• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Exile20

I hope they don't disappoint.

Ha I wish I saw this post last night, waited 2 hours for all the updates. Got to play 2 levels of tropical and I love love love playing it in bed while the wife is watching tv. Oh and game is great on first impression.

So will 8 gb be used pretty easily? I was just planning on getting physical discs so I don't use up all the space...

DLC and DD will suck that 8 gb up.

ozfunghi

Ha I wish I saw this post last night, waited 2 hours for all the updates. Got to play 2 levels of tropical and I love love love playing it in bed while the wife is watching tv. Oh and game is great on first impression.

So will 8 gb be used pretty easily? I was just planning on getting physical discs so I don't use up all the space...

Well, if you don't get anything from the e-shop except for NES/SNES games, you'll be safe for a while. But of the 8 GB, you only get to use about 3, because 5 goes to the system/OS. And even retail games can have patches or DLC.

For instance, my retail copy of Injustice (no DLC) takes up 658MB, Nintendoland (no DLC) takes 338MB, AC3 takes 277MB etc... but Deus Ex and WW only take 30MB. So it depends on the game.

Also, for e-shop games, Nano Assault and Xtype+ take 50MB, but Child of Light takes 2.3GB and Trine2 takes 2GB.

So, you'll have to wait and see. But you won't be able to download many demo's either.

daydream

Banned
Well I got me a Wii U!!! One game: Tropical Freakin Freeze

Thanks for the advice here gaf!

Actually was hoping for zelda bundle but all they had was skylanders, which I have zero interest for but it was 250. So I figured I spent 300 all together, and I just will tell myself I got the tropical freeze bundle and ignore the action figures I got. Lol, gamepad is charging now. Lord I hope I'm not disappointed.

Congrats on your new WiiU! :) Enjoy that TF, man! I wish I could play it again for the first time.

TheMoon

I took it upon myself to blend the two "attentionwhoring" alterations and blend them together and fixed the inaccurate placement of Affordable Space Adventures, switching it out for another confirmed October release instead (Costume Quest 2). :)
fixedrlszls2x.jpg

Ok so 8 gbain't that much I guess. So explain to me the USB harddrive stuff then. Do I just need a normal harddrive? Can I not use a sd card?

Can't use an SD Card. The SD slot basically only works in Wii Mode for BC purposes and for some very very select Wii U software (like Animal Crossing Plaza).

You could use a USB stick but Nintendo advices against that for stability reasons. You can use any external USB drive but some require a Y-cable and thus take up two USB slots. I don't use one myself so that's about as far as my knowledge goes. Someone with first hand experience can fill in the blanks.

ozfunghi

Ok so 8 gbain't that much I guess. So explain to me the USB harddrive stuff then. Do I just need a normal harddrive? Can I not use a sd card?

Anything should work. WiiU is USB2, but USB3 drives work as well. I just recovered an old laptop HDD and put it in an enclosure i had left and it works perfectly with a Y-cable. You'll need a Y-cable for USB powered HDD's, but a normal USB cable will do if it plugs into the wall.

If you don't have an old HDD at hand, just get the cheapest USB2 HDD you can find.

And make sure to get this Seriously.

Roo

All this space talk made me realize I only have 4GB left in my Deluxe Wii U and 2 of them are meant for Mario Kart 8' DLC D:
I wanted to go digital with Captain Toad but I'm not sure now. Plus, what if Smash gets DLC down the road? D:
Decisions, decisions.

tebunker

Banned
All this space talk made me realize I only have 4GB left in my Deluxe Wii U and 2 of them are meant for Mario Kart 8' DLC D:
I wanted to go digital with Captain Toad but I'm not sure now. Plus, what if Smash gets DLC down the road? D:
Decisions, decisions.
Buy a hard drive decision made. ;-)

I actually had an old laptop drive hanging about and bought a 8$ drive enclosure and a Y split USB cable for the win.

tebunker

Banned
Any cheap yet reliable suggestion?

If you have an old sata laptop drive sitting. Around get any sata enclosure on Amazon. I got a Sabrent one, they are just simple enclosures with a USB port. Also get the Y cable from amazon.

If you don't have a drive any self. Powered external drive will work fine. You can get a 1TB drive for relatively cheap.

I also had a Xfire hot swap docking station from some old work I used to do on PC and it works fine on the wiiu.

If you plan on buying eShop games, yes.

Id sell off your skylanders items and put that money towards external storage, if you plan on downloading eShop games/demos.

Enjoy TF. I just recently went back to playing it last weekend. Sometimes people get the "honey moon" affect with a new game, but playing it last weekend confirmed its the best 2d platformer ever made.

It controls like a dream. The level design is brilliantly constructed. You can get off rhythm, but still find multiple off beat path that works. The visuals/artstyle/animations, all world class.

Oh, and play it with some headphones on, just to hear one of the best ost in gaming.

Roo

If you have an old sata laptop drive sitting. Around get any sata enclosure on Amazon. I got a Sabrent one, they are just simple enclosures with a USB port. Also get the Y cable from amazon.

If you don't have a drive any self. Powered external drive will work fine. You can get a 1TB drive for relatively cheap.

I also had a Xfire hot swap docking station from some old work I used to do on PC and it works fine on the wiiu.

Are 500GB drives still a thing? lol
I don't trust Nintendo's online infrastructure to go nuts with digital purchases and to be honest, 1TB seems like I would be paying for something I most likely will never use.
Thanks for the tips tho. My old man had a sata laptop at work he no longer uses so I'll see what I can do about that.

If you plan on buying eShop games, yes.

Id sell off your skylanders items and put that money towards external storage, if you plan on downloading eShop games/demos.

Enjoy TF. I just recently went back to playing it last weekend. Sometimes people get the "honey moon" affect with a new game, but playing it last weekend confirmed its the best 2d platformer ever made.

It controls like a dream. The level design is brilliantly constructed. You can get off rhythm, but still find multiple off beat path that works. The visuals/artstyle/animations, all world class.

Oh, and play it with some headphones on, just to hear one of the best ost in gaming.

Yea I spent the first 20 minutes just diving in and out of the water with donkey kong, telling my wife to look over at the screen... It was a great introduction to the wii u.

Just picked up arkham city today because it's one of my fav games of all time. Hopefully the disc doesn't take up too much space. But eventually I'll have to pick up a harddrive.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just picked up arkham city today because it's one of my fav games of all time. Hopefully the disc doesn't take up too much space. But eventually I'll have to pick up a harddrive.
I might just be misunderstanding your post, but you can't install disc games like other consoles, unfortunately.

Yea I spent the first 20 minutes just diving in and out of the water with donkey kong, telling my wife to look over at the screen... It was a great introduction to the wii u.

The real fun starts with being able to fly through the levels. I love the gameplay mechanics with rolling fast, then being able to do a late jump off a ledge, mixed with dixie/diddys/crankys abilities.

Id definitely recommend 3d World or MK8 for your next game. Maybe you'll get your wife to play.

The only thing that would take up space is a game update, as far as games on disc go.

The real fun starts with being able to fly through the levels. I love the gameplay mechanics with rolling fast, then being able to do a late jump off a ledge, mixed with dixie/diddys/crankys abilities.

Id definitely recommend 3d World or MK8 for your next game. Maybe you'll get your wife to play.

The only thing that would take up space is a game update, as far as games on disc go.

My wish list right now is:

1. Rayman Legends - I'm in 2d platforming obsessed mode and I have only played Origins (and loved it).

2. Super Mario 3D World - Just based on good word of mouth

3. Mario Kart 8 - Not hugely into multiplayer, so still deciding on this one, but he videos look like so much fun

4. Wind Waker - Not my favorite Zelda, but 3d Zelda on gamepad would still be great regardless

5. Wonderful 101 - Demo was ok, and playthroughs don't jump out at me, but I'm willing to bite because everyone recommends it.

Hopefully I can get these 5 by February. But I'm sure my list will start to get longer :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Decisions, decisions.

I purchased a 1TB External Hard Drive a few days ago because of a similar issue, so problem solved.

tebunker

Banned
My wish list right now is:

1. Rayman Legends - I'm in 2d platforming obsessed mode and I have only played Origins (and loved it).

2. Super Mario 3D World - Just based on good word of mouth

3. Mario Kart 8 - Not hugely into multiplayer, so still deciding on this one, but he videos look like so much fun

4. Wind Waker - Not my favorite Zelda, but 3d Zelda on gamepad would still be great regardless

5. Wonderful 101 - Demo was ok, and playthroughs don't jump out at me, but I'm willing to bite because everyone recommends it.

Hopefully I can get these 5 by February. But I'm sure my list will start to get longer :)

Have you played any of the new super Mario brothers games? Definitely get on those for solid if not great 2d

Some Nobody

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/236371-rumor-nintendo-direct-announcement-coming-tomorrow

Some site claims a Direct being announced tomorrow.

Felt like sharing, it'd be neat to see if they're right and if they're to be trusted in the future! Right? :p

I hope it's a Wii U Direct this time, after two 3DS ones, but those were JP-only, so since this is a western site, it'll likely just be a repeat of those, hope not. :/

So this actually turned out to be correct, then. Hm. Interesting.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I have played a couple, but I heard the wii u one wasn't up there with rayman or dk...

The Wii one is the best IMO, but it was the first console 2D Mario in a long, long time, and I haven't gone back to it recently, but NSMBU never lived up to it. New Super Luigi U was way better.

Not a big fan of the Rayman style platforming myself.

so thank you gaf for the game suggestions picked up DKTF and Lego city undercover (game is fantastic havent laughed like that in a while lol)

Now i need 1 more suggestion as i have $30 left to spend here is what im looking at

Batman arkham Origins
Splinter cell blacklist
Zombiu

which of the 3 do u think i should get Wii u gaf?

jmizzal

so thank you gaf for the game suggestions picked up DKTF and Lego city undercover (game is fantastic havent laughed like that in a while lol)

Now i need 1 more suggestion as i have $30 left to spend here is what im looking at

Batman arkham Origins
Splinter cell blacklist
Zombiu

Is this eShop only?

