• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people keep saying that "Wii won last gen?"

The Wii is winning. The Wii has not won. I believe that's what Parmenides was getting at.

We won't truly know who 'won' until the PS3, 360, and Wii are no longer being sold.

The generation is over. The Wii won. Sales at this point do not matter. You're like a little kid whose basket ball team lost, but is sitting there shooting baskets long after everyone has gone home. Crying No no I'm making up the deficit, we're going to win tomorrow! Look at me!

It's done, the game is over, the generation has ended. The Wii won.

Nothing is going to make the PS3 sell 21 million more units. First party support is dead, 3rd party support is cross generational and not going to push hardware units. By this time in the generation the PS2 had already hit the magical 100 - 150 price range. The PS3 isn't doing that before sales drop off to not worth it.

SmokyDave

Speak for yourself and people who think like you do. Once the new consoles are launched a certain percentage don't care about console sales for dying consoles and count winners based on that cut off point. I agree with you but let's not pretend there aren't different subsets on how long people will wait to stop counting the tallies.
I'd challenge those people to tell me at a glance which sold more: DS or PS2?

Their method would make something simple into something very complicated. What about launches staggered heavily across regions?

So what you're saying is you think he's salty?
I'm just saying that what you're saying might be what I was saying if I'd said what you say I said. Jus' sayin'.

The generation is over. The Wii won. Sales at this point do not matter. You're like a little kid whose basket ball team lost, but is sitting there shooting baskets long after everyone has gone home. Crying No no I'm making up the deficit, we're going to win tomorrow! Look at me!

I've said the Wii is winning all over this thread. Point your squealing angst elsewhere.

How is this cockamamie thread not locked to high hell yet. It is one mad man arguing with figures and facts, raging against the machine.

The Wii won.

I'm sorry you don't like it. I'm sorry you think just because it had different games and different ethics to the PS3/360 it doesn't deserve its trophy. But. The Wii. Won.

I speculated with my previous post that it may've been 3 million. But that was by comparing a number of shipped systems from early 2013 with a number at the START of November, so it could've jumped ahead just because of Black Friday.

I mean the entire FY.

Generation is not over lol. Such delusion.

Again do you people disregard the 50 million PS2 sales that occurred this gen. When people say its the best selling console they no doubt include those sales.

Also you sound like a kid in denial repeating the same lines hoping they would be true if said enough times.

Yagharek

Man, there's just no need to be so salty. It isn't an inevitability given the rapid adoption of the PS4.

When people look at which console 'won' a historic generation, they look at the units sold of each device. That's that. No qualifiers necessary.

Now, if you want to feel that the Wii 'won' because of some other metric (be that 'units sold in my specified time frame' or 'profit generated' or 'number of titles I love' or whatever else), you're quite welcome to. If you want to class the race as over, then go ahead.

That doesn't change the fact that history will record the 'winner' as the device that sells the most units. Full stop. That's how it's always been, that's probably how it will always be. If the PS3 shifts another 30 million units, it will have sold the most of all Gen 7 consoles and it will be the winner. If it doesn't shift enough units to overtake the Wii, the Wii will have sold the most of all Gen 7 consoles and it will be the winner.

It doesn't matter. It's just the sort of thing that enthusiasts take interest in. Like software LTDs and such.

Seriously people, listen to Dave
. He is one of the most calm voices of reason in this thread and we all know he has no horse in this race
unless Vita sales take off big time
. Wii is winning on current figures. PS3 might win if they keep it alive for long enough. That's how we've always measured it.

Think of it this way: if PS3 and 360 were the only consoles last gen, and they still were neck and neck as they are now (approx 80m), then the winner would be decided fairly quickly if one of them stopped manufacturing their system in the move to the new gen.

That is the same situation we have now, only with Wii as the extra platform. They have a 20m gap, and at current sales rates, PS3 could plausibly sell 20m more in 3-5 years depending on price/interest. Wii might get a few more million if they keep up a couple of million per year, that's a possibility.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If the Wii has no achievements how can it possibly be the winner?

To listen to Nintendo fans, its more like "last gen is over when Nintendo says so".
I thought the usually stance was when all the new systems are out. Or are we still waiting for Amazon's machine?

Again do you people disregard the 50 million PS2 sales that occurred this gen. When people say its the best selling console they no doubt include those sales.

