• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

A Wii U disk holds 25GB single layer capacity.

Iwata said, unless I'm mistaken, that we will be able to download full retail Wii U games.

To make this happen, I would think Nintendo would have to give a lot of storage to make this possible.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Iwata said, unless I'm mistaken, that we will be able to download full retail Wii U games.

To make this happen, I would think Nintendo would have to give a lot of storage to make this possible.

As of e3 '11 press release it was stated that the wii U didn't have any sort of HDD but a limited SSD like the wii, however unlike the wii, memory was upgradable through external HDD.

I've just noticed the Wii U logo on the banner from High Voltage Software's site:

platforms_dark4.jpg

I wish more people had purchased Conduit 2. The wide variety of weapons and environments promotes constant experimentation, keeping the game feeling fresh even after you've put 50+ hours into it (as I have). Conduit 3 for Wii U launch would be most welcome! Just keep John St. John away from the mic and HVS will have at least one guaranteed sale.

Yup, it's a real shame that Sega decided to stealth-release it. And after they earnt a nice tidy profit from the first game too. Almost as annoying as EA stealth-releasing Dead Space Extraction too.

I'd love to see a third game but The Grinder is also something I'd like to see. High Voltage have a lifetime license for the Infernal Engine so if it does happen we'll see them ditching the Quantum3 Engine in favour of it now that Nintendo are using a GPU with traditional programable shaders.

Can we start the "we need USB 3.0 or eSATA" demands again now that external HDD capabilities have been mentioned? We haven't done that for awhile.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Damn my not-working PC, I didn't see the new tablet patent that changed the circle pads for analog sticks. I should be more excited than this!

And the insane size limit for the eShop tells great things for the NiN.

if they don't, great shame befalls the company instantly.

Since Nintendo finds ways to shoot themselves in the foot, I expect that to be at least one bullet.

Damn my not-working PC, I didn't see the new tablet patent that changed the circle pads for analog sticks. I should be more excited than this!

It was the other way around. It originally had analog sticks and they replaced them with circle pads.

Roo

I totally forgot about this. :O
with this... 50-100GB storage is far fetched? =>

BY2K

Membero Americo
We won't get anything. Nintendo doesn't have any significant keynote.

It's probably going to be same as CES.

Who or which team is developing the WiiU OS? What kernel will it be based on? What kind of application structure will it be able to support, Flash, HTML5 Java? is The webrowser going to be by opera or is mozilla going to be involved seeing as they seem to be releasing their own OS called "gecko" which reminded me of nintendo and the OS for the new console.

It is important for the web browser to be seamlessly integrated so that you can use it ingame without any hassles.

We should maybe get some people in here to speculate on some software that could be married to the hardware i.e touchscreen NFC and other things which nintendo could use to differentiate themselves from the competition and add value to the system.

It is clear that the media will compare WiiU to Apples forthcoming devices whether nintendo likes it or not. What will nintendo do differently this generation as they seem to be really serious about online and listening to developers and changes to the current landscape of gaming brought about by the rise of smartphones and tablets.

Maybe... but even then I doubt it.
They'll have too much focus on the Wii U re-unvieling.

Since last E3.

Can't leave the 3DS out in the dust though. That would be foolish. What they should do is a pre-E3 conference dedicated to the 3DS or something. I agree that a large amount of time needs to be spent on the WiiU though. Like 95%...

Can't leave the 3DS out in the dust though. That would be foolish. What they should do is a pre-E3 conference dedicated to the 3DS or something. I agree that a large amount of time needs to be spent on the WiiU though. Like 95%...

It's not being left out in the dust, it has a very solid lineup heading into the summer. As for the rest of the year Nintendo will show off a couple games during their e3 conference, like the new 2D Mario just to prove the system isn't forgotten and move on. The 3DS has sold enough now to guarantee its place in the market, and can handle itself without Nintendo's immediate 100% attention for a few months.

You shouldn't expect a 3DS redesign until 2013.

Ya summer of 2013 is what I meant by next summer. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's not being left out in the dust, it has a very solid lineup heading into the summer. As for the rest of the year Nintendo will show off a couple games during their e3 conference, like the new 2D Mario just to prove the system isn't forgotten and move on. The 3DS has sold enough now to guarantee its place in the market, and can handle itself without Nintendo's immediate 100% attention for a few months.

Ya summer of 2013 is what I meant by next summer. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm actually setting my sights for spring.

i think a 3ds redesign should be a fall conference sort of thing. e3 should be all about the wii u, with the 3ds continuing to receive support.

It might be a good idea for Nintendo to coincide their redesign with a Japanese Holiday and golden week next year is the perfect time as it should already give the WiiU ample time to have all its launch and 1st Gen games taken care of. 3DS will be the focus for the next three months with WiiU focus shifting toward this next three months is a given. From June onward the focus on the 3DS will have shifted as the momentum should take them past the christmas period as there is now a real reason to develop for the platform for even the western developers.

It would be great if nintendo had the capacity to successfully launch two pieces of hardware in October this year in time for the holiday rush all over the world and I don't discount that as a possibility at all but doing it worldwide it might be better to space it out by six months or so and have it for the next japanese fiscal year. I do admit that if nintendo were to release wiiu and a 3DS redesign complete with their new eShop/appstore/OS in october instead of what I think might happen, it will be a perfect storm.

You guys get me hyped for Nintendo's E3 conference
, and the rumored Yoshi's Island game by Good Feel
every time I enter this thread.

Brain Training, 2D Mario, Zelda 3DS, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion (for Haloween), maybe Animal Crossing (for the holidays), and surprise games! (
Like DKC3D
) given the current announcements. Very maybe B2W2 for DS, although they may not want to focus on that too much, haha.

It might be a good idea for Nintendo to coincide their redesign with a Japanese Holiday and golden week next year is the perfect time.
WAYYY too early, don't expect a 3DS redesign before fall 2013 at the earliest. Only once has Nintendo done a redesign sooner than 3 years, and that was when they had it planned before the system launch, due to the system being rushed out the door (original DS). And Nintendo isn't going to want to distract consumers from the Wii-U just a few months after its release, especially for no good reason (3DS is doing quite well now that the game floodgates have opened).

I'd say the earliest we hear anything about a 3DS redesign is E3 2013, and that'll only be the case if they decide to release it shortly afterwards (otherwise people would stop buying the first 3DS).

The 3DS XL will come first. Bigger screen, battery, etc. That will tell us if the second stick is a permanent design choice or not because there is no way the 3DS is getting much smaller.

Anth0ny

I was expecting a 3ds lite/xl/whatever the fuck announcement before E3, but that's looking less and less likely. I guess they'll wait it out until later this year. Still expecting it before holiday 2012.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Wait-
tumblr_lx6tjjf3lM1r9x0sdo1_400.gif

-we're now in the double-digits on the countdown for E3!

I'm hoping we don't see anything new at GDC. It'll kind of take away from my E3 hype :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom