• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Sega will even bother to publish any of High Voltage's future projects given how Conduit 2 and that mythological fighting game didn't sell well. Although, Sega's partially to blame due to poor marketing.

Sega is continuing to publish Platinum's games, so...

AzaK

Seems like such a gimmick though. I can't see it being implemented in a way that wouldn't be completely shoehorned for like 98% of possible implementations. Maybe 1 or 2 genuinely good uses.

Yeah but if it can just be built into the Subscreen grips then it doesn't really detract and can be used for the odd time it makes sense. I can see In these cases Nintendo making some sort of meditation thing for a certain demographic.

What about games where you play a criminal, sort of like a reversed LA noire. Take your pulse and possibly combine with facial recognition with the front facing camera (Not sure how good face tech is these days). I can see a few gameplay possibilities. If however all they do is start making every Wii U shooter go "easier or faster" depending on pulse, that would be mundane.

TunaLover

Don't forget Monolithsoft is working in a Wii U game too, I wonder if they can handle multiple projects, as we know now they are developing a 3DS game.

Junction Point also confirmed Epic Mickey 2 for Wii U, and I think that's the list.

Boerseun

Banned
Conduit series makes me snore, that's just me though. It's not for lack of effort, it's just...bleh.

Play Conduit 2 on-line, if you havn't. It has a small but dedicated fanbase, features a wide range of weaponry and upgrades, is superbly balanced, and includes a boatload of interesting maps based on a "verticle space" map design philosophy I have not seen anywhere else. 50+ hours and I'm still not bored of it.

Shiggy

Don't forget Monolithsoft is working in a Wii U game too, I wonder if they can handle multiple projects, as we know now they are developing a 3DS game.

They could do several DS titles and Xenoblade Chronicles at the same time, so I wouldn't worry.

Junction Point also confirmed Epic Mickey 2 for Wii U, and I think that's the list.

Sure? I've only heard of a Wii version.

antonz

They could do several DS titles and Xenoblade Chronicles at the same time, so I wouldn't worry.

Sure? I've only heard of a Wii version.

A credible source says they are working on Wii U but he couldnt say if its Tablet compatability or an actual Wii U version

fernoca

Turning The Grinder into an isometric shooter was a terrible decision. They took a game seemingly everybody wanted and made it into something no one had asked for. Certainly, if we can't have Conduit 3 for Wii U launch, then I would love a revival of the original Wii Grinder project. Heck, they'd be blessed if they gave us both The Grinder and Conduit 3. That would certainly make for some nice variety, and Conduit 2 have shown that they have it in them to grow and improve as an FPS developer.
Wasn't the top-down version the one for PS3 and Xbox 360; while the Wii was still a in first person?

But yeah, Conduit 2 was great; hope to see more of them.

Turning The Grinder into an isometric shooter was a terrible decision. They took a game seemingly everybody wanted and made it into something no one had asked for. Certainly, if we can't have Conduit 3 for Wii U launch, then I would love a revival of the original Wii Grinder project. Heck, they'd be blessed if they gave us both The Grinder and Conduit 3. That would certainly make for some nice variety, and Conduit 2 have shown that they have it in them to grow and improve as an FPS developer.

Only the PS360 version of the Grinder changed to that overhead view. HVS said that the Wii version had not changed. And since it's not likely gonna see release on the Wii, I can only hope that it had changed into a Wii U project over a year ago.

edit: Beaten by Fernoca

Shiggy

The problem of HVS is that they need external funding. That's why both The Grinder and the Animales de la Muerte are yet to enter production.

wsippel

Banned

Monolith already had three teams and is currently building a new studio. I assume two of the teams are working on 3DS games (Honne's team at Monolith Kyoto and the Endless Frontier team at Monolith Tokyo), Takahashi's team does the Wii U game, and the Skyward Sword team might end up supporting Sora on Smash Bros. I didn't mention them for the same reason I didn't mention Retro or EAD - they're not 3rd party.

Boerseun

Banned
Wasn't the top-down version the one for PS3 ad Xbox 360; while the Wii was still a in first person?

But yeah, Conduit 2 was great; hope to see more of them.

Upon being questioned about the Wii version, the HVS guy said they had ceased development on that game altogether and were concentrating on the new Ps3/Xbox 360 isometric version. Wii gamers moaned, as they had been getting hyped for The Grinder for quite some time, while non-Wii gamers failed to show even the slightest interest in the new version.

At this point in time, I'd be surprised if either version was still in development. The official site even lists the game as a mere "unreleased demo", which makes it sound like it was never 100% certain that it would become a full game.

Yes, Conduit 2 kicks ass. More of that please, HVS!

Only the PS360 version of the Grinder changed to that overhead view. HVS said that the Wii version had not changed. And since it's not likely gonna see release on the Wii, I can only hope that it had changed into a Wii U project over a year ago.

