• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Controller announced - X360pad design, no screen, "for multiplatform games"

DungeonO

Earlier in the thread someone posted that Microsoft has copyrighted the position of the buttons and sticks in their controller.

I wonder how Power A and Afterglow got away with the 360 setup in their PS3 controllers?

I believe this is just to keep in line with the GamePad, and it was setup that way on the Gamepad because of aesthetics and comfort. It does make much more sense on the GamePad than the Pro Pad.

trinest

To be honest I'm glad we are moving away from the WiiMote era. It ran its course and with the current technology available it can't really be advanced much more. With its obvious faults the technology has even with the refined Motion Plus, its great to see Nintendo go Tablet and Pro Control for this generation.

Amir0x

Banned
How am I going to send you cocks with that?

I don't know, but if the Wii U community is anything like the Wii community, I'm sure disconnecting as much as possible from that is a good thing. Nintendo fans are genuinely frightening people, like... creeps.

I wouldn't be worried about cocks anyway; more like Princess Peach hentai.

Psh, real men use the BIG controller!

I have nothing to prove, I'm quite satisfied with the size of my controller! And there's no innuendo at all in this post!

Also: Thank god, the less emphasis on wiimote, the better. I'll miss pointer, but if the trade-off is not having to worry about game after game being molested by motion gimmicks, I'll accept the trade off.

Going between this and the 360 controller is going to be so confusing.

You will get used ot it after a few hours max. I use half a dozen types of controllers on a normal week to week basis with the mouse and keyboard, PS3 Dualshock, XBox 360 controller, Wii Remote, Classic Controller, Arcade sticks, Kinect, Steering wheels. A controller more focused on the main controlling functions for analogue FPS controls is actually a good thing if you ask me. Though I will stick to motion controls so I can win easily (sans auto aim for analogue games of course you cheaters.)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I still think the GameCube controller is the best thing ever. Still, good move Nintendo. Playing SSB now is gonna be less of a pain in the ass.

MYE

Dual stick "precision" aiming is the worst shit ever. Tried CODBLOPs on PS3 the a few months ago and good lord it was horrible lol

If they abandon wii remote IR pointing for games that require proper aim, it will be the biggest loss in this transition of systems :(

Dan Yo

Banned
Patented, there's a huge difference there. Though I guess you COULD trademark the image, but that'd probably be easier to work around.

Wii Remote was fine so long as a game didn't need anything important from buttons 1 and 2, or at least something you'd need to press frequently. And the original CC was kind of bad for the analog sticks, but was great for other systems.
Patents are so dumb. They are understandable for certain things but for something like button placement or the shape of a d-pad? Ridiculous. "Let's patent this to make our competitor's controller hurt people's hands more than our controller."

I'm still mad that the reason loading screens are so excruciating is because Namco patented giving players mini games to play during load screens. So virtually every other game out there just wastes your time in load screens and makes you stare at a blank screen.

lucius

I see nothing but positive from this controller, getting used to slight differences should be easy.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Complete pipe dream.

1. Completely different control setup that wouldn't work with Skyward Sword natively/easily, especially given it was one of the few attempts to seriously do something with the Motion Plus that couldn't be done (or at least couldn't be done as "fun") on a traditional controller.

2. I couldn't even get Classic Controller support for GC games, and I was waiting on that for Mega Man X Collection (never did get any version of it)! If they couldn't do that why should we expect it here?

Potential to be better for FPSes and classic style/retro games. The biggest problem will be with action games like Devil May Cry, that's where the likes of the 360 controller could potentially be best, and even then I think I preferred the Dual Shock.

Nintendo, gotta love them. I'm sure someone will decrypt the controller and create a usb adapter dongle so we could play the old games with this thing. Here's hoping.

zroid

Banned
I'm still far from ready to pass judgment on their decision to place both sticks above. Will need to try it for myself first.

Everything else about the controller obviously looks brilliant.

