• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

Yea, I agree with this. I could do without F-Zero. All of the other ones were a blast.

I haven't played every mode of every attraction but my vote would go towards Octopus Dance. I would want something more directly related to the Game & Watch history. It feels like the filler attraction. Yoshi and F-Zero aren't as large or fully fledged as the others but can be very addicting and make better use of the Pad.

Blades64

Banned
I took the system over to two friends' houses yesterday and we had a blast playing Nintendoland. I think my favorite of the competitive games was Animal Crossing Sweet Day. It inspired the most shouting, and it is hilarious when you are about to get caught and you vomit up 15 pieces of candy to speed up and run away. I was laughing my ass off at that. Mario and Luigi games are both great too. Three of us played Metroid (only had 2 Motion+) and we beat
Kraid in level 10
. That game is awesome and really deep.

Of the single player games, we passed around F-Zero and that was fun as was DK Crash Course. When I got home, I managed to beat DK's game after like 100 tries at the final drop near the finish line. I played the others as well, and Balloon Trip was fun. The other 3 are kinda meh, especially Octopus Dance. How did Takamarku and Game & Watch get attractions but Kirby and Star Fox are totally absent?

Gotta make money off dat DLC. Lol.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm very impressed. Most of the games are very fun. Did anyone else not get a club nintendo pin with their game? I got the deluxe system, but no pin was in the nintendo land case. Am I missing something?

No CN Pin -- but when you do your Club Nintendo survey for the Wii U (after linking your Club Nintendo account to your Wii U eShop account) it will tell you that a 50 coin post play survey for the system/Nintendoland will be available in a week.

linko9

No CN Pin -- but when you do your Club Nintendo survey for the Wii U (after linking your Club Nintendo account to your Wii U eShop account) it will tell you that a 50 coin post play survey for the system/Nintendoland will be available in a week.

Ok thanks. I did the Wii U survey but didn't see that message.

gunstarhero

So what's the concensous about the games?

F-Zero looks like the worst right?

I actually liked Fzero a lot. I think the Link game is by far the worst.

My favorites so far:

Ballon Trip: everything overall is perfect: challenge, graphics and control.

DK Crash: love that they put a really challenging game in here. Frustrating, in a fun way.

Mario Chase and Animal Crossing are my fav multiplayer games so far.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So what's the concensous about the games?

F-Zero looks like the worst right?

Personally, I don't think any of the games are bad. I don't expect Twister Race to actually be F-Zero, it's a funpark ride using Captain Falcon's car. Its play style is inconsistent for some, so I would grant it's the least reliable.

Octopus Dance is simple, but not really bad.

The other 10 games are really good IMO. Some are truly great.

My biggest crit of the package is that the three "competitive" games, Mario Chase, Sweet Day, Haunted Mansion, are fantastic but should have been fleshed out with more levels and single player support. It doesn't feel right that a single person can't enjoy them with tweaked rules.

Otherwise, all good. I do think - now that it's working - the Plaza and Miiverse functions do enhance the attraction of the games. Between coin collecting (complete with "double coin specials" randomly called out for a specific game), and checking the stat page/leader board for other players. I was very charmed by how they turn checking out other people's Miis into a game by pointing out three Miis of interest for you to hunt down at any given time. And be rewarded by finding them with something like coins.

Memles

Regarding F-Zero, which I'm enjoying and which I think is getting a bad rap unfairly, I have had some issues with connection during the game. I discovered a logical reason: my hand was occasionally slipping up and covering the IR sensor, and the gamepad doesn't respond well to that. At all. It's a design flaw in that your hand gradually moves upwards from the suggested position as stages get more heated, but I found once I got used to resettling myself the recalibrations every four stages made the game quite playable.

I'd single out Octopus Dance as the weakest event, if only because it feels so devoid of distinct personality or purpose. It's not poorly built, gameplay wise, but the design trappings don't match the rest of the package well enough. More could have been done.

olimpia84

Octopus Dance is definitely the weakest game. Fzero is ok but the gamepad sometimes feels a bit off center even after it's calibrated.

Darryl

Banned
I'm not the biggest fan of Octopus Dance but it's my girlfriends favorite game. This collection needed at least one rhythm game.

Kai Dracon

Octopus Dance could have benefited from the creative and elaborate presentation of Ninja Castle.

