• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Fireblend

Banned
Bangai-O. Kirby Superstar is also a great choice, but Bangai-O! is just too addictive.

Also, finish the Phoenix Wright series! The third game is by far the best.

Fireblend said:
Bangai-O. Kirby Superstar is also a great choice, but Bangai-O! is just too addictive.

Also, finish the Phoenix Wright series! The third game is by far the best.

I actually never finished Phoenix Wright 2 :)O). I have a bad backlog problem.

If you like Hotel Dusk you might want to check out Cing's first adventure game for the DS, Trace Memory. There's also the Trauma Center series if you want to try something new.

faceless007 said:
If you like Hotel Dusk you might want to check out Cing's first adventure game for the DS, Trace Memory. There's also the Trauma Center series if you want to try something new.

I used to have the first Trauma Center. Never again.

Hive

Banned
I suggest getting Front Mission~

There are two scenarios, so the game is large, with tons of drama/intrigue.

This is also the reason why I bought a DS, in hopes that a Front Mission game would someday be ported! I got my wish, and it's one of the best experiences I've had on the DS

Get Dragon Quest IV, a lovely old skool RPG with a nice way of story telling.

Big Bang Mini is also great and has a lot of content.

The choise is yours, depending on what you want. Long sessions with a relaxing pace: DQIV, short session with a lot of adrenaline: BBM

Hobbun

I'm really pumped about the next three months for releases on the DS. This is what I plan on purchasing:

My World My Way (yes, it looks girly but I don't care and I am an RPG nut-especially turn-based)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II
Avalon Code
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
The Dark Spire

I am sure there are others that I can't think of right now. But those are enough to get me started. :lol

I plan on picking up Scrabble (if two players are allowed to play on one DS) and Rhythm Heaven within the next couple months. I'm actually starting to be intruiged by Mario and Luigi RPG 3, even though I'm not an RPG fan.

I picked up True Swing Golf again out of desperation for a good golf game. You know what? It's not that bad save for the crappy graphics. If you're a golf nut like me and you need something to play on the DS, give True Swing a shot. It's dirt cheap on walmart.com ($10). I'm really hoping Camelot and/or Nintendo release a We Love Golf DS or Mario Golf DS title sometime this year.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would go with DQIV or Professor Layton, but since you have adventure but few RPG I would go with DQIV. Bangai-O is a cool game but pretty hardcore, so stay away unless you want to sink lots of time into it.

Fireblend

Banned
diffusionx said:
I would go with DQIV or Professor Layton, but since you have adventure but few RPG I would go with DQIV. Bangai-O is a cool game but pretty hardcore, so stay away unless you want to sink lots of time into it.
I disagree about Bangai-O. Once you get used to it most levels become pretty easy and won't require more than a little thinking and a couple of tries, although yes, it can get very frustrating and "hardcore" at times. The addictiveness more than makes up for it though; it's great and the replayability is infinite if you liked the game. You're more likely to sink more time into say, Fire Emblem.

Brodieman: Finish PW2. Play PW3.
And for what it's worth, Professor Layton is also great, but I personally prefer the PW series, and since you already started it, would be a shame to not play through the games (specially since the last game's ending is so rewarding).

Fireblend said:
Brodieman: Finish PW2. Play PW3. And for what it's worth, Professor Layton is also great, but I personally prefer the PW series, and since you already started it, would be a shame to not play through the games (specially since the last game's ending is so rewarding).

I really should. D:

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm actually starting to be intruiged by Mario and Luigi RPG 3, even though I'm not an RPG fan.

The series has a way of seducing non-RPG fans. If you enjoy it, I highly recommend seeking out the first Mario & Luigi and the two Paper Marios for N64/GameCube.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mario & luigi is just fine for non-fans of rpgs. i don't typically care much for them myself, but i play superstar saga and the paper mario games over and over and over. . .

Perhaps you can help me. My touchscreen is decalibrated and every time I choose calibrate I have to tap the top left the center and the bottom right. after that it starts again and again. Is this a bug or is my DS fucked?

Caesar III said:
Perhaps you can help me. My touchscreen is decalibrated and every time I choose calibrate I have to tap the top left the center and the bottom right. after that it starts again and again. Is this a bug or is my DS fucked?

Unless the "towl-trick" works, yeah, your DS is fucked. It happened to my sister's DS, and I had to get her a new one. I use the broken one for non-touch and GBA games.

Tim-E

I recently preordered my DSi (my first DS since the phat at launch, haven't bought any games for it in like 3 years) and I'm really excited to get caught up on the shit ton of great games I've missed out on. This thread will help!

soldat7

Just bought Dawn of Sorrow. Sadly, I much prefer Aria of Sorrow. Maybe it's a mistake to play these two games back to back without some time in between...Dawn of Sorrow is just so frustrating (and a bit lifeless thus far, 20%)...

2009 Recommendations:

- Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero (Action/Adventure)
- Big-Bang Mini (Shmup)
- Retro Game Challenge (8bit)
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (SRPG)

leroidys

Allan Holdsworth said:
2009 Recommendations:

- Big-Bang Mini (Shmup)

How is elebits? I was intrigued because the wii game is awesome, and I heard it was zelda-esque, but all the gameplay i've seen of it is just shooting rocks and touching elebits with your stylus. Is there much more variation than that?

soldat7

charlequin said:
But... Dawn of Sorrow is better than Aria of Sorrow. :eek:

Not by a long shot. It's incredibly frustrating getting souls in Dawn of Sorrow; I'm grinding like there's no tomorrow. I also don't like the weapons as much and weapon forging is really really lame. Strangely enough I'm not a fan of managing a second equipment/soul set with Doppelganger...Lots of micro-management and tedium in this game. And don't get me started on the Magic Seals...ugh..

I do enjoy the increased difficulty level and the better graphics...can't say the same thing for the music though...I think it was a mistake playing this one so close to Aria...I did the same thing with God of War II (after playing God of War) and have the same feelings about that game...

leroidys

soldat7 said:
Not by a long shot. It's incredibly frustrating getting souls in Dawn of Sorrow; I'm grinding like there's no tomorrow. I also don't like the weapons as much and weapon forging is really really lame. Strangely enough I'm not a fan of managing a second equipment/soul set with Doppelganger...Lots of micro-management and tedium in this game. And don't get me started on the Magic Seals...ugh..

I do enjoy the increased difficulty level and the better graphics...can't say the same thing for the music though...I think it was a mistake playing this one so close to Aria...I did the same thing with God of War II (after playing God of War) and have the same feelings about that game...

Just wait
until julius mode

Captain N

soldat7 said:

I love Dawn of sorrow and have played through with everything 6 times so far. I can understand not liking the whole touch screen seals, but the map on the second great is awesome. I maxed out all the souls and everything...I love grinding and that's probably why this game is for me.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Allan Holdsworth said:
2009 Recommendations:

- Big-Bang Mini (Shmup)
The only thing missing from this list is Dragon Quest V.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I was already interested after Kikizo's hands-on, but after that gameplay trailer GTA:CW is going to be mine day 1. I can't believe how this has turned out, I remember thinking what a crappy effort was the game surely going to be on DS when R* announced it.
Boy was I wrong. :D

braves01

Banned
charlequin said:
But... Dawn of Sorrow is better than Aria of Sorrow. :eek:

Right before OoE came out decided to go on a Metroidvania spree, but I decided to play Aria of Sorrow last, so my impressions of the other games wouldn't be warped by AoS' supposed greatness. I have to admit, however, I didn't find AoS that awesome. Surprisingly, I found both CotM and HoD to be the absolute ****, while AoS and DoS were just meh and PoR was the clear outlier (on the down side).

xSL4INx

braves01 said:
Right before OoE came out decided to go on a Metroidvania spree, but I decided to play Aria of Sorrow last, so my impressions of the other games wouldn't be warped by AoS' supposed greatness. I have to admit, however, I didn't find AoS that awesome. Surprisingly, I found both CotM and HoD to be the absolute ****, while AoS and DoS were just meh and PoR was the clear outlier (on the down side).

You're absolutely right. HoD was/still is terrible, along with PoR. Although, I will have to say that AoS and DoS are excellent, as was CotM.

On another note, has everyone forgotten that Platinum comes out in less than a month? Why is it on no one's list? :(

braves01

Banned
xSL4INx said:
You're absolutely right. HoD was/still is terrible

You misunderstand me. I think CotM and HoD are the shit, i.e. awesome. If it weren't for HoD's soundtrack, I think everyone would agree it's just as good (better than?) as Symphony of the Night.

Uncle AJ

Brand new DS owner here. Bought it with Kirby SSU (SuperStar is my most favoritest game ever).

I like action games, shooters, and music/rhythm games. Would prefer not to sprawl for the Guitar Hero peripheral, though. Couldn't find Elite Beat Agents anywhere.

I was interested in The World Ends With You until I saw the $40 price tag. What is that, some sort of arbitrary Square-Enix tax?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mejilan said:
That's not even close to the only thing missing. ;p
That's all I bought so far. ;p

Hive said:
You all had better buy HENRY HATSWORTH! ^^

Nintendo seems to really be pushing for it!
They are? I hope so, I don't want it to sell <1.5k like Moon.

CiSTM

Banned
So many good games, so little time :/

I'm gonna buy following games in this month

- Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
- Pokemon Platinum
- Suikoden Tierkreis
- Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

... Too much of 'em ! :_(

ltse1

I didn't know Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled had a release date...at least it does according to Gamespot. Is this official, GAF? I'm trying not to get too excited until I know it's for realz.

Just a friendly reminder. Scrabble comes out next week. It looks like this will be a game that both the wife (non-gamer) and I can have a good time with.

http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/14306921/scrabble-2009/videos/scrabble_trl_trailer_030309.html

GAME FEATURES

Three Modes of Play

Choose Classic mode to play the timeless, traditional version of SCRABBLE.

Race the clock as you take on the computer or friends in Speed mode.

Put your skills to the test in the SCRABBLE SLAM card game, the newest take on the classic SCRABBLE experience.

Like never before, you can strengthen your vocabulary, pattern recognition, and point strategies through fun and interactive training exercises.

You then can apply your newfound skills in real games against your friends and family as well as our adaptable computer A.I.

Track your progress with the game's built-in Skill Tracker and see how you've improved in each training category.

Challenge your friends and connect with up to four players in Classic, Speed, or SCRABBLE SLAM modes.

Nintendo DS multiplayer modes include Hot Seat (multiple players passing one console), DS Download play (one-cartridge multiplayer) and Multi-Cart play (multiple cartridges allow players to customize game rules and enable additional game features).

Henry Hatsworth is my kind of game. I think I'll pick it up over GTA.

Now, what do you guys think about March of Minis? From the videos I've seen, the visuals are sprucy and poilished, and the presentation is much improved over the GBA game. I love that it uses touch-only controls, but how is the game?

TwiztidElf

After a very quiet end to 2008 for the DS, damn it's been on fire lately.

Peggle,
Chrono Trigger,
Blue Dragon +,
Dragons Quest 5,
Henry Hatsworth,
GTA Chinatown Wars,
Puzzle Quest Galactrix.

This is really getting out of hand.

Top Bottom