Eusis

Missed the commotion earlier. Does this thing have clickysticks and analogue triggers?
Yes to both.

EDIT: Well, I thought analog triggers were confirmed. They look analog on the Pro Controller, and that's pretty much a screenless Wii U Game Pad.

Dual stick "precision" aiming is the worst shit ever. Tried CODBLOPs on PS3 the a few months ago and good lord it was horrible lol

If they abandon wii remote IR pointing for games that require proper aim, it will be the biggest loss in this transition of systems :(

Couldn't agree more. So much more to be done with IR pointing in other genres also.

But now Nintendo is giving us TWO dual analog pads for the new system. Hooray... zzzz...

MercuryLS

Banned
6arI1.png

I really hope Sony redesigns the shape of the PS4 controller. Don't have to make it huge, just make it contour to the hand.

b3b0p

Do not like the D-Pad and Button Placement, but I'm guessing they don't expect us to use them.

The Sticks are probably the A/B buttons and I will guess almost every game will be motion + sticks + 2 button control or something.

Mlatador

Banned
Anyone who cannot opperate motion controls or pointer controls, shouldn't be called "hardcore gamer".

I mean, we have terms "casual gamer" and "hardcore gamer".

I think something is missing. The average dual analog dude-bros.

That's why I would suggest calling those people "average gamer", because, honestly, they don't deserve to be caleld "hardcore".

Yes, that's right.

Now we have

"Casual" gamer
"Average" gamer (representative of all the millions pad/dual analog only users - who just don't want/cannot adapt to superior new imput-mechanisms and/or gameplay opportunities)
and
"Hardcore" gamer (fearless,
handsome,
gaming veterans/worriors, who are open for new challenges as well as anything new and exciting.).

Makes sense?

GopherD

This has me a bit concerned.

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't mandate the compulsory use of the Pad? By allowing 3rd parties an "out" by sanctioning this controller, it means that very few 3rd parties will use the pad in future multiplats. Effectively meaning that down the track only 1st party games will use it exclusively. Why include it then if that's the case?

I wonder if 3rd parties were struggling with it and this is the "difficult" part of WiiU development we are hearing rumors of?

Van Owen

Banned
Buttons seem like they will be hard to reach since they're not on the edge of the controller. My guess is the pad is smaller than the 360 one though so maybe it isn't so bad.

zroid

Banned
hang on a sec, why do people not like the Control Pad? It looks identical to the Classic Controller Pro's -- isn't that widely loved?

This has me a bit concerned.

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't mandate the compulsory use of the Pad? By allowing 3rd parties an "out" by sanctioning this controller, it means that very few 3rd parties will use the pad in future multiplats. Effectively meaning that down the track only 1st party games will use it exclusively. Why include it then if that's the case?

I wonder if 3rd parties were struggling with it and this is the "difficult" part of WiiU development we are hearing rumors of?

suits me fine, really. I will probably still mostly use the U-pad for Miiverse, but I don't need third parties to be throwing in gimmicks if they don't feel it necessary or worthwhile.

Bullza2o

Hopefully with much better build quality as well. The 360 controller is one of the best in theory, awful in terms of the crap quality and short lifespan.

I'm still using both my 360 controllers, which I bought in 2008. I do have a chatpad attached on one, and I like the weight it gives to the controller. I hope the Wii U Pro has a similar weight.

To be honest I'm glad we are moving away from the WiiMote era. It ran its course and with the current technology available it can't really be advanced much more. With its obvious faults the technology has even with the refined Motion Plus, its great to see Nintendo go Tablet and Pro Control for this generation.