AntMurda

Otherwise, all good. I do think - now that it's working - the Plaza and Miiverse functions do enhance the attraction of the games. Between coin collecting (complete with "double coin specials" randomly called out for a specific game), and checking the stat page/leader board for other players.

I still don't see any mii activity in NSMB or Nintendo Land. I think i've maybe seend 1-2 miis in each game so far, and they almost seem generic.

Also, how do you see stat page and leader board for other players? This was something I was hoping for but the only thing i've seen is the ability to see your own stats, and stats of other miss on your hardware.

Why couldnt each individual game stat have a tracker os segment on miiverse directly. That would have been awesome and much better than achievements.

I swear the Metroid game had to have been a Starfox minigame. I really wished there was some Starfox anything in this game.

Love the look and gameplay of the Zelda and Pikmin games. Makes me very anxious for Pikmin 3 and a new Zelda

Haven't had a chance to play with other people yet. I really want to try Luigi's Mansion.

Teknoman

I actually liked Fzero a lot. I think the Link game is by far the worst.

My favorites so far:

Ballon Trip: everything overall is perfect: challenge, graphics and control.

DK Crash: love that they put a really challenging game in here. Frustrating, in a fun way.

Mario Chase and Animal Crossing are my fav multiplayer games so far.

Link was pretty fun for me. Main quest with 2-3 players? Fun stuff.

Octopus Dance has been surprisingly compelling for me, to the point where I got a platinum trophy for it. The concept could have been taken even farther with even more tricks to confuse the player. Maybe there is enough there now. Earlier today I was rocking it, but tonight I can't even get to the end of the original stages.

This game didn't get amazing for me until the miiverse linked in. Then there were people chattering everywhere and the whole place just felt ALIVE.

WELL FUCKING DONE.

JoeFu

Banned
So yeah, the night music has to be the snazziest song ever. Its so awesome. Its the only one where I don't like the 8-bit version more.

NFreak

Was playing some Nintendo Land tonight and the game kept freezing up on me. People on Miiverse seemed to have the same issues so it seems to be a software problem and not a problem with the console itself. Anyone here have the problem?

Was playing some Nintendo Land tonight and the game kept freezing up on me. People on Miiverse seemed to have the same issues so it seems to be a software problem and not a problem with the console itself. Anyone here have the problem?
Yeah, freezing seems to be rather common.

Anyway, I got a white button as a prize. I've been pushing it, and while it makes a sound, it doesn't appear to do anything. Does anyone know what it does?

Yeah, it's freezing for me too. Froze twice in a row earlier. Was fine after that, but it's still annoying. And of course you have to unplug the Wii U every time it does that, which always makes me nervous.

That might be the case. I remember playing Shadow War on my 3DS (launch game) with a few lock ups. I thought my 3DS was defective but it hasn't happened with any other game. It's weird here though, being a Nintendo developed game.

NFreak

That might be the case. I remember playing Shadow War on my 3DS (launch game) with a few lock ups. I thought my 3DS was defective but it hasn't happened with any other game. It's weird here though, being a Nintendo developed game.

Peeps on Miiverse seemed to say they started having problems at around the same time which was weird. I didn't have any problems until now.

Pineconn

Yeah, it's freezing for me too. Froze twice in a row earlier. Was fine after that, but it's still annoying. And of course you have to unplug the Wii U every time it does that, which always makes me nervous.

Nah. My Wii has frozen probably a hundred times thanks to GoldenEye and MW3 online, so a few freezes now are probably harmless.

dock

How essential are Motion Plus enabled wiimotes for this? I only have two, but I want to play the five player games.

(curious as to whether they'll work for 4 player NSMBU either)

dock

You are good to go with regular wiimotes with the other attractions (and NSMBU) Metroid also requires nunchuk attachments for the motion-plus players.

Thanks! I'll see what I can scrape together. I only have two nunchucks too, but I might be able to pool resources with a friend or two.

Kai Dracon

I still don't see any mii activity in NSMB or Nintendo Land. I think i've maybe seend 1-2 miis in each game so far, and they almost seem generic.

Also, how do you see stat page and leader board for other players? This was something I was hoping for but the only thing i've seen is the ability to see your own stats, and stats of other miss on your hardware.