The PS3 is NOT the PS2. It's not going to get another 21 million units of sales now. The PS2 still had major first party titles like God of War 2 coming out after the PS3 launched, and it was in the 150 - 100 dollar price range BEFORE the PS3 launched. The PS3 has nothing on the level of system seller like God of War 2 coming, and any 3rd party support that is worth a damn is cross generation. Plus the system is so fucking expensive to make that it has no hope of hitting 100$ at any point that is going to be worth a damn. Besides the fact that the PS2's successor cost 6x what it did at the time. The PS4 is 150 bucks more than the PS3. All of these factors point to a fast transition from the PS3 to the PS4 and no where's near the slow transition that the PS3 faced, which lead to the PS2 ranking up large sales numbers post the start of the next generation.

SmokyDave

I thought the usually stance was when all the new systems are out. Or are we still waiting for Amazon's machine?
How does that work though? When all three are launched in all major regions? If you're defining the start of the next generation as the finish line, why wait for all three to be released? Why not just the first of the next generation?

Again, how do you quickly calculate which sold more of the DS and the PS2 if you're having to use this weird arbitrary time? What about SNES vs Megadrive? Is the PS2 really the best selling console if a full third of its sales don't count?

LTD sales make much more sense. That's how the sales will be recorded as time goes forward, that's how sales of past consoles are stated.

Yagharek

LTD sales make much more sense. That's how the sales will be recorded as time goes forward, that's how sales of past consoles are stated.

Also people don't stop buying the old machines when the new ones come out. There is always an untapped budget market, and people who are late adopters, or those who buy systems with large libraries not small launch year lineups.

Sandfox

The PS3 is NOT the PS2. It's not going to get another 21 million units of sales now. The PS2 still had major first party titles like God of War 2 coming out after the PS3 launched, and it was in the 150 - 100 dollar price range BEFORE the PS3 launched. The PS3 has nothing on the level of system seller like God of War 2 coming, and any 3rd party support that is worth a damn is cross generation. Plus the system is so fucking expensive to make that it has no hope of hitting 100$ at any point that is going to be worth a damn. Besides the fact that the PS2's successor cost 6x what it did at the time. The PS4 is 150 bucks more than the PS3. All of these factors point to a fast transition from the PS3 to the PS4 and no where's near the slow transition that the PS3 faced, which lead to the PS2 ranking up large sales numbers post the start of the next generation.

There's also the fact that the 360 is more popular in the US while the PS2 didn't have any competition at its price point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That was less of a comment of when sales don't count and just a when do we consider next gen the current gen and the previous gen last gen inquiry. I mean if we were to count from the point of the first systems coming out do we count from the release of the 3DS and Vita meaning we've been in the 8th gen for years?

Of course I expect people to still use the term next gen for this gen for at least another three years because apparently 85% of the world's dictionaries have been lost.

Eusis

I mean the entire FY.
Ah right, and that would be a harder number anyway.
God of War II didn't seem to be THAT big of a deal though it sold very well, and games like Dark Souls II, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, and South Park: Stick of Truth aren't crossgen, nevermind a bunch of smaller 3rd party titles. It doesn't seem very likely that it'll surpass Wii ultimately, especially if they can't get the system costs down enough afterall, but it sure as hell looks to stay active longer at least and the gap isn't TOO unreasonably big, but it may be just enough.

The 360 does look to be the biggest obstacle admittedly as they'd keep taking at least half the sales in the US and probably close to half elsewhere, but that probably depends partially on how strongly Microsoft will support that.
I read the title at first as 'Wii won't last this gen'.
I was going to joke that usually last gen systems wouldn't through a new generation... But geez, most of these old winners actually DID survive until just past or before the start of the next-next generation. And given the switch to Wii Mini it actually looks plausible that the Wii WOULD be the exception.

Also people don't stop buying the old machines when the new ones come out. There is always an untapped budget market, and people who are late adopters, or those who buy systems with large libraries not small launch year lineups.

Exactly.

It doesn't have to be the PS2 lol. 20 million is what it needs to do. There are numerous reasons why the PS2 did so well......God of War 2 is pretty much at the bottom of that list.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don't think some gamers realize that past systems saw great sales once a new generation emerged, and they became the older "budget" option.

I LOVE this thread, we have had strategically moved goalpost, and each time It's refuted, another one comes out. Now we are at "Nobody won last gen cause It's still going" I like it, let's see if it sticks.

There's also the fact that the 360 is more popular in the US while the PS2 didn't have any competition at its price point.

Yeah I think the PS3 is only going to sell around 1 million in the US this year, same in Japan. Not sure about Europe. If their Gaikai tech research leads them to a smaller PS3 cell/chipset, we might see a smaller, cheaper PS3, but otherwise it doesn't feel like it's going to sell in the tens of millions from here.

Eusis

On that note, I suspect that as long as cross gen games exist there too exists the possibility for something of a synergy effect. PS2 mattered enough to produce a Rock Band SKU for it, and I imagine the likes of MGSV could still sell really well on PS3/360.