It's not moving away from it. Far from it. It is allowing all control methods so that anyone's bias can be accomodated for. Just becuase you have no motor skills it doesn't mean you cannot play wii u. Now you have the WiiU Controller pro so you can auto aim to your hearts content (Auto Aim may or may not be included)

There are some of these hardcore FPS console people that do not even realise their game has auto aim due to the limitations of dual analogue compared to the precision of mice and keyboard (no I am not going to go into detail about angle snapping or prediction on mice) and motion controls. Think of the xbox 360 contoller with auto aim as a fisher price toy in the world of FPS as it guides your shots for you. Basically the Win Button scenario.

umm or you can just buy the console. You don't NEED everything else. You don't seem to understand, the 3rd party controller thing isn't mandatory.

sure but the fact they're producing it; means that there's admission here that the wiiU pad isn't perfect and that you'll probably need this. Probably because 3rd parties kept at the whole "too proprietary/complex" line.

Eusis

I pointed this out before (and the guy realized his mistake shortly after his post), but it's just the Wii U Game Pad without a screen, there should be absolute no need to support this separate from the pad itself, especially since the Wii U Game Pad has the option of streaming the game and playing it as if it were a handheld.

I do, however, suspect it's the social features that are difficult for developers, not the controllers.

KevinCow

Banned
So it's basically a 360 pad. But with a Nintendo d-pad instead of the garbage 360 d-pad, Nintendo buttons instead of the 360 buttons (which I've always found a bit stiff and the convex shape a bit uncomfortable), and better buttons instead of the crappy little bumpers.

So a 360 controller that fixes all the parts I don't like about the 360 controller.

...This could very well be approaching the perfect gamepad.

Right stick could be weird at first, but I switch between PS3 and 360 just fine, so I don't see it being a bit deal.

I wonder if it has motion controls like the Wiipad?

Amir0x

Banned
Mlatador said:
I think something is missing. The average dual analog dude-bros.

That's why I would suggest calling those people "average gamer", because, honestly, they don't deserve to be caleld "hardcore".

Yes, that's right.

Now we have

"Casual" gamer
"Average" gamer (representative of all the millions pad/dual analog only users - who just don't want/cannot adapt to superior new imput-mechanisms and/or gameplay opportunities)
and
"Hardcore" gamer (fearless, handsome, gaming veterans/worriors, who are open for new challenges as well as anything new and exciting.).

Makes sense?

[many] hardcore gamers don't accept motion controls because it's factually inherently inferior for 99.9% of all genres; has nothing to do with the ability to actually control that garbage. Plus many hardcore gamers never had any desire to dress up in link tights and prance around pretending they were holding a magical sword. Most were quite content to just swing the sword in the most direct, efficient, always reliable manner every time without concern that the game might interpret a motion incorrectly. With buttons = most efficient, always reliable, most effective method of directed control, period.

But hey, gimmicks appeal to certain subset of people - I suggest we start a new category called the "Gimmick Whores" and simply isolate all the individuals who gleefully wait for the next announcement where some game development company announces a new circus sideshow trick for application in less than 1% of all games as the new "paradigm".

Ramblin

Banned
Hopefully with much better build quality as well. The 360 controller is one of the best in theory, awful in terms of the crap quality and short lifespan.

What do you do to your controllers??? I've never had a problem with the build quality of the controller (360 itself is another story)

gogogow

sure but the fact they're producing it; means that there's admission here that the wiiU pad isn't perfect and that you'll probably need this. Probably because 3rd parties kept at the whole "too proprietary/complex" line.

Only you can't make a game exclusively for the Pad Pro. The Pad Pro and Wii U Gamepad are one and the same thing, with the optional pad having less features. If it's compatible with the Pad Pro, it will be compatible with the Wii U Gamepad.

That's CC userbase, on 360 and PS3 it's a different story

Wrong. The decision to add auto aim to CC wasn't made once the game shipped to Wii owners. It was made by Treyarch CoD's top developer when they tested the game.

But you're so pro that I'm sure you're better than Treyarch when they were testing Modern Warfare 3 and realized they had to give you your training wheel assist, which exists on PS3 and 360 also.