Yes, I know. Maybe I should have been clearer in my original post.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Most Web Cams these days have good enough mics that you can speak to someone from a few feet away.
\

It'll have TS4 and Retro's new Metroid Shooter based on the adventures of Anthony Higgs.
:D

I'm not sure about everyone else but you're actually starting to sell me on this lol

TunaLover

I like HVS enthusiasm, they really put alot of effort in their games, I was really impressed by Conduit 2 engine, but the art direction is just fucking awful, please contract a new guy that care of that.

Luigison

I'd love an Excite Truck update that'd use the tablet controller for track, Mii/character, and truck creation/details similar to ModNation Racers, but without the horrible load times. They could even use and let use share designs like they did in Animal Crossing. Of course the track and rear view mirror should stay on the main screen for easy glancing, but it'd be awesome to be able to create the Excite Truck style morphing tracks with the tablet's touch screen.

Boerseun

Banned

Platinum Games games tend to be sub-10 hour affairs. As mentioned before I've put more than 50 hours into Conduit 2, probably closer to 60, most of it spent either on-line or in the off-line split-screen Invasion mode. The game is incredibly balanced, despite the variety of potentially game changing content available, and a treat to play. Get it.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I’m hearing that there is over 150-200 Wii U games currently in development. Nintendo is planning to announce numerous partnerships and collaborations regarding the Wii U at this E3
Seems bs to me, this part the most

Yeah right
Consider this link... Last TGS, Sony announced 100 titles in development for the PSV (26 launch + 74 others) and there were more games that they could have listed. But look how that list includes almost no western support at all. If Sony can muster 100 games from primarily Japan, Nintendo should have no trouble getting 150+ worldwide... especially if publishers go as port-crazy as we expect.

Right. I don't expect as many Wii U games as 3DS games (who would?), and anyway I hope publishers go for quality over quantity this time... no shovelware crap please.

Shovelware will exist on every system that you can put games on.
Go to any retail store and look at the PC shelves.
It's full of Hidden Object and Mystery shit that is low budget and gets a new game every couple of months.

Lausebub

Banned
Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports (bundled with the Wii console)

This was the Wii US launch lineup. 21 games. One pack-in and a huge new launch title. A few new franchises (Red Steel, Rabbids). Madden,NfS,CoD: We can expect these for launch. A bunch of sucky titles and movie games like Cars or Monster 4X4. DBZ as a fighting title. Last but not least Excite Truck and Traum Center as two solid exclusives.
This launch wasn't anything special, but was enoguh for me. Looking at the expected launch games for the Wii U, I'm more than positive about the systems launch. I need one game, though. ONE game that makes really excited about buying the system on day 1. I'm going to do that anyway, but something that basically makes me feel good spending hundreds of euros on machine with games that are out on cheaper systems already. I really hope that Pikmin 3 is ready for launch, loved Pikmin 2 NPC!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This was the Wii US launch lineup. 21 games. One pack-in and a huge new launch title. A few new franchises (Red Steel, Rabbids). Madden,NfS,CoD: We can expect these for launch. A bunch of sucky titles and movie games like Cars or Monster 4X4. DBZ as a fighting title. Last but not least Excite Truck and Traum Center as two solid exclusives.
This launch wasn't anything special, but was enoguh for me. Looking at the expected launch games for the Wii U, I'm more than positive about the systems launch. I need one game, though. ONE game that makes really excited about buying the system on day 1. I'm going to do that anyway, but something that basically makes me feel good spending hundreds of euros on machine with games that are out on cheaper systems already. I really hope that Pikmin 3 is ready for launch, loved Pikmin 2 NPC!

good analysis! I'm with you on this.

I wuold just like to add one additional though: aren't you guys quite pissed off about Nintendo absolut silence about Wii U?

Reggie told us that we should expect Wii U news also before E3...

good analysis! I'm with you on this.

I wuold just like to add one additional though: aren't you guys quite pissed off about Nintendo absolut silence about Wii U?

Reggie told us that we should expect Wii U news also before E3...

No...
This is Nintendo, after all.
And we still have a few months before E3.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No...
This is Nintendo, after all.
And we still have a few months before E3.

Yeah, yeah, I know...but this "ninja" theory about Nintendo, and their "yakuza" style of keeping everything so secret...I don't like it so much, let's say
The only reason why I'm quite "calm" is that probably the last 6 months of my PAL Wii could be the best period in terms of lineup from aa long time 'til now.
From September 11 to June 12: Xenoblade, Kirby, Zelda, Fortune Street, The last story, MarioParty9, Pandora's tower, Rhythm Heaven and Fatal Frame..they are keeping me happily busy :D

Lausebub

Banned
Didn't they confirm Project Café last year at the investors meeting in April? I think we can expect new info at GDC (mostly more rumors) and some Iwata talk about their plans with the system at the meeting. "We plan to launch...blablabla, we have a good launch lineup, good online...blabla, different...blablabla, experience, controller, experience, working hard, expereince...blablabla."

Roo

edit- this will probably be helpful, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

From that list, I'll buy:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Batman: Arkham City
Darksiders II
Untitled Dirt
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Lego City Stories
Pikmin 3
Tekken

Good thing, so far I have saved like $850 just for games and yet, I'm sure we don't even know 20% of Wii U's line up.
I have to wait to see what else is coming. I think I'll start to prostitute myself because I don't know where I'll get more money.
And I'm still thinking to purchase some Wii games. Oh my wallet =(

All I know is that I want an HD Yoshi's Island.

I really hope we finally get to see that rumored Good Feel dev'd YI game at E3. If it exists, I'd definitely prefer it on Wii U than 3DS looking all gloriously bright and happy on my 42 inch plasma. Just so long as it isn't too easy like Epic Yarn.

Luigison

Nintendo could include the vitality sensor in the tablet's handles and instead of just requiring you to be calm in a game like Trauma Center, games like Excite Truck u and Wii Fit u could required you to be excited?

I loved the exercise bikes in college that had a display showing hills that would adjust based on your heart rate as measured through the handles. Imagine tracks on Excite Truck changing based on your Excite! Vitality Sensor has a clinical sounding name. Why not call it the Excite Sensor?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
From that list, I'll buy:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Batman: Arkham City
Darksiders II
Untitled Dirt
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Lego City Stories
Pikmin 3
Tekken

Good thing, so far I have saved like $850 just for games and yet, I'm sure we don't even know 20% of Wii U's line up.
I have to wait to see what else is coming. I think I'll start to prostitute myself because I don't know where I'll get more money.
And I'm still thinking to purchase some Wii games. Oh my wallet =(

Is that list reliable in your opinion?
I mean: obviously we could see additional software presented and announced at E3, both first and third parties.
But I'm also afraid that some of those software could desappear, due to the "phantom" presentation (or "fake" presentation) Nintendo did last year.
I have the idea that a lot of things presented were just "placeholders", if you know what I mean...

Is that list reliable in your opinion?
I mean: obviously we could see additional software presented and announced at E3, both first and third parties.
But I'm also afraid that some of those software could desappear, due to the "phantom" presentation (or "fake" presentation) Nintendo did last year.
I have the idea that a lot of things presented were just "placeholders", if you know what I mean...

Reggie said everything that they showed from third parties was in development for the Wii U.
So we're going with that until told otherwise.

antonz

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Link to this?
That would be insane!
I mean, I was expecting like a 512MB cap, but 2GB?
DAMN!

http://nintendoeverything.com/83513...2gb-file-size-limit-wants-next-game-on-wii-u/
“[WiiWare's] 40MB is horrible, but [3DS's] 2GB is reasonable. Super Meat Boy would have been on WiiWare if we could have had just a few more megabytes of space – you can only compress stuff so much before you have to start cutting out huge parts of your game. Unfortunately, at that point, it just isn’t worth the time.”

Wow...
And this didn't get it's own topic?
I mean... that's as big as the 360's, isn't it?
2GB on a handheld system.
And a jump from 40MB.
Anyone that thinks Nintendo isn't listening to devs is clearly not seeing all the signs.

Yeah, this is seriously awesome news for devs and fans alike. I definitely like this current trend of Nintendo being a combination of more aggressive and reasonable.

antonz

Wow...
And this didn't get it's own topic?
I mean... that's as big as the 360's, isn't it?
2GB on a handheld system.
And a jump from 40MB.
Anyone that thinks Nintendo isn't listening to devs is clearly not seeing all the signs.

I hesitate only cause I hope the Magazine didnt take the comment of disc space and mix it up with the DD talk. Might have to ask team meat on twitter for a comment

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't they confirm Project Café last year at the investors meeting in April? I think we can expect new info at GDC (mostly more rumors) and some Iwata talk about their plans with the system at the meeting. "We plan to launch...blablabla, we have a good launch lineup, good online...blabla, different...blablabla, experience, controller, experience, working hard, expereince...blablabla."
Nintendo sent on the 25th of April 2011 a press release detailing launch of a new system: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

This coincided yes with the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2011. The next scheduled IR event is the Record Date for Year-End Dividends for the 72nd Fiscal Year on the 31st of March. We'll probably get more info there.

shnord

Neo Member
The disc limit for the 3DS is 4GB, though.
Disc? Are we talking about the game cards? Pretty sure the card limit was 2 GB at launch. Are there 4 GB cards now? Well, I guess it has been a year.

A DD limit comparable to the game cards would make sense if Nintendo is "looking into" offering full retail games on the eShop.

Disc? Are we talking about the game cards? Pretty sure the card limit was 2 GB at launch. Are there 4 GB cards now? Well, I guess it has been a year.

A DD limit comparable to the game cards would make sense if Nintendo is "looking into" offering full retail games on the eShop.

RE:R is on a 4GB card.
That's the original reason that Capcom wanted to charge $50 for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom