• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

Being as dense as i am, i just NOW realized all of a sudden how brilliant this idea of Nintendoland really was by them, trying to introduce casual gamers to their core and main franchises via the route of little minigames themed after them. People that enjoy this will probably check out the corresponding main game once it hits the market later on and go "Ohhh, Pikmin 3? Isn't that like that little minigame we had so much fun with?" Chance of a sale probably just went up in such a scenario...

shira

Being as dense as i am, i just NOW realized all of a sudden how brilliant this idea of Nintendoland really was by them, trying to introduce casual gamers to their core and main franchises via the route of little minigames themed after them. People that enjoy this will probably check out the corresponding main game once it hits the market later on and go "Ohhh, Pikmin 3? Isn't that like that little minigame we had so much fun with?" Chance of a sale probably just went up in such a scenario...

Super Smash Brothers: Casual Minigames

MarkusRJR

I just played 20 more minutes of F-Zero, and now I'm never touching it again. I posted earlier that there were calibration problems (it would lose calibration really easily) and it gets really bad after playing past 4 or 5 tunnels. I pretty much had to put the tablet horizontal to get it to go straight. The annoying thing is there's no actual re-calibrate/center button (like the down button on nearly every WM+ game) so once it's uncentered you're pretty much fun. What a letdown.

Kenka

I just played 20 more minutes of F-Zero, and now I'm never touching it again. I posted earlier that there were calibration problems (it would lose calibration really easily) and it gets really bad after playing past 4 or 5 tunnels. I pretty much had to put the tablet horizontal to get it to go straight. The annoying thing is there's no actual re-calibrate/center button (like the down button on nearly every WM+ game) so once it's uncentered you're pretty much fun. What a letdown.
I need more impressions on that one. Is the calibration issue also something you saw in other mini-games?

gzero

I was so excited to play this yesterday. Unfortunately I seem to have a defective Wii U Pad, as the "move the pad to look around" part works for up/down motion but not left/right. At first I thought maybe I misread the instructions, but the Zelda mini game was impossible to play without being able to aim properly. After a call with Nintendo (very impressed with the short wait queues on the phone yesterday by the way), it looks like I have to send the pad in for repair. At least I can boot the system and play Mario U with only Wiimotes.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How do I beat area 11 of crash course?

RZNXu.jpg

I really love Pikmin Adventure. It looks so good and I love that it's off tv compatible. Do the regular Pikmin games play like this somewhat? i never had the chance to play them.

They're deeper and the pacing isn't as hectic but for what it is, the Nintendoland game is a very good representative of the charm of the series.

It's like an arcadey version of the series.

I agree with the your post, just got done playing the game by my lonesome and with the TV off, it's fucking great and so is Metroid Blast that way.

oatmeal

Banned
Buuu...buuu...buuut the RAM is 40% slower than on 360/PS3!

It is?

Nevermind.

Looks like shit.

I really love Pikmin Adventure. It looks so good and I love that it's off tv compatible. Do the regular Pikmin games play like this somewhat? i never had the chance to play them.

Pretty damn similar, but the real ones have the RTS aspect of managing your Pikmin colors that make it a lot deeper.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
How do I beat area 11 of crash course?

What's the issue that you're having? Always falling and exploding there? I found that you actually have to go really fast, so you don't tilt over off the edge. It's the tilting that explodes you. Not TOO fast though.

Anyplace with one of those big yellow explosion markers in the background means "GO FAST!!!!"

Can somebody please explain how to get my friends' Miis into this game? Two of my friends put Miis on my system (from their 3DS) but they do not show up in Nintendoland. Do they need to have system-level accounts too? That seems crazy to me.

dankir

Played for about an hour last night with the wife. Finally stopped playing AC3 to let her check out the shiny new purchase.

Luigi's Mansion or whatever its called is great, so damn fun. With 4 to 5 players I can imagine is being a great party game.

Mario Chase loved every minute of it.

The Zelda archery game was great although I wish I could move my Mii around the arena rather than being just stationary.

I played the Pikmin battle game with her, but I guess you have to have played Pikmin before cuz she had no idea what was going on lol. Was still fun anyways but man am I ever excited for Pikmin 3,

Focused on these games for now but great way to showcase what this system can do.

Wii U has been very impressive so far.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can somebody please explain how to get my friends' Miis into this game? Two of my friends put Miis on my system (from their 3DS) but they do not show up in Nintendoland. Do they need to have system-level accounts too? That seems crazy to me.

My understanding is that since you can have like three thousand Miis or some nonsense, the system decides which ones to actually include in your games by whether you've marked them as "favorite" or not. That list is much smaller, topping out around 50 I think.