Prine

Banned
Ive got to say, first time in history Nintendo chooses to copy (not follow) and its Microsoft. Testament to their engineering.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You'll need this for multiplayer. They'd always need a controller like this for multiplayer (or at least beyond 2p if they add 2xuPad support). The normal uPad has all the same inputs and will work even when the games don't have any meaningful second screen/touch functions just as well so no, you don't have to buy this depending on the game as far as single player goes.

I really dunno what the complaints stem from. This doesn't give 3rd parties an exit from having to make screen features. That one's still the controller that comes in the box, the controller a dev can count on all the players owning, and they always had an exit in the form of just putting a mini map on it and calling it a day, if even that.

I'm only miffed you can't make do with the Wii's Classic Controller Pro (which also wasn't a backpedal on the Wiimote, duh) but it's a necessary evil since they wanted to add clickable sticks and what not to have all the multiplatform features one could need.

I really dunno how anyone can call this a backpedal, lol.

Tobor

It's not moving away from it. Far from it. It is allowing all control methods so that anyone's bias can be accomodated for. Just becuase you have no motor skills it doesn't mean you cannot play wii u. Now you have the WiiU Controller pro so you can auto aim to your hearts content (Auto Aim may or may not be included)

There are some of these hardcore FPS console people that do not even realise their game has auto aim due to the limitations of dual analogue compared to the precision of mice and keyboard (no I am not going to go into detail about angle snapping or prediction on mice) and motion controls. Think of the xbox 360 contoller with auto aim as a fisher price toy in the world of FPS as it guides your shots for you. Basically the Win Button scenario.

They are definitely backpedaling. Unless they pack a Wiimote in, it will be relegated to first party and legacy support. That's great that the Wiimote is supported, but it's as relevant going forward as the GC controller was on the Wii.

rabhw

Isn't this going to make more work for developers? They have so many different control configurations to (optionally) support now. The tablet, wii remotes, pro controller. If this won't even be bundled, which developer is actually going to include support for it, considering it's install base is automatically going to be some fraction of the total sales of the console itself?

Pack the thing in, or don't make it at all, having all these controllers that are theoretically compatible is probably going to turn developers off of the system instead of turning them onto it.

volpone

Banned
Cheers guys. Not sure about the placement of the analog stick and the buttons on the right but none the less, this is good news. I just hope Nintendo doesn't end up confusing the hell out of consumers. All of this seems a bit excessive. (Upad/Pro Pad/Wiimote/Balance board/etc.)

Do we know if they're going to standardise Wii Motion Plus as well?

Agent X

Might as well have kept the same button layout as the 360 controller so people don't get confused during QTEs.

They've used that button layout since the SNES.

Why? I prefer asymmetrical because it emphasizes the fact that each stick serves a specialized function - ie one stick is for movement and one is for camera control.

Not every game uses the sticks for those exact functions.

[many] hardcore gamers don't accept motion controls because it's factually inherently inferior for 99.9% of all genres

It's at least nice of you to call things that aren't even remotely facts as "factual." It makes the rest of this garbage easier to skip over.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Honestly, I feel like this pad will feel better for shooters but not as good for more traditional adventure games and platformers.

I was actually thinking the other day what it would be like if somebody flipped the right-analog stick and the face buttons.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wrong. The decision to add auto aim to CC wasn't made once the game shipped to Wii owners. It was made by Treyarch CoD's top developer when they tested the game.

But you're so pro that I'm sure you're better than Treyarch when they were testing Modern Warfare 3 and realized they had to give you your training wheel assist, which exists on PS3 and 360 also.
I'm so pro I'd even beat KBM players with a sixaxis controller

We're going to have to settle this once and for all when the WiiU comes then, I'll be waiting for you

NeoRausch

Will this be the return of rumble in nintendo pads? Please?

also, motion controls will be in, i guess? Cause if games on the upad going to use it, the pas has to have it, right?

so this is only for select games? :(I

the one reason that puts me off playing awesome firstparty games was that stupid controller, im hoping i can play with this for all the games...

Top Bottom