• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony keeps treating Horizon like it's golden child?

semiconscious

Gold Member
Some people are just in denial that Horizon is a successful francise for Sony.
well, there's that, & i think there's also an element of disappointment with what type of content can now qualify as a successful franchise? personally, while I enjoyed/replayed the original game, it all ended so perfectly that i never really imagined it becoming a series, or aloy becoming a recurring heroine. &, imo, forbidden west confirmed that, in spades...

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
The foundations of the saga were great, with lots of potential:

- Post-apocalyptic setting with dinobots roaming the earth.

- Redhead warrior with a secret past.

- Incredible graphics.

But it takes good writers to reach greatness instead of a premium Ubisoft game. Another dev could have made something super cool with this.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
First game that launched the pc ports initiative.
First (and only?) ps studios game for psvr2.
And now first game that launches on a Nintendo system.

Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next smash bros.
A remake, a gaas and a TV show are also coming.
Are other ps franchises more deserving of this push or has Herman Hulst vanity project gone too far? It's just an ok game!

Remember how, back when FFXIII was the new thing, the Squeenix heads were pushing *hard* to make Lightning as this massive character because the heads had a massive boner for them?

I am sure the same thing here. The heads at western-led Playstation desperately want to be pegged by man-faced McGee over here so they keep pushing her every way they can.

Warablo

The story and mysterious of the world was good the first time around, but I don't know if I could slog through it a 2nd time.

It amuses me to no end, how little self-awareness GAFers have.

You all talk like you represent the current zeitgeist in gaming, when in reality everyone here is a tiny fraction of a minority of the total number of people who buy and own a Playstation.

Might as well ask why Epic Games only makes Fortnite or why Activision puts so much money exclusively into Call or Duty.

The reason is obvious. It's not some conspiracy.

ineedthisforreactions GIF

nial

Gold Member
It's actually something along those lines. One is in charge of first party (which are 99% western) and the other, a Japanese, is head of third party, which nowadays is Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian).
India business is managed by SIEE (producers of Horizon series).

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Banned
It amuses me to no end, how little self-awareness GAFers have.

You all talk like you represent the current zeitgeist in gaming, when in reality everyone here is a tiny fraction of a minority of the total number of people who buy and own a Playstation.

Might as well ask why Epic Games only makes Fortnite or why Activision puts so much money exclusively into Call or Duty.

The reason is obvious. It's not some conspiracy.
As Akira Nakai said so: people want to be stimulated. And this product stimulates them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Whenever Sony is not releasing a game with Aloy, everyone should be asking each other, “where’s Aloy?”

Last edited:

yurinka

First game that launched the pc ports initiative.
First (and only?) ps studios game for psvr2.
And now first game that launches on a Nintendo system.

Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next smash bros.
A remake, a gaas and a TV show are also coming.
Are other ps franchises more deserving of this push or has Herman Hulst vanity project gone too far? It's just an ok game!
It's because Horizon Zero Dawn is the best selling game ever released by SIE.

And well, doesn't have a white male heterosexual protagonist, so it passes the woke censorship checklists. Meaning, SIE's USA HQ or studios like ND may not want to bring back characters like Nathan Drake.

Its sequel started with same/islightly better until they added it to PS+ earlier than usual as a test, which obviously negatively affected its sales. But outside the PS+ think, they were replicating the huge success of the previous one, meaning they have a goldmine there.

The remake is only a rumor from a list that had a lot of wrong guesses/confirmed as fake info. But well, you can replace it for the -almost confirmed- Horizon MMORPG for mobile and PC being developed at NCSoft, and Horizon 3 (this one oficially confirmed to be in the works at Guerrilla).

Last edited:
Top Bottom