• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Controller announced - X360pad design, no screen, "for multiplatform games"

Caelus

AGITΩ;38471302 said:
My first thought actually:
AzVKu.jpg

Good idea, it's a hybrid FPS/retro controller.

I think it looks rad. I hate the 360 controller because of the offset sticks. It makes no sense. Glad nintendo was smart and kept the sticks symetrical. I think using those sticks and the shoulder buttons/triggers will be great. Might be the best FPS controller around.

I also think that the dpad-button symmetry was important to them.

May be awkward for games where you use the right stick only sometimes... like an action game.

DungeonO

Zero similarity beside color scheme and face button letters.

The original Duke Xbox Controller was rather similar to the Dreamcast controller. The S pad replaced that, and the 360 controller replaced the S pad.

People are getting confused as to what's based on what.

I like the 360 controller the best of any controller I have used before, and that one for WiiU is a good looking controller. Glad to see them move in that direction. Looks like we have a new standard design for controllers when it comes to gaming.

Kokonoe

Banned
Zero similarity beside color scheme and face button letters.

That's how the placement started. Dreamcast Windows CE -> Xbox 1 controller -> Xbox 1 controller improved on -> 360 controller.

All that's really different is that there is another analog stick there.

Hope it's there to sample at the show.

Because it sounds like it'll be the perfect PC controller once someone creates an adapter + drivers.

I think everyone is just giving Nintendo a pass here. Don't know why, but there you go.

UNmD3.gif

I think it's generally a case of fixing what ain't broke. Well, mostly, in that this one should actually have a decent d-pad (yes!), and the lower positioned buttons to evade lawsuits.

Plus, it's a practical move, since it's part of a ploy for 3rd party multiplatform games.

linkboy

The original Duke Xbox Controller was rather similar to the Dreamcast controller. The S pad replaced that, and the 360 controller replaced the S pad.

People are getting confused as to what's based on what.

It makes sense that the Duke was based on the DC controller. MS had a part in the Dreamcast since it ran Windows CE as an OS.

Why always the shittiest D-pad possible? Just copy the damn PS Vita D-pad ffs. This also refers to the Wii U tablet.

It's the best controller design, period. Nintendo recognising it does not require forgiveness.

If as a company you copy a design then at least make it just as good not worse.

it just goes to prove they're not above doing the same thing when push comes to shove. time to shout it from the rooftops, IMO, so people can shut the fuck up about "copying" other console developers.

I see you have an agenda against nintendo. tell us how you really feel. What will make you feel better? Choice should be encouraged.

All the controllers are the same to me for all devices I own, a way for me to control the game and I should have choices in what method I can use in whatever game I want. Some people here must have trouble talking and walking at the same time here with the way they are carrying on.

Also how is it copying when Nintendo also had a more similar analogue stick layout to the xbox 360 when the gamecube was out. Nintendo has now used all possible layouts. It is not a who copied who but having all layouts available for use. Third parties will release different layouts if people want those. Honestly you are just hating for no reason at all other than hate for a company and it is a shame really.

Analog placement looks good. Since the dual stick control scheme became... well pretty much standard I've been wondering why someone hadn't tried twin sticks in the dominant position.

Honestly it looks like some 3rd party dev said "Can you just make a 360 controller for us?" and Ninty went "Sure."

I like it, but I'm not much of a shooter player.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I love that they followed the Xbox 360, arguably the most comfortable pad this generation, but the button layout shouldn't be there.. The buttons are, in most cases, used more frequently and should be more accessible. At first instance, it seems like a bad idea. I'll look forward to use it and see for myself.

gaming_noob

I can definitely see a problem when playing FPS when your thumb and index are so close together. Fire trigger and look-around analog so close = accidental shots fired.

XCFfe.jpg

X82CM.jpg

I don't understand why everyone is whining about the stick placement. It's the same in relation to the 360 and it's D-pad nearly. I've never had trouble hitting the d-pad on the 360. (Aside from the fact that it's so mushy)

Haunted

AGITΩ;38471302 said:
I like it. Looks like Nintendo just wants to keep the D-Pad next to the face buttons for classic control scheme.
My first thought actually:
AzVKu.jpg
ooh, I didn't think of that.

Somnid

Nintendo: Look at these awesome motion controls!

Hardcore: Get that waggle shit outta here! I want something with 2 analog sticks!

Third-parties: Motion controls are hard! I want something with lots of buttons!

Nintendo: Look at our Wii U Pad! It does everything: dual analog, touch screens, buttons, you name it!

Hardcore: It looks too big!

Third-parties: Touch screens are hard! Can't you make it simpler?

Nintendo: Fine. What the fuck do you want from us?

Third-parties, Hardcore:

802113b.jpg

Nintendo: Done.

Hardcore: Shameless!

Yoda

I wonder if this will be boxed with a WiiU w/o the tablet to lower the initial box cost. Granted the tablet is the main innovation of the WiiU, they could appeal to core gamers between the launch of Wii and the launch of the HD twin upgrades... This is all dependent on them getting strong third party support.

TheNatural

My Member!
Oh jeez, some people need to shut the fuck up up with the who ripped off who stuff. 360 controller basically reversed the dual shock controller which the first version ripped off the N64 controller joystick.

There's nothing new now, there's just one standard control scheme for a controller, with different positions of the buttons and joystick alternatives that don't mean much.

Hero

I can definitely see a problem when playing FPS when your thumb and index are so close together. Fire trigger and look-around analog so close = accidental shots fired.

XCFfe.jpg

X82CM.jpg

Who the fuck holds a controller in those types of positions? Like honestly, the angle and placement of the hands and fingers are just so fucking awkward and not correct at all.

jediyoshi

Oh jeez, some people need to shut the fuck up up with the who ripped off who stuff. 360 controller basically reversed the dual shock controller which the first version ripped off the N64 controller joystick.

If you think it's the layout scheme, you may be missing the point.

Caelus

I don't think on the first example one's hands would be gripped around the top of the controller to the point of the bottom grips touching his arm...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

XCFfe.jpg

X82CM.jpg

lol wut
Unless you're Dr. Zoidberg's baby I doubt that's how it's going to play out

So, an Xbox 360 controller with a kick-ass D-Pad and softer, flatter face buttons? Which also doubles as a classic controller? Hallelujah!

XCFfe.jpg

X82CM.jpg

lol? is this what your hands look like grabbing a 360 controller?

let me guess: 3DS d-pad is perfect for you.

You press buttons less than you use the analogue in most games these days
Whilst this is a great scheme for fighting games (d pad easy access).

Face buttons have been replaced by the triggers/shoulders/analogue click.

The 360 shows its possible to use that area of a control quite easily along with the left analogue. Which will be the main use for most non-dual games.

Don't really see a problem but we'll know more from E3 booths.

Oh how I wish this was the standard controller for the Wii U. Please Nintendo, go back to not having stupid gimmicks!

It rubs me the wrong way seeing as this is gonna be the Wii U’s equivalent of the classic controller from the Wii. Meh.

DungeonO

Oh how I wish this was the standard controller for the Wii U. Please Nintendo, go back to not having stupid gimmicks!

It rubs me the wrong way seeing as this is gonna be the Wii U’s equivalent of the classic controller from the Wii. Meh.

The GamePad has every feature of this controller. What's the problem?

Glass Joe

Don't get the logic of those assuming this will be a pack in. Since when do consoles come with a free second controller? The thing does everything the U GamePad does, sans screen. You'll have to suck it up and pay the $40. Unless you have an existing classic controller for Wii, that will probably work too via wii remote.

linkboy

Who the fuck holds a controller in those types of positions? Like honestly, the angle and placement of the hands and fingers are just so fucking awkward and not correct at all.

There's a simple way to test this, grab a 360 controller and pretend its this controller and see how it fits with your hands.

Its not going to be 100% perfect, but its damn close.

elektrixx

Banned
I like how people really think they're the first to point out that the controller is too big for their hands. Like they really think this whole time Nintendo just built the thing and never had anyone hold it!

It's like back before the Wii release when people said "Hold your arm up straight for fifteen minutes. Wii is unplayable!" Morons.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
-better dpad
-fuckall else that matters has changed

Reality check time.

Concave analogs are better (360)

Joystick placement is still better (360)

Face button placement still better (might have better face buttons than 360 though) (360)

A better D-pad and the ripped off 360 shell (how original) is all that's new. Not to mention the trigger (L + R) travel distance seems horribly limited, look at the pics... Is that how far they will really depress to? To the top of the controller itself? Are you kidding?

Just throw another analog stick under the dreamcasts buttons..I spy.

It's not similar.

DC controller hugged hands in, on the 360 controller you hug the controller out for one. I don't even understand how some of you think they are similar lol..

lololol

Top Bottom