Why couldnt each individual game stat have a tracker os segment on miiverse directly. That would have been awesome and much better than achievements.

Sorry for the late reply. When Miiverse is working and populating the Plaza with user Miis, tapping on one (I believe) brings up a big infopane with all their achievements and stats for Nintendoland.

Plus when working it gives you an image of 3 Miis currently in your Plaza that you can chase down and interrogate for a message and a reward of some kind. Before they get away / sorted out of the Plaza.

Personally I am seeing NintendoLand's interface as by and large a tutorial for developers on how to leverage Miiverse for interesting and interactive statistic sharing and "achievements". In a sense, I like that it's left up to developers how to use stuff in their game, rather than restricting everyone to a set framework. On the other hand, developers have to be... not lazy... in order to go the distance. Which could be a problem with many or most developers.

AntMurda

Sorry for the late reply. When Miiverse is working and populating the Plaza with user Miis, tapping on one (I believe) brings up a big infopane with all their achievements and stats for Nintendoland.

Plus when working it gives you an image of 3 Miis currently in your Plaza that you can chase down and interrogate for a message and a reward of some kind. Before they get away / sorted out of the Plaza.

Personally I am seeing NintendoLand's interface as by and large a tutorial for developers on how to leverage Miiverse for interesting and interactive statistic sharing and "achievements". In a sense, I like that it's left up to developers how to use stuff in their game, rather than restricting everyone to a set framework. On the other hand, developers have to be... not lazy... in order to go the distance. Which could be a problem with many or most developers.

That's pretty nifty. But i still think it is a much better idea to have a section in miiverse where your friends games played appear in rows with like game time, completion rate, collectibles or challenges completed. Like a way to compare stats without the structured and irrelevant standard achievement score.

olimpia84

Yeah, freezing seems to be rather common.

Anyway, I got a white button as a prize. I've been pushing it, and while it makes a sound, it doesn't appear to do anything. Does anyone know what it does?

I was wondering the same thing. I got the button as a prize this morning.

Tik-Tok

So I tried to play the Zelda game with my girlfriend yesterday and after the instructions, it said for me to hit the A button on the gamepad, and for her to point the wii mote at the TV.
I hit A. It said OK! She pointed at the TV... nothing. We could NOT get the game to start. Tried calibrating all the controllers ... nothing.
I have no idea what happened. :/

MarkusRJR

So far I've had 4 hard lock ups playing Nintendo Land. It seems really unstable. Hopefully Nintendo issues an update with a fix.

Regarding F-Zero, which I'm enjoying and which I think is getting a bad rap unfairly, I have had some issues with connection during the game. I discovered a logical reason: my hand was occasionally slipping up and covering the IR sensor, and the gamepad doesn't respond well to that. At all. It's a design flaw in that your hand gradually moves upwards from the suggested position as stages get more heated, but I found once I got used to resettling myself the recalibrations every four stages made the game quite playable.

I'd single out Octopus Dance as the weakest event, if only because it feels so devoid of distinct personality or purpose. It's not poorly built, gameplay wise, but the design trappings don't match the rest of the package well enough. More could have been done.
There is no IR camera/sensor on the Game Pad. If you mean the built in sensor bar, that does nothing related to motion controls. Once calibrated there is no way to manually recalibrate (they should have set a button to calibrating but they didn't), and unlike WM+ games it won't automatically recalibrate to the sensor bar's position. Those two factors mean that the game Pad isn't really suited for intense motion based games because there will be a lot of drift. The reason we see the calibration problems in F-Zero and not in other Game Pad games is probably due to how fast the game requires the user to go back and forth with the Game Pad vertically (the rest of the games don't have as much harsh movement constantly going on). It sucks because they could have made the drift much more manageable if they added a recalibration button (similar to down on the d-pad of a Wii Remote+).

Kai Dracon

So I tried to play the Zelda game with my girlfriend yesterday and after the instructions, it said for me to hit the A button on the gamepad, and for her to point the wii mote at the TV.
I hit A. It said OK! She pointed at the TV... nothing. We could NOT get the game to start. Tried calibrating all the controllers ... nothing.
I have no idea what happened. :/

FYI this happened here once - wiimote wouldn't register. We finally tried unplugging and replugging the sensor bar while at a screen like that, and suddenly the wiimote worked.

I think there may be a glitch where the sensor bar isn't turned on when initializing some games - it's just two LEDs that the wiimote is looking for to confirm it is aimed at the TV.

D-e-f-

Banned
What amazes me about this game are all the different reactions to the various games. One person's absolute favorite is completely dismissed by another and vice versa. Weirdly that also seems to apply to the general ZombiU & NSMBU reaction.

Still can't wait to jump into the Nintendo Land myself (been really loving all the music I've heard on videos so far)

MarkusRJR

What amazes me about this game are all the different reactions to the various games. One person's absolute favorite is completely dismissed by another and vice versa. Weirdly that also seems to apply to the general ZombiU & NSMBU reaction.

Still can't wait to jump into the Nintendo Land myself (been really loving all the music I've heard on videos so far)
Yeah I was Surprised to hear a lot of people hated the Zelda game as it's my favorite. I absolutely loved Wii Sports Resort's sword fighting levels though so that's probably why. I played those levels for so many hours. For me it's like getting an HD Zelda themed sequel, and I couldn't be happier. :)

Teknoman

Yeah I was Surprised to hear a lot of people hated the Zelda game as it's my favorite. I absolutely loved Wii Sports Resort's sword fighting levels though so that's probably why. I played those levels for so many hours. For me it's like getting an HD Zelda themed sequel, and I couldn't be happier. :)

Likewise. Not sure how people are sour with Octopus Dance either. The way everything comes together there just...works. Now Mario Chase? I can see that getting boring fast.

Ok, I just played some more of the single player games and actually looked at my old TV for some of them and I have to say, the majority of the games I played are so polished and fun that I think this might be the best game of the launch.
New Super Mario Brothers U is very satisfying though and I haven't played nearly enough of it.

Games of Nintendoland I have played and my very quick assessment:

Metroid Blast(only could play singleplayer using the ship): Trinen was right if it keeps this up, it feels like a fleshed out full game compared to many minigames out there. The control is spot on, the look of the game just exudes fun and it's deeper than I thought it'd be. I think it's great.

Pikwin Adventure: Notice title, enough said(might get a tad repetitive but what's there is very strong).

Balloon Trip Breeze: Finally played this on my shitty TV because I am not sure if you can play it without the TV but while the game looked like ass on my standard definition TV, I know how fantastic its art is from seeing videos and it looks wonderful on the Gamepad. A simple game with a ton of charm and very clever nuances, another winner.

Donkey Kong Crash Course: I haven't spent much time with this one but if you like tilt games, it's definitely good. Not as compelling and didn't bring a smile to my face as much as the ones I talked about and really liked but not shit.

Yoshi's Fruit Kart(or Cart or whatever): Nothing to look at at all(especially seeing the lines you have already drawn messily on the screen) but a really well thought out concept that I can tell is going to be very difficult in its peculiar way. I think it has potential for me to like this one a lot despite many I have seen that dismiss it or don't enjoy it.

Zelda Battle: Great art like some of the other games here and potentially really cool as it plays very well but I dislike that it is on rails, could have been much more and deeper(see Metroid Blast).

F-Zero GX Killer: Not at all one of my favorites but it's playable and it's not horrid, almost feels like a dance game the way you desperately turn the Gamepad to steer through the more harsh corners. A game I would try again but not one I will keep going back to.

Takamura's Ninja Castle: Works better than I thought it would, didn't play much but kind of cool and looks nice. I'm guessing it will be fun from time to time but not one I will think of playing first or second when I play Nintendoland.

If you don't mind the style of this game, the presentatinal value is very high and everything looks slick and like a lot of time was spent on the organization of it all.

It's not Wii Sports.
I like more games here than that cool game.

I'm going to try reluctantly to try out some of the multiplayer games everyone raves about but I was kind of hoping I would get to play them on a TV that did the clean look of the game justice.
The scores are fair that we have seen from many a source(seems the 7 range) but I'd score it higher and I haven't even gotten into the "meat" of Nintendoland.
If you're not expecting carbon copies of the IPs in this collection and are openminded to charming fun singleplayer games, this is it, a must have.

I can't recommend the other games as I haven't played them but they look a ton of fun, especially that fucking Animal Crossing one.

Top Bottom