• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can see Rodea and potentially, maybe, Taiko Drum Master coming over. Rodea might not sell gangbusters but the port work should largely already be done. Presumably stuff like Just Dance, Disney Infinity and Skylanders will come. Straight Right is supposedly working on something.

I don't think 2015 will be as bad as people are making it seem, but who knows. The fact is most of the stuff already announced for next year was 2014 stuff that got delayed.

don't forget Ni-OH! If you put Rodea... :p

TheMoon

So I want to pre order Watch Dogs "WiiU" and I dunno which bonus is the best.. help?

••• Amazon Exclusive - Signature Shot Pack in-game single-player mission and rewards.
••• Best Buy Exclusive - The Breakthru Pack in-game single-player mission and rewards.
••• Gamestop Exclusive - Palace Pack in-game single-player mission and rewards.

I really hate when they do this. :/

Best lesson you'll ever learn: it's completely irrelevant. Buy wherever it's most comfortable for you or cheapest. These bonuses are the definition of insignificant. You won't even know what they are in the game.

Phamit

So I want to pre order Watch Dogs "WiiU" and I dunno which bonus is the best.. help?

••• Amazon Exclusive - Signature Shot Pack in-game single-player mission and rewards.
••• Best Buy Exclusive - The Breakthru Pack in-game single-player mission and rewards.
••• Gamestop Exclusive - Palace Pack in-game single-player mission and rewards.

I really hate when they do this. :/

Pre-order at the cheapest store, because the pre-order stuff doesnt really add much.

Geez, they shouldnt offer those in the first place, they delay a game on one platform and doesn't even include all pre-order exclusive.

Malvingt2

Best lesson you'll ever learn: it's completely irrelevant. Buy wherever it's most comfortable for you or cheapest. These bonuses are the definition of insignificant. You won't even know what they are in the game.

Pre-order at the cheapest store, because the pre-order stuff doesnt really add much.

Geez, they shouldnt offer those in the first place, they delay a game on one platform and doesn't even include all pre-order exclusive.

Thank you guys

Sendou

Any word when European embargo for Hyrule Warriors is up? I have it pre-ordered but I'm not 100% sure if I want to keep it or not.

jmizzal

I wonder if anything gets announced for WiiU at TGS, I bet Xbox One have way more stuff announced from 3rd parties of course PS4 will, even tho Xbox one will sell like horrible in Japan and WiiU will out sale PS4 in Japan for a long time

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I wonder if anything gets announced for WiiU at TGS, I bet Xbox One have way more stuff announced from 3rd parties of course PS4 will, even tho Xbox one will sell like horrible in Japan and WiiU will out sale PS4 in Japan for a long time

Well we got a new Fatal Frame trailer, and Koei-Tecmo is showing off Hyrule Warriors (new modes perhaps?). Taiko Wii U 2 pretty much was announced in the lead up to TGS, but that's about it...

Yeah it's depressing. :'(

Wii U gets unparallelled neglect from 3rd-parties, and notice how any sort of leak of a PS4/XBO game turns out true, but any for Wii U (like MH4U) turn out false. :(

They teased us back in January that they were working on a third party game. Possibly canceled?

Same job postings are still on their sites. So I would think it's still a go.

Question is, is it indeed Minecraft? That was "leaked" by some site and Notch debunked it, but the hints by supposedly a SR employee to another no-name site said it's by a "top notch publisher" and it's under Tantalus and is not an M-rated game.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yeah it's depressing. :'(

Wii U gets unparallelled neglect from 3rd-parties, and notice how any sort of leak of a PS4/XBO game turns out true, but any for Wii U (like MH4U) turn out false. :(

Even Lego Movie, which did best on the Wii U in the US (at least initially), only had a PS4 & PS3 logo in its TGS trailer. Apparently Nintendo managed to get TT of all companies not to list the Wii U. They didn't even get the freaking 3DS listed... it's kind of insane. This is also after Lego City Undercover actually did fairly decently on Wii U in Japan (74K copies in 2013).

So after the unfortunate FFXIII PS3 incident I decided to be a little more savvy in buying consoles. I decided I wouldn't pull the trigger on one until it had 3 big "must play" exclusives I wanted.

So X, Zelda, and SMTxFE sold me. But I still bought early because of a good deal and knowing there were other "definitely own" but not "must play" exclusives available. So when I did this I said if I could get 5 more unannounced "definitely own" exclusives that would rate the Wii U purchase as a great success.

This was after Hyrule Warriors was announced.

So I got maybes:
Starfox
Splatoon

And of course a Metroid would count double. As would a new Mischief Makers.

And now I continue to play the waiting game.

So how is everyone else doing? Already great success? Got your games announced and waiting for release? Holding out for a Crystal Chronicles? Building a shrine for a F-Zero X Wave Race crossover?

Same job postings are still on their sites. So I would think it's still a go.

Question is, is it indeed Minecraft? That was "leaked" by some site and Notch debunked it, but the hints by supposedly a SR employee to another no-name site said it's by a "top notch publisher" and it's under Tantalus and is not an M-rated game.

Well what's taken them so long to announce it, there has been nothing said since January. I remember people also thinking it could be a Square game since they did Deus Ex but that flopped hard, unless Square realised that a two year old port was always going to flop. I also saw a person say it could be those rumoured reUmagined games, since they don't say its a third party publisher and Nintendo is a top notch publisher, but that isn't exactly AAA. The job listings were also posted in September so that's good news. And they said it would be credited to them as it's more of a rework.

SmokeMaxX

Best Buy has the following WiiU Games on sale for $7.99 for today (9/18) only:
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
ZombiU
Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Looks like Hyrule Warriors is getting some DLC characters?
the villains (like Cia and her cohorts) + Shadow Link

Also Bayo 2 has even more costumes. There's now a Mario costume w/ a Chain Chomp lol. Kamiya's confirmed they will be available when you start the game (no unlocking needed).

TheMoon

So how is everyone else doing? Already great success? Got your games announced and waiting for release? Holding out for a Crystal Chronicles? Building a shrine for a F-Zero X Wave Race crossover?

Zero regrets with my purchase. My only gripe is games I wanna play on this system not coming to this system. I have alternatives to play them but I want them on this one because of the ever present potential for great gamepad features and enhancements but since the mainstream world apparently is so irritated by this machine that they won't buy it I'll have to make do with the awesome exclusives and show my PC some love for the stuff I'm missing out on.

openrob

Wow I completely forgot about that. Ubisoft are such idiots I don't even know...

kunonabi

So after the unfortunate FFXIII PS3 incident I decided to be a little more savvy in buying consoles. I decided I wouldn't pull the trigger on one until it had 3 big "must play" exclusives I wanted.

So X, Zelda, and SMTxFE sold me. But I still bought early because of a good deal and knowing there were other "definitely own" but not "must play" exclusives available. So when I did this I said if I could get 5 more unannounced "definitely own" exclusives that would rate the Wii U purchase as a great success.

This was after Hyrule Warriors was announced.

So I got maybes:
Starfox
Splatoon

And of course a Metroid would count double. As would a new Mischief Makers.

And now I continue to play the waiting game.

I usually wait for 10 must-have exclusives but I was so impressed with my time at the wii u experience and the wii was my second favorite console of all time that I jumped in at launch.

As for the must-have exclusives I already got the following out of my investment:

Nintendoland
Zombi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Game & Wario
Wii Party U/Wii Fit U

and I still have Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros., Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, Devil's Third, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame, and Shin Megami Tensei X Fiire Emblem to potentially add to the list.

I'm very pleased with the purchase and while I don't quite see the console quite matching up to the Wii it's going to easily surpass the NES and GC for me and maybe even the N64 depending on how things go.

Wii U/3DS/PS3 is turning out to be a very solid combination for me right now.

Although to be honest the console probably would have been worth it just for W101 and Bayonetta 2.

mgcemir

Banned
fuck it. after owning ps1, ps2, n64,gamecube, wii, xbox 360, ps3, ps4, i bought Wii U today. and mario kart 8. fuck it. my paragon diablo 3 paragon level is gonna go slow so much now.

TheMoon

fuck it. after owning ps1, ps2, n64,gamecube, wii, xbox 360, ps3, ps4, i bought Wii U today. and mario kart 8. fuck it. my paragon diablo 3 paragon level is gonna go slow so much now.

if you learn to use gyro steering in MK8 with your feet and memorize all courses by heart you could play both at the same time!

mgcemir

Banned
if you learn to use gyro steering in MK8 with your feet and memorize all courses by heart you could play both at the same time!
and if am really pro, ill double dip reaper of souls on both pc and ps4, while playing mk8 at the same time. like a boss.

tebunker

Banned
I picked up Cabela's and BLOPS II(Again)

I mean why not for $17 after tax?

Cabela's is actually not bad?

I couldn't find any reviews, has pointer controls and is challenging and not terribly ugly, kind of like a up-rezzed wii game, but that guy who loves water on the Miiverse would love this game. If it had a Miiverse community. Seriously, eff Activision.

Okay just coming back to add that the wife and I are enjoying Cabela's way too much. It's actually a very well made game. Granted I am more lenient on it because it was $8, but there is a lot to like. Especially if you want to play something that tests your shooter skills and patience. I was playing it on the realistic difficulty and I felt like it mimicked the difficulty of getting a good shot, needing to lay prone or use your blinds, masking your scent, tracking the animal etc. It's got a lot of rough edges, but it is a solid 7 to 7.5 game even at the $30 msrp.

Also there is something to be said when a black bear charges you in the woods and you just start firing blindly

jholmes

I was just playing Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call and I thought, you know what, Crystal Chronicles would be perfect for a Wii U port. Put in online co-op, use the GamePad instead of a GBA and boom, the game finds a new audience. I kinda almost hope that's the port Straight Right is working on.

TheMoon

I was just playing Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call and I thought, you know what, Crystal Chronicles would be perfect for a Wii U port. Put in online co-op, use the GamePad instead of a GBA and boom, the game finds a new audience. I kinda almost hope that's the port Straight Right is working on.

I doubt they'd call that a port and not point out that it's a more than ten year old game. Super unlikely.

Meesh

6 days till fatal frame 5 comes out in japan cant wait to see streams for the game especially late at night with the lights out :)
Same, should be interesting and not in a boob physics way but in a "WiiU was made for this game" way. It really looks or sounds like one of those gems that makes incredible use of the pad and could be a showpiece to introduce how great it is to newcomers. One of those experiences that simply "cant" be played any other way?

jholmes

I called it unlikely because it would seem they wouldn't call something like that merely "a port" and not point out that it's something from multiple generations ago. Not because it is old.

FFX and FFX-2 just got a port.
Wind Waker just got a port.
Halo is getting a port.
The Resident Evil remake and RE4 just got ports.
Everyone goes around talking about how Super Mario Sunshine needs a port.

You might think the idea is stupid but Crystal Chronicles' age is not what is holding it back.

TheMoon

FFX and FFX-2 just got a port.
Wind Waker just got a port.
Halo is getting a port.
The Resident Evil remake and RE4 just got ports.
Everyone goes around talking about how Super Mario Sunshine needs a port.

You might think the idea is stupid but Crystal Chronicles' age is not what is holding it back.

I literally JUST posted again to make clear that what I said has nothing to do with it BEING this old. What I said has always been about what THEY said and did NOT say. Nothing more! Am I expressing myself that poorly? :(

jholmes

I literally JUST posted again to make clear that what I said has nothing to do with it BEING this old. What I said has always been about what THEY said and did NOT say. Nothing more! Am I expressing myself that poorly? :(

Yeah, you are.

Is your point that they'd call it a remaster, or a remake, or whatever, instead of a port? Not to be brash, but who cares what they call it? Is this a video game forum or a marketing forum?

TheMoon

Yeah, you are.

Is your point that they'd call it a remaster, or a remake, or whatever, instead of a port? Not to be brash, but who cares what they call it? Is this a video game forum or a marketing forum?

Yes that was precisely the point. That I would have expected them to indicate in some form that it would be a game of significant age or use a more appropriate term like remake or whatever.

That and the simple fact that it would require way too much reworking and redesigning to make that work on Wii U that making a new game based on the idea would make more sense. And at that point they might as well tie it in with Explorers.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah, you are.

no he's being clear, you're just not understanding. Remasters, remakes and ports are three different words that mean three different thinno to people on video game forums.

jholmes

no he's being clear, you're just not understanding. Remasters, remakes and ports are three different words that mean three different thinno to people on video game forums.

Maybe you're the one who's not understanding -- I said it'd be cool if Square-Enix ported Crystal Chronicles, which he called "super unlikely" because they'd prefer to presumably remaster it (I guess?) which is so entirely neither here nor there to the point.

If anyone wants to actually discuss that point, feel free, but I'm done with the dance about whether a very basic and entirely hypothetical idea is really a port or not.

I doubt they'd call that a port and not point out that it's a more than ten year old game. Super unlikely.

Well actually, they did say:
It is a ‘port’ but more of a complete rework for the Wii U: a bit like the work we did on Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.
They also said the game will be credited to them, so don't completely throw it out of the window.

TheMoon

Well actually, they did say:

They also said the game will be credited to them, so don't completely throw it out of the window.

Well that changes things. So frustrating that everyone is playing these waiting games with announcing their Wii U stuff. It's like they're always waiting until after some big game comes out because they're sooo afraid of doing anything.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the N3DS Xenoblade 2015 confirmation for the West (from the Australian Direct) make me really scared abut the actual date for Xenoblade Chronicles X release... I wonder if they'll promote it as their big Fall 2015 title (aside Zelda?)

dreamfall

Well y'all, after waiting forever I finally got a Wii U 32GB Deluxe. My brother bought it as an early birthday gift for me, knowing that I was dying to play Bayonetta 2.

So, question. I really love the Offscreen play, and I'm noticing some really cheap titles on Amazon. I played the hell out of Arkham City, Deus Ex: HR, and AC3+4 (all on PC). But I'm kind of tempted to just build my library, and have something to jump into every now and then- were these good porting jobs?

I own 3D World, MK8, NG3:RE, ZombiiU. I'm hoping to pick up Wonderful 101 within the week or so, are there are other things people are really loving ? The system came with NSMB so I have that also.

I'm just so happy to finally have the system and be part of the Nintendo community again. I loved my Wii, and I kept telling myself I had to get around to buying it before October 24th. Money was tight, and it was a gift that left me so grateful and a bit emotional. But yasss!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well y'all, after waiting forever I finally got a Wii U 32GB Deluxe. My brother bought it as an early birthday gift for me, knowing that I was dying to play Bayonetta 2.

So, question. I really love the Offscreen play, and I'm noticing some really cheap titles on Amazon. I played the hell out of Arkham City, Deus Ex: HR, and AC3+4 (all on PC). But I'm kind of tempted to just build my library, and have something to jump into every now and then- were these good porting jobs?

I own 3D World, MK8, NG3:RE, ZombiiU. I'm hoping to pick up Wonderful 101 within the week or so, are there are other things people are really loving ? The system came with NSMB so I have that also.

I'm just so happy to finally have the system and be part of the Nintendo community again. I loved my Wii, and I kept telling myself I had to get around to buying it before October 24th. Money was tight, and it was a gift that left me so grateful and a bit emotional. But yasss!

a couple of things:

Don't miss Pikmin3. Don't miss Tropical Freeze. I'd go for them, way before looking at those other third party ports.

If interested in the gamepad attributes, let's say that Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell and also Batman City has some good use of the device. Batman origin a little less, but still something. AC 3 and 4 are good ports but not in terms of Wii U "customization".

You already have Zombi, Mario3D, MK: so you're set. You are also planning to buy W101. Good. Lego city is a good single player game too, with some use of the gamepad.

Take a look also to the eshop: Nano assault Neo, Runner2, Steamworld Dig and (if you are in the US) Shovel Knight should be really good.

TheMoon

Arkham City is a great version of the game unless you're super sensitive about the occasional framerate stutter. I played the whole game on PS3 when it launched and then beat the Wii U version earlier this year again. It's looks great, runs okay and is a really nice showpiece for how the GamePad could've been utilized in multiplatform titles ...if they had kept coming. Same can be said for Deus Ex HR. The Wii U version of Deus Ex is the best version of the game, period. GamePad integration is A-grade material. A definite showpiece. AC III and IV are good versions, too. I completed AC III on Wii U over the Winter and loved having the map on the GamePad all the time and Off-TV for multiplayer in bed is nice. Same thing with AC IV. Both games have unlocked framerate so YMMV, sometimes it's buttery smooth, sometimes there's some drops. Nothing dramatic. Very very playable. I have no trouble recommending these versions. I'd also recommend Splinter Cell: Blacklist, if you're into those kinds of games. Can be had for super cheap these days and also makes great GamePad use, supports Off-TV and, aside from long loading times, is a very well done port.

I've you have game nights with friends who aren't too cool to try weird/new things, you should really hunt down a cheap copy of Nintendo Land as well. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 are also both absolutely must haves. Best games in their respective series and top-class representatives in their genre.

On the eShop, you have to check out Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails, Toki Tori 2+, Shovel Knight (unless you played that on PC?), SteamWorld Dig, etc.

Scram Kitty is a tough game to explain because so much of its awesomeness comes from how it "feels" ...here's a video of a stage played by the dev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTNHoTZJ5Q & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvTa9lD8BfY - it might look easy but it's very challenging and plays just so so well. Here's a trailer that shows off a lot of the amazing stuff in the game (runs at a smooth 60fps, btw, which the YT trailer obv. can't show off) Toki Tori 2+ is an exploration-based platformer that treats the player with respect and let's them be smart by figuring everything out without relying on a single word of text. The environment and wild life tells you everything you need to know. Both of those games are not easy to explain since much of the appeal relies on the "a-ha" moment you have while playing them.

If interested in the gamepad attributes, let's say that Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell and also Batman City has some good use of the device. Batman origin a little less, but still something. AC 3 and 4 are good ports but not in terms of Wii U "customization". .

I found the GamePad features in Arkham Origins really disappointing after the stellar job done on Arkham City. For me this is a Pro Controller game with the map on a table somewhere. A real letdown in that regard.

the N3DS Xenoblade 2015 confirmation for the West (from the Australian Direct) make me really scared abut the actual date for Xenoblade Chronicles X release... I wonder if they'll promote it as their big Fall 2015 title (aside Zelda?)

I don't think so, no. It'll be a Summer title regardless. This is not a "play this game first, then play the other." Even just them being on separate platforms cements that. Xenoblade X will come whenever Xenoblade X is ready. Xenoblade 3D might be more likely to have its release timed in accordance with X and not the other way around.

Top Bottom