Becouse you can get ZombiU and Splinter Cell for 30 bucks together on Amazon, two of my fav 3rd party games on WiiU

shauntu

Batman arkham Origins
Splinter cell blacklist
Zombiu

Splinter Cell Blacklist is the best of the 3. 3 ways to play (Stealth, Assault, and Panther), plus online co-op as separate campaign, and online Spies vs Mercs.

Haven't played Origins, to be honest, but ZombiU is a more niche audience title (needs lot more effort, much easier to mess up and feel badly punished for it).

nordique

Batman arkham Origins
Splinter cell blacklist
Zombiu

My vote would go to Batman, I didn't enjoy Splinter cell personally and action/shooter/stealth games are usually my thing

But Batman is a "play through the story once and done" kinda game. Replay isn't there as it would be for splinter cell given the online stuff

ZombiU wasn't my cup of tea, but if you like zombies go for that cause its apparently a good survival horror game

The hate on NSMBU is hyperbole, it is the best NSMB game besides NSLU.

The thing is that Pikmin, W101, Zelda WW, DKC TF and SM3DW are way better games.

TheMoon

The hate on NSMBU is hyperbole, it is the best NSMB game besides NSLU.

The thing is that Pikmin, W101, Zelda WW, DKC TF and SM3DW are way better games.

This.

NSMBU hate exists because it came a few months after NSMB2 which people weren't so hot on (also with extreme hyperbole since that is a damn fine game still as well, just not up to series standards). NSMBU is fantastic for solo play and throws a very fresh new layer onto the co-op game with the often belittled boost blocks. The thing is not to play this drunk with friends who don't give a shit (unless you want to laugh at yourself) but to play this with someone who does care about playing well and then you do amazing stuff. Or be super hardcore and play BOTH yourself (people have done it, even for challenge mode).

ozfunghi

Batman arkham Origins
Splinter cell blacklist
Zombiu

I would recommend ZombiU and Splinter Cell, both are worth it. Though i haven't played Batman Origins (but i heard it's not as good as B:AC). But at least try the ZombiU demo in the e-shop. Splinter Cell was best on WiiU according to "lense of truth". But if you haven't played Deus Ex.... i can also highly recommend that. Better single player experience than Splinter Cell.

Hmm Pikmin isn't on my top 5 wish list. Will have to watch some videos on it...

Best game i played since Xenoblade.

Has Curve Studios said anything about bringing the first Stealth Inc. to the Wii U eShop this year, alongside the sequel?

Edit - I went ahead and asked them on Twitter, so hopefully they'll say something.

TheMoon

Has Curve Studios said anything about bringing the first Stealth Inc. to the Wii U eShop this year, alongside the sequel?

Edit - I went ahead and asked them on Twitter, so hopefully they'll say something.

Woooo, initiative! Great! They haven't said anything so far so maybe you'll get a quote out of them.

Roo

No. Zero word on them since the announcement last year.

I still don't understand why it is taking so long to port some N64 roms to the Wii U VC.
Wii had a great VC library up and running at launch. They're sitting on tons of always profitable retro games yet their input has been mediocre at best.

tebunker

Banned
I still don't understand why it is taking so long to port some N64 roms to the Wii U VC.
Wii had a great VC library up and running at launch. They're sitting on tons of always profitable retro games yet their input has been mediocre at best.
They may not be as profitable as we think or as easy to get running.

I mean if it truly was that easy and profitable wouldn't they have already done it?

We need an insider at NOA something bad

TheMoon

They may not be as profitable as we think or as easy to get running.

I mean if it truly was that easy and profitable wouldn't they have already done it?

We need an insider at NOA something bad

Playing devil's advocate here for a second but we may have to consider that they could just be super strapped for resources since they have to serve two platforms with VC releases and already farmed out the GBA emulation to M2 and maybe the company hasn't really grown in the VC department (handled by a group within SPD according to Shikamaru's recent thread) with most new hires likely going straight to either network or gamedev positions. That, coupled with their DS VC experiments and all the other stuff they have going on might have slowed down N64 VC progress. Add to that the fact that they would probably want to bring third parties on board who might be insufficiently motivated due to install base and the usual drama to bother with N64 VC games there are plenty of potential reasons for the silence surrounding it. On the wishful thinking side of things, maybe they're holding it for New 3DS cross-buy magic. *cuefairydustandrainbows*

So I thought I would take the recent eshop sale to knock Mario 3D World off my wish list and make it my second wii u game (besides rebuying arkham). The space is gonna take up half of my 8 gb but I figure I'll get that hard drive sometime... Hopefully this game is as good as everyone says it is, because I will have to wait a couple months before I can get another game.

Top Bottom