and factual metric that was previously used is sales and at the end of the day, Wii won easily.

You might feel, I certainly do, this was a Pyrrhic victory as its library lacked the breadth we had come to expect from previous winners. But that's opinion and another discussion IMO. At least not one titled "who won?"

Artorias

Banned
So I guess the argument is that it won because it sold way more units?

Last time I checked, this wasn't a race. It's an endurance test, and being the first one to finish does not make you the winner.

The number of units in that gap between Wii and the HD twins is getting smaller, fast. Both PS3 and 360 are being supported this year and probably well into 2015/2016.

We don't even know if the Wii's SUCCESSOR will be supported by anyone other than Nintendo at that point.

Wii was the candle that burned twice as fast for half as long. It had an abysmal end of life, with next to nothing coming out its last year or so, and then almost everyone that had a Wii sold it off or shelved it.

Aaand the HD twins are still being played and used today, every day. Still getting new games. Still getting support.

So I guess the last gen war is still going, even after Wii folded. But Wii is the winner?
Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

The Wii won without a doubt, because they made a profit. That is the goal of a business and they were the only one to do so.

Granted, they are fucked this gen and probably won't make it out in one piece, but you'd have to be a fool to try to argue that they didn't win last gen.

Yagharek

Wii didn't really win because it competed like a donkey climbing a mountain. The donkey is walking up the mountain but the mountain just doesn't have any real games! I mean duh. It's like a Ferrari. Why does everyone not understand?

Jokes on you since the donkey was actually a mule. Jeff Minter won.

marrec

Banned
This thread is full of terrible analogies and I find it funny. It's like watching an episode of Star Trek TOS and laughing at all the poor production values and Shatners attempts to act.

Gannd

Banned
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny how much people are willing to cling to to make their worldview "win". Get ready for the great contraction when the PS4 and Xbox One sell worse than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Next year is going to be great on GAF when we have more posts of people trying to comfort themselves. I'm awaiting the "I thought mobile only hurt Nintendo not OUR games!".

GetemMa

Sure, it won in terms of sales, but if you wanted to play anything decent you'd have to sift through the mountains of shovelware

GAF Logic:

If crappy games exist on a system it demeans the existence of the good ones.

I guess I better burn my PC.

gngf123

Yes, the Wii won the generation. It sold the most units and it was the most profitable.

When it comes to library - Yes, the Wii had a tonne of shovelware. I wonder if GAF remembers the awful shovelware the PS2 got. In both cases, the shit doesn't deny the existence of the good games each system got.

Not to say the Wii competes with the PS2, because quite frankly it gets nowhere near it, but no console last generation did. The only thing that has gotten close over the past few years is the DS.

Gannd

Banned
NeoGameFaqs

I have a feeling that this is how the evolution of a GAF poster happens:

Turn 13 and start posting on GameFAQs. Graduate from High School and move onto GAF. Get married and have kids and move onto other smaller and more focused forums/stop posting.

Artorias

Banned

I really hope this is a dig at other bad analogies. I can't imagine why some of you are so emotional over this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've said it more than one occasions, the Wii is the absolute WORSE "winner" of a generation we've ever had. It won in terms of sales and nothing more.

I can't imagine why some of you are so emotional over this.

It's pretty sad to see, frankly.

How did it not win? Why is there so much revisionism around the Wii?

It won on every objective metric and surely people could make the case it wins on subjective metrics too. I don't even really like the thing and I have no problem admitting it defined the generation and smashed the competition.

This, so much. Does the Wii being ahead make The Last of Us less fun or something?

Artorias

Banned
I've said it more than one occasions, the Wii is the absolute WORSE "winner" of a generation we've ever had. It won in terms of sales and nothing more.

I think you mean worst, and sales are actually the metric that people use to determine the winner in a console race.

Honestly, I'm having trouble figuring out who is joking here.

DedValve

Banned
In terms of sales absolutely. Nintendo was making pure profit from each console sold and they only had 1 (?) price cut in its entire lifetime. That thing made the war chest obese.

VoidZero

Banned
It was profitable, sold a lot of units and had some good exclusives. I wouldn't go as far as call it winning, but good on them.

DHEwP.gif

Please stop, that was one of the worst analogies I read this year. So bad it's funny.

RM8

Yes, the Wii won the generation. It sold the most units and it was the most profitable.

When it comes to library - Yes, the Wii had a tonne of shovelware. I wonder if GAF remembers the awful shovelware the PS2 got. In both cases, the shit doesn't deny the existence of the good games each system got.

Not to say the Wii competes with the PS2, because quite frankly it gets nowhere near it, but no console last generation did. The only thing that has gotten close over the past few years is the DS.
Pretty much this.

Top Bottom