On that note, I suspect that as long as cross gen games exist there too exists the possibility for something of a synergy effect. PS2 mattered enough to produce a Rock Band SKU for it, and I imagine the likes of MGSV could still sell really well on PS3/360.

Destiny, Watchdogs, COD will still come out for it as will FIFA 15......these consoles are still being supported by the biggest blockbusters.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I LOVE this thread, we have had strategically moved goalpost, and each time It's refuted, another one comes out. Now we are at "Nobody won last gen cause It's still going" I like it, let's see if it sticks.

It's not moving goalposts, it's stating a fact. How many Genesis and SNES consoles sold in the 16-bit era? Because according to your logic the cutoff point was when 3DO released in October 1993.

SmokyDave

It's fairly simple. Imagine the question phrased as 'Which of the generation 7 consoles sold the most units?'. We can't give a definitive answer because they're still on sale, and they're still selling.

If your definition of 'winning' is not 'selling the most units of the Generation 7 consoles', then you can comfortably declare a winner right now.

Gannd

Banned
It's not moving goalposts, it's stating a fact. How many Genesis and SNES consoles sold in the 16-bit era? Because according to your logic the cutoff point was when 3DO released in October 1993.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are not going to sell 20 million more systems. The PS2 was given a longer tail because of how badly Sony screwed up the PS3.

Gannd

Banned
It's fairly simple. Imagine the question phrased in the past tense as 'Which of the generation 7 consoles sold the most units?'. We can't give a definitive answer because they're still on sale, and they're still selling.

If your definition of 'winning' is not 'selling the most units of the Generation 7 consoles', then you can comfortably declare a winner right now.

We can look at prior generations and see how well they sold in years 8, 9, and 10. It's over. The Wii won. The PS3 isn't going to move another 20 million units.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Pah. Who the hell counts the 3DO in the great SNES Megadrive battle of the 90s?

Seriously people, listen to Dave.

No I will not! Dave loves the Vita, and by principle, I am sworn to disagree with him being a 3DS owner
at least until I get a Vita in the probable future

Seriously though, we can wait until the PS3 and the 360 are officially discontinued, and then people can re-ignite this debate on whether which one officially 'won'. Sony has said they'll be supporting the PS3 until 2015 or so. That's not far off.

In the meantime, people have to accept that the Wii is winning (and if projections of PS3/260 sales maintain according to their current selling point last year, it may have already won).

SmokyDave

We can look at prior generations and see how well they sold in years 8, 9, and 10. It's over. The Wii won. The PS3 isn't going to move another 20 million units.
Sure, as long as you realise that's a prediction, and not a fact.

It's a prediction that I agree with, for what it's worth. I know the Wii is winning. I think the Wii will win. I do not know that the Wii has won.

No I will not! Dave loves the Vita, and by principle, I am sworn to disagree with him being a 3DS owner
I own a 3DS as well, so we can be friends.

Eusis

Destiny, Watchdogs, COD will still come out for it as will FIFA 15......these consoles are still being supported by the biggest blockbusters.
We'll probably see a Fifa 25 if the PS2's any indication.
To his credit I imagine he considered the cut off date when all relevant next-gen systems were out, so it'd probably be when the XB1 launched as the last of the next gen consoles, and the equivalent then was the N64 launching. And neither XB1 or PS4 have even launched in all of their major countries yet.

Though on that note the SNES had at least an extra year of support in the states, and two or three more in Japan. I think that got a Fire Emblem in 1999.
Pft, true handheld fans know it's 3DS/Vita against mobile anyway.
And against ambivalence outside of Japan.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Xbox 360 and PS3 are not going to sell 20 million more systems. The PS2 was given a longer tail because of how badly Sony screwed up the PS3.

Probably not, but I'm just saying this whole "the gen ends when a new gen starts" is nonsense. Nobody ignores the sales of any system just because a new generation of hardware starts. When Dreamcast released the sales of N64 and PSone didn't stop counting did they? That's all I'm saying.

As to PS3 catching up to Wii, it's probably not going to happen. But in the end I think they'll close the gap a little more, and have had hopefully made up for the terrible start.

Ah right, and that would be a harder number anyway.

God of War II didn't seem to be THAT big of a deal though it sold very well, and games like Dark Souls II, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, and South Park: Stick of Truth aren't crossgen, nevermind a bunch of smaller 3rd party titles. It doesn't seem very likely that it'll surpass Wii ultimately, especially if they can't get the system costs down enough afterall, but it sure as hell looks to stay active longer at least and the gap isn't TOO unreasonably big, but it may be just enough.

The 360 does look to be the biggest obstacle admittedly as they'd keep taking at least half the sales in the US and probably close to half elsewhere, but that probably depends partially on how strongly Microsoft will support that.

I was going to joke that usually last gen systems wouldn't through a new generation... But geez, most of these old winners actually DID survive until just past or before the start of the next-next generation. And given the switch to Wii Mini it actually looks plausible that the Wii WOULD be the exception.

Dark Souls II, Castlevania, and South Park aren't PS3 exclusives, and there are plenty of options to play them. God of War II is the PS2's 13th best selling game and did 4.5 million WW. What is coming exclusively to the PS3 this year or next that is going to do 4.5 million WW and be in the top 20 of best PS3 games sold? Mean while on a system that still costs 250 bucks.

Yes technically it is not impossible for the PS3 to sell another 21 million units before even Sony doesn't give a shit about it. It's just not very likely and to try and build an argument around this gen not being over because the PS3 is the little engine that can is just silly.

It doesn't have to be the PS2 lol. 20 million is what it needs to do. There are numerous reasons why the PS2 did so well......God of War 2 is pretty much at the bottom of that list.

20 million is a lot of Units. You want it to basically sell 1/4 of it's life to date sales in the next couple years with falling YoY numbers. A life to date sales total that it took 7 1/2 years to reach.

So no comment on how the PS2 was 1/6th the price, or 500 dollars cheaper than its successor at the time, but the PS3 is only 150 bucks cheaper than it's successor. God of War II doesn't matter but was a PS2 exclusive that sold 4.5 million units after it's successor launched. What PS3 exclusive in 2014 or 2015 is doing that?

It's not impossible but its highly HIGHLY unlikely. We're already on the PS3's second redesign and shrinking and it's still 250 bucks. The PS4 could possibly become cheaper to manufacture before the PS3 drops in cost again.

I don't think I'm being ridiculous here , it took 30 pages to find a defense against the Wii winning last gen *and it has* that wasn't tied to a subjective opinion. People please, the ps2 was in production for 5 years after the xbox ended, and using this as an argument for how the Ps3 might sell 20 million more. Generations have a defined period of time and the last gen is coming to an end. How much longer should we wait? Cause I promise people don't think the 6th gen was 1999-2013

The Wii left the Marathon in 2011 because he died of dehydration. And yet, in 2014 - 3 years later, the competition still hasn´t caught up. The race is over, the audience is already cheering for the new marathon and yet some diehard fans in denial are still watching their old champions crippling down the road. "You can do it!" "Just a couple more years!" "Please don´t die! - Keep going!, I bet my whole manlyhood on you!" The poor runner can´t hear it anymore. He is still miles behind, his legs are bleeding and the supporters have left the race. But he can do it! If he keeps crawling, maybe, maybe he will come as far as the Wii. It might take another 5 years but he can do it. For the Fans. He can make it. Believe.

Eusis

3DO started the 32-bit generation. You can't ignore it just because it didn't set the world on fire.
I'm not sure you can count something that ended almost literally once that generation actually got going. But then we count the Dreamcast for the PS2/GC/Xbox generation so I think ignorance is more likely the reason to not count it. As in "wait what was the 3DO again?"

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't think I'm being ridiculous here , it took 30 pages to find a defense against the Wii winning last gen *and it has* that wasn't tied to a subjective opinion. People please, the ps2 was in production for 5 years after the xbox ended, and using this as an argument for how the Ps3 might sell 20 million more. Generations have a defined period of time and the last gen is coming to an end. How much longer should we wait? Cause I promise people don't think the 6th gen was 1999-2013

It doesn't matter what "people" think. A generation lasts from it's birth to it's end, which isn't defined by what gamers think, but rather when the last console of the generation is put out to pasture. Consoles generations overlap, it's a fact.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It doesn't matter what "people" think. A generation lasts from it's birth to it's end, which isn't defined by what gamers think, but rather when the last console of the generation is put out to pasture. Consoles generations overlap, it's a fact.

But can we start using the term current gen to describe the Wii U, XBone and PS4 now or do we still have to wait?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not sure you can count something that ended almost literally once that generation actually got going. But then we count the Dreamcast for the PS2/GC/Xbox generation so I think ignorance is more likely the reason to not count it. As in "wait what was the 3DO again?"

I don't know 3DO's total sales, but I recall reading they had sold around 700,000 units when Saturn and Playstation were launching. Of course those sales were considered pretty good back then. My how times have changed!

So then generation 2 lasted from 1983 - 2003? Since Nintendo didn't stop production of new famicoms until 2003.

*edit* I suppose that's technically the 3rd generation.

Are you going to argue that the 6th gen of gaming was 14 years long simply because the ps2 remained in production as a FIFA birth mother.

But can we start using the term current gen to describe the Wii U, XBone and PS4 now or do we still have to wait?

So then generation 2 lasted from 1983 - 2003? Since Nintendo didn't stop production of new famicoms until 2003.

Are you going to argue that the 6th gen of gaming was 14 years long simply because the ps2 remained in production as a FIFA birth mother.

Guys, I think this is being disingenuous. I think most sane people will agree that the 7th generation ended when the Wii U got introduced, and was eventually followed by the PS4 and One. However, it is still perfectly reasonable to say that, on the basis and discussion of how many units were sold for that generation, we can't just disregard any new units of 7th gen consoles being sold just because 8th gen started.

Eusis

Dark Souls II, Castlevania, and South Park aren't PS3 exclusives, and there are plenty of options to play them. God of War II is the PS2's 13th best selling game and did 4.5 million WW. What is coming exclusively to the PS3 this year or next that is going to do 4.5 million WW and be in the top 20 of best PS3 games sold? Mean while on a system that still costs 250 bucks.

Yes technically it is not impossible for the PS3 to sell another 21 million units before even Sony doesn't give a shit about it. It's just not very likely and to try and build an argument around this gen not being over because the PS3 is the little engine that can is just silly.
While those games don't have the punch of a console exclusive (though there's plenty of those for the niche circles coming out if nothing else) I actually wonder what REALLY sells a system at this point in time. Cheap sports game boxes? Or for people who want to comb an older library?

Still, I can't deny those games, while more effective than cross gen, aren't as effective as full exclusives, and you still need a massive price drop for a real chance at overtopping the Wii. If production really can not get any cheaper at all then yeah, the best it can hope for is being within a stone's throwing distance from the Wii.
The Wii left the Marathon in 2011 because he died of dehydration. And yet, in 2014 - 3 years later, the competition still hasn´t caught up. The race is over, the audience is already cheering for the new marathon and yet some diehard fans in denial are still watching their old champions crippling down the road. "You can do it!" "Just a couple more years!" "Please don´t die! - Keep going!, I bet my whole manlyhood on you!" The poor runner can´t hear it anymore. He is still miles behind, his legs are bleeding and the supporters have left the race. But he can do it! If he keeps crawling, maybe, maybe he will come as far as the Wii. It might take another 5 years but he can do it. For the Fans. He can make it. Believe.
Well, it honestly is kind of morbidly fascinating. If it was at half the sales this wouldn't be worth discussing as the Wii would've undoubtedly beat 360/PS3 combined, but not only did it fail to do that specifically but they're close enough that it's not far fetched a combo of massive price drops and continued support can close the gap fast.
It's not wholly without merit, it took the SNES 9 years I believe from its initial Japanese release to the final Japanese game, and many of those systems stay in production for around a decade if really successful. If anything there's a case to be made for measuring most active years, and years until it finally croaked. And for our sake only count licensed games, otherwise the Genesis, Dreamcast, and maybe even the NES are some sort of undead abominations.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not being disingenuous, I actually want to know. Took people years to stop calling the Wii, PS3 and 360 next gen systems so I need to know if we're going to continue this trend or not with the new batch of systems.

Eusis

I'm not being disingenuous, I actually want to know. Took people years to stop calling the Wii, PS3 and 360 next gen systems so I need to know if we're going to continue this trend or not with the new batch of systems.
A lot of that was because the PS2 just would not die and the next gen consoles were stubborn with price drops, and STILL are. Once you don't see the old systems in stores except maybe for very tiny sections and "next gen" systems are $200 or less they don't seem very next gen anymore.

Or, at least that's what I think. Then there's the fact time seems to pass faster when you're older which probably throws off our gut feelings more.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

PS4, Xbone, and U are the current generation obviously.

I think we can perfectly start calling Wii U, PS4, and One current-gen. If people still refer to them as next-gen, eh, what can you do. We all know there's no gen after them anyway, so we can always know what they meant.

Now calling the Wii U last-gen because of something as stupid as hardware comparison with PS4 and One, though, that's another matter altogether. And is usually spouted off by morons who should know better.

Mackins

How will the console ban being lifted in China affect gen 7 sales? That is one very large market that has opened up!

Also the PS3 factory that recently opened up in Brazil, surely that will bring in some South American sales?

I would genuinely be very shocked if the PS3 doesn't break the 100 million sales barrier in the next few years, it's currently at 82.5 million sales worldwide.

Top Bottom