I took the system over to two friends' houses yesterday and we had a blast playing Nintendoland. I think my favorite of the competitive games was Animal Crossing Sweet Day. It inspired the most shouting, and it is hilarious when you are about to get caught and you vomit up 15 pieces of candy to speed up and run away. I was laughing my ass off at that. Mario and Luigi games are both great too. Three of us played Metroid (only had 2 Motion+) and we beat
Kraid in level 10
. That game is awesome and really deep.

Of the single player games, we passed around F-Zero and that was fun as was DK Crash Course. When I got home, I managed to beat DK's game after like 100 tries at the final drop near the finish line. I played the others as well, and Balloon Trip was fun. The other 3 are kinda meh, especially Octopus Dance. How did Takamarku and Game & Watch get attractions but Kirby and Star Fox are totally absent?

My understanding is that since you can have like three thousand Miis or some nonsense, the system decides which ones to actually include in your games by whether you've marked them as "favorite" or not. That list is much smaller, topping out around 50 I think.

I think I need to clarify. I'm not saying I want them walking around in the park. What I want is for them to be selectable and playable in the games. They aren't right now. When I start a game I see my Mii as an option, along with 6 "guest" Miis. There are about four more spots for more Miis that could be selected, but they are all blank. So how do I get my friends' Miis as playable characters? I really hope they don't need full Nintendo Network IDs. That would be crazy. My friends plan to buy a Wii U, so they would need to create "fake" Nintendo Network IDs just to play Nintendo Land on my Wii U, and then make their real accounts when they get their own Wii U. That's really stupid.

TheGrue

The only game I've played in Nintendoland is the Yoshi one where you draw the path through the fruit. I played up to something like Gate 8 and then quit out. Came back in and had to start from the first gate again. Does it not save progress?

I think I need to clarify. I'm not saying I want them walking around in the park. What I want is for them to be selectable and playable in the games. They aren't right now. When I start a game I see my Mii as an option, along with 6 "guest" Miis. There are about four more spots for more Miis that could be selected, but they are all blank. So how do I get my friends' Miis as playable characters? I really hope they don't need full Nintendo Network IDs. That would be crazy. My friends plan to buy a Wii U, so they would need to create "fake" Nintendo Network IDs just to play Nintendo Land on my Wii U, and then make their real accounts when they get their own Wii U. That's really stupid.

No, he was right. You need to go into the Mii Maker and mark them as favorites first. There should be a button on the top right of the Gamepad when you're in the Mii Maker to do it. I had the same problem yesterday.

JoeFu

Banned
I somehow beat DK's Crash Course by falling off the ledge of the first grate in the last section and hitting Pauline.

Not gonna complain, I could not get onto the last section without dying.

I'm surprised at how much I love NintendoLand.

Anyone else try the archery in zelda and try to skip the tutorial and it just kept repeating and repeating the tutorial. I couldn't get it to go past, I was stuck :(

I'm surprised how much I love this game. Had a friend over last night and we played the hell out of Zelda Battle Quest and the Metroid game. Played a round of the Luigi's Mansion as well, and that one is fantastic.

I just got the visitors in my plaza and seeing all the messages is great. I really hope that feature works its way into other games.

I'm just imagining a Zelda game where NPCs walk around the main town and you can see these messages from them.

Error_g

I need more impressions on that one. Is the calibration issue also something you saw in other mini-games?

Although I did experience calibration issues with this game as well, it's a lot like calibration issues with the Wii, it just needs a chance to reset now and then (which is why this mini-game is designed so that it stops after every 4 tracks to reset). I still enjoyed the game though.

The only other one that I recall calibration issues on was on the Zelda one, my gf was using the gamepad and it started to go pretty far off so that she was aiming it like to the left to get it to be straight. Haven't tried that one myself yet though.

Jarlaxle

Having a lot of fun with this even though I've only played single player games so far (no friends around). I do wish you could play the multiplayer games online though. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Does anyone know if you can inver the controls for Samus' ship? My brain just keeps thinking pressing down will go up and vice versa. Haven't seen any options to change this.

JoeFu

Banned
Anybody manage to finish the F-Zero one? I hate those stupid bombs....

Also any idea on how many decorations there are for the plaza?

Memles

While I had a great time with a group of five yesterday (in addition to some enjoyable two-player sessions of Metroid and Zelda), today was a rather fun set of one-player matches. The game is well-positioned for short, casual gameplay sessions: in a couple of hours of play, the "Double Coins" feature pushed me toward certain games at just the right time, and the Miiverse integration finally working as intended has really charmed me. The lack of integration with other social networks remains a glaring omission, but there was something really appealing about being able to see other people struggling with the same issue or nothing more infuriating than seeing someone gloating about finishing (and yes, both of these came during Donkey Kong's Crash Course). It creates a competitive, collaborative environment where you immediately get the sense that you're not the only person playing. It may not be a "leaderboard" in the traditional sense, but the casual feel nonetheless implies the kind of interaction which fuels continued play on games that could tire easily.

Cleared F-Zero's first 12 levels during this play session (unlocking additional courses I've yet to be able to reach again, although only once was this caused by calibration issues), in addition to setting personal bests in a number of different single-player titles. I don't know how long that'll continue, but it's a good starting point, and the immersive of this play session surprised me (especially after the central plaza was so barren yesterday).

Hoodbury

Does anyone know what that tiny clicky thing is in the upper right corner when you are in the plaza? I'm at work now so can't describe it in detail, but if you click it it turns red and if you click again it turns black. I couldn't find it in any manual or anything. I have no idea what clicking it does.

JoeFu

Banned
Does anyone know what that tiny clicky thing is in the upper right corner when you are in the plaza? I'm at work now so can't describe it in detail, but if you click it it turns red and if you click again it turns black. I couldn't find it in any manual or anything. I have no idea what clicking it does.

Its to turn off miiverse comments I think

I would pre-order a new, casual, multiplayer Legend of Zelda done in the style of Nintendo Land, if it weren't on rails and the stages were longer and more puzzle based. So good.

Play Metroid in a swivel chair. It will change you...

I've found it's generally impossible to achieve Master rank otherwise.

emb

I played a few of them.

One common thing I noticed was that I didn't always feel like using gyro. In Zelda, Metroid, and just walking around the plaza, the camera movement with the stick felt limited. I understand in Metroid that I use up and down to move my ship. And I get that it works much better for precise aiming. Just a bit annoying from time to time.

Loving the little jingles and fanfare whenever you walk up to an attraction. The game has a nice charm to it, even if it doesn't always get everything right. Oh, and speaking of the hub, Monita needs to shut up. Why not just let me skip listening to that?

Controls for F-Zero worked way better than I thought they could. I didn't care much for Balloon Fighter though. I was constantly wishing I could control it like the NES game, even if that defeats the point. Having two screens to focus on didn't really do much for me either.

My favorite one that I played was probably Pikmin. Felt like an arcadey teaser to get me ready for the new game. The only thing that bothered me was how much time it took throwing the cpu controlled Mii Pikmin guy. And that he always went into your hands when you whistled.

Despite my complaints, I enjoyed what I played so far. Can't wait to see how multiplayer stuff works.

ASIS

Very surprised at the positive impressions. I knew it wouldn't be bad, but not this welcoming either, ESPECIALLY after this year's E3.

Teknoman

Yeah the E3 presentation made the game look extremely lame.

How do you know if/when the game saves your progress?

EDIT: I cant stop thinking about the F-Zero or Metroid juke box mixes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
F-Zero is a lot better than i though it would be. Keep crashing at that mine in the center at Area 6 though.

Speaking of crashing and F-Zero, I had my Wii U lock up for the first time (still with the lovely high pitched GCN crashing noise) while I was starting up F-Zero. It was just about to tell me to flip my Game Pad (which I had already done) and then it locked up. Couldn't even power down with the power button, had to unplug.

On the actual game, I've enjoyed Yoshi's game more than I thought I would. Everyone said it was the most boring of all the games.. but I actually find quite a bit of amusement in its simplicity. I just wish the visuals were more varied.. something more in Yoshi's Story.. or Yoshi's Island theme rather than just the boring fabric.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Boy I sure love tapping on Miis in the plaza and seeing their whole progress screen there. It's the first time I realized Zelda/Metroid/Pikmin progress differently from the single player games. I hadn't played them yet. And then I tapped on one of the attractions on the touch screen and jumped all the way across the plaza like WHOOOOOAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!

This game is so fun.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What's the issue that you're having? Always falling and exploding there? I found that you actually have to go really fast, so you don't tilt over off the edge. It's the tilting that explodes you. Not TOO fast though.

Anyplace with one of those big yellow explosion markers in the background means "GO FAST!!!!"

Haha, yeah, I got it now. For some reason I felt like I was going slow and fast and nothing was working. I also didn't have everything else memorized so I had a few lifes to play with each time instead of max.

Now I'm having probs with the literal last two jumps to the princess.

Finally out of classes and playing with my Wii U... first game - Metroid Blast

As soon as I saw myself in action in a Varia Suit.... I could cry it makes me so happy. Gonna try playing with my brother in just a bit.

linko9

I'm very impressed. Most of the games are very fun. Did anyone else not get a club nintendo pin with their game? I got the deluxe system, but no pin was in the nintendo land case. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom